Auburn fan here

Yeah, we don’t know the extent of the injury. Someone said broken leg, but that hasn’t been verified. I’m not optimistic that he’ll play.

Penn State has a great front 7, like Auburn does. On many occasions, they used 6 OL plus a 275 TE to neutralize their strength. It worked. The RT also missed the Iowa game, and they had trouble protecting the QB. He came back for the Northwestern game, and played the first couple series of the Wisconsin game. I don’t know whether you watched, but they dominated the 1st Quarter until he got injured. They couldn’t use the 6 OL package without him, and the 275 lb blocking TE was out too.

So...we're screwed. Is that TE even going to play that was out?

It depends on whether they can prepare an adequate replacement for Faalele. Having three weeks to game plan helps. Nobody knows whether Paulson will play, but he’s obviously easier to replace.

Derrick Brown IS playing! I can't wait to watch him against Minnesota's OL! Gonna be a great game! I only live 3.5 hours from Tampa. I think I'm going to the game now to see DB one last time in the Auburn uniform!

Thanks for the update. He's probably a 1st or at least a 2nd round pick, so yes, his playing in the game makes a big impact.

"Number five of Auburn has a handful of games left to continue to bolster his resume and put together additional solid film. Up there with Ohio State’s Chase Young, Derrick Brown looks not only like a top five player in this year’s draft class, but a top prospect in the upcoming 2020 NFL Draft. "

There is absolutely no reason for him to play in the Outback bowl...except that he's a team first guy.

You probably shouldn't watch the game, dude. I'm worried about you. Hunker down with some NYD treats and watch a couple parades.

I am intrigued by this game. First, I love that we are playing Auburn. Great team, good fans. But, I am back to pessimistic mode for this game. I am just hoping that we get real creative and are healthy enough to make it look good. A win would be a great, great victory. Second, I wish we could play an Auburn caliber team every couple of years.

One thing that gives me some optimism is how well this team played this season when given multiple weeks to prepare. Especially Tanner Morgan.

Purdue - 21/22, 396, 4/0

Penn State -18/20, 339, 3/0

It’s up to the staff to make sure he has enough time to set up and throw. Johnson and Bateman will probably get open at will.

"Number five of Auburn has a handful of games left to continue to bolster his resume and put together additional solid film. Up there with Ohio State’s Chase Young, Derrick Brown looks not only like a top five player in this year’s draft class, but a top prospect in the upcoming 2020 NFL Draft. "

There is absolutely no reason for him to play in the Outback bowl...except that he's a team first guy.

What about the love of the game? Most guys who are really good at football also enjoy it, and want to experience the final game of their college career. Go look at the Twitter for a lot of accomplished pro players...they still feature their college photos, not their pro ones. It's a memory with his friends for the rest of his life and he doesn't want to skip it.

Bryan Matthews
@BMattAU
Gus Malzahn expects Marlon Davidson and the rest of Auburn's draft eligible players to play in the Outback Bowl.

Looks like we will be at full strength :party:

Bryan Matthews
@BMattAU
Gus Malzahn expects Marlon Davidson and the rest of Auburn's draft eligible players to play in the Outback Bowl.

When I saw the news that Brown was playing I figured the other draft eligible guys would follow his lead. Tough to justify sitting out when the best prospect on your team isn't going to.

As has probably been mentioned one of our LBs is sitting out but his decision may have a lot to do with injuries as he was pretty banged up for the majority of the season.

I'm glad all your guys are playing. Our fans love to put * on every win so at least now we don't have to worry about that * being applied if we win the bowl game. :)

Bryan Matthews
@BMattAU

Unfortunately Gophers will NOT.

Starting linebacker Kamal Martin will be out to focus on the draft and starting right tackle Daniel Faalele appears to be out with a leg injury but I haven't heard anything official on him being out. Only Gopherhole speculation that his recovery time for his injury spans beyond bowl season. If so, this is unfortunate as he has been a media focal point all season due to his massive size (6'9", 400 pounds) and although he has had some rough patches, overall he has played quite well in what is only his 4th season of organized football. This also has an impact on line play because the Gophers are not very deep in the O line. Probably the biggest reason for success this season has been it being the best season injury-wise that I can remember in Gopher football. It has had the effect of making the team "deeper" than it actually is.

Unfortunately Gophers will NOT.

Starting linebacker Kamal Martin will be out to focus on the draft and starting right tackle Daniel Faalele appears to be out with a leg injury but I haven't heard anything official on him being out. Only Gopherhole speculation that his recovery time for his injury spans beyond bowl season. If so, this is unfortunate as he has been a media focal point all season due to his massive size (6'9", 400 pounds) and although he has had some rough patches, overall he has played quite well in what is only his 4th season of organized football. This also has an impact on line play because the Gophers are not very deep in the O line. Probably the biggest reason for success this season has been it being the best season injury-wise that I can remember in Gopher football. It has had the effect of making the team "deeper" than it actually is.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Faalele, that's a big dude.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Faalele, that's a big dude.

He is massive and just scratching the surface of what he might be able to become as a football player. Moves really well for a guy his size and is still very raw from a technique standpoint.

adding on to those comments about two top players being out for the Outback Bowl:

As a long time Gopher fan it is natural to assume gloom and doom because of stuff like this. But there is a recent history of the Gophers overcoming "bowl adversity" to surprise me.

1. In the Holiday Bowl a few years back a sexual assault situation (that eventually led to the firing of then-coach Tracy Claeys) absolutely decimated the secondary just as Washington State and their Air Raid offense was announced as the opponent for the Holiday Bowl. The entire Gopher team nearly boycotted the bowl, the secondary was severely decimated, and it was a very good Washington State opponent with a built in focus on the passing game. The Gophers shocked everybody and won that game.

2. The Gophers were underdogs for their bowl last year against Georgia Tech and even after being established as underdogs, lost a couple important players as they focused on the draft (including the top linebacker and an offensive tackle). I wasn't feeling too good going into that game as it appeared it was going to be a spirited Georgia Tech squad anxious to send their outgoing coach on his way with a win. But, the Gophers not only won but blew out Georgia Tech in the process.

So, does this somehow mean I think the Gophers will win the Outback Bowl? No. At the very least the laws of averages have to catch up at some point and every bowl game is different, treated differently, played differently, and comprised of different teams. I agree the Gophers are rightfully underdogs for the game but if anything, previous surprises at least give me hope for the game and I wouldn't be shocked if the Gophers pull off the upset. Perhaps surprised a bit, but not shocked. As fans, we tend to focus only on our team and see a win as a result of the team playing well and a loss as a result of our team playing poorly. But in reality both teams have their say and I'm sure Auburn playing well or poorly will have its own effect on the game.

It is my understanding that the Auburn fans have rented out the Gyms and beds at all 5 YMCAs in Tampa to hold their pre and post game gatherings and beds. Is this true?

https://www.tampaymca.org/join-us/membership-2018/

I guess the Auburn folks will have to drink adult beverages in their cars before entering the YMCAs because I don't think they allow hard beverages on their premises. :cool: :drink:

Last edited:

Realistically think they have to score first to have a legitimate shot.. but i'm gonna believe that the Gophers are gonna win this, until i actually see them not do it. Lost a little bit of the magic at the end of the year, but it was there throughout the season and i'm really hoping that the seniors (and Winfield Jr.) who do play, can go out with a gigantic BANG! Really appreciate that class. Feels weird to say this in regards to an Axe game, but for me personally, a win over a team as good as Auburn (at full strength no less) would erase the sting of the WI smackdown almost completely.

Top Bottom