Are we done with signings?

What expectations can you have for a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and it was D2. It wasn't like he was expected to be a stud before the injuries he was an intensity guy who was explosive. Now he is coming off 2 years of nothing and 2 surgeries. It's going to take him half a season (at least) just to get up to speed and in game shape most likely.

Hope for the best, but people around here are being way to optimistic. He is going to struggle big time when the games are important. In a perfect world he would be the end of the bench for half the year.
What expectations can we have? Well that could range from nothing to quite a bit.
What expectations do the coaches (whose jobs are on the line have) - that is the expectation I am interested in. They have not tried much to recruit at the spots Ihnen and Fox occupy. Does that mean anything? I don't know. But if I was coaching and my job was on a red hot seat, I'd be getting in some other guys if I didn't like what I am seeing.

What expectations can we have? Well that could range from nothing to quite a bit.
What expectations do the coaches (whose jobs are on the line have) - that is the expectation I am interested in. They have not tried much to recruit at the spots Ihnen and Fox occupy. Does that mean anything? I don't know. But if I was coaching and my job was on a red hot seat, I'd be getting in some other guys if I didn't like what I am seeing.
I will stand by the belief that if Fox and Ihnen thought they were not going to be able to play for the third consecutive year they would have medically retired. The fact that they haven't done that tells me they are going to be in the mix. How big a role they each play remains to be seen but seems pretty clear that the plan is for them to be part of the rotation.

Mitchell, Hawkins, Carrington, Christie, Betts, JOJ, Ihnen, Fox, Payne, and Garcia...that's 10 players likely to see the bulk of the minutes. Johnson doesn't really have much of anything to sell in terms of playing time right now so transfer recruits are highly unlikely to be banging down his door trying to get in here.

I get the worry that we will once again lose 2 guys to season ending injuries but there is only so much you can do to prepare for something like that before it happens.

And if Fox/Ihnen can't stay healthy, then we're down to 9. Wilson is a football player who doesn't deserve a scholarship, down to 8. Any additional injuries and we're down to 7, or 6, or 5. It's a good thing Carrington, Garcia, and Payne didn't have any injury issues last year.

In other words, we're right where we were the last two seasons.
5-15 here we come.

Regardless of what Ben and crew desire, it appears that signees are done with us.

What expectations can you have for a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and it was D2. It wasn't like he was expected to be a stud before the injuries he was an intensity guy who was explosive. Now he is coming off 2 years of nothing and 2 surgeries. It's going to take him half a season (at least) just to get up to speed and in game shape most likely.

Hope for the best, but people around here are being way to optimistic. He is going to struggle big time when the games are important. In a perfect world he would be the end of the bench for half the year.
Right- those are the expectations (or lack thereof) that Fox is trying to maintain haha (in the tweet at least).

Let me be optimistic! I'm not quite old enough to be completely jaded by life :ROFLMAO:

Regardless of what Ben and crew desire, it appears that signees are done with us.
maybe. about one third of the players in the portal have yet to sign - about 600. might be one or two CBJ is going after

I think you know what I was saying. It's hard to be objective and think Fox will bring much to the table. And if he can't the team is dangling by a thin thread.

We are playing a dangerous game...we need everything to break right or it could get super ugly.

I will stand by the belief that if Fox and Ihnen thought they were not going to be able to play for the third consecutive year they would have medically retired. The fact that they haven't done that tells me they are going to be in the mix. How big a role they each play remains to be seen but seems pretty clear that the plan is for them to be part of the rotation.

Mitchell, Hawkins, Carrington, Christie, Betts, JOJ, Ihnen, Fox, Payne, and Garcia...that's 10 players likely to see the bulk of the minutes. Johnson doesn't really have much of anything to sell in terms of playing time right now so transfer recruits are highly unlikely to be banging down his door trying to get in here.

I get the worry that we will once again lose 2 guys to season ending injuries but there is only so much you can do to prepare for something like that before it happens.

I don't think that is my worry, my worry is that rotation is not going to win much in the Big Ten.

Everyone needs everything to break right. There are going to be a lot of B1G teams at about the same level. The standings could be a real mess.

I think you know what I was saying. It's hard to be objective and think Fox will bring much to the table. And if he can't the team is dangling by a thin thread.

We are playing a dangerous game...we need everything to break right or it could get super ugly.
I would say that as a team our depth dangles by a thin thread if neither Ihnen or Fox can contribute.
Otherwise we are fine for depth at the moment and even better if we get a wing that is either a great defender or can score it.

I would say that as a team our depth dangles by a thin thread if neither Ihnen or Fox can contribute.
Otherwise we are fine for depth at the moment and even better if we get a wing that is either a great defender or can score it.
The keys to our depth more than numbers is that we have a lot of athleticism with length that are multi-positional. Most can play 2 or three positions well. And we have shooters this year. Real 3 point shooters. A radical change.

I think you are stretching but I pray I'm wrong brother :)

I don't think that is my worry, my worry is that rotation is not going to win much in the Big Ten.
It's a valid concern given how the past 2 years have gone. Hopefully the whole group stays healthy so that Ben has all the pieces at his disposal. Then it will be on him to make those pieces work together. If they don't and the team sucks again we are probably looking for a new coach after the season.

I think we could all use a dose of good news...cause the season is too far away so I can't put on my Maroon Shades yet ;)

5-15 here we come.
I think we could all use a dose of good news...cause the season is too far away so I can't put on my Maroon Shades yet ;)
It is about time for the monthly strib article. ‘Coach uses past lessons to better future.’ ‘In 2000, if you had asked young Ben Johnson…………’

E.There has to be a SF out there somewhere who would like a B1G scholarship.

Right?
Our need is a center, not a 3 or 4. We are strong there. But everyone is going to work Payne to foul out.

For those filled with fear and doubt, we’re looking at guard. Even 3 guard sets were good.

Last edited:

Our need is a center, not a 3 or 4. We are strong there. But everyone is going to work Payne to foul out.

For those filled with fear and doubt, we’re looking at guard. Even 3 guard sets were good.
We signed Will Jackson for backup center, I heard he's good for 10 quality minutes per game. Also no concerns with Parker Fox. Depending on who you ask, center may be our strongest position.

Right- those are the expectations (or lack thereof) that Fox is trying to maintain haha (in the tweet at least).

Let me be optimistic! I'm not quite old enough to be completely jaded by life :ROFLMAO:

Some were jaded whilst they were in short pants.

Top 40. Crazy...totally missed that hit song back in the day and don't feel today like it has done very well in the the test of time for me. Enjoyed the post tho

We’re fortunate to have lived in a time when bands had names like Sugarloaf and Gran Funk Railroad 🛤️

We’re fortunate to have lived in a time when bands had names like Sugarloaf and Gran Funk Railroad 🛤️
Hey, hadn't thought about this...are there even bands any more? Taylor Swift, Beyonce, to Bad Bunny...I dunno

Hey, hadn't thought about this...are there even bands any more? Taylor Swift, Beyonce, to Bad Bunny...I dunno

There are, but they have names like -

There are, but not my bag -

Top Bottom