Auburn AD: A 1-loss SEC team that wins in Atlanta can't get left out. It's impossible

If Mizzou wins, I think they have a much better resume than Auburn as their loss was to a top 10 team w. their starting QB out. Other than that, they have taken care of business easily and will add a win over #3 in the nation after beating Auburn. I still think OSU deserves to go if they win - a loss is a loss and OSU has been perfect for 2 years. I am more looking forward to the SEC losing over half their bowls this year more than the NCG. Is their still the possibility of OkaSU vs. Bama? That would be a fun game and I think OkaSU would win.

Auburn AD: A 1-loss SEC team that wins in Atlanta can't get left out. It's im...

If this was a four team field, we end up arguing whether the loser of Auburn - Missouri should get the 4th spot, Alabama, or Clemson I guess with the winner, FSU, and OSU in if both of those teams win.

Not that Big of a deal considering they all lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An MSU win gets two Big Ten teams in the BCS. That moves the rest of the teams up a bowl.

A lot of people seemed to think that Wisconsin had a shot at an at large bid at 10-2. With a potential MSU loss, why do so many people think that 11-2 would not get Sparty in?

What will suck is how the third best team from SEC will slide into a number four spot every year after the SEC Championship game is played.

Example would be if Mizzou beats Auburn, then somehow Bama would be worthy of that fourth spot ahead of Auburn who had to play an extra game against the SEC Champ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Ohio State beats Michigan State, the SEC winner can and will be left out.

However, the Bucks struggled mightily with a putrid Michigan team. The Bucks winning next week is no guarantee.

Can you imagine the uproar Urban Meyer would have if the Buckeyes go undefeated and don't make the national title game?!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Auburn AD Jay Jacobs: "A 1-loss SEC team that wins in Atlanta can't get left out (of the BCS title game). It's impossible."</p>— Dan Wolken (@DanWolken) <a href="https://twitter.com/DanWolken/statuses/406961288502181888">December 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
I'd expect the AD of a major university to know the meaning of "impossible", but then again, this is the SEC.

I wonder if those refs who made those b.s. interference calls against MSU in the Notre Dame game ever thought they would be deciding who plays in the national title game?

And they were Big Ten officials to boot.

I don't know that Ohio State will keep up with FSU. Best for the conference is an MSU win. MSU can beat either PAC 12 team, OSU can win the Orange Bowl, and I like Wisconsin, Iowa, & Minnesota in bowls because of physicality. Nebraska I don't like because their D sucks and Michigan is a bit of a reach, but can win a shoot out if they can abuse a poor secondary with Bunchess & Gallon.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. -- Inigo Montoya

Will the four team playoff, beginning next year, really end the debate of 'who belongs'?

yes, well they will still debate it on TV and things like that but it shouldn't be a debate, when was the last time a teams outside of the top 3 of the final BCS standings had an argument for playing in the title game, i can't remember that happening, every year there are 2 teams worthy of playing in the title game with an occasional third team that has an argument once every few years but outside of the top 3 there are never any teams that have argument for playing in the title, so if the #5 team gets left out next year they may have an argument that they deserved to be in the four team playoff but they will not have an argument that they were an actual title contender, in certain years it would have been ideal to have a 3 team playoff instead of a 2 team playoff but obviously you can't have a 3 team playoff so they moved it to 4 with one of those teams not having an actually purpose of being in it other then filling up the fourth slot, its like march madness where if you're on the bubble you care just so you say you got into the tourney but that bubble team isn't actually a contender to win the tournament, and if they do expand it to 8 teams then it is just about the money/publicity, the goal of the playoff is simply to determine a more accurate champion, not to make it more exciting or to add more games

The SEC champ should play FSU for the NC. tOSU is behind FSU, Auburn, Mizz, & Alabama.

Ohio state barely beat a 7-5 Michigan team at home.

They don't deserve a shot at a national championship.

Until you consider the fact that auburn barely beat 8-4 Texas A&M, 8-4 Georgia, and LOST to 9-3 LSU (who has a loss to 8-4 Georgia and 7-5 Mississippi).

Honestly I think Alabama and Missouri both are more deserving than Auburn at this point. Bama's one loss is on a fluke play on the road against an 11-1 rival in a game where they missed 3 potential game winning field goals and passed on an opportunity at another.

