Reaction score
Is Johnson and his staff done for now?

This is their current squad:

PG: Mitchell/Hawkins
SG: Christie/Carrington
SF: JoJ/Betts/Ramburg
PF: Garcia/Ihnen/Walk-on kid I can’t remember
C: Payne/Fox/Wilson

They still have a s holly to throw at a SF. Will they get one?

Roster should be improved just with the fact we got 2 ball handlers who can shoot the three and appear quicker than Cooper.

That’s all they have to hang their hats on along with flickering hope Betts can step in and help.

Would love to see a surprise signing of an effective wing.

You got the names right but I disagree with the “conventional wisdom” on many positions. You also left out the minutes they will play at each position. Lol. BTW, not laughing at you.

You left off Purcell and Reader. Mostly your comments were decent for a fan on the outside.

Purcell and Reader are hardly worth remembering at this point.

You want minutes? Hardly worth guessing what they will be but here is what I’d like to see:

Mitchell and Hawkins 20 min at PG.
Christie and Carrington 20 min at SG.
JoJ 30 min, Betts 10 at SF
Garcia 30 min, Ihnen 10 at PF
Payne 25 min, Fox 10, Wilson 5 at C.

What we’ll probably get:

PG: Mitchell or Hawkins 35, the other 5
SG: Mitchell or Hawkins 20, Christie 10, Carringyon 10
SF: JoJ 25, Christie 10, Betts 5
PF: Garcia 20, JoJ 10, Ihnen 10
C: Payne 20, Garcia 15, Fox 5

Does that scratch your itch for complete fan level guess work?

Bens going to roll out his top 5 and ride them like a used up horse in an old Western.

His bench is short and he doesn’t give people a lot of rope if he has substitution options.

And yeah, I think very little of your posts RockRaven.

Roster should be improved just with the fact we got 2 ball handlers who can shoot the three and appear quicker than Cooper.

That’s all they have to hang their hats on along with flickering hope Betts can step in and help.

That SF spot is scary bad. If JOJ and Betts are the bulk of their minutes at the wing, we won't finish higher than 12th in conference.

Olo-Joseph averaged 4X as many TOs as assists last year. As underwhelming as Ramberg is as a potential wing, he averaged more assists per minutes and had a 1:1 A/TO. Olo-Joseph should not be playing wing.

If we are dumb enough (or desperate enough) to force Betts to play the wing as a FR, we are in serious trouble.

I think they'd have to spread that time between Hawkins, Christie, and Carrington plus hopefully add another wing - any wing.

This wing has been getting quite a few good offers lately. Freshman, though, not a transfer. Sounds like a late bloomer.

That SF spot is scary bad. If JOJ and Betts are the bulk of their minutes at the wing, we won't finish higher than 12th in conference.

Olo-Joseph averaged 4X as many TOs as assists last year. As underwhelming as Ramberg is as a potential wing, he averaged more assists per minutes and had a 1:1 A/TO. Olo-Joseph should not be playing wing.

If we are dumb enough (or desperate enough) to force Betts to play the wing as a FR, we are in serious trouble.

I think they'd have to spread that time between Hawkins, Christie, and Carrington plus hopefully add another wing - any wing.

They won’t finish higher than 14th with JOJ/Betts at the wing. JOJ was our starting center last year, but now he’s a 3??

This wing has been getting quite a few good offers lately. Freshman, though, not a transfer. Sounds like a late bloomer.

Three interesting things about this -

We’re not the only ones left with open scholarship at this point

Autocorrect hates the spelling of his first name

He goes to a school called Western Reserve Academy in Hudson, OH. Any intel on this?

Roster seems OK - Definitely would like another signing.

Put me in the "need to see wins to believe it" type camp at this point with this staff.

They won’t finish higher than 14th with JOJ/Betts at the wing. JOJ was our starting center last year, but now he’s a 3??
Admittedly we are thin at the 5. Still overloaded on 4 bodies. Otherwise we look pretty good. Best quality depth I recall.

Just because you can type doesn’t mean you’re knowledgeable. It does mean you are an interested party. JOJ will get his minutes somewhere. I’m interested to see his development from last year. Skill set often change.
They rarely change dramatically. Efficiencies change (develop) but skill sets almost never change.

