Apparently, We Won the "Secret Scrimmage Today

DeathClutch

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't find any info quite yet from our side. Hopefully we get some info later on.

I'm secretly pleased. And we didn't play with Reggie, Dupree or Davonte who are limited, so I'm interested to see how the scoring was distributed.

I'm secretly pleased. And we didn't play with Reggie, Dupree or Davonte who are limited, so I'm interested to see how the scoring was distributed.

Reggie played. Not sure about the other two. Hopefully we get a full boxscore at some point.

Some interesting numbers, but I'm struck most by IW getting 11 with 4 assists in just 16 minutes, and, a troubling 4-20 behind the arc.

4-20 from the 3 pt line... At least there is room to improve!!

Some interesting numbers, but I'm struck most by IW getting 11 with 4 assists in just 16 minutes, and, a troubling 4-20 behind the arc.

I am stunned that Amir only took two shots!

Gaston didn't play a minute.

And Hurt played the least of the guys that did.

The rotation will probably be: Play Lynch, Murph and Amir as much as possible and mix Washington in for Nate and Dupree. The rest will be determined by foul trouble.

That's pretty much what they did minus Dupree. I imagine he will be in that 25-30 range as well

91 points with Amir only taking two shots and as a team only 4-20 from 3. That's pretty impressive. Room for improvement from 3, on defense and have to hope Amir will be a bit more aggressive but even in a scrimmage like this it's good to see a win. It's a bit of a Swanigan situation with Murph. If he's going to give you 20 and 10 i'm fine with him jacking up a couple 3s. He probably needs to take a couple jumpers anyway to keep defenders honest. Murphy can be such a force when he wants to be hopefully he can keep things rolling into the season. Good to see Reggie have a game like that on offense too. There's definitely some untapped potential there. A fairly solid line for Washington. Looks like he had a very productive and slightly trigger happy 16 minutes but that's what we need off the bench.

Other than that, it's good to see Nate play 30 minutes after talk of him being in a boot. I can't wait for the open intersquad scrimmage and the season.

No points for Fitzgerald, but 6 rebounds in 12 minutes. That's probably the production we'll need from him.

Amir with 2 FG attempts for 5 pts, 6 boards, 8 assists and 2 steals. I bet we'll see lots of games like this and a couple where he puts up 30.

I'm guessing Pitino gave players things to work on. Coffey was probably tasked with working on getting to lane and distributing (something that could really help this team consistently get high percentage looks). Murphy, and numerous others, were probably working on knocking down perimeter jumpers (a huge issue at times last year).

Winning probably wasn't the objective, but an inconsequential side-effect. I wouldn't think that the box score would mean much of anything in regards to how the offense will operate.

Gaston didn't play a minute.

And Hurt played the least of the guys that did.

Yes, for those wondering ---

Will Hurt make a significant contribution this year?

And

Will Gaston make any contribution at all?

The early evidence isn't promising.

No points for Fitzgerald, but 6 rebounds in 12 minutes. That's probably the production we'll need from him.

We'll need him to score better than that. You'll notice that both Murphy and Lynch had four fouls and Konate had five in a brief period of time. Fitzgerald will have to play significant minutes upfront just because of foul trouble. Agree that 6 rebounds in 12 minutes is encouraging.

The rotation will probably be: Play Lynch, Murph and Amir as much as possible and mix Washington in for Nate and Dupree. The rest will be determined by foul trouble.

Unfortunately the first two often find a way to limit their possible minutes.

No need to focus on Murphy taking 4 threes--he and Reggie were apparently beasts today. I don't mind if Murphy is taking threes if he puts up those numbers. I'm very happy with that result, especially considering the injuries lately.

According to Ken Pom Creighton is #45...so very decent competition.

What troubles me most about the box score is that we are troubled by the box scores. Its a fricking secret scrimmage folks (not directed at WindyCity, but the thread)! I'm just happy we won. Who cares how we shot the ball.. we should be rusty, as they should as well.

What troubles me most about the box score is that we are troubled by the box scores. Its a fricking secret scrimmage folks (not directed at WindyCity, but the thread)! I'm just happy we won. Who cares how we shot the ball.. we should be rusty, as they should as well.

We're armchair analysts. We have to analyze.

I agree with GopherNuts in that putting up 91 points with Amir only shooting twice (LOVE the 8 assists to 2 turnovers from Amir) and the team as a whole shooting 4-20 from 3 is a good sign. I'd also add that the team surprisingly had only 4 offensive rebounds and still put up those 91 points.

I'd caution people to not get too up or down on Davonte Fitzgerald over his performance yesterday. He's only at about the 1 year mark from his most recent ACL surgery. I'd expect him to still be very much working himself back in to the player he was both physically and mentally if this was his first ACL injury much less his second. The last time he was on the floor competing against another college program was in the NIT with Texas A&M on March 23, 2015. We are talking 2 1/2 years and another major surgery since he last played in this type of competitive setting. To go further, he had a rough year at A&M and often played less than 10 minutes a game during conference play as apparently he wasn't the same guy coming off his first injury.

I'd also think that Reggie and Dupree are still working themselves back (despite Reggie's tremendous stat line) given that they've been on contact limitations as recently as a few days ago.

I'll join the choir in saying that the Jordan Murphy 1-4 line from 3 jumped out at me as well. Unless there has been a MASSIVE improvement in his shooting, I just don't think using 4 possessions on Murphy 3 point attempts is going to be a winning formula. Of course, since nobody could watch this scrimmage he could have chucked up a half courter before halftime and then got caught with the ball in his hands in a late shot clock situation once or twice. Obviously that would look a lot different than taking 4 3's in the course of our regular offense. I also wonder if Murphy not grabbing a single offensive rebound is a sign that we are getting the Murph from early 2016-2017 who was much more perimeter oriented.

Yes, for those wondering ---

Will Hurt make a significant contribution this year?

And

Will Gaston make any contribution at all?

The early evidence isn't promising.

We'll, I wouldn't expect much from Hurt and nothing from Gas. A lot of programs would have shown Gaston the door by now.

From what we saw of Hurt last year and how he continued to be a timid non-factor this summer at the Pro-Am I'm not expecting any major jump from him. It would be great if he could get some confidence and pop some threes though.

Top Bottom