Anonymous Players and Staff make unsubstantiated allegations

A lot of "journalists" these days have no formal training in journalism. They're just some dude who likes to write about sports and starts a blog or Twitter page.
Then they are not journalists!

There are many more non-medical doctorate degree holders than medical doctors.

Was Einstein‘s or Oppenheimer’s doctorate degree any less significant than some proctologist’s?
No I don't think so. But when a non medical professional calls themselves "DR" I just think its kinda stupid. But to each their own.

Oh, you mean those that you are making judgements about?
It's tough when the wheel of Karma comes back around to bite you in the [burro]. I've found there are no exceptions and Academics who want to be paid like Rockstars are usually the ones who do the least impressive work.

Sorry, but reading a bunch books and critiquing them is not quite the same as performing a heart transplant.
I feel like you need to read the history of the use of the Dr. designation in higher education.

Being a doctor means you are highly educated in one particular field.

The problem is when a doctor thinks they know everything in every field.

For example my uncle who has a docorate in Theology... 🤪

Technically, an attorney (lawyer who passed the bar) could be referred to with Esquire, or Esq. after their name. Now, a ton of people get this wrong, but you should never refer to yourself as Esquire or even have it on a signature block. You can tell someone is a rube in the legal community if they have it on their signature block.

Additionally, you should never use Mr. or Ms. AND Esquire, you should use one or the other. For example, Mr. Johnnie Cochran (correct) and Johnnie Cochran, Esq. (correct) but Mr. Johnnie Cochran, Esq. (incorrect). Now, while all of this probably seems like pretentious remnants of English common law it is actually for a practical purpose. Keep in mind these traditions started hundreds of years ago and communications with an attorney have always been protected. T

The Esquire title was actually the result of people wanting it crystal clear when they are writing their attorney that the communication is privileged. It's on the envelope and in the writing itself. It's almost like a more formal privileged and confidential footer you see in so many people's emails today.If someone has JD in their title, it means they graduated law school but are not working in a legal capacity (so your communications with them would not be privileged). I've never heard of the convention of calling a lawyer Mr. anymore than calling any other professional Mr.

I know that's probably way more than anyone wanted to know so I'll bring it back to the topic at hand.

This writer is an absolute joke and I believe anyone who gets a PhD that refers to themselves as Dr. sucks. They're almost as bad as chiropractors who use the title.
So scientists and researchers with doctorates should not call themselves doctors?

You all do realize that most physicians use the MD designation, right? They don't use the Dr. prefix.

Uhhh...addressed this in Post 233.

History, tradition, and precedent sometimes outweigh what seems very practical.

Equating "doctor" with "doctorate" is a newer convention...not the former. Just the way it is.

BTW, I go ahead and refer to Nurse Practitioners as "Doctor this or that." No use antagonizing the person with a needle...

Last edited:

You’re missing my point. No one should be given the title of “Doctor of Philosophy”.

The history behind the doctorate and the origins of the word doctor do suggest that a PhD fits. Obviously the word "doctor" in modern times doesn't cover folks outside of the medical field.....so while I agree that PhDs calling themselves "doctors" is a bit silly.....they've earned doctorates.....so that technically makes them "doctors" by archaic terminology.

For further illustration on degrees not really fitting a title....as an accounting major.....I received a Bachelors of Science. Doesn't make me a scientist.....but that's how the degree was categorized based on historic and probably outdated definitions of the word.

The history behind the doctorate and the origins of the word doctor do suggest that a PhD fits. Obviously the word "doctor" in modern times doesn't cover folks outside of the medical field.....so while I agree that PhDs calling themselves "doctors" is a bit silly.....they've earned doctorates.....so that technically makes them "doctors" by archaic terminology.

For further illustration on degrees not really fitting a title....as an accounting major.....I received a Bachelors of Science. Doesn't make me a scientist.....but that's how the degree was categorized based on historic and probably outdated definitions of the word.
You are mixing up the Science part with the level of the degree. It's really bachelors as opposed to a doctorate.

You are mixing up the Science part with the level of the degree. It's really bachelors as opposed to a doctorate.

That's true. I was mostly pointing out that these degree titles don't necessarily make a ton of sense....whereas they probably did at some point.

The term PhD originated in Europe during the 12th century. I know of very few people with either PhDs or MDs (and I know many including my wife) that refer to themselves as "doctor" outside of their professional context.

But like others have said, back to football.

not sure if this has been discussed after the thread derailed into a discussion of academic titles -

but I read the "update" the writer posted on FOS. it included allegations from one additional anonymous player - and unless I've lost my memory - it sounds exactly like the story told by Grant Norton - the player who was the basis for Stahl's last tirade against the program. (Norton claimed he had medical issues but was forced to practice, etc.)

so almost all of these allegations are going back to 2017 and 2018. nothing current.

Hey - I am not the leader of the PJ Fleck fan club. but this whole deal seems to be a rehash of previous allegations driven by a former faculty member and board of regents member who don't like Fleck. this takes beating a dead horse to a new level.

not sure if this has been discussed after the thread derailed into a discussion of academic titles -

but I read the "update" the writer posted on FOS. it included allegations from one additional anonymous player - and unless I've lost my memory - it sounds exactly like the story told by Grant Norton - the player who was the basis for Stahl's last tirade against the program. (Norton claimed he had medical issues but was forced to practice, etc.)

so almost all of these allegations are going back to 2017 and 2018. nothing current.

Hey - I am not the leader of the PJ Fleck fan club. but this whole deal seems to be a rehash of previous allegations driven by a former faculty member and board of regents member who don't like Fleck. this takes beating a dead horse to a new level.
Agree that all of this seems to go back to 2017-18 and is almost certainly being driven by Stahl and his group. Probably why they are all staying anonymous because if they weren't then everyone would see it is the same people who have already tried this before and failed miserably.

Remember when this thread was about PJ Fleck and Gophers football?

Yeah, that was great!
I mean for a multi page thread on gopherhole this one has actually stayed mostly on topic....far better than most threads that don't even resemble the title after about page 2.

All of life’s wisdom can be found in Hollywood blockbusters. Not sure if Jedi “Doctors” squabble with Jedi Masters on the internet. Amateurs.

No I don't think so. But when a non medical professional calls themselves "DR" I just think its kinda stupid. But to each their own.
University professors commonly used the title Dr. as well as many other professions. It is not being pretentious, just a quick way to show level of accomplishment and credibility. Many PhD’s are much more difficult to obtain than a MD.

Pssst..... you're awfully defensive. It's almost like I touched a nerve.
No, just pointing out that you were making judgements in your comment about others making judgements, how ironic.

Not always….Dr. Mike Tyson has a PhD but wanted an MD.

”He tells of being given an honorary doctorate by Ohio's Central State University, where, while delivering the commencement speech, he looks out among the crowd and states, “I don't know what kind of doctor I am, but watching all these beautiful sisters here, I'm debating whether I should be a gynecologist.” That must have been a special moment for everyone in attendance.”

Top Bottom