Arian Foster: “I was getting money” at Tennessee

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Foster:

I don’t know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation — my senior year, I was getting money on the side,” said Foster. “I really didn’t have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, ‘Man, be careful.’ But there’s nothing wrong with it. And you’re not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

http://network.yardbarker.com/colle...4588182?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a full rid scholarship include meal plans and money for housing?

Pretty soon they'll be getting paid for their likeness, autographs, and such. So it will get better for them. I have no sympathy for the schools or the NCAA.

Good for you Foster for taking the money. You should've made more.

Foster:

I don’t know if this will throw us into an NCAA investigation — my senior year, I was getting money on the side,” said Foster. “I really didn’t have any money. I had to either pay the rent or buy some food. I remember the feeling of like, ‘Man, be careful.’ But there’s nothing wrong with it. And you’re not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

http://network.yardbarker.com/colle...4588182?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

And yet some folks truly believe all schools are on a level playing field......

Pretty soon they'll be getting paid for their likeness, autographs, and such.

Nah.

So it will get better for them.

Oh, the poor, poor athletes who voluntarily enter into a voluntary arrangement with the knowledge that they will not receive cash compensation. They are so mistreated. They have such a heavy burden to bear.

I have no sympathy for the schools or the NCAA.

They're not looking for sympathy. They're looking for people to follow the rules they agreed to follow.

Breaking the rules is awesome! Being honorable is for suckers!

I had to either pay the rent or buy some food.

Oh please. You must think we're all idiots. You have all the free food you can eat. And you have free housing as well. If you wanted to get your own place and buy more expensive food, that's your problem, not the NCAA's. Quit school and football and go get a real job like the rest of us.

But there’s nothing wrong with it. And you’re not going to convince me that there is something wrong with it.

If you have no morals and feel no imperative to live up to your word? Sure, there's nothing wrong with it.

And when I read the link below a couple of weeks ago, I thought he was a great guy. Seems he wants to just play by his own rules.

Clickity

Oh please. You must think we're all idiots. You have all the free food you can eat. And you have free housing as well. If you wanted to get your own place and buy more expensive food, that's your problem, not the NCAA's. Quit school and football and go get a real job like the rest of us.

If you have no morals and feel no imperative to live up to your word? Sure, there's nothing wrong with it.

Take your moral superiority to Liberty's board.

Let's all follow the unjust and, in some cases, illegal rules that you are forced to follow in order to further your athletic career. Who cares if the bargaining power is tipped 100% against the athlete, you've got to follow those rules because it's moral. Let's not examine the morality of the people in power making those rules. They're already extremely moral and just for even giving you the opportunity to attend school on a year-to-year scholarship. Every athlete should be grateful to their school and the NCAA. In fact, those athletes should thank every NCAA individual and every coach they've ever met. Those are some mighty fine people making the rules that are in the best interest of the athlete. They would never make rules to benefit themselves to or to even balance the athlete and school's/NCAA's interests. They're always making rules that are best for the athletes.

I think I did a good job paraphrasing you Dpod.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a full rid scholarship include meal plans and money for housing?

I think by "rent and food" he meant clothes, video games, jewelry, gifts for his girlfriends, etc. Simple mistake.

Let's all follow the unjust and, in some cases, illegal rules that you are forced to follow in order to further your athletic career. Who cares if the bargaining power is tipped 100% against the athlete, you've got to follow those rules because it's moral. Let's not examine the morality of the people in power making those rules. They're already extremely moral and just for even giving you the opportunity to attend school on a year-to-year scholarship. Every athlete should be grateful to their school and the NCAA. In fact, those athletes should thank every NCAA individual and every coach they've ever met. Those are some mighty fine people making the rules that are in the best interest of the athlete. They would never make rules to benefit themselves to or to even balance the athlete and school's/NCAA's interests. They're always making rules that are best for the athletes.

Dpo is right and you are wrong. The rules are the rules. They aren't necessarily made to be in the best short term interests of the athletes, which you point out. They are made in the intersect of fair competition and a level playing field, to the extent that it is possible. I do not like the NCAA, but there is no obviously better plan. If there was no limit on paying players, or any rules at all, and you could just play football, get paid, and not to to class, you think that would be better for these kids in the long run? They'd get maybe $50k when they're 18 (GOOOOONE), the stars would get paid a lot, and 95% would end up with less than they currently get.

I don't really care if the players get paid or not but what I do care about is a level playing field. If some can get away with an unfair advantage, it'll continue to be a very long time for the (presumably) rule following Gophers to ever make the Rose Bowl again.

