Answer to my man Gopher Gold

Sportsfan24

Reaction score
Hows that for a title?

GG, that’s what I’m going to call you if you don’t mind…eloquently and rightfully called me out on being vague in criticisms of Kill and the program. You even went through the trouble of digging up some examples (you cherry picked but I would have too…smile).

Here are my issues with Kill, Dr. “Kervorkian” Smith and Ed “Ice your leg” Lochrie.

To the parent of one of the medical department folks, you were right I should have called a pig a pig and not inadvertently indicted everyone associated…especially my hopefully still good buddy Chris.

Kim broke his leg, Doc Smith botched the surgery (was later corrected by a doctor I hired), Ed and Doc wouldn’t listen to Kim telling him something was drastically wrong (Brewster era). Only to be followed by Kim recovering from surgery (Kill era), suffering a “pulled” groin, being shot up every week to mask the pain, again telling Fred Flintstone…excuse me Ed that something was drastically wrong (which was later corrected by the leading Dr in his field who…you guessed it… I hired) and asking coach Kill to take a day off from practice because….you know making all those tackles on a “pulled” groin can be kind of taxing only to be told “no practice no play”….now get out there on special teams and sprint 50 yards and then play defense and make double digit tackles. He didn’t actually say the last part but you get my drift.

The “pulled” groin turned out to be a completely torn on one side and almost completely torn on the other side groin tear…which led to a stress fracture in his other leg (the one he didn’t break) that required major surgery (by a Dr….which I hired) and…..wait for it….another rod.

Botched surgery, missed diagnoses which led to more surgeries. You would think that coach would go to bat for his player when scouts look at film and are wondering why his star (my words…in the Kill system the S leads the Big Ten in tackles by design…his words) player is looking like he just got off a horse after a 200 mile ride while running around in the secondary? Nope, never mentioned it, but he did tell said scout how tough his job was and how little talent he was left with. Really? Why the –uck would he care? He was just interested in that productive little S you had that appeared to have a hitch in his giddy up. The NFL talent evaluator (the ones who initially assign grades) knew NOTHING about any of this so I can imagine that any scout who made a phone call to coach was told nothing either. He was solely evaluated on his “film.”

By the way I don’t totally fault Kill for this, I should have been telling anyone and everyone that walked by what they did or didn’t do, but instead I was actually trying not to make anyone look bad (hey…I’m not perfect). As one of the asst coaches (blog again and I will call you out by name) who pose as a blogger stated “keep it in the program,” which is a valid point as long as the “program” is reciprocating and taking care of the player.

Now in fairness (I hate my personal code of ethics sometimes) like I said in the AJ situation, Kill was operating under the assumption that Beavis and Butthead knew what they were doing and responded accordingly (which still doesn’t excuse him for not “fighting” for his player).

Speaking of AJ Barker; doesn’t this have a striking similarity with the AJ situation? Medical staff misdiagnosing player, player not trusting them and getting pissed of and having a heated exchange and the coach responding without having all the info, the player assuming coach does and he just doesn’t care?

Here is what I have to say to that….AJ, coach Kill, both of you were right and both of you were wrong. Makeup and move forward. Teague….you better replace these idiots (Gomer and Goober Pyle) before the U gets sued or worse.

Too harsh? Not when nobody calls to see if you made it out of surgery alive (the last one in May, the rest he still had eligibility so of course they called).

And while I’m clearing my soul; the hillbilly comment I made came from a NFL person who said the staff reminded him of the tv show “the Beverly Hillbillies.” because they come across as not belonging and in way over their heads in their interactions with NFL folk. I wouldn’t or couldn’t go that far (say they don’t belong) but IMO some of them are completely uncomfortable with grown-ups. Too harsh? I can see that; I apologize.

With all of that being said; I still believe if coach grows into ALL aspects of this job he will be successful. I want him to be successful because I am a U fan and nothing that happened with Kim will ruin his life…I would argue he will be better for it because the strongest steel is forged from the hottest fire. That doesn’t however mean I can’t point out things I’m unhappy about or dislike the folks who I believe caused it, (hell some of you get mad at me because I don’t like the freaking football coach.)

