Auburn and mn kids

killcrew

Reaction score
Does it seem kinda weird to you guys that Auburn has offered johnson from osseo and also jonah. Their both mn kids and auburn is in alabama which seems kinda weird to offer not just one mn kid but two. Ik jonah is very good and deserves an offer from auburn, but the johnson kid offer seems just weird.

thoughts?

Hopefully the strong possibility of them being on probation in the near future plays a role in their decisions. Although it appears the NCAA is currently more concerned with Boise St. tennis recruits sleeping on dorm room floors than boosters paying football players...... shocking. Hopefully those cheaters at Auburn get what's coming to them before NSD.

To me it's not strange. There isn't a lot of loyalty to the gophers in this state, so when a nationally prominent team wants to recruit here, they do and with some degree of success.

Top prospects are top prospects, and top programs will offer them wherever they are.
The midwest produces top/elite offensive linemen, it's no secret to anybody.
Pirsig and Johnson are tall and nimble athletes with big frames, they have NFL left tackle potential.
I don't know what Johnson's thinking, but it would be great to see some of these BCS level talents stay home and build something. I'd be careful of falling in love with Auburn or any SEC team if I was a mid level prospect though, it's too easy for them to overcommit and then "cool" on a kid late in the process.

Auburn D-coordinator

I could be wrong on this but I do believe Auburns D-coordinator is a former Gophers assistant coach who may still have some connections in the state. He may be the one recruiting these men.

This is not strange at all. Ted Roof, former Gopher DC, moved to Auburn after only a year in Minneapolis. He is a good DC, but was not a good fit with Brewster. Roof became somewhat familiar with instate Minnesota talent and has been instrumental, I believe, in the recent interest in top Minnesota talent.

In terms of measurables, Will Johnson is basically Ra'Shede Hageman. As a HS senior, Hageman was listed at 6'6", 251, and reported a 4.75. Johnson is currently listed at 6'7", 245, and reports a 4.8. Hageman had offers from many of the big names, including Florida, Nebraska, Ohio St., Oklahoma, etc. Hageman is now listed at 6'6", 302. If Johnson grows into his frame, it's quite easy to picture him in that same range. As Ole already stated, the "raw material" is there for Johnson to be an elite LT. He just picked up offers from Boston College and Ole Miss as well. It's going to be very tough for the U to get as good of an in-state 2012 class as we all want to have, because the depth and quality of prospects is really, really high this year.

Auburn is the most consistently dirty program in the SEC, even worse than Tennessee, and that is hard to do. If these kids go there, I will be really disappointed. The Posse will eventually get them again.

Auburn's head coach was just at Iowa State a few years ago. I'm sure in that time he built relationships with HS coaches in the cities and those relationships have continued.

You want to back that up with some quantifiable facts there champ?

I guess I don't really know how to rank the dirtiness of programs but it is without question that Auburn has had issues with the NCAA.

-1957: Auburn was under sanctions the year they "won" the Nat'l Championship with Ohio St, but they weren't allowed to play in the post season because of NCAA sanctions. (The Coach was Shug Jordan). Shug Jordan kept coaching until 1975.
-1981: Pat Dye was hired as coach of Auburn. He was eventually forced out in the early 90's because because of NCAA violations (boosters paying players) and it came with a big expose on 60 minutes. This led to NCAA sanctions (losing scholorships, couldn't compete in the post season or on TV). This is when Bowden went undefeated with Auburn but couldn't compete in the post season.
-Terry Bowden took over and was eventually booted out by their board of trustees. Bowden admitted that when he arrived at Auburn there was a system in place to pay their players. He also admitted to continuing that system, only with the kids who were already there. So Bowden also admitted to allowing boosters to pay his players. Now, there are also a ton of rumors that Bowden's desire to end this practice is what eventually cost him his job. He left the school with a gigantic golden parachute with a very strict confidentiality clause.
-Tuberville took over for Bowden. There have been allegations by Tubberville's players that while he was the coach, the same boosters also systematically paid them. There was a peice on HBO about this. Tuberville also left with that same Golden Parachute and amidst those same whispers about him wanting to end this practice.
-Chizik: Auburn guy who was essentially single handidly picked up these same strong booster organizations for being an "Auburn guy". There are no facts (yet) to suggest Chizik cheated, but there is a ton of proverbial smoke with the Cam Newton situation.

So in sum, from 1957-present, all of their coaches have been accused of (Tuberville and Chizik), been caught (Dye and Jordan) or admitted to coaching in a program where the players are getting paid (Bowden)...except for a 6 year span from 1975-1981 (the least succesful era in Auburn football).

right, so you could have stopped typing right there.

