Any shot at Rose Bowl?

If Wisconsin loses by >20 I think there's a 10% shot. The Gophers are the most compelling story of the 3 teams, and will probably bring at least as many fans as Wis or PSU and possibly more.

If Wisconsin loses by >20 I think there's a 10% shot. The Gophers are the most compelling story of the 3 teams, and will probably bring at least as many fans as Wis or PSU and possibly more.

The Gophers are college football's shiny new plaything.

The teams realistically in contention are (I'm assuming tOSU gets playoffs either way):

PSU
Wisconsin
Minnesota

PSU may well get either an Orange or Cotton Bowl berth. If that happens, I would suspect Wisconsin would still go. However, it is the Rose Bowl's prerogative to pick the "next best B1G team", so they could choose MN. That said, typically they've gone with the CFP rankings, which will not favor MN.

The best chance would be enough bizarre things happening this weekend that WI ends up in the CFP (beat tOSU and whomever else loses), tOSU also ends up in the CFP, PSU gets a berth to the Orange or Cotton, then MN would be the obvious choice. I'm not sure there are really any scenarios where that could happen, but maybe?

The second best chance is it comes out that Johnathon Taylor Thomas (or other WI starter) was ineligible and MN becomes West Champ. :)

"Hello Mark, spoke with Sandy and Barry and they are thinking that for the good of the conference and our exposure in general that Minnesota would be a great choice for the Rose Bowl this year. Sandy would like to stay east and Barry feels that their fan base would like a new experience for their bowl. We feel Minnesota would bring an incredible attendance number and really boost viewership nation wide with your coach being so well known and popular." "I will be talking to the committee and the media about this soon, regards....Kevin"

The best chance would be enough bizarre things happening this weekend that WI ends up in the CFP (beat tOSU and whomever else loses), tOSU also ends up in the CFP, PSU gets a berth to the Orange or Cotton, then MN would be the obvious choice. I'm not sure there are really any scenarios where that could happen, but maybe?

• WI beats OSU.
  • Clemson loses to Virginia (still may not be enough for WI, but could make an argument that WI has better resume than Clemson in terms of wins. Still think Clemson would be chosen over WI if it's between those two if this happened though.)
  • LSU beats Georgia
  • Oregon beats Utah
  • Big XII probably doesn't matter as much, but WI would probably prefer Baylor beat Oklahoma as they could argue better wins.
That could be the only scenario I could see that happening, and still don't think it would be enough. But it would be mass chaos. The only sure thing in that scenario would be LSU. I think both LSU & OSU are locks, but a loss opens the door ever so slightly.

Low probability of happening, but that's what Tuesday's on message boards are for: playing the what-if game....

The teams realistically in contention are (I'm assuming tOSU gets playoffs either way):

PSU
Wisconsin
Minnesota

PSU may well get either an Orange or Cotton Bowl berth. If that happens, I would suspect Wisconsin would still go. However, it is the Rose Bowl's prerogative to pick the "next best B1G team", so they could choose MN. That said, typically they've gone with the CFP rankings, which will not favor MN.

The second best chance is it comes out that Johnathon Taylor Thomas (or other WI starter) was ineligible and MN becomes West Champ. :)

There is a 0.0% chance of wisconsin ending up in the CFP.

"Hello Mark, spoke with Sandy and Barry and they are thinking that for the good of the conference and our exposure in general that Minnesota would be a great choice for the Rose Bowl this year. Sandy would like to stay east and Barry feels that their fan base would like a new experience for their bowl. We feel Minnesota would bring an incredible attendance number and really boost viewership nation wide with your coach being so well known and popular." "I will be talking to the committee and the media about this soon, regards....Kevin"
This "PSU would like to stay east" thing you keep pushing is a made-up bit, right? You don't actually believe that, do you?

I think this has been covered elsewhere. The guidelines say that if the B1G Champion is in the CFP playoffs, the "next-highest rated team" goes to the Rose Bowl. But, there is an exception. If several teams are very close to each other in the final ratings, it gives the B1G some wiggle room to choose the "best" candidate. In that scenario, I suppose it's possible they could decide to take MN because it's been so long since their last appearance.

I would put the odds of that happening at 5% or less.

There is no scenario in which Wisconsin makes the CFP, IMO. The Gophers chance at the Rose is that the Rose and Orange work something out and Wiscy/PSU go to the Orange and the Rose takes us.

Ain't happening folks. Wish it could, but it just won't.

We are third on the list of Wisky, PSU and Us. Win one of Iowa and Wisconsin and it would have been a shoe in. Too bad, but we will get Outback and next year is a new season. We still have Tanner Morgan. The guy is a winner and straw that stirs the drink. He WILL get us to a Rose Bowl before he graduates. Book it.

