Any shot at Rose Bowl?

I would say almost zero, at this point.

We're going to be behind Penn St in the next CFP rankings (released tomorrow). After Wisc gets beatdown by Ohio State, I have a feeling that OSU will be #1 and Penn St will be the next highest ranked Big Ten team. And that will probably send them to the Rose.

They lost by 5 on the road in Minneapolis, and by 11 on the road in Columbus. They're very deserving.

Possible but unlikely.

WI has been there 3 times in 7 years I believe and lost them all. (Automatic if they win)
PSU was there two years ago.
MN would be most excited, but not sure the B1G/Rose Bowl would want to set the precedence.

Also did people know that the last time the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl it was due to tOSU turning down the invitation?

There is a Bowl thread already going...Mods please move to that thread.

Actually there is a small chance. Lots of politics and attention to attendance and TV ratings. Wisconsin holds the key to that. Penn State will want to stay south and east plus they were just there year before last., Alvarez will be on the phone looking for a higher profile opponent and a "new" place to go. Minnesota has been absent for 58 years and will bring a huge crowd with great TV ratings. The bowls negotiate this stuff all week. Next year the Rose bowl is a semi final.

Actually there is a small chance. Lots of politics and attention to attendance and TV ratings. Wisconsin holds the key to that. Penn State will want to stay south and east plus they were just there year before last., Alvarez will be on the phone looking for a higher profile opponent and a "new" place to go. Minnesota has been absent for 58 years and will bring a huge crowd with great TV ratings. The bowls negotiate this stuff all week. Next year the Rose bowl is a semi final.
I wish this had more than a 0.001% chance at coming through. I just think at the end of the day, the conference will want the Rose to take the 2nd highest ranked team, and the Rose will be just fine with that.

Not a chance. We only had one impressive win this year. Though it was a big one vs Penn State.

BADgers have to get blown out by OSU, and they they'd have to pick us over PSU. Both are possible.

I'd say there's a very slim chance and it would require a BIG blowout of Wisconsin next weekend. We really don't deserve the Rose Bowl at this point. I'd still love to go, but both Wisconsin and Penn State are more deserving than we are.

I don't think there is any shot. Wisconsin will get blown out, that I am not worried about. The problem is Penn State didn't get blown out and their losses were to us in a close game and Ohio State in a close game. It would be a minor miracle for the Rose to select the Gophers. Too bad, was really looking forward to it.

I'd say there's a very slim chance and it would require a BIG blowout of Wisconsin next weekend. We really don't deserve the Rose Bowl at this point. I'd still love to go, but both Wisconsin and Penn State are more deserving than we are.

How in Penn St more deserving? We beat them head to head, we tied for our half's championship and we have the same record. Yes, they are ranked higher, yes they played a tougher schedule. But that makes it look even to me.

Possible but unlikely.

WI has been there 3 times in 7 years I believe and lost them all. (Automatic if they win)
PSU was there two years ago.
MN would be most excited, but not sure the B1G/Rose Bowl would want to set the precedence.

Also did people know that the last time the Gophers went to the Rose Bowl it was due to tOSU turning down the invitation?

The reasoning was that they wanted the players to focus on academics. Now that is funny.

It’s not like it’s impossible. Our case is pretty solid depending who gets to argue. If the Rose Bowl prefers Minnesota it’s not that hard to justify...2 versus 3 losses...beat Penn St and Penn St would prefer an east coast game.
✅ Done

It ain't gonna happen...but yes, it would be cool, and yes there's a small chance (I put it at 1% in another thread...but I obviously have zero insider info).

I believe Minnesota is this year's "cinderella story" if there is one. We haven't been to the Rose Bowl since 1962. We are the ultimate "underdog" and have captured peoples' hearts. Casey O'Brien is an inspiration to anyone with a conscience. The Game Day turnout and enthusiasm was impressive on a wintery morning. P.J. Fleck is a young, successful coach with the type of charisma that any Bowl committee can showcase. I don't discount the chances of a Rose Bowl invitation compared to a Penn St. team that lost to us, Iowa with 3 losses, and Wisconsin with 2 losses and possibly a loser to Ohio St. in blowout fashion. We are a fresh story for the TV viewership. I am more optimistic than the consensus on this board.

If it WERE to be awarded to Minnesota, many on GH would demand an asterix *.

You guys are cute. Book your Florida tickets and enjoy the sunshine.

Beating Iowa would have been the ticket.

I believe Minnesota is this year's "cinderella story" if there is one. We haven't been to the Rose Bowl since 1962. We are the ultimate "underdog" and have captured peoples' hearts. Casey O'Brien is an inspiration to anyone with a conscience. The Game Day turnout and enthusiasm was impressive on a wintery morning. P.J. Fleck is a young, successful coach with the type of charisma that any Bowl committee can showcase. I don't discount the chances of a Rose Bowl invitation compared to a Penn St. team that lost to us, Iowa with 3 losses, and Wisconsin with 2 losses and possibly a loser to Ohio St. in blowout fashion. We are a fresh story for the TV viewership. I am more optimistic than the consensus on this board.
Agree, it's a slim chance, but still possible. We did beat PSU, so it's not too much of a stretch to pick us over them. OSU of course needs to blow out the BADgers.

Good points! Now you have got me thinking...why not us? Why not now?

Break out the heavy hitters! Get Director Coyle and Coach Fleck on the horn with the Rose Bowl Selection Committee and have them sell Minnesota to P-town for the Parade of Roses and the big game. Minnesota will bring the state! Go on the hook for 30,000 tickets! Promise them the moon and stars. Give 'em so much Minnesota nice that they will want a piece of the GOPHER for their event.

Director Coyle and Coach Fleck need to recruit this hard to find invitation. Don't sit back and passively wait for an invitation. ROW THE BOAT to the Rose Bowl...and SHOW 'em all the oars we have. PSU wants Florida. They like to shoot down south rather than head way out west, across the great divide. (They really don't like to think of water going to the Pacific rather than the Atlantic...East coast bias, you know...) Invite them to the Orange Bowl this year! Wisky farmers are going broke on their beans, and their government payments (subsidies) don't go very far. Besides that, they have been there a bunch of times in the past dozen and a half years. They should save their bean money for the Super Bowl trip to root Aaron and the Pack on.

I like it! Get it done!!!

Last edited:

There is one thing in the Gopher's favor:

Ratings. Some of the highest rated games on ESPN/ABC involved the Gophers. They kind of know that Fleck is a great personality and sells the Gophers very well to a national audience.

Count me in the group that thinks we shouldn't be there unless we win the big ten, or at least the west division.

Top Bottom