As of today, 4,700 tickets remain for TCU game

In my opinion, a big win in a non conference game in early September would have little to no impact on public perception. We've won big games. Heck, we've beaten top 5 teams on the road in the Big Ten. It means nothing unless you follow it up with trophies.

Beating TCU would be great. It would get people's attention. It's going to be a really fun game for the fans who buy tickets. TCU coming to the bank is something to get excited about. However, winning would mean jack squat to the casual fan if we lose to Wisconsin again and are sitting at home on Championship Saturday. Casual fans don't care if we beat TCU and go 4-0 in the non-conference. The only thing the casual fan cares about is division titles, big ten titles, and Rose Bowls.

You are correct. One huge win can push a program forward. That huge win is Ohio State in December in Indianapolis.

You wrong about not meaning jack to the casual fan. Beat TCU and more people will jump on the band wagon than we have seen in 30 years.

Go Gophers

In my opinion, a big win in a non conference game in early September would have little to no impact on public perception. We've won big games. Heck, we've beaten top 5 teams on the road in the Big Ten. It means nothing unless you follow it up with trophies.

Beating TCU would be great. It would get people's attention. It's going to be a really fun game for the fans who buy tickets. TCU coming to the bank is something to get excited about. However, winning would mean jack squat to the casual fan if we lose to Wisconsin again and are sitting at home on Championship Saturday.

Casual fans don't care if we beat TCU and go 4-0 in the non-conference. If we aren't playing in Indy in December, no one will care about us. The only thing the casual fan cares about is division titles, big ten titles, and Rose Bowls.

Agree with all of that except the part in bold. Beating TCU when they are ranked 2nd in the country followed by 3 more Non-Conference wins would bring a level of excitement not seen around here in a long,long time. Follow it by beating NW and Purdue and the Nebraska game will be the most anticipated game since the opener at TCF against Air Force. Or the Michigan game in 2004. That's when they went there ranked 13th in the country to play the 14th ranked Wolverines.

Where they lost and finished the season at 7-5.

Looking at the media guide, the next year at the Dome they started 4-0 with a win against Purdue. The 3 Home Games in the 62,000 seat Dome had announced attendances of 40,221, 40,709 and 48,116. They did beat Alabama to end season and looking at the previous 3 years on Non-Conf attendance those numbers look good.

Why we have people whining about whether there will be 49,000 or 52,000 people at TCF. Those 8-5, 10-3 and 7-5 seasons of '02, '03 and '04 contained Non-Conference Attendances of 32,209, 36,640, 34,294,(and 32,663 against Illinois!) 36,623, 31,393, 34,929, 45,144 and 34,006. Those included a LOT of cheap seats and giveaways too!

However, in 2003 there was a game played against Michigan after the Gophers went 6-0. There were 62,374 people in the Dome that night.

We all know how that Marketing Opportunity ended though don't we...:mad:

You wrong about not meaning jack to the casual fan. Beat TCU and more people will jump on the band wagon than we have seen in 30 years.

Go Gophers

We've had people on the bandwagon before. Maybe not to the extent that they would be on if we beat TCU. But we've had opportunities to capitalize on bandwagon fans. They always fall off by the end of October.

TCU by itself is not program changing. Beating TCU along with the Huskers, Wolverines, Badgers, and Hawks is. TCU doesn't matter without following it up in conference. Do you know what the bandwagon says after we beat TCU and lose any of our first 4 conference games @purdue, @northwestern, Nebraska, and Michigan? "Same old Gophers. At least the Vikings play tomorrow."

Agree with all of that except the part in bold. Beating TCU when they are ranked 2nd in the country followed by 3 more Non-Conference wins would bring a level of excitement not scene around here in a long,long time. Follow it by beating NW and Purdue and the Nebraska game will be the most anticipated game since the opener at TCF against Air Force. Or the Michigan game in 2004. That's when they went there ranked 13th in the country to play the 14th ranked Wolverines.

Where they lost and finished the season at 7-5.

Looking at the media guide, the next year at the Dome they started 4-0 with a win against Purdue. The 3 Home Games in the 62,000 seat Dome had announced attendances of 40,221, 40,709 and 48,116. They did beat Alabama to end season and looking at the previous 3 years on Non-Conf attendance those numbers look good.

Why we have people whining about whether there will be 49,000 or 52,000 people at TCF those 8-5, 10-3 and 7-5 seasons of '02, '03 and '04 contained Non-Conference Attendances of 32,209, 36,640, 34,294,(and 32,663 against Illinois!) 36,623, 31,393, 34,929, 45,144 and 34,006. Those included a LOT of cheap seats and giveaways too!

However, in 2003 there was a game played against Michigan after the Gophers went 6-0. There were 62,374 people in the Dome that night.

We all know how that Marketing Opportunity ended though don't we...:mad:

You're correct. 4-0 would mean something, but we'd have to capitalize in conference to keep the momentum.

Beating TCU would be great. It would get people's attention. It's going to be a really fun game for the fans who buy tickets. TCU coming to the bank is something to get excited about. However, winning would mean jack squat to the casual fan if we lose to Wisconsin again and are sitting at home on Championship Saturday. Casual fans don't care if we beat TCU and go 4-0 in the non-conference. The only thing the casual fan cares about is division titles, big ten titles, and Rose Bowls.

You are correct. One huge win can push a program forward. That huge win is Ohio State in December in Indianapolis.

Nonsense!

The casual fan knows what #2 in the country means. Not sure if many casual fans know what division the Gophers are in.......or what Championship Saturday is.

Nonsense!

The casual fan knows what #2 in the country means. Not sure if many casual fans know what division the Gophers are in.......or what Championship Saturday is.
The casual fans in this town think that it's a preseason game, not a game vs the #2 team in the country.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

In my opinion, a big win in a non conference game in early September would have little to no impact on public perception.

