Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

Some feel he isn't qualified. Personally, I don't think ryan should be the reason this can't be worked out. Ryan has experience scouting and using advanced stats to judge opponents. There's room on a college staff for someone with that knowledge. And he knows what it's like playing for the U and can relate to the players. Could there be more qualified applicants for a spot on the staff? Sure. Should it keep Flip from getting the job? No, IMO.

YEP, what he said.

After Saul - I do. There are literally HUNDREDS of kids who can crunch stats at the U. As an engineering grad I can absolutely testify to that. They don't have to be the coaches son and eat a salary that can go to a real coach.

It shouldn't have derailed the hire - that I agree with - Flip should have seen the wisdom of how bad the optics were [more crony U] and not even ask. If he wants to pay the kid out of his $$$ do it.
John Thompson III, Tony Bennett, Brian Dutcher, Richard Pitino, Chris Collins, Scott Drew, Bryce Drew, ect, ect, ect.

Listen, I understand that the Blue Bloods are hard to compete with. But you're being awfully definitive. They're not coming here?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

Tell that to Arkansas. Tell that to UTEP. Tell that to LSU. Tell that to Wake Forest who has the #21 recruit in the 2014 class committed. Of course it's going to be a battle, but entirely writing off three high-level recruits who grew up in the U's backyard is not a good way to go about building a program.

Dear lord Kentucky's recruiting class is unreal.

I agree with this. It shows possible recruits exactly what their future could be.

"Hi, my name is Ryan Saunders, and I am here to talk to you today about the possibility of your playing for MY DAD ...

Ya - right. When the kid could go play for coach K instead.

Listen, I understand that the Blue Bloods are hard to compete with. But you're being awfully definitive. They're not coming here?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

Tell that to Arkansas. Tell that to UTEP. Tell that to LSU. Tell that to Wake Forest who has the #21 recruit in the 2014 class committed. Of course it's going to be a battle, but entirely writing off three high-level recruits who grew up in the U's backyard is not a good way to go about building a program.

I believe that those players WANT to stay home, but simply have not been given enough of a reason to stay home. They also want to win.

A Flip hire, imo, would increase our chances of getting 2 of the 3, if not all 3, a GREAT deal.

Ya - right. When the kid could go play for coach K instead.

Oh, why even try then?! Lets all just pack up shop. It's hopeless. NO ONE can compete with Coach K, and we all know Coach K can recruit all 100 of the Top 100 recruits in the nation, EVERY year, right?

Silly Rabbit.

Dear lord Kentucky's recruiting class is unreal.

Yeah, I am really not looking forward to it. To be fair, this year's class of #1, #13, #15, and #40 did get knocked out in the first round of the NIT. Unfortunately I don't see that happening two years in a row.

They're definitely going to win the NIT next year.

Yeah, I am really not looking forward to it. To be fair, this year's class of #1, #13, #15, and #40 did get knocked out in the first round of the NIT. Unfortunately I don't see that happening two years in a row.

They're definitely going to win the NIT next year.

The one-and-done model certainly has holes in it. They benefited last year from the NBA lockout.

Oh, why even try then?! Lets all just pack up shop. It's hopeless. NO ONE can compete with Coach K, and we all know Coach K can recruit all 100 of the Top 100 recruits in the nation, EVERY year, right?

Silly Rabbit.

That is my point - don't try to cater to a couple kids... BUILD AN EFFING SOLID PROGRAM... then the kids come from all over. This is totally bassakward.

If Flip wants the job make the case for how he plans to build the program over the next 5-10 years - including assistants. Not just the BS about bringing back BS warm up routines from before Reagan was president. It isn't the 1970s anymore.

Seriously - after Saul - do it again - you have to be kidding?

I can understand oldtimers defending the has been legend but also defending his kid?

If Flip really wanted the job and wanted to do best for the U - not his kids, not his friends, not the Timberwolves - he would have agreed to hire the best available college assistants he could find and would have been happy to have 'input' from others. He didn't do that. Thank God Teague didn't cave.

So, why does Saul=Ryan? Anybody who coaches on their dad's staff is automatically Saul?

As to saying that Flip should agree to "hire the best available college assistants he can find", I'm fine with that provided all other candidates are asked to do the same thing. However, I'm guessing that whomever eventually accepts the job will bring in who he feels comfortable bringing in.

If Teague has a policy against nepotism(as many companies do) he has to stick with it. Can't decide these issues on a case by case basis. If Flip doesn't want the job without his son, he doesn't want the job.

