Any word on a pwo/wo Punter?

popeyoung5

Reaction score
Field position is a big deal. It was painful to watch the inconsistent punting. I hope JK has a solid pwo/wo punter. Heck, hold open tryouts for the students. The net punting average fbs rank must be really low.

If I remember right, Orseske's average wasn't actually that bad.

Orseske led the nation (or close to it) in punting after 2 or 3 games last season - just had some rough games/bad punts at crucial times that were hard to forget.

He averaged 37.0. I don't know how that stacks up, I just remember the eye ball test was painful. IDK, maybe the punting is fine.

Net 34 yards per punt (105th in the country) is really really bad. Orseske may have a big leg when he gets it right, but when he doesn't get it right as often as he gets it wrong, something is off.

If he was consistently punting 37.0 it would like fine. The fact that it would be like 50 yarder, 38 yarder, 23 yarder is what pisses people off. (example, made up numbers that averaged out to 37)

If he was consistently punting 37.0 it would like fine. The fact that it would be like 50 yarder, 38 yarder, 23 yarder is what pisses people off. (example, made up numbers that averaged out to 37)

he did have a 4 yard punt in which he himself downed it. that's bad, right?

he did have a 4 yard punt in which he himself downed it. that's bad, right?
Yes, but at least he didn't hit his lineman in the back. And if I remember right that punt took a REALLY bad bounce.

yup we rs mortell last year, and if it was nessacary maxx can boot the ball...

Can't believe we have Orseske apologists on the board. I've never actually heard anyone seriously justify a 4 yd punt until today.

just had some rough games/bad punts at crucial times that were hard to forget.

Good punts when they don't matter and bad punts when they need to be good. That's a good strategy for losing games.

Can't believe we have Orseske apologists on the board. I've never actually heard anyone seriously justify a 4 yd punt until today.
The kid has a fabulous leg and some kind of mental block that is amazing. Once he makes a bad kick, he is done. In MV's terms, he must have about the widest standard deviation in punting results in college football, and I don't mean just D1. If he was averaging 40, it would still not make up for the fact that he can easily give you 14 when 34 would win the game with 30 seconds left.

Word said:
Orseske led the nation (or close to it) in punting after 2 or 3 games last season - just had some rough games/bad punts at crucial times that were hard to forget.

He started out hot against USC but ended the season with a few really bad punts. He did punt in a couple really windy games at TCF - The 4 yard punt was one of those. BUT more then a few at the end of the year went off the side of his foot.

Pete Mortell can get it done...
We'll see if he gets some PT this fall.

Sandy Stephens once had a negative yardage punt into a stiff wind. If I recall correctly it was against Wisconsin in Madison in 1962. It can happen, but shouldn't. After watching LSU's punter this year I'm certainly not not inclined to be an Orseske apologist.

Well I must just be an apologist in general. I have now been labeled a Brewster apologist, Maturi apologist, Tubby apologist, and Orseske apologist.

Not applying to be Orseske (or Kill) apologist, but Brewster had Orseske kicking rugby style in 2010. The change to conventional in 2011 could probably mess with any kicker's head. I have confidence that Kill will either straighten him out and take advantage of his powerful leg - or bring in Mortell or someone who can kick well enough to satisfy the man who has always stressed the importance of special teams and their effect on field position.

Not applying to be Orseske (or Kill) apologist, but Brewster had Orseske kicking rugby style in 2010. The change to conventional in 2011 could probably mess with any kicker's head. I have confidence that Kill will either straighten him out and take advantage of his powerful leg - or bring in Mortell or someone who can kick well enough to satisfy the man who has always stressed the importance of special teams and their effect on field position.

+1 Thank for actually making a comment that actually lays out what will most like will occur to resolve this issue. Even so, it won't resolve it for some posters here until Orseske is tarred and feathered.

The kid has a fabulous leg and some kind of mental block that is amazing. Once he makes a bad kick, he is done. In MV's terms, he must have about the widest standard deviation in punting results in college football, and I don't mean just D1. If he was averaging 40, it would still not make up for the fact that he can easily give you 14 when 34 would win the game with 30 seconds left.

That's my impression as well. It's kind of like the example of Bill Gates going to a soup kitchen. If you take the mean income, everyone is a multi-millionaire. If you take the median, all but one are paupers.

Orseske has a great leg, but his mechanics are so inconsistent, especially his situational kicks.

Good punts when they don't matter and bad punts when they need to be good. That's a good strategy for losing games.

The first three games of the season didn't matter?

Orseske has the talent as we've seen it but if he can't be more consistent, then we have to try someone else.

If Kill didn't believe in Orseske, he would not have been kicking. It is obvious that he was our best option. Kicking is about 75% psychological and 25% technique. Whether it's Dan, Peter Mortell, or Option 3, our kicking game will improve. In through the nose, out through the mouth.

I'll never forget when I was in PeeWee football in 6th grade and we had a negative punt. A stiff wind on a field next to the river and a rubber Tachikara football was a recipe for disaster. The ball went up, the wind grabbed it like a kite and it ended up 10 yards behind the punter. Probably should have gone for it.

I'll never forget when I was in PeeWee football in 6th grade and we had a negative punt. A stiff wind on a field next to the river and a rubber Tachikara football was a recipe for disaster. The ball went up, the wind grabbed it like a kite and it ended up 10 yards behind the punter. Probably should have gone for it.

Off sport, but I was at a Minnesota Kicks game at the old Met Stadium. The soccer field ran from the third base line to right-center field. During a rainstorm with high winds, the Kicks goalkeeper was taking a free kick from in front of his goal. The kick peaked about 30 yards down field and then blew complete backward out of the field and landed about 10-15 rows in the stands behind the goal. We had a good laugh.

Well I must just be an apologist in general. I have now been labeled a Brewster apologist, Maturi apologist, Tubby apologist, and Orseske apologist.

It's a lonely life in the Apologists Club.

What? Never a Weber apologist?

By the way--it doesn't get worse than this...

Top Bottom