There it ALL is GG; like I said, there is nothing here for someone else to dislike certain folks but I think you would agree there is stuff here to justify or at the least explain why I may not feel all warm and cuddly about some folks.

For the rest of you, going forward can you now take what I say at face value? I have no agenda, I just like to talk sports and like each one of you it’s from my own perspective.

This was around a 1000 words (way under AJ’s 4000) so none of you had better refer to it has a manifesto!

Fair enough. FWIW, I remember thinking watching Kim run on the field for his first senior day that he just didn't look right. I'm glad he got it fixed and got a chance to play that last year.

Interesting read. I'm not going to comment on any of the specifics as I don't want to start any arguments one way or the other but I do enjoy getting the chance to read people's personal (and hopefully fully accurate to the poster's knowledge; not saying this is the case here but just generalizing to all personal accounts) stories as they provide alternate views on issues. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks SF24. As I do not always agree with your opinions, I do respect and appreciate your posts and opinions. Especially from someone who has had experiences from within both programs.. Thank you for sharing your personal experiences and opinions as I certainly know you do not have to. Much appreciated.

I've been wondering what your 'beef' was, so I appreciate you informing us of what transpired from your side. Honestly, I knew you were a parent, but didn't know you were Kim's parent (I don't follow every word on this site). I thought/think Kim is a great kid. It's too bad that he had such bad luck/fortune. I truly wish him the best. What is he doing now??

I witnesses Kim a number of times last year coaching at Hamline. He was always checking the Gopher score before the games or at the half. He kid loves the maroon and gold. NCAA football seems to have some serious issues with treatment of players. I don't think this is just a Kill problem, if all true.

I witnesses Kim a number of times last year coaching at Hamline. He was always checking the Gopher score before the games or at the half. He kid loves the maroon and gold. NCAA football seems to have some serious issues with treatment of players. I don't think this is just a Kill problem, if all true.

Yeah.. I agree.. I think that's just the culture of football, especially NCAA football. And I would have to agree with SF24 that the U needs to either add to or replace completely the medical staff. The past few years with all the injuries (and even Coach Kill commenting at how unbelievable/unprecedented it was) kind of leads me to believe that it's not a player issue as much as it's a medical staff issue.

It does make you wonder with all of the OL injuries if the treatments were spot on, or " let's try this" I mean think about guys. SF24 may have a valid point.

I really liked Kim as a player and wish him the best in the future. He seems to be a nice young man and you should be proud how you raised him. Also sorry to hear of his tribulations, but as you said, hopefully it makes him stronger as a person and not bitter (I'm sure it has made him stronger). My only question is that even if that is the complete story and fair assessment to both sides on all points, why use this forum to continually take implied and not so implied shots at the current coaching staff? I am not on here much, but the only threads I come across with your input isn't usually "just talking football", but instead seems like you just having to "vent" about your frustrations. Maybe the venting is healthy for your soul, but personally, I don't see this as the best target audience.

For years this forum has been used to talk about Gopher Football. If you throw-in it's previous version, Gopher Hole has been used to discuss, support and attack Mason, Maturi, Brewster, Offensive Coordinators, Defensive Corordinators, Students, Senior Season Ticket holders, the Board of Regents, the City of Minneapolis, etc., etc. It's even been used to go back into the past to attack Holtz, Gutey, Wacker, C.Peter McGrath and even Malcolm Moos.

Now this maybe the first time the Medical Staff has come under scrutiny, but, considering the last injury filled season, it certainly should be fair game.

Nothing vicious or scurrilous about this thread. Just seems that anything beyond "Kill is/or will do a GREAT job" brings out calls about the discussion being out of line. If Kill is allowed to go to the "Boy, the talent here is lousy" again and again without taking much if any heat for it, questioning whether he's doing the right thing or is even the best guy for the job, shouldn't be over the line either.

Thanks for sharing this SF24. It has to be hard to watch someone struggle due to things largely out of their control and incredibly hard when it is your son. I enjoyed watching Kim play and got an idea of his toughness, grit, and happiness to play for the Gophers but am more impressed after reading your post. Best to Kim in the future. We all want the medical staff to do the best job possible keeping the players healthy. I hope any issues and concerns with the medical staff are recognized and fixed.