It's why I hate MLB baseball and the grossly advantaged Yankees/Red Sox and why I enjoy the parity in the evenly balanced NFL.

It's laughable that a player at U of Tennessee would be worried about where his food and rent are coming from. Football players eat like kings for free. I'm pretty sure Tennessee has dormitories, too. It's customary for students to live in them.

So when these guys got into college to play football ALL of the rules suddently changed for them? Apparently they had no idea what they were getting themselves into? That's a rough deal. They knew the rules going in and they HAMMER those rules home even moreso at the bigger schools.

If you don't like the fact that college athletes are "exploited", you're in for a long hard life, my friend. We are ALL exploited. You'd better get used to it early. What's the difference between their situation and that of the real world? I almost single-handedly win multi-million dollar contracts for my company. Guess what? I'm being exploited too. The only difference is, I'm not getting my room and board paid for by someone else.

"The athletes are being exploited!!" Good grief, what an absolutely assinine notion. Better get used to it, it doesn't stop when you hang up the cleats.

So when these guys got into college to play football ALL of the rules suddently changed for them? Apparently they had no idea what they were getting themselves into? That's a rough deal. They knew the rules going in and they HAMMER those rules home even moreso at the bigger schools.

If you don't like the fact that college athletes are "exploited", you're in for a long hard life, my friend. We are ALL exploited. You'd better get used to it early. What's the difference between their situation and that of the real world? I almost single-handedly win multi-million dollar contracts for my company. Guess what? I'm being exploited too. The only difference is, I'm not getting my room and board paid for by someone else.

"The athletes are being exploited!!" Good grief, what an absolutely assinine notion. Better get used to it, it doesn't stop when you hang up the cleats.

The difference is you can market yourself to other companies, negotiate your compensation, receive bonuses for superior performance and have multiple employment options with various compensation opportunities. In other words, if you don't like what you are paid you can seek better and if you don't like who you work for you can move on.

NCAA scholarship football players have none of these freedoms except pick a team and get the same as everyone else. If they choose to move to another team, they are forced to sit out a year, potentially hurting or delaying their future options. And don't give me the non-compete argument. Less than .1% of all workers in the US face a post-employment restriction and most states (including PA & MN) won't enforce them even if you have one.

If we could just pay them and free them from the academic burden they'd be so much better off - like the fighters in the UFC.

My God man! So wrong.

The difference is you can market yourself to other companies, negotiate your compensation, receive bonuses for superior performance and have multiple employment options with various compensation opportunities. In other words, if you don't like what you are paid you can seek better and if you don't like who you work for you can move on.

NCAA scholarship football players have none of these freedoms except pick a team and get the same as everyone else. If they choose to move to another team, they are forced to sit out a year, potentially hurting or delaying their future options. And don't give me the non-compete argument. Less than .1% of all workers in the US face a post-employment restriction and most states (including PA & MN) won't enforce them even if you have one.

Anyone who thinks a college football player has engaged in a employee/employer relationship is seeing the entire picture wrong. The NCAA/athletic departments aren't tricking anyone, there is no hidden trick about what happens when you sign on the dotted line as a recruit. You are voluntarily waiving certain rights in order to receive the immense benefit of a college education complete with tutoring that will aid you for the rest of your life, if you don't think it's fair that you aren't going to be given money when a guy who kind of looks like you appears in a video game maybe college athletics isn't the right place for you. Heck without being good at football some of these superstar college players (obviously not all) wouldn't even be admitted to many of the schools they play for, and to have that door opened for you is very valuable compensation.

Anyone who thinks a college football player has engaged in a employee/employer relationship is seeing the entire picture wrong. The NCAA/athletic departments aren't tricking anyone, there is no hidden trick about what happens when you sign on the dotted line as a recruit. You are voluntarily waiving certain rights in order to receive the immense benefit of a college education complete with tutoring that will aid you for the rest of your life, if you don't think it's fair that you aren't going to be given money when a guy who kind of looks like you appears in a video game maybe college athletics isn't the right place for you. Heck without being good at football some of these superstar college players (obviously not all) wouldn't even be admitted to many of the schools they play for, and to have that door opened for you is very valuable compensation.

Yes I am sure that Texas A & M diploma will about equal to the hundreds of millions of dollars that A & M is making in donations, ticket & merchandise sales and TV revenue. Fu_cking Manziel should just consider himself lucky that he could trade millions in value for a $100,000 worth of education.