I disagree. A win in this game would put the Gophers ranked around #12-15 and there's a decent chance they wouldn't lose again for at least 6 more weeks. Do you not think that 6 weeks of being ranked in the top 15 and potentially working into the top 10 would change public perception?

I do agree with the poster that said this game will have little to no effect on the individual season, but this game could have a larger impact on the program in general.

I never understood why folks care whether or not the "casual fan" jumps on the bandwagon??

Looking forward to a great opening game. I'm traveling up with a few thousand TCU fans. We travel ok for a campus with only 8000 students. I have a lot of family in the cities so I'm looking forward to seeing them, catching a tailgate and then heading to the lake house for the weekend in Northern MN. I think as the game nears most of the tickets will be sold. And i agree with most posters here, that beating TCU would put the Gophs on the bandwagon map to start the season. It would for sure ruin our season. Best of luck to you guys I hope the stadium is packed.

I think getting the disenchanted fans back is more important than appealing to casual ones. Until last season we weren't much of home team. Going 3-1 with a close loss to Ohio St was a big deal. People don't want drive all that way and spend all that money to see the team lose. The other thing people want to see is more offense.

Now that's a gift.

The worst part is I thought about that and still typed it. Not good but thanks for the laugh. P.S. My wife says I have selective hearing but doesn't know the half of it.

Looking forward to a great opening game. I'm traveling up with a few thousand TCU fans. We travel ok for a campus with only 8000 students. I have a lot of family in the cities so I'm looking forward to seeing them, catching a tailgate and then heading to the lake house for the weekend in Northern MN. I think as the game nears most of the tickets will be sold. And i agree with most posters here, that beating TCU would put the Gophs on the bandwagon map to start the season. It would for sure ruin our season. Best of luck to you guys I hope the stadium is packed.

You too! Enjoy the game and the time with your family.

The worst part is I thought about that and still typed it. Not good but thanks for the laugh. P.S. My wife says I have selective hearing but doesn't know the half of it.

Glad you laughed. I don't really like all the snarky pr*cks correcting the smallest errors here but I found yours funny so I decided to comment.

Re: ticket sales. you don't build a fan base overnight. one big win is nice, but building a fan base is a long-term endeavor. Unfortunately, two whole generations of potential Gopher fans were mostly lost during the 40-year dry spell of no conference titles and a local media that turned Gopher FB into a running joke and a punching bag. Anyone born in MN after 1967 has grown up with "The Gophers Stink" pounded into their consciousness.

A big win might prompt some of those "lost" fans to take another look at Gopher FB, but for the long-term success of the program, the fans they have to be targeting are the current students and others in that age group. get them interested in Gopher FB, and hopefully keep them as fans as they go out into the work force and develop the income needed to be season-ticket holders and travel to road games (and bowl games.)

Beating TCU might sell a few more tickets for this season. But it's not going to be the "magic bullet" that suddenly turns everyone in the the Twin Cities into rabid Gopher Fans.

We want to get back to the point when people supported the Gophers during good and bad times both. Is that possible?.....who knows, but we need to never quit trying.

We want to get back to the point when people supported the Gophers during good and bad times both. Is that possible?.....who knows, but we need to never quit trying.

The Gophers are the true and original football team of Minnesota, not the Vikings.

I'm trying to get my friends to care more. I'm only 25 and I didn't attend the UoM.

The Gophers are the true and original football team of Minnesota, not the Vikings.

I'm not arguing that fact, but I think that will only resonate with people born before the vikings were here in town and last time I checked we are already loaded with that demographic. It's like trying to tell someone under 50 that they should cook popcorn on a stove top instead of in a microwave.

I'm not arguing that fact, but I think that will only resonate with people born before the vikings were here in town and last time I checked we are already loaded with that demographic. It's like trying to tell someone under 50 that they should cook popcorn on a stove top instead of in a microwave.

A lot of young people cook popcorn on the stove. The butter in microwave popcorn is pure carcinogens.

And you changed it because???

Makes no sense. Are you saying no one should ever learn about history unless they were part of it? It's the need to get the message to the new ones we are trying to attract.

I'm trying to get my friends to care more. I'm only 25 and I didn't attend the UoM.

I'm 66 and didn't attend the U either. I grew up cheering for the Gophers....Eller, Bell, Stephens..etc. Even when I was at Moorhead State, all us MN kids were Gophher fans.
The Gophers were the team of the whole state of MN. Need to get that back.

Gophers do the road trip thing which is nice, but that is pretty much it for outstate promotion.

Oh yeah, keep up the good work.

Makes no sense. Are you saying no one should ever learn about history unless they were part of it? It's the need to get the message to the new ones we are trying to attract.

I'm saying it's not a message that will resonate with the young (under 50 is young when talking gophers) because they grew up Vikings fans first then learned about the gophers. That's why they sell 50,000 tickets to an exhibition game in August. Your statement is basically pulling the vikings down to push the gophers up and it's not IMO a smart marketing plan because the easiest fans for us to gain would be Vikings fans who are not yet gopher fans and trying to tell them they are wrong to be vikings fans first gophers fans second won't work.

Looking at the seating chart, it appears it's really just the one corner (230-234) that has tickets left.

Looking at the seating chart, it appears it's really just the one corner (230-234) that has tickets left.

Count me as someone who has always thought this would be a sell-out as we got closer to the game. The problem is that a lot of people aren't thinking about football in July and early August. With the Vikings not having their first home game until Sept. 20, people are going to be ready for football.

That's why they sell 50,000 tickets to an exhibition game in August.

The Vikings sell 50,000 tickets for preseason games in August mostly because the season ticket base doesn't get a choice. In my opinion, nothing worse than pre season NFL football.

Top Bottom