Iceland, my post was not intended as an indictment on any "negative" discussions on anything Gopher related, but instead a note directed at SF24 specifically for many reasons. In fact, I actually appreciate the openess in this thread v. all the innuendo in his other posts. I have a long history of reading 24's posts and know he is a bright, articulate poster and can add a lot to the equation when he is talking football and Gopher sports in general. He has the blessing/curse of being a father of a player which brings his experience to another level and I'm sure it is hard for him to read inaccuracies on the board or things he disagrees with. My main point with him is that it seems that his contributions have digressed into now only bringing out his personal "vents" as most have the undertones or implications of his frustrations due to what he noted above. I just think it is unfortunate as like he said with Kim, he hopes the situation made him stronger and a better person. I'm hoping the same for 24.

Understood, but after being asked many, many times " SF24, if you've got something to say why don't you just come out and say it?", it's hard to be upset when he finally answers that question. Honestly, if you re-read the original post, he seems to agree with what you're saying too.

All that aside, it is pretty interesting how the Medical Staffs of both the Football team and the Timberwolves, two teams that have had WAY more than their share of injuries this past year, both have escaped any scrutiny.

Iceland, my post was not intended as an indictment on any "negative" discussions on anything Gopher related, but instead a note directed at SF24 specifically for many reasons. In fact, I actually appreciate the openess in this thread v. all the innuendo in his other posts. I have a long history of reading 24's posts and know he is a bright, articulate poster and can add a lot to the equation when he is talking football and Gopher sports in general. He has the blessing/curse of being a father of a player which brings his experience to another level and I'm sure it is hard for him to read inaccuracies on the board or things he disagrees with. My main point with him is that it seems that his contributions have digressed into now only bringing out his personal "vents" as most have the undertones or implications of his frustrations due to what he noted above. I just think it is unfortunate as like he said with Kim, he hopes the situation made him stronger and a better person. I'm hoping the same for 24.

Understood, but after being asked many, many times " SF24, if you've got something to say why don't you just come out and say it?", it's hard to be upset when he finally answers that question. Honestly, if you re-read the original post, he seems to agree with what you're saying too.

All that aside, it is pretty interesting how the Medical Staffs of both the Football team and the Timberwolves, two teams that have had WAY more than their share of injuries this past year, both have escaped any scrutiny.

Fair enough, as my point would have been placed better in a different SF24 thread.

Good post. Informative and entertaining.

Hows that for a title?

GG, that’s what I’m going to call you if you don’t mind…eloquently and rightfully called me out on being vague in criticisms of Kill and the program. You even went through the trouble of digging up some examples (you cherry picked but I would have too…smile).

Here are my issues with Kill, Dr. “Kervorkian” Petersen and Ed “Ice your leg” Lochrie.

To the parent of one of the medical department folks, you were right I should have called a pig a pig and not inadvertently indicted everyone associated…especially my hopefully still good buddy Chris.

Kim broke his leg, Doc Petersen botched the surgery (was later corrected by a doctor I hired), Ed and Doc wouldn’t listen to Kim telling him something was drastically wrong (Brewster era). Only to be followed by Kim recovering from surgery (Kill era), suffering a “pulled” groin, being shot up every week to mask the pain, again telling Fred Flintstone…excuse me Ed that something was drastically wrong (which was later corrected by the leading Dr in his field who…you guessed it… I hired) and asking coach Kill to take a day off from practice because….you know making all those tackles on a “pulled” groin can be kind of taxing only to be told “no practice no play”….now get out there on special teams and sprint 50 yards and then play defense and make double digit tackles. He didn’t actually say the last part but you get my drift.

The “pulled” groin turned out to be a completely torn on one side and almost completely torn on the other side groin tear…which led to a stress fracture in his other leg (the one he didn’t break) that required major surgery (by a Dr….which I hired) and…..wait for it….another rod.