The other guys said that Auburn is the dirtiest program in the SEC (definitely debateable but they are obviously up there) and you demanded facts to substantiate such an opinion. I showed you a laundry list of their offenses as to clue you in on why he (and probably most people) would come to the conclusion that Auburn runs a dirty program and evidently that struck a chord with you. There is really no way to argue that Auburn isn't one of the dirtiest programs in the SEC and therefore the country, so I guess I should have just expected some glib remark.

By the way, I have no dog in this fight. To me, I like the SEC schools in this order...Vandy and then everybody else. You obviously do, so c'mon hit me with another one of those snarky remarks in lieu of a common sense debate.

My favorite Auburn Story

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DXK/is_23_16/ai_59019429/

CINCINNATI, OHIO -- The official statement given via Jack Brennan, public relations director for the Cincinnati Bengals, is: "James Brooks was able to function and perform in his football role while with the Bengals. No one was aware there was a problem."

The "problem" he refers to was the revelation that occurred during a hearing in Judge Steve Martin's Hamilton County, Ohio, courtroom last month regarding delinquent child support payments in excess of $110,000. James Brooks could not read the court documents; this after graduating from Warner Robins High School in Georgia in 1977 and after spending at least four years at Auburn University in Alabama.When asked by the judge how he graduated from Auburn, Brooks said, "I didn't have to go to class."

Back at Warner Robins High School, Lynn Shephard, secretary of more than 20 years is quick to point out that, "Reading was always [Brooks'] problem. No one here knew how he got into Auburn ... much less how he made it through. We knew he couldn't read. There was just no way.

Doug Barfield, who was head football coach of the Auburn Tigers from 1976 through 1980, says that at the time, many people knew Brooks was illiterate. "Even when I met with his mother and recruited him," he says, "reading was a concern on both James' and our part.

When Saulsbury then began asking Brooks how he made it through Auburn, he told her he would give another student his college identification card and they would take the test in his place. Research papers and essays, she says, were always given to him in advance, yet he would hand them in as his own. "This is something he bragged about," she says.

The Registrar's office at Auburn says that Brooks left the University in 1980 without a degree in his chosen major of vocational distributive education.

The other guys said that Auburn is the dirtiest program in the SEC (definitely debateable but they are obviously up there) and you demanded facts to substantiate such an opinion. I showed you a laundry list of their offenses as to clue you in on why he (and probably most people) would come to the conclusion that Auburn runs a dirty program and evidently that struck a chord with you. There is really no way to argue that Auburn isn't one of the dirtiest programs in the SEC and therefore the country, so I guess I should have just expected some glib remark.

By the way, I have no dog in this fight. To me, I like the SEC schools in this order...Vandy and then everybody else. You obviously do, so c'mon hit me with another one of those snarky remarks in lieu of a common sense debate.

i can't understand a word you're typing.

If I were a high school football player I would laugh in the face of anyone that tried to get me to move down to Alabama.

Go to one AU football game with Auburn fans and you'll see and feel the passion. it is awesome!

if you ignore...

Go to one AU football game with Auburn fans and you'll see and feel the passion. it is awesome!

Ignorance, unveiled racism, and terrible behavior towards other team's fans, then it's a little slice of heaven.

I've been to three Auburn games, including their first "home" game against Alabama, or what a non-southern friend in attendance referred to as "The Who cheats better Bowl".
I did not wear Auburn colors, I was in Maroon and Gold, and spent a large part of the evenings hearing about it. I found it funny that a group of people who hadn't won a title (sort of) since 1957, were telling me about how Minnesota had never been any good.
I witnessed a group of White Auburn fans beating up on two Black fans of East Tennessee State, and of course the Cops hauled the ETSU fans to the "holding" cell under Jordan-Hare. Racially motivated? I thought so, but you can decide.

Funny, isn't it?

I guess I don't really know how to rank the dirtiness of programs but it is without question that Auburn has had issues with the NCAA.

-1957: Auburn was under sanctions the year they "won" the Nat'l Championship with Ohio St, but they weren't allowed to play in the post season because of NCAA sanctions. (The Coach was Shug Jordan). Shug Jordan kept coaching until 1975.
-1981: Pat Dye was hired as coach of Auburn. He was eventually forced out in the early 90's because because of NCAA violations (boosters paying players) and it came with a big expose on 60 minutes. This led to NCAA sanctions (losing scholorships, couldn't compete in the post season or on TV). This is when Bowden went undefeated with Auburn but couldn't compete in the post season.
-Terry Bowden took over and was eventually booted out by their board of trustees. Bowden admitted that when he arrived at Auburn there was a system in place to pay their players. He also admitted to continuing that system, only with the kids who were already there. So Bowden also admitted to allowing boosters to pay his players. Now, there are also a ton of rumors that Bowden's desire to end this practice is what eventually cost him his job. He left the school with a gigantic golden parachute with a very strict confidentiality clause.
-Tuberville took over for Bowden. There have been allegations by Tubberville's players that while he was the coach, the same boosters also systematically paid them. There was a peice on HBO about this. Tuberville also left with that same Golden Parachute and amidst those same whispers about him wanting to end this practice.
-Chizik: Auburn guy who was essentially single handidly picked up these same strong booster organizations for being an "Auburn guy". There are no facts (yet) to suggest Chizik cheated, but there is a ton of proverbial smoke with the Cam Newton situation.

