Armstrong - Cooper game

Mayne Street

Reaction score
If you're looking for entertainment value, check out Rodney Williams. That kid can fly! Here are some of my thoughts on the game, which Cooper won 76-59:

Rodney Williams - he had 3 dunks in the first 3 minutes of the game. He threw down a 360, multiple alley-oops, and thundering put backs. I was impressed with his leaping and rebounding ability. He has a good looking shot, but he didn't use it much. He scored 29 points in the game, had several rebounds and blocks (don't keep stats during the game, sorry). He didn't play a whole lot of defense. He stands underneath the hoop and just tries to block shots. It was effective though, as several Armstrong players had to alter shots in the lane to get over Rodney. He'll need to work on his conditioning when he gets to college (he jogs up and down the court every possession). He also won't be able to get in the lane at will in the Big Ten and get easy putbacks. As fun as Rodney is to watch, I'm not getting my hopes up for him as an impact player as a freshman. He needs to add some muscle and learn how to play Tubby ball. However, as an example of his freakish athletic ability, Rodney elevated for a rebound that went behind his head. While in the air, he reached behind his head and caught the ball with one hand, then dunked with a fully extended arm. It was incredible!

Quincy Bethea (#10) - the only other player on Cooper that showed some talent that could take him to the college game. He could shoot from long range and ran the point well. Ultra-quick guard and superb defender. I checked Rivals and he isn't even listed. He's a senior and I would think he'd have some lower level D1 offers or D2 offers.

Damarius Cruz (#14 Armstrong) - clearly Armstrong's best player. He has a smooth stroke, but was streaky. He has very good ball handling skills and is speedy. Damarius got into the lane and was able to finish with Rodney looming. Another senior that didn't show up on Rivals.

Andy Seidlitz (#21 Armstrong) - a poor man's Blake Hoffarber. He kept Armstrong in the game with his three point shooting.

Marquel Curtis (#30 Armstrong) - a non-factor in the game. I was hoping to see him step up in a big rivarly game. Missed a lot of open shots and didn't look comfortable until Cooper had broken the game open. He's only a sophomore, so look for this name to keep showing up as the season progresses.

Overall thoughts on the game - Cooper plays up-tempo offense and scrappy defense. The scrappy and aggressive defense lead to a lot of petty fouls 30 feet from the hoop. I think Armstrong would be better suited for a half-court game, but they got caught playing Cooper's game. A wildly entertaining game with Rodney creating his own highlight reel. I'm more of a basketball purist and enjoy the team game that Hopkins plays. However, if you haven't seen a Cooper game, I strongly recommend spending the $6 because Rodney's dunks will blow your mind.

Good post. Couple questions on Curtis. Where does he play? Is he a wing or more of a inside player? Also, how does his shot look?

Great analysis Mayne Street. I think at times Rodney gets bored on the court and only plays as hard as required to win. I have high hopes for him to develop into a big-time impact player by his sophomore year.

Cruz

Cruz recently committed to play at Minnesota Crookston. Very nice get for them.

For those who live in the Northwest metro, the game will be televised on Cable 12 tonight and tomarrow.

i would love to have a really athletic playmaker to get the gophers on the highlight reels. i know tubby's style is not flashy and i like it, but i wouldn't mind a little flash.

When do Cooper and Hopkins play? Or have they played already? I would love to see that one. The gym will likely be packed. I am not a great HS basketball mind but just looking at that Hopkins roster its hard to see how they lose a game all year.

Hopkins plays at Cooper on Tuesday, Feb. 3rd. There will certainly be a lot of athleticism on the court in that game, but I wonder if Cooper will have enough size to deal with Broghammer and White inside. Hopkins also plays at Sibley on Friday, Jan. 9th. Sibley certainly has more than enough size to deal with Hopkins, but it will be interesting to see how Sibley's guards handle the athleticism of Hopkins' guards and the pressure they can apply. Both should be very entertaining games.

Sibley has quite a difficult schedule, as they play the runaway #1 from both Minnesota and Wisconsin (Madison Memorial) this season.

Due to lack of size, Armstrong plays with a 4 guard lineup. Curtis plays a 3, but I'd project him to be a shooting guard in college. If he grows a few inches he could potentially play a 3 at the next level. He has a decent frame that could add weight too. The mechanics of his shot look great. I really liked the way he set his feet and always squared up to the hoop. He gets good elevation, but he wasn't hitting much on Friday night. He could be a special player in the coming years.

I was sitting next to Curtis' dad at the game and he said that Cruz had some major D1 offers that were pulled because he wanted to take his time making a decision. He's not listed on Rivals on though and I'm not sure I buy his story. Regardless, he's a good player and should do very well at Crookston.

I wonder if/when local kids will pass up low D1 offers to walk on at the U and play for Tubby.

I'm with you Mayne

I was sitting next to Curtis' dad at the game and he said that Cruz had some major D1 offers that were pulled because he wanted to take his time making a decision. He's not listed on Rivals on though and I'm not sure I buy his story. Regardless, he's a good player and should do very well at Crookston.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that either. From high D-1 offers, to playing for UMN, Crookston?! Crookston is a garbage team. According to their team website, they had 4 wins last year: Concordia-St. Paul, Minnesota- Morris, Dakota State (WTF?), and Bemidji State University. His dad must have confused scholarship offers with junk mail.

Top Bottom