Athan Kaliakmanis struggles?

It m

It may be interesting if they play TM in the first half and AK in the second half or vice versa.

Absent injury, the only way I could see Fleck doing that is if the QB starting the first half is having a very bad game so I hope that doesn't happen.

He's a freshman and will continue to learn. He is confident and seems to move on from poor plays. He throws too hard at times and then was indecisive and missed a wide-open play over the middle where the ball floated. He will have these plays, but he stands in the pocket and can see the field which I like. I would play him and if it's going bad, bring in Tanner if healthy.

Last season against Iowa, the staff seemed to have a pretty good offensive game plan dialed up. The toss play seemed to catch the Hawkeye defense flat-footed.

I hope they have some new wrinkles ready for Saturday.

I think TM will see the field for Senior day. That doesn't mean he's the starter or even plays a ton, but for someone who has started for as long as him, has records in the school record book, etc. you gotta let him see the field somehow for senior day.

My bet is AK starts, and if we are winning the game TM comes out for the final drive to ice the win. TM gets the victory formation kneel to end the game on Senior day.

The numbers were not impressive, but I have seen nothing this year that Morgan's would have been any better. But with Morgan you don't threat that the QB might get a big run.

I have seen nothing this year that Morgan's would have been any better.
This is a pretty awful take if you're actually watching the games. Like just go back and watch them play. Everything Tanner does is mechanically better than Athan right now.

Release, touch, ball placement, footwork, vision are all in Tanner's favor.

I think you're exaggerating with "vision". The only time TM2 shows any vision is when he has a perfectly clean pocket with no pressure forthcoming. I don't recall him ever standing in a collapsing pocket and trying to find his 3rd read.

I think you're exaggerating with "vision". The only time TM2 shows any vision is when he has a perfectly clean pocket with no pressure forthcoming. I don't recall him ever standing in a collapsing pocket and trying to find his 3rd read.

The bolded is TM's major opportunity for improvement in my opinion. He has never read the collapsing pocket well and often steps up into a DLs grill instead of finding the exit.

Last season against Iowa, the staff seemed to have a pretty good offensive game plan dialed up. The toss play seemed to catch the Hawkeye defense flat-footed.

I hope they have some new wrinkles ready for Saturday.

You're saying we're going 5 wide out?

BSF slot. Dylan and MBS on left. Daniel Jackson and Lemecke on the right.

That's called getting sacked

Speaking of new wrinkles to catch Iowa off balance, what happened to our "jumbo" package, where we use extra offensive linemen? It used to be quite effective, as I recall...

A thought after watching the Vikings game.

The Gophers under Fleck are very risk-averse. "the Ball is the program." they are coached that turnovers are the worst possible thing that can happen.

So, that gets in the QB's head - whatever you do, don't throw an INT. that is going to lead to the QB bring less willing (or not allowed) to try more "risky" throws.

that also used to be the MO for Kirk Cousins - the 'robotic' QB who never wanted to make a mistake. But now under a new coach, Cousins is being coached to throw it up and trust his receivers to make a play.

at this point, you stop and scream that Cousins is throwing to arguably the best WR in football. Yes, I understand. Having Jefferson makes a big difference!!!!!!!

But I am also talking about the QB's mindset. with the Gophers, it's "don't make a mistake."
with the Vikings this year, it's "try to make a big play."

and that mindset is reflected in the results we see on the field.

This is a pretty awful take if you're actually watching the games. Like just go back and watch them play. Everything Tanner does is mechanically better than Athan right now.

Yet the results are oddly the same......

No, it's not. QBs on other teams do it all the time.

I know, I know, I made a negative comment about Morgan so someone needs to get revenge on me. That's how these message boards work.
1. You're reading too much into my comment. It's not a personal attack. We just don't agree. 2. He got sacked at least twice against Nebraska waiting for that third read to get open.