And I didn't equate it to a job, the post I referenced did and I was working off that analogy.

Pretty soon they'll be getting paid for their likeness, autographs, and such. So it will get better for them. I have no sympathy for the schools or the NCAA.

Should High School players be paid? I watched the boys from CDH & Stillwater on ESPN last Friday night. ESPN sold ads, made money, St Thomas presumably sold some tickets, etc.

I could care less if people give them money.

Well, if you think there is an imbalance now between the haves and have nots, think what it'd be like if schools could pay players? Seemingly impossible to regulate, and I'm pretty sure Texas, Bama, Oklahoma, USC, etc, are going to have donors more willing to spend on football players than the Minnesotas, Purdues, etc.

If there was no limit on paying players, or any rules at all, and you could just play football, get paid, and not to to class, you think that would be better for these kids in the long run? They'd get maybe $50k when they're 18 (GOOOOONE), the stars would get paid a lot, and 95% would end up with less than they currently get.

S2, the social engineer. How about freedom?

Yes I am sure that Texas A & M diploma will about equal to the hundreds of millions of dollars that A & M is making in donations, ticket & merchandise sales and TV revenue. Fu_cking Manziel should just consider himself lucky that he could trade millions in value for a $100,000 worth of education.

Was this a surprise to Manziel, and all other NCAA scholarship athletes, when they signed? No. They know it's a deal slanted towards the NCAA. I have no sympathy for these student athletes who complain after signing an agreement that trades their time for an education. Learning isn't restricted to just the the classroom. Life happens.

Well said!

I would have happily had my education paid for to play football in college. Instead, I chose a different path, giving up academic $$ in Wisconsin to go to school at the U and run track on a 0% scholarship. I chose to take loans to pay for school and be an athlete; loans I will be paying for another 10 years btw, and I'm 34. But I wouldn't change anything about my decision. It was worth it to me to go to the U. I have not an ounce of sympathy for college football players. Those guys lived like kings on campus, got an education free of charge and a great experience that not many people get. How much is that worth? Assuming a player isn't an absolute imbecile and can finish school with a degree, there are so many supporters out there that will hire former football players at the U, or at any major university for that matter. It is a huge benefit for the rest of their lives to have that connection to big time college football.

Arian Foster is a moron. Besides the training table for the football players, players that live off campus get a check from the university for room and board for the semester, which is plenty to cover an average student's room and board. They get loads of gear, shoes, clothes, etc that average students don't get. Plus if they made a bowl game, for example, and had to be at school for practice, they would be given a per diem to cover the extra expense of food while school is not in session. I'm sure there was a players lounge that was loaded with drinks and snacks for the team. What a crock.

S2, the social engineer. How about freedom?
Here's some stats about the wonderful bargain in the UFC. [1] Did you know the worst bench warmer on the worst Women’s NBA team makes double what the average entry-level UFC fighter does? [2] How about this, there was a UFC event in 2013 in which, apparently, the highest guaranteed pay on the card was $30k/$30k. [3] Did you know, a fighter received only $12,000 in disclosed pay while fighting for a title and main-eventing a Pay-Per-View, this year? [4] The median average wage for a top 15 fighter in the UFC is just $30,500 per year. Meanwhile, those with a bachelors degree earn up to $20,000 a year more than those with high school diplomas. Over 45 years of earnings that's $900,000. Discount for robust inflation and it's still $666,000. So by all means let's do what the UFC does and pay these guys instead of educating them. That way they'll be "free".

Here's some stats about the wonderful bargain in the UFC. [1] Did you know the worst bench warmer on the worst Women’s NBA team makes double what the average entry-level UFC fighter does? [2] How about this, there was a UFC event in 2013 in which, apparently, the highest guaranteed pay on the card was $30k/$30k. [3] Did you know, a fighter received only $12,000 in disclosed pay while fighting for a title and main-eventing a Pay-Per-View, this year? [4] The median average wage for a top 15 fighter in the UFC is just $30,500 per year. Meanwhile, those with a bachelors degree earn up to $20,000 a year more than those with high school diplomas. Over 45 years of earnings that's $900,000. Discount for robust inflation and it's still $666,000. So by all means let's do what the UFC does and pay these guys instead of educating them. That way they'll be "free".

Exactly: You also advocate social engineering. Is someone forcing UFC fighters to enter the profession?

No they are free just like college athletes.

Agree. A couple of the posters above seemed to be saying we should restrict players to the existing system because it's better for the players. Shouldn't the players decide this? In fact, they do.

Top Bottom