Another look at Weber...

PigAxeJug

Fun Dip
Reaction score
Looking at Weber, alot of you guys are pretty harsh on him. Heres some stats to think about.

57.2%...partially skewed because of the syracuse game. He has had to change his throwing motion which may have adjusted his feel. Either way, 57 isnt so bad when you dont have much time on most downs and no playaction or run threat. If you notice, when he has more then 4 seconds in the pocket, he usually finds someone or gives someone a chance to make a play.

INT-TD ratio (6-6)...This is also slightly skewed, because of the california game. He threw three picks, one of which was trully a mistake, the others were just heaved up attempts to salvage the game. His touchdowns may also be slightly skewed lower, depending on how you look at. I can't count on one hand how many times he hit someone and they were tackled inside the three, and then we ran it in with Bennett or Eskridge.

Spreading of the ball...I think this is were everyone really is unfair to Weber. percentage wise 47.25% of his passes which were completed, go to Decker, and probably 50% of his attempts where in Decker's direction. If you were Adam and Eric was open wouldn't you throw it to him. The reason he gets the ball so much is because he literally is open almost every play. Sure Weber forces some to him, but all Qb's make that mistake. Outside ED, we have Troy, Brandon, and NT/A. They have a combined 34 catches(13, 10, and 11 catches respectively). The only one of those three I would trust in traffic is Nick. Green has solid hands but is inconsistent. Stoudermire is a burner, but isnt so handy and i'd be afraid to send him over the middle. Heose & Carpenter are the only other non-running backs Weber has thrown to. Carpenter doesnt get much time, but he really hasn't proven anything at this time. Hoese is a fullback. Hes good for a chekdown or two every game or so. His catches usually result in 5 yards or so. Not a huge threat.

The GRAY effect...Ever since he signed up, people have been begging to see him, and the coaching staff has given us a little taste of him, in the form of his running and receiving game. He has TD pass from Decker, and 9 rushes for 54 yards. However, he has yet to throw a pass, so we don't know much about his overall QB play. In this situation, I trust that Weber trully is a much better QB than Gray at this time, and that Brew keeps him in because of this. Having said that, i would like to see a throw or two out of him next week, because it probably wouldn't be great if his first pass was against OSU or PSU's defense.

Overall...Weber currently is the best and probably most consistent Quarterback on the roster, and currently one of if not the greatest Gopher quarterback, statistically speaking (hopefully those records are never broken, cause if they are it either means we gave up on our run game, or we are starting a frosh QB again, not the best of ideas), in our teams history. Maybe Gray will be better than him in the future, but right now you just gotta trust the coaching staff. Of course their are things Weber should improve. He needs to fix the "get rid of it" clock in his head. He tries to do to much. He needs to get used to the throwing motion a bit more and re-gain some touch. Also, he needs to RUN THE BALL! He was a dualthreat in HS and his first two years. Even though Brew has dumped his QB runs from the playbook, that doesn't mean he can't take off when he sees green in front of him.

Weber is an average QB, nothing more nothing less.......

seems to me that he was better last year. IMO he could/should be better than he is playing

I am sick and tired of hearing that he is the best qb on the roster. HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT??? Because Brew says so??? Please!!!! I give you the spring game and anyone would rate Gray as superior. And that was 2nd team off. against lst team D

seems to me that he was better last year. IMO he could/should be better than he is playing

Keep in mind how horribly he fell off in the last half of the season as the schedule got tougher.......

I am sick and tired of hearing that he is the best qb on the roster. HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT??? Because Brew says so??? Please!!!! I give you the spring game and anyone would rate Gray as superior. And that was 2nd team off. against lst team D

So he looked against the nation's 81st ranked defense? Sign me up!

Weber misses so many wide open passes. Sure, he still completes 57% of his passes, but that doesn't matter when he kills drives by blowing "easy" passes.