I'm in Jacksonville and I am going to assume that most of you are up North. If you guys are sick of hearing about the SEC, give a moment of thanks that you don't have to live with these people. I think Urban is a disgraceful human being (UF was affectionately known as Urban's Felons) but I have to root for him simply to stone the SEC out of the title game.

Chaos will ensue when Sparty handles tOSU next week.

Very unlikely. The SEC champion would simply move into the second spot.

I'll say this about the playoff set up. That Auburn vs Alabama game yesterday doesn't have nearly the impact with a playoff.

Yep. OSU is good, but who have they played all year? Their best two wins were at home against the skunks and today at Michigan. They allowed a marginal Michigan offense to score 41. Sparty wins 23-16.

Michigan St. lost to an average Notre Dame team. They barely beat a really bad Purdue team. You can say these things about just about every team. I think Michigan St. has a great chance Saturday but I don't think last week's big time rivalry game says a ton in my opinion.

As for a 1-loss SEC team getting in over an undefeated top conference team, if it happens then it definitely proves that it is false to say "the regular season is the playoffs under the current system". Conference/schedule strength should be be the tie-breaker for sure but it isn't Ohio St.'s fault the BT isn't very good this year.

Michigan St. lost to an average Notre Dame team. They barely beat a really bad Purdue team. You can say these things about just about every team. I think Michigan St. has a great chance Saturday but I don't think last week's big time rivalry game says a ton in my opinion.

As for a 1-loss SEC team getting in over an undefeated top conference team, if it happens then it definitely proves that it is false to say "the regular season is the playoffs under the current system". Conference/schedule strength should be be the tie-breaker for sure but it isn't Ohio St.'s fault the BT isn't very good this year.

Michigan St's defense will be fine against OSU, but their offense won't move the ball at all. They are average on offense and I can't see them outscoring OSU. And I'd rather see MSU win...

Well Mr. Auburn AD, better prey Jameis Winston gets charged before the ACC title game, because otherwise the unbeatens will stay unbeaten and even then I doubt FSU loses.

I didn't realize South Carolina is ranked so high. Them being ahead of both Baylor and Michigan St. in the BCS and AP poll is absolutely ridiculous. South Carolina lost to a TN team that isn't even bowl eligible.

The hypocrisy is so ridiculous. They rip Ohio St. for barely beating Michigan, but dismiss that Auburn was very fortunate to beat Georgia the week before. You can say that Georgia gave Auburn the game at the end.

I get it, the SEC is the best conference. No debate there, but the butt kissing is just going way too far. Part of me hopes Michigan St. beats Ohio St. so we can see Florida St. blow out Auburn or Alabama.

The SEC butt kissing drives me nuts. Why don't these pundits just say what they are thinking: regardless of regular season, every year should end in a championship comprised of either the highest ranked SEC team vs the highest ranked "other" team, or the SEC champion vs another SEC team if that second team happens to be ranked higher than the champion.

I have never felt the SEC is that much above the rest of the country. Yes, they have had a run of recent championships under the current system (but hey, they automatically get a 50/50 or better chance every year with a "guaranteed" participant or two in the NC game anyway). I would even go as far as to say that over the last 5 years the SEC is the strongest of the BCS power conferences. Not here to argue that.

However, the ESPN hype machine which is incredibly thorough - right down to their B1G bloggers, has just grown out of control. I fear there are business arrangements and contracts that are running over the top of actual competition.

After it is all said and done, each conference has periods of time where they are up or down but overall with the exception of the Big East, they are fairly similar (and guess what happened to the Big East in recent years?). However, thanks to the double standards the SEC gets to enjoy, they not only often get a muligan for their teams and can have one loss on their road to getting in the championship game, they also even on rare years get to have TWO losses and still play in the NC game. Not to mention the ultimate farce... getting BOTH participants of the NC game. It isn't exactly ancient history when TAMU and Missouri joined the conference and everyone, fueled by ESPN brainwashing, declared they were over their heads. I remember reading how Missouri in particular was doomed. Well, I'd say TAMU and Missouri have each found the SEC to be far less scary than what the "experts" were predicting they'd find after joining the league.

