Auburn fan here

auburn is my second favorite team by far, and i mean that sincerely. my only problem with auburn fans is their pavlovian response to anything even remotely related to football. i see it all over my social media.

"WDE!"

doesn't matter what is being talked about, people are constantly yelling it whether the it is appropriate for the situation or not.

oak trees die from poisoning:

"WDE!"

cam newton's dad admits to pay-for-play:

"WAR EAGLE!"

auburn's long time announcer dies in a tragic car accident:

"RIP! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!1!"

ski-u-mah, gosh darn it!

Honestly last time I watched an entire auburn game they put up about 700 on Purdue
Malzahn hit on everything he tried that day...I'm pretty confident it won't happen like that in Tampa.

The one wild card is the trade we just made at OC, lost Dillingham to Norvell and FSU and picked up Chad Morris (recently canned at Arkansas). Under Malzahn "OC "has been only a title, in fact this year he publicly acknowleged that he would be the play caller. This relationship has been incredibly frustrating as Gus is a hardheaded as a wooden Indian and on game day he generally looks like a lunatic bickering with offensive assistants (WR coach Burns is the favorite target typically). It will be interesting for Auburn fans to see if Gus trusts Morris enough to finally, legitimately, seek input on offense from anywhere outside the narrow space in his head.

Welcome!

As one of the more cautious and less optimistic users,

That doesn't even come close to how low you view the Gophers. You have to be the most shocked person in the world that we are even ranked at this point, assume in your opinion we should probably be ranked up in the 40s or something like that.

It isn't crazy to think that Auburn is the better team or has the edge heading into this matchup but the way you talk we may as well just skip the game entirely because clearly we have no shot of even competing.

Thankfully the vast majority of actual fans don't echo your sentiments and think we should at least try to show up and beat Auburn.

Malzahn hit on everything he tried that day...I'm pretty confident it won't happen like that in Tampa.

The one wild card is the trade we just made at OC, lost Dillingham to Norvell and FSU and picked up Chad Morris (recently canned at Arkansas). Under Malzahn "OC "has been only a title, in fact this year he publicly acknowleged that he would be the play caller. This relationship has been incredibly frustrating as Gus is a hardheaded as a wooden Indian and on game day he generally looks like a lunatic bickering with offensive assistants (WR coach Burns is the favorite target typically). It will be interesting for Auburn fans to see if Gus trusts Morris enough to finally, legitimately, seek input on offense from anywhere outside the narrow space in his head.

Wouldn't expect Morris to be all that involved in the gameplan for the bowl game. He doesn't know the personnel and he has to get transitioned from his old job to his new one.

First I want to thank you for having me here. I am a fan of your coach and team. Coach Fleck definitely has your team heading in the right direction.

I will comment on a few of the previously mentioned topics:

After we were out of the SEC Championship race we had to set new goals. The new goal is a ten win season. Brown could have gone in the first round of last years NFL draft. He chose to come back for his senior season. I would be really surprised if he went against everything that he has done and said in the past and sat out this game. However there is good news for Minnesota. Brown is double teamed and held on most plays and it is seldom flagged. I expect Davidson to play as well.

I expect a competitive game. Your quick passing game offsets the effectiveness of our pass rush. I don't expect you to have great success running the football. Our offensive line is average at best. Against good competition we have not run the ball effectively. Our passing game is good however we don't have a consistent second wide receiver. We believe that our wide receiver Schwartz is the fastest man in college football. Due to primarily injuries he has not put up huge numbers. Williams is our most consistent wide receiver. I believe that the game will be decided in the second half.

If you do attend The Iron Bowl come to Auburn for two reasons. First seeing the eagle fly before the game is fun no matter who you cheer for and secondly Auburn actually celebrates wins unlike UAT who expects to win every game by 50. I am in favor of naming the last Iron Bowl win "Unfair in Jordan Hare". Saban said the play that Gus tricked him into too many players on the field was unfair.

Dillingham's departure is no big deal. I am very excited to have Chad Morris as our new offensive coordinator. Chad Morris and Art Briles are probably the only two offensive minds that Gus will listen to.

Auburn Family Forum is the more friendly board to visit in my opinion. You will be treated well there.

I agree Bo Jackson is awesome.

I am looking forward to a good game. Again thanks for having me here.

First I want to thank you for having me here. I am a fan of your coach and team. Coach Fleck definitely has your team heading in the right direction.

I will comment on a few of the previously mentioned topics:

After we were out of the SEC Championship race we had to set new goals. The new goal is a ten win season. Brown could have gone in the first round of last years NFL draft. He chose to come back for his senior season. I would be really surprised if he went against everything that he has done and said in the past and sat out this game. However there is good news for Minnesota. Brown is double teamed and held on most plays and it is seldom flagged. I expect Davidson to play as well.