If I'm Teague I weigh the consequences each way. If I allow it what am I left with, and if I don't what am I left with. If he has to settle for his 8th choice instead of his 3rd (hypothetical) then was it worth it? We aren't talking about a random position with some run of the mill company. This hire could impact his long term job status.

There is no evidence of that. Not by their stated interests. That's just homer wishful thinking. But hey its a free country - you are free to your opinions. Everyone has one.

Adam Boone transferred HOME to Minny. Humphries did, too. We get more Minnesotans staying home than leaving when we have a good team for them to play on.

SOME players want to get away from home. But the majority of Minnesota boys want to stay home so their friends and family can go see them play, and so that they can play for the home team.

You can say I'm being a wishful homer, but all of those guys had Minnesota on their Top candidates lists for a reason. Maybe it was just so that their home school could save some face, maybe it was because they had friends who were Gopher fans and it was a way to keep them from being mad at them, but I have met too many Minnesotans in my time to believe that none of them are proud of their state.

Does it really matter ....

If flip wants to hire his kid!!! Who cares!!!!! I could give a rip if he wants to hire his wife... It's basketball. The head coach drives the train.....

OMG... Can the univ of minn do anything the right way?

If I'm Teague I weigh the consequences each way. If I allow it what am I left with, and if I don't what am I left with. If he has to settle for his 8th choice instead of his 3rd (hypothetical) then was it worth it? We aren't talking about a random position with some run of the mill company. This hire could impact his long term job status.

So you're saying decide it on a case by case basis? If Flip wants the job he should take it.

That is my point - don't try to cater to a couple kids... BUILD AN EFFING SOLID PROGRAM... then the kids come from all over. This is totally bassakward.

If Flip wants the job make the case for how he plans to build the program over the next 5-10 years - including assistants. Not just the BS about bringing back BS warm up routines from before Reagan was president. It isn't the 1970s anymore.

What a stupid remark. What evidence do you have that is what Flip would do?! Give me a break.

And I'm not saying to cater to a couple kids. I think Flip is a great coach. I believe he could do a great job of recruiting, especially local kids. I think he'd bring in tons of money for the new Practice Facility, which would in turn help with recruiting and retaining our players. I think he'd win over the press and the whole state, so the fan base would grow.

These are ALL positives, that would bring about their own long term positive effects, that would make it easier to get top notch assistants and top notch coaches if the Head Coaching position came open again.

And what if grooming Ryan for a future in college coaching, brings about a situation where we are looking for a top notch coach again in 25 years, and Ryan is kicking ash somewhere and is eager to come back home, and all because of this move made now, of hiring his father with him on his staff.

That kind of thinking worked wonders for our football program back in the day, and it also did wonders for our hockey program as well, AND our baseball program, and a few other sports where UMn grads have come back home to coach the Gophers.

If flip wants to hire his kid!!! Who cares!!!!! I could give a rip if he wants to hire his wife... It's basketball. The head coach drives the train.....

OMG... Can the univ of minn do anything the right way?

I'm with you man. It's frustrating. We can, AND DO fukc up wet dreams apparently.

What a stupid remark. What evidence do you have that is what Flip would do?! Give me a break.

And I'm not saying to cater to a couple kids. I think Flip is a great coach. I believe he could do a great job of recruiting, especially local kids. I think he'd bring in tons of money for the new Practice Facility, which would in turn help with recruiting and retaining our players. I think he'd win over the press and the whole state, so the fan base would grow.

These are ALL positives, that would bring about their own long term positive effects, that would make it easier to get top notch assistants and top notch coaches if the Head Coaching position came open again.

And what if grooming Ryan for a future in college coaching, brings about a situation where we are looking for a top notch coach again in 25 years, and Ryan is kicking ash somewhere and is eager to come back home, and all because of this move made now, of hiring his father with him on his staff.

That kind of thinking worked wonders for our football program back in the day, and it also did wonders for our hockey program as well, AND our baseball program, and a few other sports where UMn grads have come back home to coach the Gophers.

1. His job HERE is NOT to groom Ryan - his job HERE would be to build the U's program. Not make a cushy nest for his kid or friends.

2. He has said he would do things like bring back the 'Globetrotter' warm up routine... said that on radio, make the barn fun again. WTF fun for 70 year olds maybe.

He could have been relevant - Teague gave him the chance to make a case for it - he didn't rise to that standard. Not if the killer was a job for his son. Crony hardly describes it.

