Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Now

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Never-He's TUBBY SMITH!!

Votes: 55 77.5%

• Total voters

Brew_recruit

Reaction score
I love tubby and as a huge gopher fan I hope never. But will there be people who start to call for his head if his players keep messing up. I'm one who doesn't blame the coach when players mess up because its impossible to babysit 15 grown men, but there are plenty of idiots out there who blame every thing on the coach.

You are the one asking the question and bringing it up. If you "love" Tubby, why would you raise such a question. If you hate Tubby or love him it still shows you don't get it. Either way it is misguided.

Tubby deserves praise for holding individuals accountable. Devoe is a good person. He made a mistake. It's a life lesson. If we had a lesser coach he'd sweep it under the raised floor. The player would have no chance to become a better person. Tubby is not willing to win by compromising right from wrong.

The question is how many more people are going to go from just supporting Tubby to believing he's the best coach any college team could have?

My suggestion is to remove the poll. It totally misses the point.
Not trying to be a prick, but I strongly disagree with the idea, premise, question, thought you are raising.

How dare he?

How dare Tubby Smith hold his players accountable for their actions on and/or off the court? (tongue in cheek)

Right now if he did not do what he did. Devoe made the mistakes, not Tubby. Devoe let his team down and all of us down.

When you have 15 young men on a team you are going to have some problems. Hopefully Devoe will get the message and be ready to go for the Big Ten.

I'll echo SS's response. The only thing to be pissed at Tubby about is that he is old school and doesn't tolerate *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# like this. Taking a wild guess here and I'm thinking Devoe's transgressions are not the type that all coaches across amercia would sit their players. Just saying.

Damn you Tubby and your old school ways!!!

What is your point? That he shouldn't recruit 'trouble-makers' like Devoe and Al who suddenly do stupid things 3 years into their careers after no prior issues? The only 'risky' recruit he took on was Royce and he had to take that chance. Ridiculous post.

Not trying to be a prick, but I strongly disagree with the idea, premise, question, thought you are raising.

Have to agree. What the point of bringing it up in the first place?

If the suspension is drug related and caused by a toke every now and then, the standards are different, that is one of the things you get with Tubby. Many coaches wouldn't care and probably do not want to know. Some of the suspensions probably wouldn't occur at other programs.

I'd say Tubby is being held responsible and that's why he is dealing with it in the best way he can.

If the suspension is drug related and caused by a toke every now and then, the standards are different, that is one of the things you get with Tubby. Many coaches wouldn't care and probably do not want to know. Some of the suspensions probably wouldn't occur at other programs.

+1. I think the only thing you can be critical of Tubby would be bringing in White. However, I think Tubby really wanted to help this kid. It is kinda of funny that only MSU and Minnesota are handing out suspensions. The rest of the Big Ten must be filled with choir boys.

While im upset over the suspension because i just want us to win, i'd probably be more upset with Tubby if he wouldn't be handing out suspensions when players get out of line.

I think Tubby has done a lot for our program bringing it out of the Monson era. I'm glad he's here.

What baffles me is how most of our fan base seems to give him blind loyalty in every aspect. I can make a long list for how Tubby excels, but there are negatives too.

1. Platoon subbing
2. Bad half court offense tactics
3. Discipline

If this is truly a case of Devoe getting caught with the left handed cigarette with no arrest, then come on. I'm not on the "legalize it' side of things, but is it that big of a deal? Would your eyes finally be opened if Devoe got fed up and transfered?

Is Devoe to blame? Yes. Is the discussion of how Tubby handled it warranted? Absolutely.

Not in the Big Ten. Tubby is a great coach but he does not have higher standards than the rest of this league. No rogue coaches in the Big Ten. imo

If this is truly a case of Devoe getting caught with the left handed cigarette with no arrest, then come on. I'm not on the "legalize it' side of things, but is it that big of a deal? Would your eyes finally be opened if Devoe got fed up and transfered?

It doesn't matter what we think of it or how we believe Tubby should handle it. In the NCAA it's against the law. They set down the testing protocal and the schools set down theirs as well.

Since it's come to this point with Devoe I have to gather one more positive test and he's gone.

Anyone that blames tubby is ******* retarded. What is the coach suppose to do? Have sleep overs with the whole team and have a planned itinerary for them everyday? These student athletes are not 16 years old anymore. They need to start taking responsibility for their own actions. I remember people criticizing tubby for Al Nolens academic issues. Is he suppose to do their homework and take their tests for them? It's up to the players to act like adults and division 1 student athletes

Blizzard - Are you saying Devoe failed a drug test that you administered?

Yes. He pissed all over my Wheaties this morning and I'm not one damn bit happy about either. :)

That's been the rumor since he was a freshman. It certainly makes sense that it's the situation here.

Hilarious.

I'll try to keep my rants to a minimum on this since it's all speculation right now anyway.

While im upset over the suspension because i just want us to win, i'd probably be more upset with Tubby if he wouldn't be handing out suspensions when players get out of line.

But why such a long suspension is my issue.

According to Tubby last year, Royce White was only supposed to sit out the first two exhibition games for his MOA adventure (but then the laptop issue happened) , as well as Bostick I believe he had said. I do not follow, if it is weed, why you suspend a guy for so long for drug tests.