I expect a competitive game. Your quick passing game offsets the effectiveness of our pass rush. I don't expect you to have great success running the football. Our offensive line is average at best. Against good competition we have not run the ball effectively. Our passing game is good however we don't have a consistent second wide receiver. We believe that our wide receiver Schwartz is the fastest man in college football. Due to primarily injuries he has not put up huge numbers. Williams is our most consistent wide receiver. I believe that the game will be decided in the second half.

If you do attend The Iron Bowl come to Auburn for two reasons. First seeing the eagle fly before the game is fun no matter who you cheer for and secondly Auburn actually celebrates wins unlike UAT who expects to win every game by 50. I am in favor of naming the last Iron Bowl win "Unfair in Jordan Hare". Saban said the play that Gus tricked him into too many players on the field was unfair.

Dillingham's departure is no big deal. I am very excited to have Chad Morris as our new offensive coordinator. Chad Morris and Art Briles are probably the only two offensive minds that Gus will listen to.

Auburn Family Forum is the more friendly board to visit in my opinion. You will be treated well there.

I agree Bo Jackson is awesome.

I am looking forward to a good game. Again thanks for having me here.
Welcome!

In case you haven't heard, this bowl is a really big deal to us. This is only the 2nd New Year's Day bowl for the Gophers since the Rose Bowls of the early 60s, the 2014 Citrus Bowl being the other. We normally get passed over by other Big Ten teams in bowl selections. The Sun Bowl and Music City bowls were typical destinations in the past. We ended up in the Sun Bowl one year even with a 9-3 record. Having a big name opponent like Auburn is another big plus. One of Music City bowls was really special going up against Alabama, which we did beat by the way.

Looking forward to an exciting game.

Welcome!

In case you haven't heard, this bowl is a really big deal to us. This is only the 2nd New Year's Day bowl for the Gophers since the Rose Bowls of the early 60s, the 2014 Citrus Bowl being the other. We normally get passed over by other Big Ten teams in bowl selections. The Sun Bowl and Music City bowls were typical destinations in the past. We ended up in the Sun Bowl one year even with a 9-3 record. Having a big name opponent like Auburn is another big plus. One of Music City bowls was really special going up against Alabama, which we did beat by the way.

Looking forward to an exciting game.

Your team has had a great season. I don't believe Coach Fleck will let this game get out of hand like Purdue last year. That was on Purdue's coaching staff. If Minnesota does well in this bowl game the coaching staff can go to higher rated recruits and say look what we have accomplished this season. You could be the difference in us getting to the Rose Bowl next season. I am always in favor of beating UAT!

curious how Auburn fans feel about the Morris hire. Arkansas fans made a Highlight video encompassing just how much they think he’s the worst coach ever. It’s a very unflattering video. Maybe he was in over his head at Arkansas, or maybe he just isn’t as much of HC material as he is OC material. But many of the losses he had at Arkansas were baffling to say the least. I guess I’m just surprised with how badly things went there, for Auburn to take a shot with him.

curious how Auburn fans feel about the Morris hire. Arkansas fans made a Highlight video encompassing just how much they think he’s the worst coach ever. It’s a very unflattering video. Maybe he was in over his head at Arkansas, or maybe he just isn’t as much of HC material as he is OC material. But many of the losses he had at Arkansas were baffling to say the least. I guess I’m just surprised with how badly things went there, for Auburn to take a shot with him.

In my opinion Kevin Steele and Chad Morris are the best hires Gus has made. We will never really know what went on at Arkansas. What matters to Auburn people is that Gus now has an offensive mind that is on the same level as him. At least in his mind even if not in reality. Have you checked out what he did as the offensive coordinator at Clemson? All that aside I am not sure that it has any impact on the bowl game with Minnesota. However from the Auburn fans outlook moving forward next year it has significant impact.

Auburn fans have been holding out hope for Morris/Freeze/Freshwater, er Kiffin for quite a while. Most would tell you it's as good or better than when we got Muschamp back on the defensive side.

Morris was doomed from the start at Arkansas...converting from what he had to what he wanted was like trying to build a Ferrari with John Deere parts. His offensive scheme was as far from what Big Bert had built in Fayetteville it would have taken at least four years of recruiting the personnel he wanted.

That said, I do believe Morris was in over his head as a HC in the SEC. The redemption prospect is one of the compelling reasons that I hold out hope for Gus letting him take the keys to the offense. In my heart of hearts though, I realize I'm probably peeing up a rope by being even the least bit optimistic.

