Another great article from Fringe Bowl Team

GoldInDirt

Section 243, Row 18
Reaction score

Great writer indeed, love the passion, but he would instantly turn into the worst writer in humanity's existence the moment he was hired by the Strib. That news organization is toxic.

As a blogger, he can write what he wants. On payroll, he writes what they want.

As a blogger, he can write what he wants. On payroll, he writes what they want.
Exactly. I love having the freedom to write about the topics I choose, not what the Red Star wants. The Strib is clearly biased towards the pro sports anyway.

As for the article, I'll remind everyone that I'm not predicting a 7-5 season, not yet. That was more an attempt to show what one could expect if I applied the same logic that Buck Bravo over at TDG used, albeit using a better dependent variable. Using last year's Sagarin rating is looking in the rearview while attempting to drive forward; it's not the best indicator of future performance, which TRUST ME, I'll have an article about some time before the season starts.

Exactly. I love having the freedom to write about the topics I choose, not what the Red Star wants. The Strib is clearly biased towards the pro sports anyway.

As for the article, I'll remind everyone that I'm not predicting a 7-5 season, not yet. That was more an attempt to show what one could expect if I applied the same logic that Buck Bravo over at TDG used, albeit using a better dependent variable. Using last year's Sagarin rating is looking in the rearview while attempting to drive forward; it's not the best indicator of future performance, which TRUST ME, I'll have an article about some time before the season starts.

Great article! Well-thought out and consistent.

Excellent blog once more. A never fail. Well worth the money.

MV - you keep this up and your blog will become gospel truth amongst gopher fans.

MV, any plan/thoughts for what you're going to do with your blog during the season? Not too early to start thinking. Maybe a game breakdown sunday or monday? Statistical breakdown during mid week? I really like your use of stats, and you do it in a really unique way. It's something that's not done much, even on a national level. Anyway, just trying to brainstrom some ideas. Love your blog with my morning coffee!

The Star Tribune should seriously put this guy on the payroll. He's making their team look like little leaguers. Great analysis on quality of wins in the last decade and what to expect for 2010. And it's based on good stats, uses graphs and doesn't use opinion! Actually this guy should TEACH journalism at the Star Tribune.

http://fringebowlteam.blogspot.com/2010/04/early-2010-predictions-not-quite.html#more

Agreed...it's embarrassing for the Star Tribune that this guy:

a. Has more cogent reasoning than any of their journalists that write about the Gophers
b. Has (exponentially) more knowledge and insight into the Gophers than any Star Tribune journalists
c. Is not paid to do this, but gets off his duff and consistently updates this blog. IN THE SPRING! I can't believe the infrequency and poor quality of the coverage for something these guys get recompensed. Sometimes I think it is just me having high standards, but then I see what this guy can do for free.
d. Is objective. He clearly likes the Gophers, but he is no Kool-Aid drinker. But he doesn't take cheap shots (like Souhan, et al.) at Brewster either.

I could go on...but it makes my blood boil.

MV, any plan/thoughts for what you're going to do with your blog during the season? Not too early to start thinking. Maybe a game breakdown sunday or monday? Statistical breakdown during mid week? I really like your use of stats, and you do it in a really unique way. It's something that's not done much, even on a national level. Anyway, just trying to brainstrom some ideas. Love your blog with my morning coffee!
I haven't even figured out what I'm going to do for the Spring Game! Can't decide if I should live blog (could be a disaster, I like to drink barley sodas before games) or have a post game write-up later that day. I'll for sure do a stats breakdown during the week before games and have post game write-ups. As for from post-Spring game to Fall practice, I've got a ton of ideas and stuff in the hopper that should keep me busy.

Top Bottom