Athan Kaliakmanis struggles?

Re: #2, what would Morgan have done? He avoids pressure like Minnesota avoids snow in the winter. At least AK8 was still looking to find someone.

So far this season Kaliakmanis has been sacked 3 times in 58 pass attempts. .052 sacks/att.

Morgan has been sacked 7 times in 153 pass attempts. .046 sacks/att.

So far this season Kaliakmanis has been sacked 3 times in 58 pass attempts. .052 sacks/att.

Morgan has been sacked 7 times in 153 pass attempts. .046 sacks/att.
Adjusting for strength of opponent about 74 of Morgan's attempts came against teams that probably didn't get 20 feet from Tanner. That gets us a .088 sacks/att for Morgan. Context matters

If he is cleared you know they will go with the 6th year senior that has started 4 years and has placed Iowa 3 times. The freshman can be put in the game if things are not going well to change things up. He is a sophomore.

You conveniently avoided answering my question because said answer won't fit the narrative you're looking for.

As for the winning-est QB in Gopher history, while true, consider the context. I mean, Trent Dilfer technically is a Super Bowl winning QB and Marino isn't. But we all know who's better. More importantly, it's painfully obvious why Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and 99.9% of the reason does NOT involve Dilfer.

I feel similarly on Tanner. He happened to be playing QB while the other guys actually won the games for us. He just managed things. Never made a play with his legs, never made a play out of nothing, etc. Just handed off to one of our best RBs ever or threw to NFL WRs and he piled up the wins. No more NFL wide receivers and half the message board can't stand him playing QB for us.

But I'm fine if PJ sends him out there for the first play of the game, hand off to Mo, then retirement.
Terrible take.

Morgan has his flaws. But he deserves more than he's just guy

You're saying we're going 5 wide out?

BSF slot. Dylan and MBS on left. Daniel Jackson and Lemecke on the right.
I think he was saying an immediate wide toss to the RB (rather than inside hand-to the RB after an RPO read) to get our RB to the outside before interior pursuit closes in. Can confuse the contain man. Worked well last year against Iowa's twitchy, gap-plugging defense (with Ky and Bucky as RBs). Iowa will be ready this year, but it is still a play to stress the defense. Uses more of the field. Not really a Mo play; more for a speedier back (Evans? Bryce?). Of course, a bad QB toss, dropped by the RB, is a live ball ...

Y'all are being absolutely ridiculous. Fleck isn't going to start a freshman over the winning-est QB in Gopher history on senior day.

Especially when that freshman has not been playing well.
Hundo p! Quick slants from Tanner will get us this win. Oh and Tanner runs as good as anyone we have.

Terrible take.

Morgan has his flaws. But he deserves more than he's just guy
In terms of the Badgers he's a Tolzein/Stocco. He did a great job not screwing things up. He's a JAG, and to his credit he's not screwing things up like an Alex Hornibrook.

You conveniently avoided answering my question because said answer won't fit the narrative you're looking for.

As for the winning-est QB in Gopher history, while true, consider the context. I mean, Trent Dilfer technically is a Super Bowl winning QB and Marino isn't. But we all know who's better. More importantly, it's painfully obvious why Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and 99.9% of the reason does NOT involve Dilfer.

I feel similarly on Tanner. He happened to be playing QB while the other guys actually won the games for us. He just managed things. Never made a play with his legs, never made a play out of nothing, etc. Just handed off to one of our best RBs ever or threw to NFL WRs and he piled up the wins. No more NFL wide receivers and half the message board can't stand him playing QB for us.

But I'm fine if PJ sends him out there for the first play of the game, hand off to Mo, then retirement.
The bolded is just blatantly untrue. Pull up highlights from the 2019 season. Tanner made plenty NFL-caliber throws that year. Did having NFL-talent receivers contribute to his confidence to make those throws? Absolutely. But let's not pretend like he did nothing of significance that year. There's a conversation to be had about who is the best to play right now. But discrediting what Tanner was able to do in 2019 is ridiculous. For the record, I'm not upset at those who want Athan to play- I'm just going to disagree with anyone who uses that argument to drag Tanner's career.

Plenty of these highlights are him finding wide open guys, I'm not disagreeing that that was a factor.

"Other guys actually won the games for us". That Fresno State throw to send it to OT was as perfect as it gets, and led to the win.

"Never made a play with his legs". Ran for a game-tying touchdown in the same game.

"Never made a play out of nothing". Was regularly able to put the ball in places in the endzone where only his guys could get it.

You make it very easy to disprove your argument when you use absolute statements like "never".

Adjusting for strength of opponent about 74 of Morgan's attempts came against teams that probably didn't get 20 feet from Tanner. That gets us a .088 sacks/att for Morgan. Context matters

Whoops; I forgot strength of opponent, and it slipped my mind that Nebraska and Northwestern are juggernauts.

Point to you. Carry on!

Y'all are being absolutely ridiculous. Fleck isn't going to start a freshman over the winning-est QB in Gopher history on senior day.

Especially when that freshman has not been playing well.

I didn't mean to interject logic into your fight, but Morgan's success 3 years ago with Bateman and Johnson just isn't relevant.

Whoops; I forgot strength of opponent, and it slipped my mind that Nebraska and Northwestern are juggernauts.

Point to you. Carry on!
I thought Nebraska was the 85 Bears Defense for one half.

I still believe that IF Tanner receives medical clearance, he will start. That is Fleck's M.O.

now - the more interesting question.

