Another BOOM: Eylijah Stevens from Lafayette

I mean I can’t get into a bunch of solid mid-major players as our roster. As it stands now they’ll be not good and then a lot of these guys will be gone. Is it a good way to build a roster? No. Is it necessary? Maybe. I’d rather get younger guys for a few years. There are so many spots to fill that you’re not hurting your future roster by getting guys with 2-3 years left. Maybe they’ve all said no or just haven’t said yes yet.
All these guys were more than solid mid major players, all of them were all conference guys who averaged over 16 a game who will likely be starters or very good bench players at the Big Ten level.

It’s much easier to me to get excited about these guys then someone like Tre Williams, Mitchell, Pohto, Freeman, Mutaf etc. when they committed IMO.

All these guys were more than solid mid major players, all of them were all conference guys who averaged over 16 a game who will likely be starters or very good bench players at the Big Ten level.

It’s much easier to me to get excited about these guys then someone like Tre Williams, Mitchell, Pohto, Freeman, Mutaf etc. when they committed IMO.
I mean yeah I’d take proven commodities over shitty recruits but these guys were solid in far easier conferences. Look at Gach at Utah. Brandon Johnson came from a better conference averaging 15.4ppg. He averaged 8.9 this year. His conference ppg dropped 5.6

I have to admit I find that to be true. Board can be serious at times. You should have posted it with your winking icon instead of your standard icon. Funny to get compared to Otis though right?
New all time low and my wife left me, my dog ran away and I found out I was switched at birth all since lunch (Wink)

Well, sure. You have years of play at the collegiate level vs HS highlights. Not tough.

good point. We still don't know what style of basketball BJ plans to implement. So far we have gotten commitments from good shooters, albeit at mid to lower tier conferences. 1 PG, 1 G and a F.
I expect street ball. ‘Make a play if u can.’

Not a shot at Johnson at all but you could see lineups of 5 guys who haven’t played together before. That can be a challenge. It can work great too. Just need to find a system that works and stick to it. Supplement where you can.
If Robbins and Johnson are back that is two reliable guys. The rest are experienced. Far different from a group of freshman but you only get 1 year with a lot of this roster as it stands now.
I expect the non-conference to be Charmin soft outside of the ACC game, Miss. State and the Big East game if we're in it. Can't blame him under the circumstances.

I mean yeah I’d take proven commodities over shitty recruits but these guys were solid in far easier conferences. Look at Gach at Utah. Brandon Johnson came from a better conference averaging 15.4ppg. He averaged 8.9 this year. His conference ppg dropped 5.6
As did his usage. The ppg doesn't tell the whole story. If Loewe, Battle, and Stephens give us what Johnson gave us last year I'll be quite pleased.

Well yeah, no one ever said they would continue to be all conference at this level or wouldn’t have a significant drop in production.

But Johnson, and Akeem Springs for that matter, were very solid starters and guys like Demir and Malik Smith were starters or decent bench players as well.

To me, that caliber of player is easy to get excited for given we have the requisite pieces elsewhere on the roster.

Also Gach’s drop in production was due to him losing confidence and injury, not due to the new level of competition.

Feel the momentum baby! We're building...Redirecting the energy

If these three new guys play solid defense, that's a good start. Get that established in the first year for sure.

As did his usage. The ppg doesn't tell the whole story. If Loewe, Battle, and Stephens give us what Johnson gave us last year I'll be quite pleased.
And they won’t. Not all of them at least.

I expect the non-conference to be Charmin soft outside of the ACC game, Miss. State and the Big East game if we're in it. Can't blame him under the circumstances.
Not at all. Most teams have super soft non-conference schedules anyway. It isn’t like the Gophers play a murderers road of P6 teams. Can’t remember the last good P6 team they played by choice (non-tournament or challenge)

Not at all. Most teams have super soft non-conference schedules anyway. It isn’t like the Gophers play a murderers road of P6 teams. Can’t remember the last good P6 team they played by choice (non-tournament or challenge)
2019-20 we played Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Utah by choice (and DePaul.)

To quote "Animal House," We need the dudes, man. In other words, this is the start, not the finish, of remaking the roster.

Didn't we just have a home-and-home with Arkansas?

Interesting he only started 3 of 15 games and was their second leading scorer by a good margin

I'd love to see a lineup of:
G: Lowe
G: Stevens
G: Kalsheur
F: Battle
C: Robbins

Switch on everything in the perimeter, don't double post ups, spread the opposition. We'd have 2+ ball handlers, and 2 average ball handlers, and all 5 guys could shoot. I'm not saying this team would win a lot of games, but it would start to set the table for the right kind of basketball.

If Fox comes, swap him out for Battle in the starting 5.
Johnson for Gabe

Interesting he only started 3 of 15 games and was their second leading scorer by a good margin
Look at the minutes played, right around 30 a game. So he wasn't starting but he was coming off the bench early and playing most of the game as those are starters minutes.

I'd love to see a lineup of:
G: Lowe
G: Stevens
G: Kalsheur
F: Battle
C: Robbins

Switch on everything in the perimeter, don't double post ups, spread the opposition. We'd have 2+ ball handlers, and 2 average ball handlers, and all 5 guys could shoot. I'm not saying this team would win a lot of games, but it would start to set the table for the right kind of basketball.

If Fox comes, swap him out for Battle in the starting 5.
With Fox, that team would play some lock down defense. I’m not sure how Battle is on defense.

Maybe that was because we had a ball dominant PG

Top Bottom