There are some minor exceptions like Damien Johnson, but Johnson just got better. He was always a guy who got a lot of steals, blocks, could grab rebounds, etc. If you look at his profile as a player - things he does well vs. things he doesn't do well, they didn't change.

My original post states we could use a wing.

It’s not like JoJ is a good choice at the 3, he just happens to be the current best choice on the roster.

JoJ says,” We live in a world where I play where the coach tells me! Look at the roster. You want me on the wing, you need me on the wing, who’s going to man it? You, Ramburg! If you don’t like how I play the wing then pick up a basketball and stand opposed! In any case I don’t care what you think of whether I can play it or not!”

At least that’s what I heard he might of said if he had actually read your post.

BTW, watch how you say things, it looks like you suggest Hawkins can play the 3 at 5’11”. Rockraven may not realize your talking about the minutes and not how he is employed on the court.

They rarely change dramatically. Efficiencies change (develop) but skill sets almost never change.

There are some minor exceptions like Damien Johnson, but Johnson just got better. He was always a guy who got a lot of steals, blocks, could grab rebounds, etc. If you look at his profile as a player - things he does well vs. things he doesn't do well, they didn't change.
Not his freshman year-he got nothin. Then he made his big jump as a soph improving in every statistical category by a fair amount. This is what we need from JOJ, PP and BC as well as Betts.

When you look at efficiency stats from last year - it is amazing how poorly Battle, our highest usage guy was. We will have to replace those shots with efficient ones.

I think I'm officially done with reading comments from a person who claims to have knowledge, but mostly tries to call people stupid. While this poster may have some knowledge, (s)he lacks the necessary wisdom to apply it effectively. I have decided to once again employ that wonderful GopherHole tool: the "Ignore" button. Thanks, GopherHole!

I’m still hoping we get a wing.

There are good basketball players still in the portal.

In fact, how many of you would take a starting 5 of these uncommitted portal players over our guys?

PG: Caleb Love UNC
SG: Tyrin Lawerence Vandy
SF: Julian Phillips Virginia
PF: Grant Nelson NDSU
C: Aziz Bandaogo Utah St

All these guys are still out there.

I’m still hoping we get a wing.

There are good basketball players still in the portal.

In fact, how many of you would take a starting 5 of these uncommitted portal players over our guys?

PG: Caleb Love UNC
SG: Tyrin Lawerence Vandy
SF: Julian Phillips Virginia
PF: Grant Nelson NDSU
C: Aziz Bandaogo Utah St

All these guys are still out there.
We need depth at the 5. We need experience at the 3. We are well set otherwise. That’s only 40% of the team, but they could turn to be strengths for us.

I hope not. Just looking at that roster looks a little thin to me. One injury and it could be bad again. Just hope they can land someone competent as well.

My original post states we could use a wing.

It’s not like JoJ is a good choice at the 3, he just happens to be the current best choice on the roster.

JoJ says,” We live in a world where I play where the coach tells me! Look at the roster. You want me on the wing, you need me on the wing, who’s going to man it? You, Ramburg! If you don’t like how I play the wing then pick up a basketball and stand opposed! In any case I don’t care what you think of whether I can play it or not!”

At least that’s what I heard he might of said if he had actually read your post.

BTW, watch how you say things, it looks like you suggest Hawkins can play the 3 at 5’11”. Rockraven may not realize your talking about the minutes and not how he is employed on the court.
No, I wasn't ripping on your post, I was just making the point that we desperately need to add another wing.

For the vast majority of teams we will play, we should just run out a 3 guard lineup. We can call Hawkins the PG and Mitchell one of the two wings. If we want to call another a SF, it would be Carrington or Christie when they are in the game.

Rockraven doesn't realize anything except that he doesn't actually believe the things he pretends to believe on here.

Not his freshman year-he got nothin. Then he made his big jump as a soph improving in every statistical category by a fair amount. This is what we need from JOJ, PP and BC as well as Betts.

When you look at efficiency stats from last year - it is amazing how poorly Battle, our highest usage guy was. We will have to replace those shots with efficient ones.
I've said numerous times people can develop.

