AP Top 25 Voting

Gopher024

Reaction score
I was just curious where the Gophers were getting votes from and how they ranked on some of the AP voters top 25. Here is the breakdown:

Steve Batterson - 22 (Quad City Times)
Tim Griffin - 25 (San Antonio Express - News)
Seth Emerson - 25 (The Macon (Ga))
Scott Wolf - 19 (Los Angeles Daily News)
Scott Nulph - 21 (Laramie Boomerang)
Rob Long - 23 (WJFK - 105.7)
Mike Herndon - 25 (Alabama Media Group)
Kirk Bohls - 24 (Austin American-Statesman)
John Silver - 23 (The Journal Inquirer, Conn)
Joey Knight - 25 (Tampa Bay Times)
Jay Binkley - 24 (610 Sports KCSP)
Iliana Limon - 19 (Orlando Sentinel)
Gary Smits - 22 (Florida Times-Union)
Doug Lesmerises - 19 (Cleveland.com)
Doug Doughty - 19 (Roanoke (VA) Times)
Donald Heath - 25 (Savannah (GA) News)
Brett McMurphy - 24 (ESPN)
Bob Asmussen - 25 (Champaign News Gazette (IL))
Adam Zucker - 24 (CBS Sports Network)

Nate Sandell - No Ranking (1500 ESPN Twin Cities)

Here's a link to the voting if you're ever interested.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/

local media sure didnt help on the AP pole. Nate Sandell wrote something about it today, but didnt have the Gophers in his top 25.

Minnesota holds a 6-1 record and sits in first place in the Big Ten West division at 3-0. The Gophers broke into the USA Today's Coaches poll Sunday at No. 24, but they fell three spots shy of cracking the Associated Press top-25 (57 points fewer than No. 25 UCLA).

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Sandell_Would_a_win_propel_Gophers_to_a_top25_ranking_in_AP_poll102114

There's no rule that says local media must vote for the team they cover. I think the Gophers are legit, but I can see why Sandell didn't vote for 'em. Gophers' best win to date? Michigan? Northwestern? This season it just so happens that where the Gophers can really, really prove themselves is at the end of the season.

Sandell tweeted something about how they were in consideration for #25 but just missed the cut. I'm sure an impressive win over Illinois this weekend would lead him to throw us a vote.

One thing that is kind of interesting... not one of the reports that I could find has NDSU in their top 25, yet they somehow received 3 votes?

One thing that is kind of interesting... not one of the reports that I could find has NDSU in their top 25, yet they somehow received 3 votes?

+1
I also checked for NDSU voters, and I failed to find any.

I have been operating under the assumption that there has been one nutjob putting them at 23, I can't imagine three different voters ranking them.

http://collegepolltracker.com is a better link if you want to find out who voted for whom. NDSU had 2 voters: Scott Wolf at 24 and Bill Rabinowitz at 25.

Main thing that stands out to me upon looking at the AP Poll voter breakdown is that only 19 of 60 had the Gophers ranked. Minnesota hauled in 61 points in the poll, but I would much rather have it be 40 25th place votes and 10 24th place votes than have 4 writers who ranked the Gophers at # 19 and 19 voters total (which is what happened).

Only 1/3 national writers see the Gophers as a Top 25 team, which leads me to believe that we will need to knock off both Illinois AND Iowa before gaining much national traction.

I have been operating under the assumption that there has been one nutjob putting them at 23, I can't imagine three different voters ranking them.

I'm sure some voters saw NDSU destroy Iowa State, the week before Kansas State #11, snuck past Iowa State with a last minute TD, and a couple weeks before Iowa State beat Iowa. I'm sure NDSU would be glad to meet MN on the field someday soon. Sagarin ratings favor NDSU in that matchup if it was played this week.

I'm sure some voters saw NDSU destroy Iowa State, the week before Kansas State #11, snuck past Iowa State with a last minute TD, and a couple weeks before Iowa State beat Iowa. I'm sure NDSU would be glad to meet MN on the field someday soon. Sagarin ratings favor NDSU in that matchup if it was played this week.

Your Transitive Property Sagarin National Champions: NDSU!!!

The main thing is, NDSU got more votes than Wisky. :drink::drink::drink:

Hanging your hat on a win against an Iowa State team that is at 0-4 in the Big 12?

Not sure what is weirder, people tweeting at Nate Sandell to justify how he hasn't ranked the gophers yet, or people who hate on NDSU's cred. That they are even considered a tweener is amazing given the 8 ball they sit behind with schollies and recruiting. It's a good story, and AP voters don't care if they have obnoxious trolls for fans. Every school does believe it or not.

