Auburn AD: A 1-loss SEC team that wins in Atlanta can't get left out. It's impossible

Maybe, but the eye test favors Auburn, and the money would flow that way also. Yes, anyone can win a game, but I don't think OSU would be favored in that game at a neutral site.

I actually think that Michigan State's more physical defense would matchup better again an Auburn than OSU's. OSU's a darn good team, but I'm not sure they'd get enough stops vs. Auburn based on their most recent outing vs. MI. Just an objective observer.

For me, the eye test says Auburn, but the record favors OSU. Should be an interesting final BCS poll.

Maybe, but the eye test favors Auburn, and the money would flow that way also. Yes, anyone can win a game, but I don't think OSU would be favored in that game at a neutral site.

I actually think that Michigan State's more physical defense would matchup better again an Auburn than OSU's. OSU's a darn good team, but I'm not sure they'd get enough stops vs. Auburn based on their most recent outing vs. MI. Just an objective observer.

For me, the eye test says Auburn, but the record favors OSU. Should be an interesting final BCS poll.

You may be right that Auburn is a better team. But, in my opinion, it isn't about who is the best two teams, it is about the two teams who have earned it the most. Was Notre Dame the second best team last year? Of course not, but I think most agree that they earned the chance to play. In the Super Bowl, it is rarely the two best teams playing.

Like I said before, most SEC fans/butt kissers have said for a long time now that they didn't want a playoff because the regular season is like a playoff. If that is the case, then there is absolutely no way you can take a 1-loss Auburn over an undefeated Ohio St.

You may be right that Auburn is a better team. But, in my opinion, it isn't about who is the best two teams, it is about the two teams who have earned it the most. Was Notre Dame the second best team last year? Of course not, but I think most agree that they earned the chance to play. In the Super Bowl, it is rarely the two best teams playing.

Like I said before, most SEC fans/butt kissers have said for a long time now that they didn't want a playoff because the regular season is like a playoff. If that is the case, then there is absolutely no way you can take a 1-loss Auburn over an undefeated Ohio St.

Ohio State has certainly earned their respect with 2 season of no losses. Additionally, Auburn earned a great deal of respect from the entire nation by taking down Goliath on Saturday. When you say, "who has earned it", that's not a slam dunk for OSU either. I'm certainly no fan of the SEC, but what Auburn did on Saturday was pretty amazing, ala slaying a dragon that's been terrorizing the country for the better part of 4 years.

Ohio State has certainly earned their respect with 2 season of no losses. Additionally, Auburn earned a great deal of respect from the entire nation by taking down Goliath on Saturday. When you say, "who has earned it", that's not a slam dunk for OSU either. I'm certainly no fan of the SEC, but what Auburn did on Saturday was pretty amazing, ala slaying a dragon that's been terrorizing the country for the better part of 4 years.

I don't know that Auburn has done that much with an "eye test" past one week against Alabama. Ohio State has looked pretty great all year, and they beat Michigan, their traditional rival despite maybe not playing great. The bottom line - they still didn't lose. Remember, Auburn lost to an LSU team that lost three games, and only beat a bad TCU team by 10 points.

The SEC is just not nearly as good as self-advertised.

They built-up their reputation by having more teams than any other conference for several years. And their bowl games are all home games. Despite this, they barely gained an edge in head-to-head bowl record over the Big Ten until very recently.

One need only look at how Nebraska (a dominant Big XII program) has struggled in the Big Ten and Texas A&M and Missouri (middling Big XII) have thrived in the SEC to understand the real power-balance.

A couple thoughts: Notre Dame is underrated for once (Win vs. USC, vs. #11 ASU, vs. #10 MSU, vs. BYU, close loss @ #7 Stanford), and the fact that Michigan State's only loss was to them with questionable officiating on the road shows even more that they (MSU) are pretty good. It's crazy how the perception of MSU would be different if they were undefeated right now and probably ranked #3.

Michigan has talent. They showed it against Notre Dame early in the season, where they played lights out for most of the game against, again, an underrated team. They put it all together again against their arch rival at home in a game where they had nothing to lose (I'm somewhat inclined to say that their third best game of the season was against the Gophers). I think it's wrong to look at OSU and say that they barely beat 7-5 Michigan. Sure, Michigan had serious serious problems in the Big Ten season, but whenever they played up to their potential, they were extremely dangerous.

I'm expecting OSU/MSU to be a good, competitive game. Not sure who will win.

I really dislike the SEC and will even root for Urban Meyer to break the streak.

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: "A 1-loss SEC team that wins in Atlanta can't get left out (of the BCS title game). It's impossible."

What did we expect him to say - "we are just lucky to be here, had it not been for a fluke play against Georgia and totally blown call by the referees against Alabama, we would just be an average SEC Team."

I mention the referee blown call in regards to something I saw while watching the game that no one seems to have commented on. If you watch the late TD pass from Marshall, in which he stops just short of the line of scrimmage and throws the ball to a wide open receiver, LOOK AT THE AUBURN LINEMAN ON THAT PLAY - they are 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Play should have been called back and penalty assigned. (Did the Alabama defenders assume that a run had to occur because of this and go for Marshall?)