Yet the results are oddly the same......
Tanner has won more games at Minnesota than any QB I can remember. Saying that the results are the same between him and a freshman that's throwing sub 50% and whose only win is against a 1-8 Northwestern team is ridiculous.

Tanner has won more games at Minnesota than any QB I can remember. Saying that the results are the same between him and a freshman that's throwing sub 50% and whose only win is against a 1-8 Northwestern team is ridiculous.

My bad, I thought we were arguing who gives us the best chance right now. But you are right, Tanner has more wins in his career than Athan. I would guess that is how PJ is probably going to make his decision.

1. You're reading too much into my comment. It's not a personal attack. We just don't agree. 2. He got sacked at least twice against Nebraska waiting for that third read to get open.
Re: #2, what would Morgan have done? He avoids pressure like Minnesota avoids snow in the winter. At least AK8 was still looking to find someone.

What is Tanner's record vs. Iowa?

I'll answer. 0-3

My bad, I thought we were arguing who gives us the best chance right now. But you are right, Tanner has more wins in his career than Athan. I would guess that is how PJ is probably going to make his decision.
Y'all are being absolutely ridiculous. Fleck isn't going to start a freshman over the winning-est QB in Gopher history on senior day.

Especially when that freshman has not been playing well.

H

Y'all are being absolutely ridiculous. Fleck isn't going to start a freshman over the winning-est QB in Gopher history on senior day.

A senior with two concussions in three weeks. It might not be up to PJ. We'll see.

A thought after watching the Vikings game.

The Gophers under Fleck are very risk-averse. "the Ball is the program." they are coached that turnovers are the worst possible thing that can happen.

So, that gets in the QB's head - whatever you do, don't throw an INT. that is going to lead to the QB bring less willing (or not allowed) to try more "risky" throws.

that also used to be the MO for Kirk Cousins - the 'robotic' QB who never wanted to make a mistake. But now under a new coach, Cousins is being coached to throw it up and trust his receivers to make a play.

at this point, you stop and scream that Cousins is throwing to arguably the best WR in football. Yes, I understand. Having Jefferson makes a big difference!!!!!!!

But I am also talking about the QB's mindset. with the Gophers, it's "don't make a mistake."
with the Vikings this year, it's "try to make a big play."

and that mindset is reflected in the results we see on the field.
To me it comes down to who you're taking those shots with. They threw up a 50/50 ball to Wright against Nebraska and he came down with it. Yes, take more chances when he's single covered -- I totally agree. The problem is they were scheming up deep shots to MBS earlier in the season and literally 30%+ were getting intercepted. So yeah, take more shots when they present themselves, but be smart about it and don't force them. Especially against a team Iowa, more of those will be picked off than caught imo

Last edited:

You conveniently avoided answering my question because said answer won't fit the narrative you're looking for.

As for the winning-est QB in Gopher history, while true, consider the context. I mean, Trent Dilfer technically is a Super Bowl winning QB and Marino isn't. But we all know who's better. More importantly, it's painfully obvious why Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and 99.9% of the reason does NOT involve Dilfer.

I feel similarly on Tanner. He happened to be playing QB while the other guys actually won the games for us. He just managed things. Never made a play with his legs, never made a play out of nothing, etc. Just handed off to one of our best RBs ever or threw to NFL WRs and he piled up the wins. No more NFL wide receivers and half the message board can't stand him playing QB for us.

But I'm fine if PJ sends him out there for the first play of the game, hand off to Mo, then retirement.

A senior with two concussions in three weeks. It might not be up to PJ. We'll see.
This is the key statement of the week regarding the QB situation. If he is healthy, Morgan is in. Otherwise Athan. I doubt if Morgan is going to be ready to go though. Two concussions in three weeks against a good Iowa defense? I don't think so.

No, it's not. QBs on other teams do it all the time.

I know, I know, I made a negative comment about Morgan so someone needs to get revenge on me. That's how these message boards work.

It is when your WRs can't get open.

And geez melodramatic much.

Top Bottom