In Brew i trust, atleast when it comes to things he watches every day, like our QB's in practice. How many practices have u watched Upchurch? a hell of alot less than Brewster.

I don't think you can draw any concrete conclusions about Gray from the spring game, however this is a team that needs to be looking down the road. It makes sense to give Gray some series each game to see what they have in him and start getting him game experience. This isn't a team that's competing this year at the very least.

PigAxeJug Quote: "Overall...Weber currently is the best and probably most consistent Quarterback on the roster, and currently one of if not the greatest Gopher quarterback, statistically speaking (hopefully those records are never broken, cause if they are it either means we gave up on our run game, or we are starting a frosh QB again, not the best of ideas), in our teams history".

Lets not get carried away here. The only reason that Weber's statistics look so good is because he has thrown significantly more passes at this point in his career than any other Gopher QB in history. Unless Weber starts winning important games he can never be considered the greatest Gopher quarterback ever. This will be true no matter how many QB records he has at the end of his Gopher career.

At this point we are well into Weber's 3rd year as QB and he has not had a significant win over a quality opponent. The Gophers would have beaten Wisconsin yesterday if Weber had played the way 3rd year Big 10 quarterbacks are supposed to play. Right now I would take Bryan Cupito's career over Weber's career in a flash. It is not even a close call for me. If Weber didn't have Eric Decker to catch so many of his poor passes his QB stats would look pathetic.

On the field is where it counts.......

Where weber has thrown 45 career TD passes, and gray has thrown zero passes.

On the practice field is where you earn your spot, wheather it be starting QB, backup QB, or 1-2 series a game QB.

PigAxeJug Quote: "Overall...Weber currently is the best and probably most consistent Quarterback on the roster, and currently one of if not the greatest Gopher quarterback, statistically speaking (hopefully those records are never broken, cause if they are it either means we gave up on our run game, or we are starting a frosh QB again, not the best of ideas), in our teams history".

Lets not get carried away here. The only reason that Weber's statistics look so good is because he has thrown significantly more passes at this point in his career than any other Gopher QB in history. Unless Weber starts winning important games he can never be considered the greatest Gopher quarterback ever. This will be true no matter how many QB records he has at the end of his Gopher career.

At this point we are well into Weber's 3rd year as QB and he has not had a significant win over a quality opponent. The Gophers would have beaten Wisconsin yesterday if Weber had played the way 3rd year Big 10 quarterbacks are supposed to play. Right now I would take Bryan Cupito's career over Weber's career in a flash. It is not even a close call for me. If Weber didn't have Eric Decker to catch so many of his poor passes his QB stats would look pathetic.

Cupito, like tolzien, can lean on his RB's to take almost all the pressure off him.
If weber didnt have to run for his life and only threw on 1/3 of the plays, he would be as good if not better than Asad abdul Khaliq and Cupito, the two quarterbacks who out stat him currently.

Spare me with the lame analysis from the spring game. Adam Weber is a solid Big-10 QB who will get a look in the NFL. Just ask the opposing coaches as well as Fisch and Brew who see every rep in practice. You people who think Gray is further ahead of Weber as a QB are ignorant morons. This team is improving every year and will continue to do so. Brew is managing a plan and it is working.

i dont think weber is a bad QB but for being a 3 year starter now i dont think its wrong to think that we should be getting better production out of him. also, is it just me or does it seem that weber doesnt know how to throw the ball away when he is in trouble?

This benching Weber nonsense needs to stop. Think about it - do you really want MarQueis Gray to be called upon to try and be the primary passer behind this offensive line? Gray has never thrown a college pass, and he never played under center until this year. Throw in the fact that our OL is terrible and Gray would get killed. Weber has his faults, but he has done more than fine given the other circumstances.

This benching Weber nonsense needs to stop. Think about it - do you really want MarQueis Gray to be called upon to try and be the primary passer behind this offensive line? Gray has never thrown a college pass, and he never played under center until this year. Throw in the fact that our OL is terrible and Gray would get killed. Weber has his faults, but he has done more than fine given the other circumstances.