Damian Johnson was a stat-stuffing, poor shooting, undersized PF who was great on defense. He was a much worse version of that as a FR than he was as a SR, but he was the exact same kind of player. He shot about the same kind of shots throughout his career, almost identical FTA per game ( a jump after his FR season which I think is definitely likely with JOJ), a lot of blocks, a lot of steals. He was essentially a "do sh!t" junkyard dog type throughout his career but he went from one that struggled as a FR to one that was fantastic as a SR, but he was the same type of player.

Damian Johnson did not develop into a SF. He developed into a much better PF. In fact, one of the reasons for his success is that the staff stopped trying to play him at SF after we added Westbrook, Hoff and Nolen while Tollakson and Coleman graduated.

As for Battle, yeah, it's almost like we shouldn't have shoehorned a PF in it wing with a bunch of a couple FR wings in way over their head. Funny how that turned out. Also, Garcia had (by far) our highest usage rate, Battle's was pretty close to all of the rest of our starters. It was still way too high for him.

It's odd you all are so willing to do it again with JOJ and Betts.

I see RJ posted a new minutes projection yesterday and had 0 minutes for Fox. Doesn't mention him at all. That to me signals he is probably not playing much at all if any. We need to fill that roster spot. We are already wasting multiple scholarships, can't waste another.

And looks like 8 minutes for II. the crowd saying those 2 will be huge additions aren't looking great.

I've said numerous times people can develop.

Damian Johnson was a stat-stuffing, poor shooting, undersized PF who was great on defense. He was a much worse version of that as a FR than he was as a SR, but he was the exact same kind of player. He shot about the same kind of shots throughout his career, almost identical FTA per game ( a jump after his FR season which I think is definitely likely with JOJ), a lot of blocks, a lot of steals. He was essentially a "do sh!t" junkyard dog type throughout his career but he went from one that struggled as a FR to one that was fantastic as a SR, but he was the same type of player.

Damian Johnson did not develop into a SF. He developed into a much better PF. In fact, one of the reasons for his success is that the staff stopped trying to play him at SF after we added Westbrook, Hoff and Nolen while Tollakson and Coleman graduated.

As for Battle, yeah, it's almost like we shouldn't have shoehorned a PF in it wing with a bunch of a couple FR wings in way over their head. Funny how that turned out. Also, Garcia had (by far) our highest usage rate, Battle's was pretty close to all of the rest of our starters. It was still way too high for him.

It's odd you all are so willing to do it again with JOJ and Betts.
It was a poorly constructed roster full of young guys who were green and an older guy like Battle who didn't fit in well. It certainly appears that what we have coming for this year has better balance to it and the Battle of last year, how he played cannot realistically be considered a big loss. There is plenty of hope.

I think that the assumption here, which is fair is that Ben assembled a poor roster (he did) AND he doesn't know how to coach- if both are true- it's hopeless. I don't think that the second part of that is true although I am certain that he has a lot to learn and I am guessing he will be better this year at his craft.

I see RJ posted a new minutes projection yesterday and had 0 minutes for Fox. Doesn't mention him at all. That to me signals he is probably not playing much at all if any. We need to fill that roster spot. We are already wasting multiple scholarships, can't waste another.

And looks like 8 minutes for II. the crowd saying those 2 will be huge additions aren't looking great.

Gonna have no depth again. Basically 4 wasted scholarships if we get nothing out of II, Fox, Wilson and Ramberg. Gonna need a big leap from the upcoming Sophomores and Betts. Hope they're significantly better, because that's what its going to have to take.

Here is the link for those that want to read it themselves. Hedges a lot on Ihnen for obvious reasons but also leaves open the possibility of him seeing more time at a number of spots. Odd that Fox isn't mentioned, not a premium member so don't know if he elaborated on the Fox part in the comments on the story.

I think its because there has been no juice about his recovery. The staff has been mum which leads me to think that things may not be going well. So he is not a part of the equation at this point. Same with II although some think he will be ready to go.

I think its because there has been no juice about his recovery. The staff has been mum which leads me to think that things may not be going well. So he is not a part of the equation at this point. Same with II although some think he will be ready to go.
So the scholarships are burned? We get nothing back. Wonderful.

Top Bottom