Granted, they are two different atmospheres, but the NBA only suspended Brandon Rush 5 (out of 82) games for his third failed drug test ... Devoe has to sit out 5 (and possibly more) out of 30 games essentially.

While it makes sense to suspend him, that's fine, but when marijuana carries a longer suspension than a DWI (MSU) or shoplifting from MOA? That's where I am confused. I just can't believe this long of a suspension for smoking marijuana (if that is even what it is).

But why such a long suspension is my issue.

According to Tubby last year, Royce White was only supposed to sit out the first two exhibition games for his MOA adventure (but then the laptop issue happened) , as well as Bostick I believe he had said. I do not follow, if it is weed, why you suspend a guy for so long for drug tests.

Granted, they are two different atmospheres, but the NBA only suspends about 5 out of 82 games for drugs ... Devoe has to sit out 5 of 30 games essentially.

While it makes sense to suspend him, that's fine, but when marijuana carries a longer suspension than a DWI or shoplifting from MOA? That's where I am confused. Part of me thinks there might be more than just Tubby making this decision ... I can't believe this long of a suspension for smoking marijuana (if that is even what it is).

Maybe because THC (active ingrident of marijuana) can be detected up to 1 month??? I have a feeling that Devoe has to pass a drug test before he can play again if his issue is weed related.

Go Gophers

It's really hard to find this stuff online.

I'm also under the assumption that Devoe tested positive. It took awhile but here's MSU Mankato's drug policy including suspensions, sanctions, and so on. One would think that the U's policy's are probably pretty similar.

http://www.msumavericks.com/documen...cohol_Education_and_testing_policy.pdf?id=182

I also believe this is out of Tubby's control and once this process starts there isn't a lot he can do about it.

Edit - Oh, also note the " safe harbor " guidelines on page 6 or so.

When does Tubby get held accountable for his players messing up? I agree that he is held accountable every day.

But if by accountable, you mean fired, then that happens when losing players results in losing games.

Or if the messing up gets to the level where the U is embarrassed beyond tolerance. Think Madison, think Dutcher. No problem losing games there. For that matter, think Musselman, think NCAA infractions. No problem losing games there either. And while Muss resigned, he woulda been fired soon enough. In both cases the U got a black eye and the coach took the blame. In Musselman's case, rightfully so. In Dutcher's, well, you could debate that one.

The current situation is more like Dutcher's but very minor in comparison, so we are nowhere near close to that kind of outcome.

But the accountability is there every day. By accountable, you really meant punished.

By every account Devoe is a fine young man. Then how can it be Tubby's fault Joseph suddenly takes a wrong turn? A team rule was broken. It has little to do with legality. So we play it out and hope for the best.

By every account Devoe is a fine young man. Then how can it be Tubby's fault Joseph suddenly takes a wrong turn? A team rule was broken. It has little to do with legality. So we play it out and hope for the best.

If it's a drug test it takes more than 1 to trigger an automatic suspension in most cases unless it's something like anabolic steroids or banned supplements. I watched a tremendous young man and football player (who is now playing for the Redskins) lose his senior season for taking something he bought at GNC on a voluntary test.

If this was over marijuana chances are he failed more than one and that goes back to respect for the authority. If he failed 1 and Tubby went "Do it again and you're in trouble" or a second (or third) positive triggered automatic suspension that's a reflection on Devoe and the regard he has for his coach and his program.

You are the one asking the question and bringing it up. If you "love" Tubby, why would you raise such a question. If you hate Tubby or love him it still shows you don't get it. Either way it is misguided.

Tubby deserves praise for holding individuals accountable. Devoe is a good person. He made a mistake. It's a life lesson. If we had a lesser coach he'd sweep it under the raised floor. The player would have no chance to become a better person. Tubby is not willing to win by compromising right from wrong.

The question is how many more people are going to go from just supporting Tubby to believing he's the best coach any college team could have?

My suggestion is to remove the poll. It totally misses the point.

+1

I think eventually these suspensions will reflect on Tubby as he is the person who recruited many of the players that have been suspended in the last couple of years. Further it is players that are expected to play key roles are being suspended for long periods of time. Eventually it will reflect recruiting talents players with character issues that force Tubby to take action and suspend. I applaud Tubby for taking a tough stance with players and for giving recruits a chance, but it is a reflection on the type of person he is recruiting.

I think eventually these suspensions will reflect on Tubby as he is the person who recruited many of the players that have been suspended in the last couple of years. Further it is players that are expected to play key roles are being suspended for long periods of time. Eventually it will reflect recruiting talents players with character issues that force Tubby to take action and suspend. I applaud Tubby for taking a tough stance with players and for giving recruits a chance, but it is a reflection on the type of person he is recruiting.

You might be right but I think anytime you have situations like this, you try to cross a message to the other players in the team and the players that you are recruiting.

Go Gophers

Assuming the weed rumors are true, unless Tubby passed Devoe the joint he smoked, he is not responsible. Devoe is an adult and is responsible for his own actions. He not only broke a team rule, he broke the law. I commend Tubby for imposing consequences on such acts.

Top Bottom