ATHAN

People think they are so cool when they knock Cousins.

What I’m especially excited about is his strong arm and athleticism. Being able to extend the field and extend plays can really open things up.

Literally 2 posts before this Philo was wondering how much NIL money it will take to keep AK at Minnesota. So yeah....the pessimism of this forum will never be far away and we will always have plenty of posters waiting for their chance to drag everyone back down who might actually feel decent about the team. :)

Literally 2 posts before this Philo was wondering how much NIL money it will take to keep AK at Minnesota. So yeah....the pessimism of this forum will never be far away and we will always have plenty of posters waiting for their chance to drag everyone back down who might actually feel decent about the team. :)
For most of my life I always felt fans were positive fanatics. However, reading GopherHole all these years has made me realize a fan can also be a negative fanatic. The good thing is that no matter which side we see, we’re all fans of Gopher sports.

Very excited to possibly see the gophers transition to a pass-first offense. I think Athan is the perfect guy to lead that style of offense. Best QB at scrambling/running since Gray?
AAK, his grammatical and style Uncle.

Pessimism or reality? NIL is real, transfer rules are real, opposing college program poaching other teams athletes is real. So how much NIL $$ will it take to keep him here?
The reality is you, I or anyone else on here don’t know what’s important to him/his family values.

Maybe he comes from a well off family?
Maybe playing with his brother means everything?

Example- Dennis Evans.

Are you a drama Queen 👸🏽?

I know it would be completely out of character but did PJ ever say if the injury was ankle ligament? fibula fracture? Foot injury?

The thing that sticks out to me most is just how strong an arm he has. Morgan was a very good college QB, and Kaliakmanis can make throws Morgan could never dream of making. Arm strength is of course not everything but if his game sense and other things progress the right way that arm may give him a chance to play on Sundays.
Very high pocket presence as well, coupled with his mobility is something we haven't seen at QB.

Pessimism or reality? NIL is real, transfer rules are real, opposing college program poaching other teams athletes is real. So how much NIL $$ will it take to keep him here?
Contrary to what some would like to believe not every player will make their decisions based solely on money

The offense has to be more balanced; also, the coaches should rethink the long count for every play - it has both an obvious upside (run the clock, keep opponent's offense off the field), but some drawbacks, too (didn't work against Syracuse, we needed more plays), dulls momentum, tends toward too much running.
There were definitely fewer long counts with AK. Most snaps between the 10-15 second range.

Very excited to possibly see the gophers transition to a pass-first offense. I think Athan is the perfect guy to lead that style of offense. Best QB at scrambling/running since Gray?
I doubt they’ll ever be pass first.

Very high pocket presence as well, coupled with his mobility is something we haven't seen at QB.
I’ve been super impressed with his pocket presence and his willingness to step into throws with defenders barring down on him. He seems more mentally sharp and mature than I would expect for being so green.

was listening to the 'Gopher Gridiron Podcast' with Luke Buer and Derek Burns. (Ryan Burns is getting married in Florida...)

Derek Burns made a good point about Tanner. Until this season with the "upper body injuries," Tanner was very durable. (speaking of Cousins).

quoting Sid quoting Bud Grant - "durability can be just as important as ability."

Athan has a lot of potential - but to realize that potential, he needs to be healthy.

so, like it or not, the backup QB is going to be a very important position next year and every year.

hey, I hope Athan starts every game for the next three years. But if he is not able to start, somebody else has to be ready to come in.

I believe PJ will always play to the strength of his teams. Having Mo just made too much sense too PJ to not stray away from his bell cow. I think we have seen a small glimpse the last few starts with AK that he is seeing his new bell cow and will adjust accordingly.
Plus the recent WR recruits appear to be very skilled recievers vs having bigger bodies and more physical types.

Last edited:

This pass (and one over the middle between 2 defenders a few plays earlier) were passes "Morgan can't make". Doesnt have the arm strength.

This same statement of fact got the rubes' undies in a huge bunch on the bowl gamethread. LoL "You're ATTACKING POOR TANNER!!"

Incidentally, this pass is also the play where AK got injured.

We'll see, but AK has a chance to be really special.
My guess, if AK threw the TD pass that Morgan threw to Jackson you would've said the same thing, "Morgan can't make that throw". It was great catch by Jackson but was also great throw in tight coverage in end zone.

We're all excited about Athan. Most of us can express it without putting down Morgan in the process. It's really not that hard actually, but you seemed insistent on it.

Can't see AK having more then a couple planned run plays a game, if that. Most will be unplanned opportunistic type runs where he sees the opening and pulls the ball down.