The guidelines say that if the B1G Champion is in the CFP playoffs, the "next-highest rated team" goes to the Rose Bowl.
The guidelines actually don't say that at all. Here is what they actually say:

1. When not hosting a CFP national semifinal, the Big Ten Champion will play in the Rose Bowl Game, unless it is among the top four teams.
2. If Big Ten Champion is selected to play in a national semifinal, then the Rose Bowl will select a Big Ten replacement team for the 2020 Rose Bowl.

(Per: https://bigten.org/documents/2019/10/7//2019_Bowl_Determination_Procedures.pdf?id=6568)

If the Big Ten Champion is in a national semifinal, which will almost certainly be the case with OSU this year, the Rose Bowl can literally pick any bowl-eligible Big Ten team that they want.

However:

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

It should be noted that it is the strong preference of the Tournament of Roses, Pac-12 and Big Ten Conferences, that the highest-ranked available team in each conference be selected as the replacement team.

(Per: https://tournamentofroses.com/rose-bowl-game-presented-by-northwestern-mutual-selection-procedures/)

Don't you have to win something to be a Cinderella story?

I can't see how there would be any way possible -- even if somehow both Wisc and Ohio St were in the CFP -- that Penn St would be in the Orange and Minnesota in the Rose, given the all but absolute certainty that Penn St will be ranked higher than us in the final CFP rankings.

It would somehow require Penn St, the Big Ten, the Rose, and the Orange to all come to a mutual agreement that it would be better for all parties to have Penn St in the Orange rather than the Rose. I don't see why that would be a thing.

The Rose may secretly desire someone else, but if Penn St is the next highest ranked team after whichever Big Ten team goes to the CFP, then I think it wants to play in the Rose.

This new low ranking should dash any hope of a Rose bowl.

We're still in a cluster -- it just ain't the Rose Bowl cluster.

Sadface.

"If OSU blows out the Badgers, there is a legitimate chance we go to the Rose Bowl." This is the info I got from someone with very, very close ties to the football team/athletic department. (Granted, this was before the CFP rankings came out at #18). Also said that the Rose Bowl committee loves MN right now. They love the stories of Fleck, Casey O'Brien, etc. They know that the Gophers will travel as well or better than anyone else. People that are saying there is no chance are mistaken. Is it likely? No. But there is a decent chance, especially if OSU crushes the badgers.

Iowa is ranked ahead of Minnesota. One could argue Iowa is more likely to go to the Rose Bowl than the Gophers.

"If OSU blows out the Badgers, there is a legitimate chance we go to the Rose Bowl." This is the info I got from someone with very, very close ties to the football team/athletic department. (Granted, this was before the CFP rankings came out at #18). Also said that the Rose Bowl committee loves MN right now. They love the stories of Fleck, Casey O'Brien, etc. They know that the Gophers will travel as well or better than anyone else. People that are saying there is no chance are mistaken. Is it likely? No. But there is a decent chance, especially if OSU crushes the badgers.

Now you are talking!

This was before the rankings came out. Also, how good have your sources been in the past on stuff like this?

No way they are selecting the gophers over four other Big Ten Teams ranked higher. 0%

Well, then there are five Cinderellas in the Big Ten. Will all five go to the Rose Bowl?
This was before the rankings came out. Also, how good have your sources been in the past on stuff like this?
badgers? Cheese-whiz eaters? If they pay their taxes to the state of Minnesota, they really don’t get in the way too often, I guess. Live and let live...

We've never been in rose bowl consideration, so I can't say how accurate my source is. :)

My source is a new relationship that I haven't had in the past. I asked which Florida based bowl the gophers were going to end up at and was stopped short of that being a lock with the Rose Bowl still being in consideration. All I know is what I was told, and that is the Rose Bowl committee loved the gophers, loved the atmosphere at the Axe game, and knows that our fanbase will travel if we are selected. We are a national story this year, and TV is eating it up. This comes from inside the athletic department.

Again, this was before the rankings, but I don't know if the CFP ranking of 18 excludes us from the rose bowl. Is the Rose Bowl unlikely? Yes, but still possible.

If the Rose skips over 4-5 other B1G teams to take the Gophers I will immediatly go buy a lottery ticket because that's some lucky as all hell stuff right there.

So we are just going to accept that we are honestly worse than Memphis?

[/QUOTE

Re: the quest for the Rose Bowl. Never give up. Never give in. And: never let the ba$tards get you down while you wait!

Top Bottom