Botched surgery, missed diagnoses which led to more surgeries. You would think that coach would go to bat for his player when scouts look at film and are wondering why his star (my words…in the Kill system the S leads the Big Ten in tackles by design…his words) player is looking like he just got off a horse after a 200 mile ride while running around in the secondary? Nope, never mentioned it, but he did tell said scout how tough his job was and how little talent he was left with. Really? Why the –uck would he care? He was just interested in that productive little S you had that appeared to have a hitch in his giddy up. The NFL talent evaluator (the ones who initially assign grades) knew NOTHING about any of this so I can imagine that any scout who made a phone call to coach was told nothing either. He was solely evaluated on his “film.”
By the way I don’t totally fault Kill for this, I should have been telling anyone and everyone that walked by what they did or didn’t do, but instead I was actually trying not to make anyone look bad (hey…I’m not perfect). As one of the asst coaches (blog again and I will call you out by name) who pose as a blogger stated “keep it in the program,” which is a valid point as long as the “program” is reciprocating and taking care of the player.

Now in fairness (I hate my personal code of ethics sometimes) like I said in the AJ situation, Kill was operating under the assumption that Beavis and Butthead knew what they were doing and responded accordingly (which still doesn’t excuse him for not “fighting” for his player).

Speaking of AJ Barker; doesn’t this have a striking similarity with the AJ situation? Medical staff misdiagnosing player, player not trusting them and getting pissed of and having a heated exchange and the coach responding without having all the info, the player assuming coach does and he just doesn’t care?

Here is what I have to say to that….AJ, coach Kill, both of you were right and both of you were wrong. Makeup and move forward. Teague….you better replace these idiots (Gomer and Goober Pyle) before the U gets sued or worse.

Too harsh? Not when nobody calls to see if you made it out of surgery alive (the last one in May, the rest he still had eligibility so of course they called).

And while I’m clearing my soul; the hillbilly comment I made came from a NFL person who said the staff reminded him of the tv show “the Beverly Hillbillies.” because they come across as not belonging and in way over their heads in their interactions with NFL folk. I wouldn’t or couldn’t go that far (say they don’t belong) but IMO some of them are completely uncomfortable with grown-ups. Too harsh? I can see that; I apologize.

With all of that being said; I still believe if coach grows into ALL aspects of this job he will be successful. I want him to be successful because I am a U fan and nothing that happened with Kim will ruin his life…I would argue he will be better for it because the strongest steel is forged from the hottest fire. That doesn’t however mean I can’t point out things I’m unhappy about or dislike the folks who I believe caused it, (hell some of you get mad at me because I don’t like the freaking football coach.)

There it ALL is GG; like I said, there is nothing here for someone else to dislike certain folks but I think you would agree there is stuff here to justify or at the least explain why I may not feel all warm and cuddly about some folks.

For the rest of you, going forward can you now take what I say at face value? I have no agenda, I just like to talk sports and like each one of you it’s from my own perspective.

This was around a 1000 words (way under AJ’s 4000) so none of you had better refer to it has a manifesto!

Thanks.
Regarding the bolded...You were in the room and heard Coach Kill say to the scout "how little talent he was left with," when the scout was asking about your son?
Also, you said you can image what Kill told scouts, have you ever asked him directly?

My man; there is no hope for me....I'm a lost cause. Just ask my wife.

In my defense; everytime I say anything critical it's asssumed it's directed at Kill and the Gopher program or that I said it because I disliked Kill (folks dislike me, I don't see it as anything ground breaking) I finally laid my "beef" out there because I had to agree with posters who said it was getting damn annoying.

Personally, as of now outside of this thread SF24 never had a son who played for the gophers. I just want to be a blogger whose opinion is no different than anyone elses (that's why I considered changing my monicker like I did on gopher Ill. last year.)

Again; outside of this thread I'm going to do what my wife says I'm so good at....plead ignorant.....to being a parent of a former gopher.

Fencejumper, you bring up a really good point about letting things go. My question is; wouldn't you agree it's pretty tough to "let things go," when you see behaviors repeating themselves and having an affect on others?

