Antoine Winfield Jr. fined by the NFL for mocking Tyreek Hill's peace sign in Super Bowl LV

If he gets fined, then many others should have gotten fined during the course of the season.

Not elite for Winfield. What happened to sportsmanship?? Oh, I forgot, that concept is out of fashion. Not a good example for young fans. The fine was justified and appropriate.
You’re clueless. Winfield’s transgression was surpassed about 100 times during the season. He just didn’t play for KC, GB, SEA, or NO.

Last edited:

AWJ is my favourite player in the NFL. I’ve watched every Buccs game from start to finish this year out of interest to see how he is getting on. I did initially think what he did was out of character but perhaps the pure drive for revenge just demonstrates the competitive necessity to be a professional athlete. I genuinely don’t think he did it for this reason but the gesture from a rookie safety to openly challenge the most explosive receiver in the NFL has certainly raised his profile.

Not elite for Winfield. What happened to sportsmanship?? Oh, I forgot, that concept is out of fashion. Not a good example for young fans. The fine was justified and appropriate.

Winfield threw up a piece sign at a guy that did a backflip into the end zone earlier this year (and is notorious for beating his girlfriend / kids). Justified and appropriate is kicking T. Hill off the field, not fining a guy that makes fun of him.

Get off my lawn.

Lets be honest, a $7800 fine is a "we cant be seen as letting "bad" behavior go in our biggest game", but the fine will reflects how little we care.

If everyone thinks that was ok because everyone else is doing it...the NFL has some cleaning up to do. It was poor sportsmanship. Not the worst thing I’ve seen, but unnecessary. Everyone trash talks a little, pushes and shoves. Standing over someone, knocking their leg or helmet with a cleat, throwing the ball at another player seems...uncouth, low class. Taunting used to be looked down on as detrimental to enjoyment of the game, an escalation towards all out brawls, and a poor example of self discipline. When did this change? Serious question.

Two people can’t use the peace sign in the same game? Wasn’t aware Tyreek Hill had a copyright there. Apparently the NFL has never been to a tourist site in Asia.

If everyone thinks that was ok because everyone else is doing it...the NFL has some cleaning up to do. It was poor sportsmanship. Not the worst thing I’ve seen, but unnecessary. Everyone trash talks a little, pushes and shoves. Standing over someone, knocking their leg or helmet with a cleat, throwing the ball at another player seems...uncouth, low class. Taunting used to be looked down on as detrimental to enjoyment of the game, an escalation towards all out brawls, and a poor example of self discipline. When did this change? Serious question.

I've heard lots of stories about the "good old days" of football where all kinds of nasty stuff happened after guys were tackled (grabbing nuts, eye gouges, punching, etc.). Maybe now since you can't get away with that kind of stuff because everything's on TV (with 30 different camera angles in HD), there's more trash talking. But something tells me there was plenty of trash talking going on in the "good old days", they just did a better job of making it not very visible.

The taunting makes it more enjoyable to watch to me.

I have no issue with the fine, as long as it's donated to victims of domestic abuse.

I agree. You never have to stoop to their level. I am a big fan of the old Bud Grant bravado, "act like you have been their before"...

Has Hill gotten fined for flashing the Peace sign? If not then they should fine him an equal amount
It is easier to let it ride if it is from a distance. AWjr bent down and did it in his face, he would have gotten away with flashing a peace sign as he ran off the field.

I agree with this:
But am happy he did it

I agree. You never have to stoop to their level. I am a big fan of the old Bud Grant bravado, "act like you have been their before"...
The biggest difference between bud grant and AWJr is a super bowl win.

grant doesn’t know how to act like he has been there before because he hasn’t been there before

Top Bottom