So you're saying decide it on a case by case basis? If Flip wants the job he should take it.

Yes. Circumstances are always different with each case. I agree that if Flip is dead set on this job he should take it regardless.

Ryan Saunders enters his fourth season as an assistant coach with the Washington Wizards.

Saunders is instrumental in assisting with the preparation for upcoming opponents with extensive scouting reports and statistical analysis. Saunders came to the Wizards after spending a year coaching under Tubby Smith at the University of Minnesota, where he helped the Golden Gophers to an NCAA Tournament appearance. In addition to his on-court work, he helped players with their academic and social development off the court.

Before moving to the sidelines, Saunders played four seasons at Minnesota, where he was a two-time team captain, four-time scholar athlete award winner and 2006 Big Ten All-Academic selection. He earned his bachelor’s degree in sport management and is currently pursuing his master’s degree in applied kinesiology.

With his expertise in statistical analysis, Saunders helped developed Gametime Concepts, a statistics program used by various NBA and NCAA basketball teams. Saunders is involved with various youth basketball camps and charitable organizations in Minnesota.

So this guy has already been an asst. coach at MN for a year, played at MN for 4 years, was selected a team captain not once, but twice, was a 4 time scholar athlete and all academic Big Ten, but not good enough to be an asst. at MN? I copied this from NBA.com. That is pretty interesting. I gotta think it had to be more than just Ryan. I have confidence in Teague and Ellis and I like Kaler and Teague, I think Kaler is way better than what we've had in the past and I think Teague is as well. I'm not worried in the least, this Basketball program is way better with Teague than Maturi. Pretty funny to read all the panic though. Like has been said before, what matters is 2 years from now, not 2 days from now.

So, why does Saul=Ryan? Anybody who coaches on their dad's staff is automatically Saul?

Pretty close. Show me examples where it wasn't the case? There are sons of great coaches who also become good coaches but invariably they do it on their own. Given the situation coming off the last staff - Teague is being more than reasonable. Flip is showing bad judgement to have not seen that.

Like I said - if he wants to funnel money into his kid - hire him as his personal assistant. Not on U payroll. Not much Teague could do.

Why didn't he do that?

Ryan Saunders enters his fourth season as an assistant coach with the Washington Wizards.

Saunders is instrumental in assisting with the preparation for upcoming opponents with extensive scouting reports and statistical analysis.\

A scout on a perpetually losing team. Not exactly a stellar resume.

[EDIT - oh ya and 'charity']

You are making too much sense, and confusing people with facts. lol

How did he make sense? There wasn't any stealing going on. We got Humphries only because Duke didn't want him anymore. The Gophers were always plan B for Humphries. Common knowledge.

Yes. Circumstances are always different with each case. I agree that if Flip is dead set on this job he should take it regardless.

Then Flip pay his kid as a 'personal consultant' out of Flips take - do that a couple years and make the case for his value - the administration would soften. If the program doesn't improve - or the case can't be made - then well they'll both be gone anyway.

How did he make sense? There wasn't any stealing going on. We got Humphries only because Duke didn't want him anymore. The Gophers were always plan B for Humphries. Common knowledge.

Yup.

1. His job HERE is NOT to groom Ryan - his job HERE would be to build the U's program. Not make a cushy nest for his kid or friends.

2. He has said he would do things like bring back the 'Globetrotter' warm up routine... said that on radio, make the barn fun again. WTF fun for 70 year olds maybe.

He could have been relevant - Teague gave him the chance to make a case for it - he didn't rise to that standard. Not if the killer was a job for his son. Crony hardly describes it.

I haven't heard that, but what would be wrong with making games more fun?!

Have you ever been to a Globetrotter game? We have Dunk contests, because cbb fans LOVE seeing incredible bb skills being displayed. And guess what, it all just might make the players better.

And you are FALSELY assuming that Ryan wouldn't do a very good job.

And I wasn't talking about Flip grooming his son, I was talking about a GOPHER COACH grooming a FORMER GOPHER, to be a coach.

It's called a Coaching Tree. UMn has an incredible history in this regard, IN THE PAST,

But then Solem had a bad run in fb and every since Gopher fans CRINGE at the idea of an alum being our coach.

And where has it gotten us?!

By not cultivating our alumni to go out into the world and give back to the U, what we find is one of the largest universities in the nation bringing in one of the smallest per capita alumni donations of any school out there. At least that is the condition the school was in back in the late 90s.

Top Bottom