So now when the shoe is on the other foot, and the rest of the country has produced two undefeated teams... they should step aside to allow a 1 loss SEC team play in the championship game in their place? Please!!!! Would anyone be advocating Missouri or Auburn deserve to be in the NC game if they had one loss in the B1G or Big 12? Who thinks either of them would have gone undefeated in the Big 12 or B1G? I'm guessing they each would have had at least one loss in ANY of the other power conferences.

The big irony is I would not be surprised to see Ohio State get beat by Michigan State. So, it might just be a lot of blustering over nothing in the end.

What I find funny about all of this is that it is all Auburn, Auburn, Auburn. They play an excellent Mizzou team in Atlanta, but most or the SEC groupies 1) don't give Mizzou a chance and 2) I don't think they want Mizzou to win because they aren't "true" SEC. There is hardly any talk of Missouri winning and if they do; they would every bit the resume of Auburn. For such a small and uneducated population base, the state of Alabama sure can influence sports media.

The hypocrisy is so ridiculous. They rip Ohio St. for barely beating Michigan, but dismiss that Auburn was very fortunate to beat Georgia the week before. You can say that Georgia gave Auburn the game at the end.

I get it, the SEC is the best conference. No debate there, but the butt kissing is just going way too far. Part of me hopes Michigan St. beats Ohio St. so we can see Florida St. blow out Auburn or Alabama.

+1

Here's another way to look at it. If the SEC is so "head and shoulders" above the rest of college football can they explain how Texas A&M and Missouri, two also rans in most of their last years in the Big 12, work their way through the SEC in just two years? A&M beat National Champ Alabama last year and their two losses were by a combined five points to Florida and LSU.

Missouri? After an atrocious first year they've burned their way thru the SEC with only an overtime loss to South Carolina. Heck, only one other team came within two touchdowns against them. No, make that two.

Recent Big 12 team Texas A&M got within 7.

+1

Here's another way to look at it. If the SEC is so "head and shoulders" above the rest of college football can they explain how Texas A&M and Missouri, two also rans in most of their last years in the Big 12, work their way through the SEC in just two years? A&M beat National Champ Alabama last year and their two losses were by a combined five points to Florida and LSU.

Missouri? After an atrocious first year they've burned their way thru the SEC with only an overtime loss to South Carolina. Heck, only one other team came within two touchdowns against them. No, make that two.

This has been my take as well.

+1

This is exactly what everyone wants to ignore. Texas A&M and Missouri were not winning in the Big 12 like they are in the SEC. Also, the SEC creates artificial strength of schedules because they are all rated high in pre-season, but they don't play anyone in non-conference. Their records against other AQ conferences and bowls isn't overwhelming. Also, look at each of their championship team's non-conference schedules:

Auburn is as bad, or worse, than Ohio St. At least when OSU scheduled Cal they expected a good team. Auburn played Wash St, Ark St, Western Carolina, and Florida Atlantic. They only beat Washington State by one touchdown. They also lost to a three loss team.

Missouri played Murray St, Toledo, Indiana, and Arkansas St. Where is their non-conference tougher than OSU? They only beat Indiana 45-28. OSU held Indiana to 14 points while scoring 42. Michigan State beat them 42-28. So, looking at comparable teams, each of our conference finalists are doing as well or better.

I don't get where the SEC can complain about OSU's schedule when the vast majority of their non-conference schedules are as weak or weaker. In fact, if MSU had employed a similar strategy to Auburn or Missouri they would be undefeated going into the final.

Let's just start the season on August 1 and go to a 16 team playoff. Problem solved.

Could Ohio State beat Alabama or Auburn? Where would your money be? I thought so, the man at least has a point.

The bottom line, a 2 team playoff is a joke. A 4 team playoff, almost as big of a joke as a 2 team playoff.

Let's just start the season on August 1 and go to a 16 team playoff. Problem solved.

August 1st??? The FCS has a 24 team playoff that starts on Nov 23rd. If you are going to have a 16 team playoff, just eliminate your conf Champoinshp games, and the current season fits.

Heck, anyone that doens't make the 16 team field could still play in a holiday bowl.

Top Bottom