Another look at Weber...

Quote: I really want Weber to step up and win some big games - don't know if its going to happen.

Not when the defense gives up 300 yards rushing.

Under Mason the Gophers routinely rushed for 300 yards and often got their rear ends kicked (Big 10 record of 32 -48). The Gophers were beaten on both sides of the line of scrimmage on Saturday, but that doesn't mean they could not have won the game. I think most people would agree (including Brewster) that the Gophers could easily have scored at least two more touchdowns and probably more. Wisconsin's defense is just not that good. Even Weber says that he did not have a good game against Wisconsin. Why are so many posters in GopherHole making excuses for him? Weber would never make excuses for himself.

Looking at Weber, alot of you guys are pretty harsh on him. Heres some stats to think about.

57.2%...partially skewed because of the syracuse game. He has had to change his throwing motion which may have adjusted his feel. Either way, 57 isnt so bad when you dont have much time on most downs and no playaction or run threat. If you notice, when he has more then 4 seconds in the pocket, he usually finds someone or gives someone a chance to make a play.

INT-TD ratio (6-6)...This is also slightly skewed, because of the california game. He threw three picks, one of which was trully a mistake, the others were just heaved up attempts to salvage the game. His touchdowns may also be slightly skewed lower, depending on how you look at. I can't count on one hand how many times he hit someone and they were tackled inside the three, and then we ran it in with Bennett or Eskridge.

'Slightly skewed'. That's funny stuff. Those games count. As do those stats. All QBs end up throwing end-of-half passes, Hail Mary's etc., not just Weber. Speaking of Hail Mary's: When was the last time Weber threw a deep ball that hit the receiver in stride? It just doesn't happen anymore. He isn't very good. It's unfortunate, but it is a fact.

Defense didn't take a 15 yard sack at the end of the game, didn't overthrow Eskridge resulting in an Interception and also didn't fumble to end the game.......

But they did strip the ball and take it to the house to give us a chance.......

During the Game

I heard the announcers talking about how Weber had made over 20 checks to certain plays during the NW game. Sounds like the QB position in this offense may be more sophisticating than we know. This may be part of the reason Gray isn't seeing the fields. I'd still like to see him for 1-4 series a game.

I've seen him go through progressions at times, and he's made some big time throws at times. Others he looks lost, or takes too long, or is flushed from the pocket so fast he needs to scramble and find whoever he can.
The clammering for Gray is silly. Say what you want about Coach Brew, but he is not playing favorites or keeping Weber in there for any reason other than he is the best QB on the team, period.
Gray must not be hitting reads or executing the offense in practice, OR HE WOULD BE PLAYING MORE.
Everyone assumes he can throw a pass, maybe he can't throw it to the right spot yet, see Tavaris Jackson for a guy that has huge potential but was thrown in and ruined by premature expectations. I would put Terrell Prior in that category too, although he has good talent around him to work with.

That clearly doesn't help. As someone else said Mason's teams could run the ball and lose. Hell, we once ran for 424 yards vs. Michigan and lost.

We also put up the most yards against Ohio State *EVER* in that 2005 game and lost.......

we get it already, if someone played at Mounds View you will stick up for them endlessly. why dont you stick up for other players and positions as much as this when people are critical of them?
apparently you don't "get it already" or you'd have noted this earlier post.

But if it's too bothersome or irksome to read my responses, you can always put my name in your Ignore list. I'll be crushed but somehow will find a way to carry on. ...
whistilin.gif

countdownclub.jpg

Because of the new clock rules in college there is a significant drop in plays per game since the days of Mason. Giving up 300 yards rushing and almost 500 yards of total offense would be the equivalent of a lot more during the Mason years - probably in the neighborhood of 600 yards given the amount of plays that have decreased.

I understand that we rushed for 424 yards of offense in the 2003 Michigan game. I also plan to watch that game this Saturday on the anniversary of 10/10/2003 as I do every year on that date.

My sole purpose in watching it this time is to document how fewer plays were run and time remained had the clock rules of todays game been implimented back then. I will file a report this weekend, but the point is - lets not forget how significant 300 yards rushing is in todays game with the new clock rules.

Maddening......

Most here seem to agree that Weber is experienced, intelligent, an admired leader, very tough/resilient, able to absorb new O systems and absolutely brilliant at times, winning BT honors in the process.

What must be maddening to Brew/JF...and as detailed by GHers here repeatedly...is his remarkable inability to perform CONSISTENTLY at a high level. Yes, some is on the OL. Leads one to wonder if he is smart enough to self-analyze and really understand why he has "bad" games periodically when it involves areas of qbing he has control over and should have fixed many games ago.

If he really is smart enough to understand the problems so continually rehashed here, why haven't he and the coaches developed repetitive drills to fix them? I don't get it. Most people in life get better with repetitive on-the-job training and prepping as needed. Maybe those who say these problems are not fixable because he doesn't have the ability are right. I don't know, maybe someone else does.

nail on head

:clap:

'Most here seem to agree that Weber is experienced, intelligent, an admired leader, very tough/resilient, able to absorb new O systems and absolutely brilliant at times, winning BT honors in the process.

What must be maddening to Brew/JF...and as detailed by GHers here repeatedly...is his remarkable inability to perform CONSISTENTLY at a high level. Yes, some is on the OL. Leads one to wonder if he is smart enough to self-analyze and really understand why he has "bad" games periodically when it involves areas of qbing he has control over and should have fixed many games ago.'

This is EXACTLY what is frustrating about Webber. All but the most die hard haters have seen great potential and fantastic execution from Webber over the years. However, all have also seen Webber struggle and miss passes, misread coverages, take bad sacks, and do a number of things that experienced QBs shouldn't do. I truly believe that with a better O-line Webber would be fine. But we DON'T have a better O-line this year, so it's frustrating to see him make mistakes that cost us games.

Bottom line--Webber is good, but Gray should start getting some series. Gray is a weapon and there's no reason not to give him a couple series a game and spot duty on other offensive possessions.

If you aren't going to play him at all then why burn the redshirt?

If you aren't going to play him at all then why burn the redshirt?
Don't you think it might, just might, be because Brewster needs to have someone as back-up QB if Weber (note the spelling) gets injured? I doubt if Alipate or Lueck are going to be the answer in that event.

countdownclub.jpg

you guys are going right into the toilet with your golden boy Weber. And Weber in the NFL? That is rich. And calling people "moron" because you disagree with them is very intelligent.

Spare me with the lame analysis from the spring game. Adam Weber is a solid Big-10 QB who will get a look in the NFL. Just ask the opposing coaches as well as Fisch and Brew who see every rep in practice. You people who think Gray is further ahead of Weber as a QB are ignorant morons. This team is improving every year and will continue to do so. Brew is managing a plan and it is working.

+1 Give Weber time and he can be deadly with his throws. As an example, Weber's 20 yard, 3ed down pass to Green in the middle of the field to keep a drive alive. Green was going full speed, tightly guarded and Weber hit Green in the numbers.

Maybe Weber is playing injured and maybe Gray isn't ready. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that is not mentioned in the media.

Top Bottom