Antoine Winfield Jr. fined by the NFL for mocking Tyreek Hill's peace sign in Super Bowl LV

I've heard lots of stories about the "good old days" of football where all kinds of nasty stuff happened after guys were tackled (grabbing nuts, eye gouges, punching, etc.). Maybe now since you can't get away with that kind of stuff because everything's on TV (with 30 different camera angles in HD), there's more trash talking. But something tells me there was plenty of trash talking going on in the "good old days", they just did a better job of making it not very visible.

Yeah agree, it’s mostly the showboat part of it that turns me off. I guess it’s a POV thing, some people like that, some don’t. Fair enough.

The taunting makes it more enjoyable to watch to me.

I agree. I don't think pro sports should be a sanctified expression of all that is right and wrong in the world. I think it's mostly entertainment and like pro wrestling the little dramas make it more interesting.

It's the Super Bowl. The NFL had to exhibit proper behavior when close to 100 million pairs of eyes are watching.

They gave a woman beater a pass during the regular season because he is a super star that rakes in butts in seats.

The NFL wanted KC back in the Super Bowl. They are willing to wink. Not for long if public outcry becomes louder.

If it was lesser stars the likes Rasheed Hageman or the Seahawks lineman, they'd throw in the books on them.

I've heard lots of stories about the "good old days" of football where all kinds of nasty stuff happened after guys were tackled (grabbing nuts, eye gouges, punching, etc.). Maybe now since you can't get away with that kind of stuff because everything's on TV (with 30 different camera angles in HD), there's more trash talking. But something tells me there was plenty of trash talking going on in the "good old days", they just did a better job of making it not very visible.

I'm old. Never played much football, but I knew some guys who played at fairly high levels and even in the 1970s and 1980s, they told me you'd never believe what goes on and what gets said during a scramble for a football in a pile after a fumble. It was "make sure you're wearing your cup." Every possible incantation involving another's mother was considered fair game.

To Pompous Elitist's point, I don't know when it really changed. I think Billy "White Shoes" Johnson did what I would call the first choreographed touchdown celebration, which set a trend. I think what has happened is that a lot of the dead-ball celebrations after touchdowns has moved to the field during and between plays. It's just the way things are done now. It doesn't bother me, but if I wanted to watch a bunch of Ric Flair-like antics, I think I'd rather just watch Ric Flair. What I find hilarious is that a tackler makes a big hit down the field and does a pose, forgetting for a minute that the offensive player just put a big gain on the board.

No question the NFL is arbitrary in the levying of fines like these. My guess is Winfield just received a $7,800 raise to take care of this. The visibility of the game is probably the only reason he was fined in the first place.

I'm old. Never played much football, but I knew some guys who played at fairly high levels and even in the 1970s and 1980s, they told me you'd never believe what goes on and what gets said during a scramble for a football in a pile after a fumble. It was "make sure you're wearing your cup." Every possible incantation involving another's mother was considered fair game.

To Pompous Elitist's point, I don't know when it really changed. I think Billy "White Shoes" Johnson did what I would call the first choreographed touchdown celebration, which set a trend. I think what has happened is that a lot of the dead-ball celebrations after touchdowns has moved to the field during and between plays. It's just the way things are done now. It doesn't bother me, but if I wanted to watch a bunch of Ric Flair-like antics, I think I'd rather just watch Ric Flair. What I find hilarious is that a tackler makes a big hit down the field and does a pose, forgetting for a minute that the offensive player just put a big gain on the board.

No question the NFL is arbitrary in the levying of fines like these. My guess is Winfield just received a $7,800 raise to take care of this. The visibility of the game is probably the only reason he was fined in the first place.

And that they are behind 35-0.

A hall of fame Gopher defensive player who is one of our great ambassadors (c'mon guess) told me that offensive lineman pee and crap in their pants intentionally. Talk about offensive! Not to be outdone, so did the DL.

When you see those big dudes with "sweaty" pants, it ain't sweat.

Has Hill gotten fined for flashing the Peace sign? If not then they should fine him an equal amount

Flasing the peace sign is ok. Flashing the peace sign in your opponents face while talking trash in his face not ok. Two very different things, which seems to be totally lost on people here. Minor gestures in opponents faces to show them up, Flag and Fine every time. Celebrating, not in your opponents face, is perfectly fine.