Are there any circumstances - short of injury - that would cause Fleck to make a change during the game?

to the best of my knowledge, Fleck has pulled RB's and WR's from games for fumbling, but the only time he's ever pulled a QB from a game is due to injury - or an injury severe enough that would not allow the QB to continue.

we shall see. Of course, if Morgan is not cleared, it's a moot point. then it's Athan or bust.

I still believe that IF Tanner receives medical clearance, he will start. That is Fleck's M.O.

now - the more interesting question.

Are there any circumstances - short of injury - that would cause Fleck to make a change during the game?

to the best of my knowledge, Fleck has pulled RB's and WR's from games for fumbling, but the only time he's ever pulled a QB from a game is due to injury - or an injury severe enough that would not allow the QB to continue.

we shall see. Of course, if Morgan is not cleared, it's a moot point. then it's Athan or bust.
I feel like he pulled Demry Croft after not falling on a fumble that he lost. I want to say it was at Oregon State...of course he went back in so not benched, just pulled.

AK looked absolutely awful passing in the Northwestern game. Even the announcers seemed surprised at how badly he was missing open receivers and they commented on that more than once. Those of you who didn’t notice this must have been fixated on your bag of popcorn and can of beer because it was glaring. He’s a freshman and has barely played, so we should cut him some slack. But, no question he had a bad game slinging the rock.

Now my question:
Can someone calm my concerns and tell me he was an accurate QB in high school? I’m serious as I have no idea. His supporters in this thread all talk about his running ability, scrambling ability, and arm strength. That’s all nice, but accuracy is hands-down #1 most important. If he’s not accurate, queue up the next QB.

AK looked absolutely awful passing in the Northwestern game. Even the announcers seemed surprised at how badly he was missing open receivers and they commented on that more than once. Those of you who didn’t notice this must have been fixated on your bag of popcorn and can of beer because it was glaring. He’s a freshman and has barely played, so we should cut him some slack. But, no question he had a bad game slinging the rock.

Now my question:
Can someone calm my concerns and tell me he was an accurate QB in high school? I’m serious as I have no idea. His supporters in this thread all talk about his running ability, scrambling ability, and arm strength. That’s all nice, but accuracy is hands-down #1 most important. If he’s not accurate, queue up the next QB.
According to MaxPreps he was 61% in high school. Probably similar to Morgan and Kramer.

Now my question:

You're right. AK's passing was pretty bad against NW but, other than that game, he's gained some pretty good yardage on his passing attempts and is a threat to run which can help him pick up yardage and avoid sacks. I don't know. I've been a big Tanner supporter throughout his career but what I saw of him in the Nebraska game spooked me.

AK will get better. The real question is when? Will it be after a summer of workouts, or will it be in his next game after he hopefully learned from a bad Northwestern game.

AK will get better. The real question is when? Will it be after a summer of workouts, or will it be in his next game after he hopefully learned from a bad Northwestern game.
Better vs Iowa’s defense is a tall order.

Now my question:

If you go down to the player profile section there is a good evaluation on where 247 felt he was at least coming out of high school. I don't think you will find many 4* with massive accuracy concerns associated with them.

I think he will be just fine, just needs some time and experience to reach his full potential.

What gives me hope is that he is struggling some but he isn't making freshman mistakes. He clearly has things to work on and get better at but he looks the part when he is out there and it doesn't feel like he is in over his head. Very similar to how Morgan was when he got his first taste of action.

AK has a higher ceiling than Morgan, just going to take some time for him to reach it.

If you go down to the player profile section there is a good evaluation on where 247 felt he was at least coming out of high school. I don't think you will find many 4* with massive accuracy concerns associated with them.

I think he will be just fine, just needs some time and experience to reach his full potential.
Thank you. I’ve come down off the ledge. I really hope it was early-play jitters and that he will settle down and at least make the “easy” throws he missed in that game.

The bolded is just blatantly untrue. Pull up highlights from the 2019 season. Tanner made plenty NFL-caliber throws that year. Did having NFL-talent receivers contribute to his confidence to make those throws? Absolutely. But let's not pretend like he did nothing of significance that year. There's a conversation to be had about who is the best to play right now. But discrediting what Tanner was able to do in 2019 is ridiculous. For the record, I'm not upset at those who want Athan to play- I'm just going to disagree with anyone who uses that argument to drag Tanner's career.

Plenty of these highlights are him finding wide open guys, I'm not disagreeing that that was a factor.

"Other guys actually won the games for us". That Fresno State throw to send it to OT was as perfect as it gets, and led to the win.

"Never made a play with his legs". Ran for a game-tying touchdown in the same game.

"Never made a play out of nothing". Was regularly able to put the ball in places in the endzone where only his guys could get it.

You make it very easy to disprove your argument when you use absolute statements like "never".
Im curious what you think an NFL caliber throw is?

AK has a stronger arm than Morgan - but at this point in their respective careers, I think it's fair to say that Morgan is the more accurate passer, especially on some of the shorter and intermediate routes that require more 'touch.'

But, AK is much more mobile. he can scramble to prolong a play or run for positive yardage

So, if both are healthy, do you value Morgan's accuracy and leadership more than AK's physical advantages?

If pressed - and IF Morgan is 100% healthy, I would go with Morgan against one of the toughest defenses that MN will face this season. But I would reserve the right to use AK in certain packages - let him be the 'Wildcat" QB.

Why? So he can get unhealthy once again? This will be a tough game for AK but tougher for Morgan. My guess is he will not play again.
This is some interesting logic. Do you have reason to believe that Morgan is more likely to become unhealthy than Kaliakmanis?

All Big Ten games are tough for everyone, and Morgan has endured his share.

Why would I start Morgan? In a tough game, there is value in experience, which something that Morgan has tons of and Kaliakmanis does not.

Top Bottom