Arizona State @ Minnesota: 1-3-21 & 1-4-21

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

McManus returns to action:

When the top-ranked Gophers men's hockey team returns to the ice Sunday afternoon against Arizona State, it will receive a boost in the return of senior forward Brannon McManus, who missed the past four games because of a lower-body injury.

"I waited eight months to play four games, and I had to wait another two months to play however many we have left," said McManus, whose five points were leading the Gophers at the time of his injury. "I might be a little bit behind, and it'll take a couple shifts to get right back into it, but it's all excitement from here on out.'
'

Gophers may also have a new 4th liner transfer in the lineup soon. Signs pointing to Colin Schmidt, former Gopher commit.

Games on FSN so most cord cutters/streamers like me are again out of luck.

Games on FSN so most cord cutters/streamers like me are again out of luck.
Cord cutting is now overrated. I had YTTV, dropped it, and got Comcast streaming (no box needed, basically the same at YTTV) for cheaper and more channels just because I needed FSN especially.

Cord cutting is now overrated. I had YTTV, dropped it, and got Comcast streaming (no box needed, basically the same at YTTV) for cheaper and more channels just because I needed FSN especially.
Who is your internet provider?

Comcast, so I'll always have that relationship with Comcast anyways unless Google Fiber comes
The amount of $$ I have saved cord cutting is a lot. First time having an issue like this...assume it will get resolved since Sinclair is completely upside-down since purchasing the FOX RSNs. There's also a lot of streaming only eyeballs missing (and growing) based on who dropped the RSNs.

The amount of $$ I have saved cord cutting is a lot. First time having an issue like this...assume it will get resolved since Sinclair is completely upside-down since purchasing the FOX RSNs. There's also a lot of streaming only eyeballs missing (and growing) based on who dropped the RSNs.
Sure at some point it will. I pay 47 a month for Comcast TV (locked in for two years, one year commitment). So unless YTTV drops their prices (doubt it), I will save hundreds over two years by dropping YTTV.

Sure at some point it will. I pay 47 a month for Comcast TV (locked in for two years, one year commitment). So unless YTTV drops their prices (doubt it), I will save hundreds over two years by dropping YTTV.
Has the same features as YTTV? Unlimited DVR, rewind on live tv, large on-demand library, etc?

Sinclair can burn to the ground if you ask me. Obviously they are morons if they keep getting dropped on platforms. I havent had fsn in 2 years, biggest joke ever.

Gophers may also have a new 4th liner transfer in the lineup soon. Signs pointing to Colin Schmidt, former Gopher commit.

MINNEAPOLIS – As the top-ranked Gopher men's hockey program prepares to start the second half, head coach Bob Motzko has announced that forward Colin Schmidt has been added to the 2020-21 roster.

A native of Wayzata, Minn., Schmidt spent the 2019-20 season at Union, skating in 32 games as a freshman and recording five points (one goal, four assists). The forward earned AHCA All-America Scholar and ECAC Hockey All-Academic honors with the Dutchmen.

Prior to starting his collegiate career, Schmidt spent the 2018-19 season with the Jamestown Rebels in the NAHL, notching 27 points (eight goals, 19 assists) in 41 regular-season games before adding three points (two goals, one assist) in five playoff games. He also appeared in six regular-season games and one playoff game with the Waterloo Black Hawks in the USHL between the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons.

As a prep, Schmidt played at Wayzata High School for former Gopher Pat O'Leary – helping the Trojans claim the 2016 MSHSL Class AA state championship. The forward earned All-Lake Conference accolades in each of his three seasons as a prep and was a finalist for the Mr. Hockey Award as a senior captain in 2018.

Schmidt will wear No. 16 for the Maroon & Gold.

What’s your total Comcast Bill? They add a $15 “regional sports fee”, a broadcast tv fee and an HD fee for another $30/month at least in monthly fees.

What’s your total Comcast Bill? They add a $15 “regional sports fee”, a broadcast tv fee and an HD fee for another $30/month at least in monthly fees.
Well I pay 90 for gigabit internet (I've had this prior) which some people would say is too much but I want the fast speed. But then when I added TV to it, my total is 137. So that's why I say my TV is 47 dollars total with taxes and fees. If I got YTTV again I would pay 90 + 65 and have no FSN for the only team I care about.