I felt horrible/guilty when AJ took all that heat for his accusations when I knew them to be awful damn close to issues I had. Nobody (including me) spoke up and said "well I know of something similiar that happened" so AJ may have a point. Meanwhile all kind of folks were jumping in to defend Kill (personally I think Kill may be a victim of the medical staff also.) I don't know exactly what happened but I felt like crap leaving AJ out there in the wind by himself by not speaking up publicly.

Like the rest of us AJ has his own issues and certainly has some growing up to do but like the rest of us he deserves a second chance. So with that being said, I'm going to give a 2nd chance to Kill (even though he hasn't asked for one). As of right now today I love Kills little bald head (stop it perverts you know what I'm talking about), all is forgiven. He has a new start with me and I agree it's time to move on.

The medical staff? Hell to the no; my name is Chris not Christ.

Thanks.
Regarding the bolded...You were in the room and heard Coach Kill say to the scout "how little talent he was left with," when the scout was asking about your son?
Also, you said you can image what Kill told scouts, have you ever asked him directly?

Nope, I was not in the room. Nor did I hear Kill say it. It's what the scout said he was told. No, I have never asked Kill if he said it.

Because I couldn't see why the scout would lie and he was from another state and this is something I have heard coach say often, I assumed Kill said it. For me that's all water under the bridge and it doesn't matter anymore...stuff happens.

What do you think?

My man; there is no hope for me....I'm a lost cause. Just ask my wife.

In my defense; everytime I say anything critical it's asssumed it's directed at Kill and the Gopher program or that I said it because I disliked Kill (folks dislike me, I don't see it as anything ground breaking) I finally laid my "beef" out there because I had to agree with posters who said it was getting damn annoying.

Personally, as of now outside of this thread SF24 never had a son who played for the gophers. I just want to be a blogger whose opinion is no different than anyone elses (that's why I considered changing my monicker like I did on gopher Ill. last year.)

Again; outside of this thread I'm going to do what my wife says I'm so good at....plead ignorant.....to being a parent of a former gopher.

Fencejumper, you bring up a really good point about letting things go. My question is; wouldn't you agree it's pretty tough to "let things go," when you see behaviors repeating themselves and having an affect on others?

I felt horrible/guilty when AJ took all that heat for his accusations when I knew them to be awful damn close to issues I had. Nobody (including me) spoke up and said "well I know of something similiar that happened" so AJ may have a point. Meanwhile all kind of folks were jumping in to defend Kill (personally I think Kill may be a victim of the medical staff also.) I don't know exactly what happened but I felt like crap leaving AJ out there in the wind by himself by not speaking up publicly.

Like the rest of us AJ has his own issues and certainly has some growing up to do but like the rest of us he deserves a second chance. So with that being said, I'm going to give a 2nd chance to Kill (even though he hasn't asked for one). As of right now today I love Kills little bald head (stop it perverts you know what I'm talking about), all is forgiven. He has a new start with me and I agree it's time to move on.

The medical staff? Hell to the no; my name is Chris not Christ.

Confession is good for the soul. I totally agree it is tough to let things go. Heck, I get bottled up dealing with kids/coaches in gradeschool and junior high sports, let alone at Kim's level and all he has been through. Believe me I'm much better at diagnosing the problem, then being perfect myself.

In regards to the AJ comparison, while there are some similarities, I also think their are substantial differences in the situations (for one, obviously Kim handled his situation in a much more diplomatic matter). But like you said, you do not know what exactly happened and I think you are projecting Kim's situation (square peg) onto AJ's (round hole). No need to find guilt there for not speaking up.

Looking forward to the new you.;)

Nope, I was not in the room. Nor did I hear Kill say it. It's what the scout said he was told. No, I have never asked Kill if he said it.

Because I couldn't see why the scout would lie and he was from another state and this is something I have heard coach say often, I assumed Kill said it. For me that's all water under the bridge and it doesn't matter anymore...stuff happens.

What do you think?

I'm not going to guess what people may have said. I have heard Kill publicly say comments like, "we are/were not a very good team, need more, better, faster players etc." I never heard him say, specifically, "Player A is no good."

I do know that the human condition causes some people to talk out of both sides of their mouths. That could apply to coaches, scouts, anybody.