I am by no means an Alabama fan, but once again the referees really blew one here.

All I can say on this topic is this: God help us if the definition of being American is having an SEC team in the title game every frickin' year.

What did we expect him to say - "we are just lucky to be here, had it not been for a fluke play against Georgia and totally blown call by the referees against Alabama, we would just be an average SEC Team."

I think most don't fault him in lobbying for his school or his conference, it's the words he used. It's not "impossible."

I mention the referee blown call in regards to something I saw while watching the game that no one seems to have commented on. If you watch the late TD pass from Marshall, in which he stops just short of the line of scrimmage and throws the ball to a wide open receiver, LOOK AT THE AUBURN LINEMAN ON THAT PLAY - they are 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Play should have been called back and penalty assigned. (Did the Alabama defenders assume that a run had to occur because of this and go for Marshall?)

I saw the exact same thing. I don't think it caused the CB to come up on the play, but a few of the O-Linemen were definitely downfield.

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: "A 1-loss SEC team that wins in Atlanta can't get left out (of the BCS title game). It's impossible."

I am by no means an Alabama fan, but once again the referees really blew one here.

I noticed it as well. Fast forward to about 5:50:

Dantonio has never hesitated to stick his neck out, but he knows there's no chance for Sparty to get to the BCS title game. This is more about him sticking up for the Big Ten. He's probably like a lot of us. ... he's sick of hearing about the SEC and its 1-loss teams.

The best way for the Big Ten to start changing perception is for its best teams to win their upper-tier bowl games vs. the SEC/Pac 12, etc. (BCS, Rose, Capital One, Outback, lesser extent Gator)

For Auburn to get into the title game, the human vote has to swing 75%. You can't have "Every game matters" philosophy and change it mid-stream.

It's not going to happen (SEC in title game) if the other 2 remain undefeated.

A loss more than negates any win imo.

If the SEC is so amazing. Why is a Big 12 team playing in the championship?

Dantonio has never hesitated to stick his neck out, but he knows there's no chance for Sparty to get to the BCS title game. This is more about him sticking up for the Big Ten. He's probably like a lot of us. ... he's sick of hearing about the SEC and its 1-loss teams.

The best way for the Big Ten to start changing perception is for its best teams to win their upper-tier bowl games vs. the SEC/Pac 12, etc. (BCS, Rose, Capital One, Outback, lesser extent Gator)

This is exactly right. If we lose those upper-tier teams from the conferences that we think are overrated, we have no business calling them overrated.

If tOSU finishes the season undefeated they should be in no question. Going undefeated in consecutive years in the B10 in this era is incredible.

They just showed a clip of the Auburn AD saying that it would be un-American if they didn't get to play in the championship game. Hilarious.

Desmond Howard said right after that the SEC is arrogant. Pollack was acting like Auburn has beaten so many top teams. When in reality, they have not. Yes the beat Alabama. But their other top wins came against a currently ranked #24 Texas A&M and #22 Georgia. They also beat an Ole Miss team that was ranked at the time, but they certainly are not a top 25 team now.

That's what consistent national success (ala Alabama, Florida, LSU) will do. Auburn was what a 3-4 win team last year and would not be in the conversation if not for a freak ending. That field goal maybe gets blocked 1 out of 100 times. Auburn's arrogance is completely unwarranted. They remind me a lot of the gophers, great running game sub par to non existent passing and pretty solid defense.

They just showed a clip of the Auburn AD saying that it would be un-American if they didn't get to play in the championship game. Hilarious.

Desmond Howard said right after that the SEC is arrogant. Pollack was acting like Auburn has beaten so many top teams. When in reality, they have not. Yes the beat Alabama. But their other top wins came against a currently ranked #24 Texas A&M and #22 Georgia. They also beat an Ole Miss team that was ranked at the time, but they certainly are not a top 25 team now.

You are correct. However, if you look at their schedule, the University and the SEC pundits spin it by referring to the rankings at the time the game took place: #6 LSU, #7 A & M, #24 Ole Miss, #25 Georgia, #1 Bama, and #5 Auburn today. Won't matter because, I don't see them beating Mizzou, personally.

Also, as I stated previously, the human vote has to swing 75% the other way if tOSU wins.

Just have to let the games play out and see I guess.

That's what consistent national success (ala Alabama, Florida, LSU) will do. Auburn was what a 3-4 win team last year and would not be in the conversation if not for a freak ending. That field goal maybe gets blocked 1 out of 100 times. Auburn's arrogance is completely unwarranted. They remind me a lot of the gophers, great running game sub par to non existent passing and pretty solid defense.

Consistent success or not, it still doesn't hurt having AP and Pre-Season rankings (prior to BCS) having bias built in and allowing for "positioning" within it due to early season rankings.

Could Ohio State beat Alabama or Auburn? Where would your money be? I thought so, the man at least has a point.

The bottom line, a 2 team playoff is a joke. A 4 team playoff, almost as big of a joke as a 2 team playoff.

I'd put my money on OSU. Auburn can't stop Missouri. There is no way they would stop OSU. Texas A & M and Mizzou have exposed the SEC.

Top Bottom