Another BOOM: Eylijah Stevens from Lafayette

Gophers going to have the best mid-major transfer starting lineup in the country.
PG from William and Mary, SG from Lafayette, SF from George Washington, PF from Northern State (D2) and C from Drake. Watch out horizon, summit and Ohio valley leagues!

Gophers going to have the best mid-major transfer starting lineup in the country.
PG from William and Mary, SG from Lafayette, SF from George Washington, PF from Northern State (D2) and C from Drake. Watch out horizon, summit and Ohio valley leagues!
Coach BJ has a lot of schollies to fill.

And we can confirm Robbins isn't a bum

Yes, only mid-major talent. Mike Smith was totally a below average point guard for Michigan this year. If you ever spent time at a mid-major you won’t add value in the P6.

They could be good Big Ten players. We already know Robbins was a better than average Big Ten talent. If they are just average Big Ten players that brings the Gophs up from last year. Illinois has lost a lot more than us right now - we’ll see.

Last edited:

Robbins was dominate at times this year from a mid-major school.

How's Houston going this year? A mid-Major school.

If we can get a couple solid grad transfers to keep us in a semi-competitive state for next year while allowing Johnson to get a full year and lots of open scholarships in recruiting the high school class, I think this spring recruiting will have gone as well as can be hoped. Cant build forever off of transfers but nice to plug the holes.

If we can get a couple solid grad transfers to keep us in a semi-competitive state for next year while allowing Johnson to get a full year and lots of open scholarships in recruiting the high school class, I think this spring recruiting will have gone as well as can be hoped. Cant build forever off of transfers but nice to plug the holes.
Problem being is that NCCA basketball is changing. It did the one and done and now transfer rules. I wouldn't doubt that they make a couple more changes as well regarding transfers. Its quite possible that we'll be recruiting transfers forever. If someone isn't happy for the silliest reason. He may opt out as perhaps he doesn't want to study as much as basketball his priority not education, coach may get on a player for not working hard and the player doesn't like that and now he wants to go elsewhere and so it goes.

Did I miss that Fox is coming?

Yes, only mid-major talent. Mike Smith was totally a below average point guard for Michigan this year. If you ever spent time at a mid-major you won’t add value in the P6.

They could be very good Big Ten players - Stephens in particular very highly thought of. We already know Robbins was a better than average Big Ten talent. If they are just average Big Ten players that brings the Gophs up from last year. Illinois has lost a lot more than us right now - we’ll see.
I didn’t say they were bad players. It’s going to be quite the job to get this roster to gel unless they are all part of a grander plan. Hopefully he can supplement with some guys that aren’t just 1 year players.

I didn’t say they were bad players. It’s going to be quite the job to get this roster to gel unless they are all part of a grander plan. Hopefully he can supplement with some guys that aren’t just 1 year players.
Agreed, but seems the way it is in many places now. Indiana and Illinois in similar situations, off the top of my head.

Robbins was dominate at times this year from a mid-major school.

How's Houston going this year? A mid-Major school.
So you think Houston’s team is similar to this team? Not all mid-majors are created equal. Gonzaga has a great recruiting class. But Houston and Gonzaga aren’t the island of misfit toys.

good point. We still don't know what style of basketball BJ plans to implement. So far we have gotten commitments from good shooters, albeit at mid to lower tier conferences. 1 PG, 1 G and a F.

The Patriot League should add a fourth Really Far North division for us.

They could be good Big Ten players. We already know Robbins was a better than average Big Ten talent. If they are just average Big Ten players that brings the Gophs up from last year. Illinois has lost a lot more than us right now - we’ll see.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. That said, you could make the case that these transfers all have something to prove by moving to a better conference and we may see them giving their all to prove they belong. Would be good for us if that's the case.

good point. We still don't know what style of basketball BJ plans to implement. So far we have gotten commitments from good shooters, albeit at mid to lower tier conferences. 1 PG, 1 G and a F.
Not a shot at Johnson at all but you could see lineups of 5 guys who haven’t played together before. That can be a challenge. It can work great too. Just need to find a system that works and stick to it. Supplement where you can.
If Robbins and Johnson are back that is two reliable guys. The rest are experienced. Far different from a group of freshman but you only get 1 year with a lot of this roster as it stands now.

Did you think Otis has been too silent and you needed to pick up the slack. You are better than this.

shoots reasonably well and shoots FTs at a very high clip. if he plays D, perfect. also an honor roll guy

Did you think Otis has been too silent and you needed to pick up the slack. You are better than this.
I mean I can’t get into a bunch of solid mid-major players as our roster. As it stands now they’ll be not good and then a lot of these guys will be gone. Is it a good way to build a roster? No. Is it necessary? Maybe. I’d rather get younger guys for a few years. There are so many spots to fill that you’re not hurting your future roster by getting guys with 2-3 years left. Maybe they’ve all said no or just haven’t said yes yet.

I'd love to see a lineup of:
G: Lowe
G: Stevens
G: Kalsheur
F: Battle
C: Robbins

Switch on everything in the perimeter, don't double post ups, spread the opposition. We'd have 2+ ball handlers, and 2 average ball handlers, and all 5 guys could shoot. I'm not saying this team would win a lot of games, but it would start to set the table for the right kind of basketball.

If Fox comes, swap him out for Battle in the starting 5.

I mean I can’t get into a bunch of solid mid-major players as our roster. As it stands now they’ll be not good and then a lot of these guys will be gone. Is it a good way to build a roster? No. Is it necessary? Maybe. I’d rather get younger guys for a few years. There are so many spots to fill that you’re not hurting your future roster by getting guys with 2-3 years left. Maybe they’ve all said no or just haven’t said yes yet.
I’m with ya man, my reaction to these signings is almost nonexistent. Agree though, hope he grabs some youth who can grow in whatever system we build.

All conference mid major usually translate to ok starter or good bench player at the power 6 level.

We don't want a FR class of larger than 2-3. The transfer portal is going to be hot for the next few years because so many people got an extra year (Grad transfers).

I actually think the slow (and correct) play is to not go TOO heavy on FR this year. I'd like BJ's first class to be one he had a whole year to recruit.

Top Bottom