AP Top 25 Voting

Sagarin ratings also think Texas A&M is the 16th best team in the country. They also rank Auburn pretty comfortably ahead of Mississippi State. And Oklahoma ahead of both TCU and KSU. Also, don't forget that Florida is near the Top 25, and VaTech is #35. South Carolina is #33, while Kentucky is #51. And don't forget about Rutgers down there at #81.

Sagarin ratings are a sham until the very end of the year, and they're the crutch of teams who are "good on paper."

I have trouble with any model that uses margin of victory. The mark of a good team shouldn't be who can run up the score better against Youngstown State, but rather who does a better job of actually coming out ahead of good competition.

I have trouble with any model that uses margin of victory. The mark of a good team shouldn't be who can run up the score better against Youngstown State, but rather who does a better job of actually coming out ahead of good competition.

Except margin of victory, while irrelevant in the standings, is useful to a degree in predicting the future. For instance, I'd feel better about the future prospects of a team which beat Purdue 35-3 than the prospects of a team which beat Purdue by 1. However, had that dominant team won by an even larger margin it gets to piling on and is less useful in predicting their outcomes.

Your Transitive Property Sagarin National Champions: NDSU!!!

Don't knock the transitive property. My wife is telling her friends that are Wisconsin fans that we already beat Wisconsin because we beat Northwestern who beat them. That means we have a chance to beat them twice this year!! :)

You obviously have a strong statistical backgroud. I'll go with the Sagarin algorithms vs. "coming out ahead of good competition".

Don't knock the transitive property. My wife is telling her friends that are Wisconsin fans that we already beat Wisconsin because we beat Northwestern who beat them. That means we have a chance to beat them twice this year!! :)

Your wife can get away with a lot more than I can on this board. She should run with the transitive property, especially when Wisconsin is involved.

Your wife can get away with a lot more than I can on this board. She should run with the transitive property, especially when Wisconsin is involved.

That's because you are a troll pure and simple.

It's an impossible argument. NDSU fans are going to say they are really that good while we're going to say they're not. When you play one FBS game a year and most of the time that team is pretty bad, there is no way to really know how good they are compared to us or other FBS programs. I think they can play with a lot of teams but going through an entire season schedule against FBS teams is completely different.

I'm not really sure who in the top 25 Minnesota clearly has a better track record than. There's obviously room for opinion and some schools are relying on brand name, but there really isn't any ranked team that doesn't have at least one nice win. Unfortunately, the Michigan win doesn't mean much this year.

UCLA blew out Arizona State.
LSU beat Wisconsin.
Marshall hasn't beaten anyone of note, but they're undefeated.
West Virginia has 2 L's, but they beat Baylor and Maryland.
Clemson beat Louisville.
USC beat Stanford and Arizona.
Utah's got the same Michigan win as well as a road win against UCLA
East Carolina's wins over VA Tech and North Carolina don't look so great anymore, but they've been up there for a while.
Oklahoma is Oklahoma and still has a win over WVU
Nebraska is Nebraska and still has a win over Miami
ARizona won @Oregon
ASU already won @USC and beat Stanford
and so on

I think Minnesota is about right. Can't clearly say anyone above them has really done less. Minny needs a big win to get the credit they probably deserve.

SOS is one factor in the Sagarin, with the others being 1) W/L 2) Home/Road 3) Margin of Victory 4) Opponent Success. It is debatible what would be better for your rating, 42-20 vs. Eastern IL or 58-0 vs. Incarnate Word.

Only NDSU fans care about Sagarin rankings.

NDSU sucks. Watch their fan base run away when they become mediocre again.

You obviously have a strong statistical backgroud. I'll go with the Sagarin algorithms vs. "coming out ahead of good competition".

I would too if my team always lacked wins against good competition (that one K State game being the exception). If you think running up the score against an 0-4 Big 12 team is what defines a good football team, congrats on another strong season.

I would too if my team always lacked wins against good competition (that one K State game being the exception). If you think running up the score against an 0-4 Big 12 team is what defines a good football team, congrats on another strong season.

But they beat them by the same amount Baylor did!!1!!111

I don't watch Division II football. Plus, I probably don't get the Public TV channel it's broadcast on.

Top Bottom