So in sum, from 1957-present, all of their coaches have been accused of (Tuberville and Chizik), been caught (Dye and Jordan) or admitted to coaching in a program where the players are getting paid (Bowden)...except for a 6 year span from 1975-1981 (the least succesful era in Auburn football).

A list almost identical to this got SMU the death sentence, and Auburn continues to get slaps on the wrist or they go unpunished.

If I were a high school football player I would laugh in the face of anyone that tried to get me to move down to Alabama.

They say the same thing of Ala. high school players going up to Minn.

People are provincial by nature - proven throughout history.

Troll much?

Alright who's going to oblige with what high school athletes do when someone tries to get them to go up to North Dakota.:rolleyes:

Actually its kinda like Alabama up there with really long and cold winters. Really the worst of both Alabama AND Minnesota.

Unfortunately this is probably true...I think for the Southern kids its mostly due to weather. My veiled point was more political and cultural, though.

Auburn is an average school at best. It could not get into the BigTen if it was located in Illinois, was rated number one in 25 sports, and had 100k people at every game. They have the greatest legacy of cheating in college football. The write-ups on their chronic cheating that were published in one of the large Southern papers were unbelievable. They have deserved the death penalty more than SMU ever did, and they have been a literal Peyton Place of corruption with the head of the Board of Governors actually making the decisions on when the FB coach gets fired. Events such as his personally interviewing Bobby Petrino for the head coach's job while TommyTubberville was still employed as head coach are classic Auburn fare, and very few people at Auburn would have any problem with it.
If you have not read any of those stories, you should.
Auburn is a nice little town whose biggest advantage economically and athletically is being 80 miles from Atlanta. It has always cheated, and as long as the SEC lets Tennessee, Auburn, MS St, Ole Miss, SoCar, LSU, KY, and Alabama cheat, they always will. Don't let the fact that Alabama does not have to pay players with Saban there fool you, when he is gone, they will be happy to have the next guy do whatever he has to do to win. I have no idea why Georgia and Florida stay in a conference full of cheaters. (They don't all cheat to the same degree, but all of them except Fla and GA, use every rotten last minute grayshirt, and oversigning trick in the book, and think the BigTen is nuts for not using them.) It is a rotten conference in every way except wins, and Auburn has been the worst of a really rotten lot.
It is the conference that fits Calipari like a glove.

Ignorance, unveiled racism, and terrible behavior towards other team's fans, then it's a little slice of heaven.

I've been to three Auburn games, including their first "home" game against Alabama, or what a non-southern friend in attendance referred to as "The Who cheats better Bowl".
I did not wear Auburn colors, I was in Maroon and Gold, and spent a large part of the evenings hearing about it. I found it funny that a group of people who hadn't won a title (sort of) since 1957, were telling me about how Minnesota had never been any good.
I witnessed a group of White Auburn fans beating up on two Black fans of East Tennessee State, and of course the Cops hauled the ETSU fans to the "holding" cell under Jordan-Hare. Racially motivated? I thought so, but you can decide.

They probably took them down there to protect them. I watched something on either cnn or espn where they followed Auburn security around while they tried to combat drinking in the stadium They had spotters. It was pretty amazing.

right, so you could have stopped typing right there.

No, they have consistently been in more trouble with football violations with the NCAA than any school in the SEC. Even when they did not get caught, they have been exposed by players, former players, former coaches, former Boards of Governors members under oathe during investigations. If you have not read the history, defending them is really an arrogant gesture, but it is your right to defend an organization that has made a mockery of NCAA rules, without embarrassment.

Auburn's head coach was just at Iowa State a few years ago. I'm sure in that time he built relationships with HS coaches in the cities and those relationships have continued.

This is certainly a part of it and Chizik took his recruiting coordinator with him when he went. In fact, the guy stayed through the recruiting/signing period at ISU; to see things through. Very, very stand up guy and still respected in Ames. They made some connections in MN.

Top Bottom