Well I pay 90 for gigabit internet (I've had this prior) which some people would say is too much but I want the fast speed. But then when I added TV to it, my total is 137. So that's why I say my TV is 47 dollars total with taxes and fees. If I got YTTV again I would pay 90 + 65 and have no FSN for the only team I care about.

I currently pay $45/month for 200mbps from Xfinity. Ironically, it would also cost me $137 to add their cheapest TV bundle that includes FSN and DVR. $48 in fees and taxes added as soon as you add TV.

I share YTTV with my Dad who lives close by so it’s significantly cheaper. FSN is a deal breaker for me come Twins season

Wow, really quiet out here. Gophs did win today...

Last edited:

Wow, really quite out here. Gophs did win today...
Busy gopher athletic schedule today. I'll probably check out some of the replay. Think this might also be an example the loss of the WCHA and the expansion of hockey to warm climates. For me personally it's hard to get excited about playing a team from Arizona or Alabama or Florida.

It was sloppy but a win is a win against a bad team. I believe the Gophers may be the 5th best team or so in the country behind UND, UMD, SCSU, and maybe around BC or Mankato based on watching the first three play each other multiple times.

I'm now a little worried about the lack of tournament quality opposition for the Gophers come playoff time.

It was sloppy but a win is a win against a bad team. I believe the Gophers may be the 5th best team or so in the country behind UND, UMD, SCSU, and maybe around BC or Mankato based on watching the first three play each other multiple times.

I'm now a little worried about the lack of tournament quality opposition for the Gophers come playoff time.
4-1, OK. :rolleyes:

ASU sucks and the Gophers were sloppy in the first period and went like 18 minutes or something without a shot at the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd. By their standards from earlier this year, yes it was sloppy.

ASU sucks and the Gophers were sloppy in the first period and went like 18 minutes or something without a shot at the end of the 2nd and into the 3rd. By their standards from earlier this year, yes it was sloppy.
OK.

Is St Cloud's loss to WMU or BC's loss to UConn better than Gophs sloppy 4-1 win today?

I don't think Cloud is better than us. They do a great job of playing competitive against the good teams of the NCHC. But they are already very vulnerable to the clunkers, and come tourney time thats a specialty.

We are definitely deeper in talent. UND and UMD are tougher considering the talent gap greatly reduces if not completely. And those teams are obviously getting more consistently tested.

I think we can go toe to toe with both. UMD has that tourney magic tho.

I don't think Cloud is better than us. They do a great job of playing competitive against the good teams of the NCHC. But they are already very vulnerable to the clunkers, and come tourney time thats a specialty.

We are definitely deeper in talent. UND and UMD are tougher considering the talent gap greatly reduces if not completely. And those teams are obviously getting more consistently tested.

I think we can go toe to toe with both. UMD has that tourney magic tho.
Fair assessment all around. UND has a little more talent on the top end. Two Hobey contender forwards in Pinto and Kawaguchi, an immediate impact freshman in Gaber, and Sanderson and Kierstad on the back end.

UMD has less talent on paper but has been champion for 1000+ days now and until someone knocks them off they are king.

SCSU is like a wildcard but the freshman Miettinen is a star and potential freshman of the year if the Michigan guys take "votes" from each other.

Two things. First, Glad the Gophers won. I had to listen to the stream on the Gopher app. Second, FSN is screwed if they don't figure out a way to resolve the issue with the streaming sites like YTTV. I'm not going back to cable and neither are others. Sports teams will drop FSN like a bad habit as soon as possible.

Two things. First, Glad the Gophers won. I had to listen to the stream on the Gopher app. Second, FSN is screwed if they don't figure out a way to resolve the issue with the streaming sites like YTTV. I'm not going back to cable and neither are others. Sports teams will drop FSN like a bad habit as soon as possible.
To be honest college hockey is a niche sport with MN one of the only states getting decent viewership, so it would not surprise me if within a couple years the best way to watch 25-50% of the Gopher hockey schedule is a season long streaming package like the NCHC relies heavily on now.

To be honest college hockey is a niche sport with MN one of the only states getting decent viewership, so it would not surprise me if within a couple years the best way to watch 25-50% of the Gopher hockey schedule is a season long streaming package like the NCHC relies heavily on now.
BTN+ is sort of that already. I can see existing streaming services adding more "+" or Alternate college conference stream channels in the near future.

Top Bottom