My guess, if AK threw the TD pass that Morgan threw to Jackson you would've said the same thing, "Morgan can't make that throw". It was great catch by Jackson but was also great throw in tight coverage in end zone.

We're all excited about Athan. Most of us can express it without putting down Morgan in the process. It's really not that hard actually, but you seemed insistent on it.
Unbunch your undies. You'd guess wrong.

The throw to Jackson didnt require elite armstrength. I would have called it pretty nice lob with good touch that required an extraordinary catch.

The two throws that i called out in the game thread required a cannon. Which Morgan doesnt have, ergo he can't make them.

That's simple fact. Or is it your position there's no difference in arm?

Too funny. He's the starter. I think the real question is more likely to be does he play out his eligibility.

I’ve been super impressed with his pocket presence and his willingness to step into throws with defenders barring down on him. He seems more mentally sharp and mature than I would expect for being so green.
Yeah I agree, moves just enough to ease the pressure and give receivers another couple seconds to get open.

Unbunch your undies. You'd guess wrong.

The throw to Jackson didnt require elite armstrength. I would have called it pretty nice lob with good touch that required an extraordinary catch.

The two throws that i called out in the game thread required a cannon. Which Morgan doesnt have, ergo he can't make them.

That's simple fact. Or is it your position there's no difference in arm?

if I was inclined to argue the point, I would say that - in order to be an elite QB - you need to be able to make a variety of throws.

some throws require more velocity. other throws require more accuracy. other throws require more touch.

it's not as simple as "guy with the strongest arm wins."

I will concede that Athan can make some throws that Morgan can't.
But, I would also make the claim that - at this point in their respective careers, there are throws that Morgan can make that Athan cannot make - yet.

Each QB has his own skill set, with the respective plusses and minuses.

Don't even bother

Interesting admission by Ciarrocca that the Gophs were holding the reins tight on AK until the WI game. I suppose that's something we already know.

How will the Gophers football team look in 2023?

"Gophers offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca said he felt Kaliakmanis was “ready” for more after watching film of the 13-10 loss to Iowa on Nov. 19.

“He can do more for us,” Ciarrocca recalled. “Let’s let him go a little bit more with it.”

In his fourth career start in the regular-season finale, the redshirt freshman quarterback set career highs in completions (19), attempts (29), passing yards (319) and touchdowns (2) in a 23-16 win over Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium.

Ciarrocca opened the playbook up much more for Kaliakmanis against the Badgers compared to the parred-down script for his first start in front of a crowd of nearly 110,000 in Penn State’s White Out game on Oct. 22.

“I’m always going to err on the side of protecting a young quarterback,” Ciarrocca said. “… Been that way my whole career with it. But he’s just grown by leaps and bounds. It’s a credit to him, honestly. He sees this potential that he has in him, and he’s been able to put the action behind that potential to turn it into productivity.”
Interesting to see. Thanks for posting.

if I was inclined to argue the point, I would say that - in order to be an elite QB - you need to be able to make a variety of throws.

some throws require more velocity. other throws require more accuracy. other throws require more touch.

But, I would also make the claim that - at this point in their respective careers, there are throws that Morgan can make that Athan cannot make - yet.

Would be interested in exactly what throes you’re referring to that Morgan could make that 8 can’t?

I'd be inclined to accept that Morgan's skillset ar this point might include better judegment. Better decision making. He might know the offense better.

Might. Dunno. Opinion.

And while there are certainly throws that require more than velocity, there are NO throws that Morgan CAN make that Kaliakmanis CAN'T.

You might argue Kaliakmanis WON'T make the correct throw, due to inexperience or whatever.

But CAN'T? No.

Whereas there certainly ARE throws Morgan CAN'T.

Which is indisputable....and all I ever said

Morgan cant make that throw across the field. Can not.

I'd be inclined to accept that Morgan's skillset ar this point might include better judegment. Better decision making. He might know the offense better.

Might. Dunno. Opinion.

And while there are certainly throws that require more than velocity, there are NO throws that Morgan CAN make that Kaliakmanis CAN'T.

You might argue Kaliakmanis WON'T make the correct throw, due to inexperience or whatever.

But CAN'T? No.

Whereas there certainly ARE throws Morgan CAN'T.

Which is indisputable....and all I ever said

Morgan cant make that throw across the field. Can not.
I just find it funny how fans can't accept the fact that the new QB may be better than the one graduating. I like Tanner and thought he had a good career but he's just not as athletic as AK.

Top Bottom