At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

At 18-14, will the Gophers make the NIT?

• Yes, Gophers are NIT bound

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Nope, NIT dream is over

Votes: 76 69.1%

• Total voters

If they don't this will a very long and painful offseason and Ben's seat will be about as hot as my air fryer is when I make dinner. Ending a season this way after all the promise shown earlier is going to leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths right or wrong.

NIT or CBI for extra practice would be nice. I'd give the entire bench some good minutes. Work on some things rather than only worrying about winning.

Winning next year is what's really important.

NIT or CBI for extra practice would be nice. I'd give the entire bench some good minutes. Work on some things rather than only worrying about winning.

they would have to pay to get in either, not worth it considering who might portal

Really next year? Why not every year!!

I was under the impression that the CBI was reserved for mid majors since a few years back.

Yes... we won't be the only team that loses in tournament games.

I don't think we get in the NIT.....Year 3 was an improvement but looking back 3 years I would say in this position we should be making major changes after this years disappointment.

Compared to last year...better....but to rationalize that makes no sense to me. Gotta change the leadership.

NIT has 32 teams. 12 invites to the top two in six conferences not going to the tourney. Gophers aren't in those two from the big 10

then 20 invites to the best 20 in the NET. Guessing that would get to the mid 80s in NET. Gophers are 88.

quick math has me thinking to 86 (currently PSU). needed to win one more game

add: did find one bracket estimate with the Gophers in it - playing New Mexico

Last edited:

If they don't this will a very long and painful offseason and Ben's seat will be about as hot as my air fryer is when I make dinner. Ending a season this way after all the promise shown earlier is going to leave a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths right or wrong.
Ben's seat should be warm/hot regardless of whether they make the NIT or not at this point. Has to find a way to keep the roster together and add enough to it in order to take another step up next year. Anything short of the NCAA tournament in year 4 probably costs him his job unless there are some major extenuating factors that lead to the team not making it that are out of his control.

Making a post season tournament of some kind this year would probably be good for the team overall but can't see the players or fans being overly fired up about it.

For sure the B1G will send four to the Big Dance (Purdue, Nebraska, Illinois, and NW) that fifth depends on whether Indiana or Michigan State can make a deep run. I think the NIT picks the one that doesn't make it over the Gophers.

For sure the B1G will send four to the Big Dance (Purdue, Nebraska, Illinois, and NW) that fifth depends on whether Indiana or Michigan State can make a deep run. I think the NIT picks the one that doesn't make it over the Gophers.
You skipped Wisconsin

Guaranteed - No.

Highly likely - highly probable. But not guaranteed.

Coyle pulled the plug on Lindsay Whalen - a MN legend. Ben Johnson is not a MN legend.
Short of a scandal or resignation, it’s guaranteed.

He showed significant improvement in year 3, like it or not and regardless if it feels like it or not.

He has year 4 in the bag.

You think Coyle wants to spend a bunch of time, money, and effort looking for a new MBB HC right now?

And when doing so would be an admission of his (Coyle’s) failure in hiring him in the first place?

Last edited:

Ben's seat should be warm/hot regardless of whether they make the NIT or not at this point. Has to find a way to keep the roster together and add enough to it in order to take another step up next year. Anything short of the NCAA tournament in year 4 probably costs him his job unless there are some major extenuating factors that lead to the team not making it that are out of his control.

Making a post season tournament of some kind this year would probably be good for the team overall but can't see the players or fans being overly fired up about it.
Well if they made the NIT and won a couple games I think people would be a lot kinder than they will be if the year ends today.

Honestly, I think if this had happened tomorrow people would be easier on him. Losing to Purdue people would understand...but this is not a very good MSU team and they made us look stupid for long stretches in the second half. The last 10 minutes or so the Gophers looked like a Weakling Wednesday Team.

Top Bottom