Hill made sure that Winfield saw the peace sign. Winfield made sure Hill saw the peace sign. Normally I would agree that if not provoked you don't do this sort of thing. Winfield took a fine for the team.

Flasing the peace sign is ok. Flashing the peace sign in your opponents face while talking trash in his face not ok.
AWjr never said a word. Waited for him to look at him and flashed it. A fortiori, acceptable.

Go back to your JV board.

AWjr never said a word. Waited for him to look at him and flashed it. A fortiori, acceptable.

Go back to your JV board.
What JR did, flag every time, fine was deserved. Did he care, no. Got in his face and stayed there, easy call.

IMHO, it was the best $7815 he ever spent. He got payback, and he got a lot of currency from fans who despised players like Tyreek Hill.

I bet the Buccaneers fans don't mind it a bit.

If everyone thinks that was ok because everyone else is doing it...the NFL has some cleaning up to do. It was poor sportsmanship. Not the worst thing I’ve seen, but unnecessary. Everyone trash talks a little, pushes and shoves. Standing over someone, knocking their leg or helmet with a cleat, throwing the ball at another player seems...uncouth, low class. Taunting used to be looked down on as detrimental to enjoyment of the game, an escalation towards all out brawls, and a poor example of self discipline. When did this change? Serious question.

Maybe the NFL can start by cleaning out those like Hill that beat their wives and children and are allowed to remain employed and in the spotlight.

IMHO, it was the best $7815 he ever spent. He got payback, and he got a lot of currency from fans who despised players like Tyreek Hill.

Tyreeke Hill is one of the most popular players in the league. I think most folks are simply cool with someone getting payback on him, not actually bothered by his peace signs. Its a pretty dope celebration really. And it was hilarious when AWJ got him back for it too.

Tyreeke Hill is one of the most popular players in the league. I think most folks are simply cool with someone getting payback on him, not actually bothered by his peace signs. Its a pretty dope celebration really. And it was hilarious when AWJ got him back for it too.
I'm hearing otherwise as to Hill being one of the most popular players in the league. Interesting how that always gets played out as to two different versions.

What JR did, flag every time, fine was deserved. Did he care, no. Got in his face and stayed there, easy call.
I don't think anyone here thinks it shouldn't have been a flag. We are just saying it was an ok and very entertaining penalty to take at that stage of a game that was already over. Hill should have had a penalty the first time they played though for doing it to Winfield.
It can also be argued that Hill should have had stiffer penalties from the league for his domestic violence issues.

Maybe the NFL can start by cleaning out those like Hill that beat their wives and children and are allowed to remain employed and in the spotlight.

I concur, but Winfield still didn’t need to showboat. How many casual fans know who Hill is, or his alleged and convicted crimes, or his own showboating tendencies?

Not a big deal either way. I wasn’t impressed by Antoine that day and I’ve been one of his biggest fans here prior to his recruitment. We all make mistakes.

You’re a coach, I believe? Maybe I misread. It’s been awhile.

kFrJB17.png

Hill beat his child.

It s

It is worth much more than 8K to AWJrs national publicity

Hill got kicked out of Oklahoma state after he plead guilty to beating and strangling his girlfriend

I mentioned he beats women as well. Hard to fit all the disgusting stuff in just one post.

But he is fast so he is good to go! Just ask NFL fans.

Hill beat his child.
Hill is a free man and playing in the league. He’s one of the most exciting players in the league and thus extremely popular. Its entertainment not church. My belief is if you are legally allowed to work and the league chooses to employ you, thats where my judgement ends. Otherwise you have to be consistent and vet all athletes and entertainers you may watch as well as all businesses you spend money with

Hill is a free man and playing in the league. He’s one of the most exciting players in the league and thus extremely popular. Its entertainment not church. My belief is if you are legally allowed to work and the league chooses to employ you, thats where my judgement ends. Otherwise you have to be consistent and vet all athletes and entertainers you may watch as well as all businesses you spend money with
Cool. I’m glad you like him. Doesn’t mean I have to.

I think some of us are consistent in who we do business with (or are fans of) based on ethics, etc. It can be done. Not saying you have to do it though.

Top Bottom