You guys were better three years ago and beat a Gopher team that lost to NMSU by 14 (7 if you don't count the desperation pick six).

I'd love to play you again, why don't you move on up to big boy ball so we can?

Hanging your hat on a win against an Iowa State team that is at 0-4 in the Big 12?

A win NO, how you win, Yes. 3 TDs on the road, same as Baylor. Didn't Iowa State beat the same Iowa team that is challenging for the B1G West?

A win NO, how you win, Yes. 3 TDs on the road, same as Baylor. Didn't Iowa State beat the same Iowa team that is challenging for the B1G West?

"Challenging"

Confirmed. NDSU better than TCU by beating ISU by the same amount Baylor did. A Baylor team that beat TCU. Therefore, NDSU would beat the Gophers by 3 Touchdowns and beat Michigan by 50 but would only beat Purdue by a field goal.

Do you see how that doesn't work?

Too bad Minnesota is interested in playing real schools instead. You've seen the last MN v NDSU game for 50 years. Be happy your team beat some pretty awful MN teams. Be happy your team is dominating its division. MN is not interested in small fish anymore. Sorry.

They did, that particular rivalry game is notorious for upsets which look odd by season's end, but no Iowa won't be challenging for the Big Ten West this year.

Too bad Minnesota is interested in playing real schools instead. You've seen the last MN v NDSU game for 50 years. Be happy your team beat some pretty awful MN teams. Be happy your team is dominating its division. MN is not interested in small fish anymore. Sorry.

Like E Illinois? Let's not get carried away. NDSU is a real team by our current standard, it's just dumb to throw them a bone by playing them.

You guys were better three years ago and beat a Gopher team that lost to NMSU by 14 (7 if you don't count the desperation pick six).

I'd love to play you again, why don't you move on up to big boy ball so we can?

It would be a good game, with MN having the advantage at home. MN and NDSU are both run first tough pound it teams, so I love the style vs. most of college FB. Love watching Cobb run, what a great back . . . Crockett not bad either. Best team at Ndsu was 2013, by far.

How relevant is a poll that includes voting by the esteemed correspondent from the Laramie Boomerang? Seriously - if anyone knows - what is the criteria to be a voter in the AP poll?

"Challenging"

Confirmed. NDSU better than TCU by beating ISU by the same amount Baylor did. A Baylor team that beat TCU. Therefore, NDSU would beat the Gophers by 3 Touchdowns and beat Michigan by 50 but would only beat Purdue by a field goal.

Do you see how that doesn't work?

No, I'm not using the transitive property, I agree it doesn't work. Just telling you why they are receiving votes. 31 in row and gameday is the other reason. Voters looks at the transitive property however, for example the NW win was big for MN because NW beat WI.

No, I'm not using the transitive property, I agree it doesn't work. Just telling you why they are receiving votes. 31 in row and gameday is the other reason. Voters looks at the transitive property however, for example the NW win was big for MN because NW beat WI.

Voters trying to be edgy is why they are receiving votes, not because of a win over Incarnate Word.

Voters trying to be edgy is why they are receiving votes, not because of a win over Incarnate Word.

SOS is one factor in the Sagarin, with the others being 1) W/L 2) Home/Road 3) Margin of Victory 4) Opponent Success. It is debatible what would be better for your rating, 42-20 vs. Eastern IL or 58-0 vs. Incarnate Word.

SOS is one factor in the Sagarin, with the others being 1) W/L 2) Home/Road 3) Margin of Victory 4) Opponent Success. It is debatible what would be better for your rating, 42-20 vs. Eastern IL or 58-0 vs. Incarnate Word.

Any ranking algorithms have trouble placing outliers like NDSU. What we know is that they have a bad SOS yet are undefeated, so it's hard to determine how high they should actually be in the rankings. They have a large variance. I could see them getting placed top 20 in one algorithm and 60+ in another depending on how much weight the algorithm puts on SOS. Sagarin's doesn't do very well as far as predictability until near the end of the season, so it will be interesting to see where they land when all is said and done.

Sagarin ratings also think Texas A&M is the 16th best team in the country. They also rank Auburn pretty comfortably ahead of Mississippi State. And Oklahoma ahead of both TCU and KSU. Also, don't forget that Florida is near the Top 25, and VaTech is #35. South Carolina is #33, while Kentucky is #51. And don't forget about Rutgers down there at #81.

Sagarin ratings are a sham until the very end of the year, and they're the crutch of teams who are "good on paper."

Top Bottom