In my opinion Kevin Steele and Chad Morris are the best hires Gus has made. We will never really know what went on at Arkansas. What matters to Auburn people is that Gus now has an offensive mind that is on the same level as him. At least in his mind even if not in reality. Have you checked out what he did as the offensive coordinator at Clemson? All that aside I am not sure that it has any impact on the bowl game with Minnesota. However from the Auburn fans outlook moving forward next year it has significant impact.
Honestly, no I haven’t looking into what he did outside of Arkansas. I’m not suggesting that the hire was a dumb move. I was just surprised, seeing that his most recent piece of work on his resume didn’t turn out well at all. It’s kind of like with Mike McCarthy and the Packers, he flopped there as HC and now he’s having trouble getting a new “in” around the NFL. No one wants him because of his performance as the Packers HC. I hope the best for Auburn, and like I said maybe he’s meant for the OC position and not HC material.

Honestly, no I haven’t looking into what he did outside of Arkansas. I’m not suggesting that the hire was a dumb move. I was just surprised, seeing that his most recent piece of work on his resume didn’t turn out well at all. It’s kind of like with Mike McCarthy and the Packers, he flopped there as HC and now he’s having trouble getting a new “in” around the NFL. No one wants him because of his performance as the Packers HC. I hope the best for Auburn, and like I said maybe he’s meant for the OC position and not HC material.

McCarthy flopped as Packers coach??? He was there 12 years and won a Super Bowl.

McCarthy flopped as Packers coach??? He was there 12 years and won a Super Bowl.
I’m saying he had 2 bad years in a row and then they got rid of him, and now he can’t find a way back in.

I'm sorry you got the Gophers. They are fierce, mean scratchers

Auburn fans. Looks like your OC left for FSU (is that right?). If so, how does that impact your game prep and the game itself?
Probably doesn't impact us very much. Gus calls the plays and we just added Chad Morris as OC, we might see a few new wrinkles in the passing game

My prediction -- Your DL studs skip the game to get ready for the NFL combines (which makes sense for them to do), Capt'n Morgan gets time to pass and pillages your secondary, we get a lead, and then play possession ball to run out the clock (we're very good at making long drives that consume massive amounts of clock time).

So looks like I’ve been right so far, Derrick Brown, our best defensive lineman and 1st round draft pick is playing

I’m saying he had 2 bad years in a row and then they got rid of him, and now he can’t find a way back in.
He turned down a head coaching job last year to spend time with his family and will be hired really soon.

May I just say that I root for Auburn every year in the Iron Bowl going back to about 1988. Glad you beat Lil Al.

So looks like I’ve been right so far, Derrick Brown, our best defensive lineman and 1st round draft pick is playing
That certainly hurts MN, but I'm all for teams being at full strength and treating bowl games like real contests rather than exhibitions. HOpe everyone on both teams is healthy and chooses to play. Should be fun!

That certainly hurts MN, but I'm all for teams being at full strength and treating bowl games like real contests rather than exhibitions. HOpe everyone on both teams is healthy and chooses to play. Should be fun!
Honestly I do as well. I want both Minnesota and Auburn at full strength. Guys, this could be a great and entertaining game with both teams at full tilt!

Honestly I do as well. I want both Minnesota and Auburn at full strength. Guys, this could be a great and entertaining game with both teams at full tilt!

Our 6’8” 400 lb RT probably won’t play, so we won’t be at full strength. Brown sitting out would have evened that out a bit. I doubt we’ll be able to run the ball effectively.

Our 6’8” 400 lb RT probably won’t play, so we won’t be at full strength. Brown sitting out would have evened that out a bit. I doubt we’ll be able to run the ball effectively.
Is he hurt? I was really looking forward to seeing him on the field in person.

Yes. Part of the reason why we got killed by Wisconsin so bad is that he went out with a leg injury. A lot of people hoped to have him back for the Bowl game to help, but it's looking doubtful at best. Hence why not having one or both of your DE playing might have made the matchup a little more even. With them playing and our guy out, we should probably wave the white flag.

Yeah, we don’t know the extent of the injury. Someone said broken leg, but that hasn’t been verified. I’m not optimistic that he’ll play.

Penn State has a great front 7, like Auburn does. On many occasions, they used 6 OL plus a 275 TE to neutralize their strength. It worked. The RT also missed the Iowa game, and they had trouble protecting the QB. He came back for the Northwestern game, and played the first couple series of the Wisconsin game. I don’t know whether you watched, but they dominated the 1st Quarter until he got injured. They couldn’t use the 6 OL package without him, and the 275 lb blocking TE was out too.

Top Bottom