Stop thinking with your head. This is the thread where you talk out of your butt.

Everything you wrote is correct and those who feel differently are not thinking with their heads. They are reacting to what they want to see--not what makes sense.

+1 :)

The reason I know it is because I have seen them both up close and personal at practice. I agree with the coaches, Gray is a stud but Adam gives us the best chance to win now. We have had some close games and there has been a tremendous amount of pressure on the QB to produce points and make plays. I do not think you want Gray in that situation particularly when you have an Adam Weber already.

Here is a question I have. Is it possibile to not be perfect, to make some mistakes but still be a good if not great player?

+2

I think the majority of people on this site fall somewhere in the middle on Weber. He is a "serviceable" Big Ten QB, nothing more. I agree with the thought that Weber could be better with a better O-line and RB options (but, that's unprovable). Weber, just seems like he has not really progressed since starting as a freshman. Which is too bad, because I really think he has the heart of a lion. Maybe he should go back to the old throwing motion.

While, I don't think we should bench Weber, we MUST get Gray on the field more. So far, what a waste of one year of eligibility.

I'm not sold on Weber but not ready to throw him under the bus either. He reminds me a little of Todd Ellis who was at South Carolina in the mid-late '80's. Started for 4 years, rang up some huge numbers (including interceptions) but never led them to a great year. Someone wrote the following about Ellis (now the Gamecock announcer). Clearly he threw for a ton of yards, and won some games - mostly because he started for 4 years. I really want Weber to step up and win some big games - don't know if its going to happen.

"Yes, Todd Ellis is ranked as the No. 1 career passer in all South Carolina media guides. The "voice of the Gamecocks" certainly has his place in South Carolina history as one of the winningest quarterbacks to play. But his 73 interceptions to 49 TDs drops him on my list. His 9,953 yards is well above the No. 2 passer on the all time list."

Keep in mind how horribly he fell off in the last half of the season as the schedule got tougher.......
He was playing while hurt and had surgery at the end of the season, TE.

countdownclub.jpg

I really want Weber to step up and win some big games - don't know if its going to happen.

Not when the defense gives up 300 yards rushing.

He has not gotten better

People like myself are upset with Weber because he has not gotten any better since his freshman year. He is basically the same player we saw 2 years ago.

He craps himself whenever his first read is gone or he gets any pressure in the pocket.

He also seems to have gotten slower, anyone else notice this?

Last time I looked, there are 21 additional positions on a football team -- you're putting the responsibility of a "significant win" on one position.

BTW, are you really suggesting that Cupito didn't rely pretty heavily on Spaeth and Wainwright in their senior years? Or Pinnix or Barber?

countdownclub.jpg

Last time I looked, there are 21 additional positions on a football team-- you're putting the responsibility of a "significant win" on oneposition.

BTW, are you really suggesting that Cupito didn't rely pretty heavily on Spaeth and Wainwright in their senior years? Or Pinnix or Barber?

countdownclub.jpg

we get it already, if someone played at Mounds View you will stick up for them endlessly. why dont you stick up for other players and positions as much as this when people are critical of them?

Weber is an average BT QB, face it. Gray should get playing time, but Weber is going to have to be the main man this yr. Grey is not ready, and it would not be fair to him, to throw him in now. We have to face the facts, that Weber tries hard and is tough as nails, but he has not matured when it comes to surveying the field and throwing on time. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS FOR AWHILE. When and if the O-line comes around and we can run the ball (we have 2-3 good backs) Weber will be adequate. While good QB's need 3-4 sec. Weber will need 4-6 because of his inability to read his checkdowns, thats just the way it will be. But Grey needs to get some work under fire.

Can someone link to me the anaylis done that Weber's progression abilities haven't improved? I felt like on Saturday Weber gave up on his first read too early sometimes, b/c our receivers were being bumped/slowed down into their routes.

Top Bottom