Anonymous Players and Staff make unsubstantiated allegations

Being a doctor means you are highly educated in one particular field.

The problem is when a doctor thinks they know everything in every field.

For example my uncle who has a docorate in Theology... 🤪
I have an earned academic doctorate. What it taught me is that none of us really know all that much about anything. Even in my field there is plenty that I don't know. My schooling did teach me to be humble about what I think I know, and to be very aware of what I don't know. Your uncle sounds like a "know it all," which is exactly the opposite of how I believe that people with a doctorate should present themselves.

Last edited:

I have an earned academic doctorate. What it taught me is that none of us really know all that much about anything. Even in my field there is plenty that I don't know. My scholing did teach me to be humble about what I think I know, and to be very aware of what I don't know. Your uncle sounds like a "know it all," which is exactly the opposite of how I believe that people with a doctorate should present themselves.
I know a ton of doctors of social media!

No, just pointing out that you were making judgements in your comment about others making judgements, how ironic.
My point is they hide behind a shield of "academic integrity" which is, at the very least, a fallacy. It's just another code for "you're not like us".

How is an observation, based on actual experience during my undergraduate years, a judgement? I've had decades of familial anecdotes justified as viable by the actions and words of staff, administrators and educators. I've heard, in person, educators state that athletics should not be at an academic institution. You're not dealing with an uninformed person here.

UMN seems to believe they should only take funds from the State of Minnesota, which is an ever-dwindling stream of funding. The greatest academic advances that came from UMN was from the 1920s through the 1960s when UMN had a vibrant athletic department. External funds supplemented and complemented state funding.

The very idea that athletics do not belong at a state institution only serves to constrain and starve funds available to the institution. Academics just don't like being on the smaller side of economies of scale. They would rather take zero dollars than a random percentage that would generated by athletic dollars. If athletic dollars come in at, say $100 million and that is associated with an additional 10% available to academic programs, then the administration prefers zero to $10 million.

This mentality gives us a psychology department where secretaries/receptionists prescribe experimental medications without any training or oversight, faculty members sexually harassing people, faculty mismanaging expenses and researchers submitting false data to research programs. This doesn't even cover the moral injury that social science and liberal arts programs do when sending half-prepared students out in to the community.

No, the Academics at UMN follow a toxic "cut off your nose to spite your face" philosophy because they cannot handle the reality of the non-academic world valuing things other than their work at a higher level than they think it deserves. This festering bitterness and jealousy at the economic unfairness plunges them further into the sewage of being unacceptable, rather than extricating themselves from it.

I have an earned academic doctorate. What it taught me is that none of us really know all that much about anything. Even in my field there is plenty that I don't know. My schooling did teach me to be humble about what I think I know, and to be very aware of what I don't know. Your uncle sounds like a "know it all," which is exactly the opposite of how I believe that people with a doctorate should present themselves.
With intelligent people, the bolded is very true. The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. It's the Dunning-Kruger effect playing out in academia.

That said, I think most people who want to be referred to by that title are probably similar to his uncle. I'll take your word that your humility was at least partially cultivated by your studies, but I'd guess it probably has a lot more to do with who you are as a person. IMO, higher education is absolutely full of snobbery.

There is an instinct for many of these people to essentially say "I'm right and you're wrong because of my resume". I think we are also seeing an oversaturation of people receiving higher education degrees. It's watered down and often times non-functional to the point we've created an almost Orwellian class of snobby service industry workers. The hayseed plumber is getting sick of the Dr. Barista snarkily correcting them for not referring to the "large" as a "venti".

The over-saturation issue also stands alone. It feels like the line between a Ufologist and many doctors is becoming thinner and thinner. If I said "my dog needs to stop humping my leg", I'd have to sit through a "well actually" from some idiot quoting a study done by a Canine Sexuality Expert who could break down the dangers of enforcing heteronormative bias on our pets.

I'm fairly sure social media turned us into a bunch of self assured douches who flock to electronic echo chambers and absolutely have to double down on how right we are and how wrong the other guy is in irrelevant internet fights only intended to reinforce our own arrogance and create zero opportunities for introspection and a chance to grow by seeing our beliefs may in fact not be wholly correct.

HOW'S THAT FOR PHILOSOPHICAL ACADEMIA?!? 🤣

I know we all know this story is BS, and want this nonsense to end. But I was away for a few days with no cell coverage and wanted to drop in and see if there were any updates, or news that the hack known as AJ Perez promised. So far, not much (unless I'm missing something). I couldn't find much out on the internet but this clunky, awkward interview on NewsNation Prime's Facebook page from last night. It seems that NNP and Natasha Zouves have been duped into believing this is a story...they even lead in with the Northwestern story to make it more biting. Plus lots of blunders - at one point she believes PJ Fleck has been fired. Nice homework, Natasha.
This hack keeps repeating himself and doesn't provide any details or evidence. AJ Perez is a nervous, rambling idiot. I had to laugh when he posted on this Twitter about getting prepped for the interview...There is virtually zero activity or reactions to his post. I think his nervousness is a sign he is being exposed as a fraud right before our eyes.

Here's a link to the interview:

Here’s another tear down of the article by Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports and Pat Forde of SI. You need to go to about the 25 minute mark to hear their comments about Minnesota.

Here’s another tear down of the article by Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports and Pat Forde of SI. You need to go to about the 25 minute mark to hear their comments about Minnesota.
Wetzel has it mostly right. I'd disagree with his assessment that this is "bad" for Minnesota and Fleck/staff will have a difficult time mending relationships with players and parents.

Its such a non story that I'm guessing they won't have to do shit

Bumping this for a new tidbit of news:

in the new "Gopher Gridiron Radio" podcast, Ryan Burns and Luke Buer discussed this story briefly.

Burns said that according to his sources, Jason Stahl contacted 10 different media outlets trying to drum up interest in his 'expose' until he got the people at Front Office Sports to bite.

in the new "Gopher Gridiron Radio" podcast, Ryan Burns and Luke Buer discussed this story briefly.

Burns said that according to his sources, Jason Stahl contacted 10 different media outlets trying to drum up interest in his 'expose' until he got the people at Front Office Sports to bite.
What a sad and pathetic life if true

Jason Stahl is clearly a legend in his own mind, and is completely clueless as to why the U of M let him go. What a POS.

Top Bottom