I appreciate your water under the bridge mentality...but if something caused you so much angst (from some of your comments it appears some of this did) I just question why you did not go straight to the man, Kill in this case. If he said or didn't say enough in a situation where he could have impacted your sons future, why not ask him about it? Maybe an answer from him could have satisfied you long ago.

I said a long time ago that I enjoyed your sons time as a gopher. I also appreciated your knowledge. Lately, however, the (as DP put it) axe grinding was tough to read all the time as a gopher fan. I guess I just didn't understand where it was coming from.

I don't come to the football forums much during the off season but was surprised to see this. Thanks for the chuckle

FYI Not about this GopherGold

Sportsfan 24:

It took some guts to post this, I hope this helps not only yourself get over some of this but also some of us fans that may not have known where you have been coming from. I'm sure a lot of us would have similar "gripes" and points of view if we had our sons playing in the program, it's only natural as a parent to want to defend your children.

As far as your son goes he will always have my respect, here's why. I went to the Gophs/ Badger game last time we played at TCF in 2011. After the game the classless Badger players ran through some of our guys during the band salute and began to swing the axe and "chop" down our goalpost. Kim was the first Gopher player there pushing those Badger players away, and I could tell at that moment that this is a guy that truly cares about the Gophers and the program. To me it showed a lot of character for him to defend our home like that even with all he had been through to that point, so I'll never question his heart and if he has an agenda (or you) by his actions that day and also by your passion as a poster. It's never wrong to speak one's mind when there are things others might not know about. I know other former players who look at things much differently than us fans, and they are the ones who have been there, so who am I to judge some things I may not know about.

reading all of this, I have one very basic question:

Did Kill inherit the team Doctor and Training staff, or are they people he chose/brought with him?

My gut tells me that if I was a coach, with my job largely dependent on the health of my players, I would want the very best medical and training staff possible to take care of the players and ensure their continued health and availability.

If a coach knew, or was told that his team Dr. and training staff had misdiagnosed injuries, or botched a surgery to the point where a 2nd surgery was needed, I would think the coach would want those people gone in a heartbeat.

So my question(s): 1. did Kill have a hand in choosing the medical staff and trainers, or did he inherit them? 2. Was Kill told about the problems with Kim's situation, and what was his response?

reading all of this, I have one very basic question:

Did Kill inherit the team Doctor and Training staff, or are they people he chose/brought with him?

My gut tells me that if I was a coach, with my job largely dependent on the health of my players, I would want the very best medical and training staff possible to take care of the players and ensure their continued health and availability.

If a coach knew, or was told that his team Dr. and training staff had misdiagnosed injuries, or botched a surgery to the point where a 2nd surgery was needed, I would think the coach would want those people gone in a heartbeat.

So my question(s): 1. did Kill have a hand in choosing the medical staff and trainers, or did he inherit them? 2. Was Kill told about the problems with Kim's situation, and what was his response?

Some of the training staff has been around since the mason years. They might be hired by the U and not the coach so they aren't biased.

Thanks.

1) Don't be a dick.
2) Who cares, who're just nitpicking.
3) Kill stated publicly upon taking the job & again after pretty much every loss how little talent he was left with. We heard it so often that it began to be a frequent topic of discussion here. What SF24 says seems totally inline with Kill's track record of condemning the talent he inherited at Minnesota. That doesn't make Kill a bad guy, just seem to be what he does.

I like Coach Kill & think we'll win with him, but I have no doubt that underneath the "Ah shucks" & "Country Jer" schtick that he's a complete bully & dictator. Just characteristics that seem to go with the job.

1) Don't be a dick.
2) Who cares, who're[B\] just nitpicking.
3) Kill stated publicly upon taking the job & again after pretty much every loss how little talent he was left with. We heard it so often that it began to be a frequent topic of discussion here. What SF24 says seems totally inline with Kill's track record of condemning the talent he inherited at Minnesota. That doesn't make Kill a bad guy, just seem to be what he does.

I like Coach Kill & think we'll win with him, but I have no doubt that underneath the "Ah shucks" & "Country Jer" schtick that he's a complete bully & dictator. Just characteristics that seem to go with the job.

Did you just call him a whore? :)

Top Bottom