Auburn's traditional trees poisoned by psycho alabama fan

Ole

Reaction score
Anyone hear about this?
Their tradition is to TP the row of hundred year old trees on a corner of campus after a victory, supposedly a psycho alabama fan poisoned the soil surrounding the trees with industrial strength herbacide and bragged about it on Finebaum's radio show and Alabama's scout site.
Really sick and takes a great college rivalry too far.

I like a good prank as much as the next guy but that went just a bit too far. Hopefully they can figure out who the guy is and I wouldn't be too sad if there was a beating in his future.

That's not some harmless collegiate prank. That's a disgusting act of vandalism and not to mention a crime, so I really hope they find that person and nail his balls to the wall.

I like a good prank as much as the next guy but that went just a bit too far. Hopefully they can figure out who the guy is and I wouldn't be too sad if there was a beating in his future.

The guy was arrested and has $50K bond. As a comparison, Miguel Cabrera was arrested last night on DUI, resisting arrest, etc. and had a bond of $1,350.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6131518

Go Gophers!!

The guy was arrested and has $50K bond. As a comparison, Miguel Cabrera was arrested last night on DUI, resisting arrest, etc. and had a bond of $1,350.

Go Gophers!!

Wow, and he's a 62 year old man?!?!? I figured that was probably the work of some dumb and inebriated college punk, but a grown man, wow. Like I say, I hope they throw the damn book at him.

Toomers_Destroyed_medium.gif

The guy they arrested is 62 years old. I had imagined some young foolish person did it, but not a man into is 7th decade of life. I thought (well hoped) some wisdom comes with age. What a dolt.

I will never understand vandalism. What satisfaction is there in ruining something that belongs to others. Pretty hard to replace a 130 year old tree.

I will never understand vandalism. What satisfaction is there in ruining something that belongs to others. Pretty hard to replace a 130 year old tree.

Well it's pretty easy, it just takes a lot of time...

Sadly, this guy is probably Pantherhawk in 30 years. Thanksfully herbacide probably doesn't penetrate permafrost :cool:

Jail is probably the safest place for this guy right now. I have a feeling a gool old fashioned whoopin' is in his future.

Killing the trees, not so good. Vandalizing them as a prank by a college aged kid, completely fine.

The most odd thing is that the guy is 62!

Supposedly the trees were going to need to be replaced anyways as they were dying before this. I am not condoning this however. The alleged tree killer is a retired Alabama state trooper.

Supposedly the trees were going to need to be replaced anyways as they were dying before this.

Where did you hear that? Oaks generally live several hundred years. These trees are basically teenagers in tree terms. I'd be very surprised if that were true.

The guy they arrested is 62 years old. I had imagined some young foolish person did it, but not a man into is 7th decade of life. I thought (well hoped) some wisdom comes with age. What a dolt.

What's worse is the manner Auburn discovered the herbicide is this guy actually called a radio station and reported himself, his hometown, the chemical used and stated "Roll Tide."

SEC! SEC! SEC!

Not surprised in the least that this was a 62-year old man. Actually, that's what I pictured. I try to respect my elders and all but the SEC is full of trash, young and old.

You can bet there are diehard/redneck Auburn fans already plotting revenge. The longleaf pines in Tuscaloosa should be afraid, very afraid.

Go Gophers!!

Thank you. Hey, this old man pulled a horsecrap move (and just gave Auburn's teams fuel against Bama), and he should be punished.. But to the extent you flaming tree-huggers are calling for? No.

Get some sense, people. Jesus.

I consider myself civilized, but I think rather than jail, maybe a little old-time frontier justice is in order. Hang the offender by his ankles from the lowest bough on one of the trees and allow each member of the Auburn team to take a swing at his a** with a paddle.

Here's a funny take on this.

From the Stanford Tree:

Good evening,

Last month, our fellow trees, our way of photosynthetic life, and our very freedom to provide both shade and a justification for leaf blowers came under a deliberate and premeditated attack.

As you know, an Alabama man allegedly poured herbicide around the oak trees in Toomer's Corner at Auburn University. The victims were 130 years old, beloved by all, a thread in the fabric of campus life. They are our brothers and sisters -- our monoecious and dioecious siblings, if you will -- and their apparent poisoning has filled us with disbelief, sadness and a quiet, unyielding anger.

This wanton act of unprovoked anti-arboreal aggression will not stand.

The attacks were in service of a hateful, rivalry-driven ideology. The threat of Roll Tideism is real. But make no mistake: It is not the way of trees. We are a peaceful lot. We are -- both literally and poetically -- giving. We provide shelter, kindling, an object to climb, a place for children's forts, raw material for building frames, props for professional wrestling, parquet floors for basketball, and fine paneling for both private jet interiors and ultra-posh locker rooms, both of which impress football recruits. And in return? We are deluged with man-made acid rain, hacked down with impunity in the Amazon and elsewhere, used and discarded at Christmas -- left to shrivel and rot, dusted with tinsel and broken dreams, on the world's curbs -- never consulted during global warming discussions -- hello? -- and appropriated for online lending endorsements without a single dime of compensation.

And now this.

For years, the brave oaks of Auburn suffered the indignity of being covered with toilet paper -- made from slain trees! -- following Auburn football victories. We did nothing. Said nothing. We are trees. We were pretty happy with the decline of newspapers and the rise of e-readers. But no longer. No more. Now, we rise. From this moment forward, we fight back with all of our might, with every resource at our disposal. Let the world hear us, loud and clear: The next time an acorn falls on your head, it won't be the result of gravity and bad timing. It will not be an accident.

Tonight, we are all Toomer's Corner.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6133271

Well said, Tree. Today, I too, am deciduous.

Go Gophers!

This idiot named his kids, Crimson (girl) and Bear (boy).

:confused: *sigh* :confused:

Top Bottom