Andre McDonald- Pull His Offer

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
I am curious as to why Coach Kill has not pulled Andre McDonald's offer. McDonald pledged to Minnesota after being warned by the staff not to commit unless he was serious. He is now visiting one of our arch rivals.

Kirk Ferentz built a legacy turning 2-star quality or less into NFL dynamo. Ferentz does not put up with kids pussyfooting with his program. Jerry Kill has the same mindset- take the kid with potential and a willingness to work his butt off and make progress each year. Kill needs to take a stand. The class is filling up fast. Turn McDonald loose to sign with Iowa, Ohio State, who cares.

We didn't beat Iowa last year because of 4-star talent. We won because we played our guts out. Ferentz has never beaten us because of 4-star talent but because Iowa played their guts out.

You don't pull a four star's offer unless he rapes or kills someone.

Maybe in the future after many successful seasons Kill could do this. However, the program is not at a place where he can do this at this time and risk alienating high school coaches here. Once kids are begging for a gopher offer, maybe. The program is not there yet.

Maybe in the future after many successful seasons Kill could do this. However, the program is not at a place where he can do this at this time and risk alienating high school coaches here. Once kids are begging for a gopher offer, maybe. The program is not there yet.

I have to take issue with this. Alienating coaches? McDonald went back on his word. All bets are off.

Ferentz built a dynamic program with the likes of Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, and Chad Greenway, none of whom carried BCS offers. We don't need 4-stars. We need kids with a chip on their shoulder and coaches capable of making them into something.

How many 4-stars did Northern Illinois have when they kicked our asses last year.

If that is the first impression that you think Kill should make with a high school coach by pulling a kids offer because he is indecisive like most 18 year olds. Knock yourself out. On the other point, you give me a team of 4 stars and I will beat your 2 and 3 star talent much more than I lose to it and the data is there to prove it.

I think it is fair to tell Andre that I am not pulling his offer, but his spot is up for grabs and if someone else we are recruiting commits, then his spot his gone.

I wouldn't pull his offer. If he was doing this in December/January then that would put us in a really tough spot but it is still July, and I think he he made an honest mistake in committing before he truly knew he wanted to be here.

I hope he sees everything we have to offer and firms up his commitment, but you never know.

You don't pull the offer, but you make it pretty clear that you're not holding that spot for him either. Anyone that's played cards should be familiar with "card laid, card played." That card hits the table, that's it. You make your move in chess and take your hand off the piece, there's no "backsies". It'd be nice if a "commitment" could be taken literally, whether it's a kid coming here or choosing to come here after "commiting" elsewhere.

He didn't make a mistake. He knew he wanted to be here. Then Ohio State offered.:rolleyes:

He didn't make a mistake. He knew he wanted to be here. Then Ohio State offered.:rolleyes:

That doesn't explain his upcoming/planned visit to Iowa, though. He had an Iowa offer when he committed to us the first time around.

How dare he explore his options.

This makes no sense at all. He should explore his options but when he gives his word, he should stick with it. No one has blamed Pirsig or Will Johnson for exploring their options to see where they think they should go. No one has any issue with these kids trying to decide what is in their best interest.

The reason why everyone has an issue with McDonald is because he wasn't forced to commit to MN, he already had an offer from Iowa, and he went back on his word (the current staff really stresses to these kids to make sure this is where they want to be). Lets not make this into a thing where all of us are expecting him to blindly choose the U, we are simply annoyed that he hasn't been a man of his word.

That said, he's young and is acting immaturely (either by committing too early or looking around after he has committed). I am not going to blast the kid because I would have hated to be judged by my decisions at 17/18. However, the U shouldn't hold his spot for an overly long time. I wouldn't pull the offer, but I wouldn't hold his spot either.

+10. When you're a new coach and you have the possiblity of landing a 4 star standout MN kid.... you give him some leeway. Don't just yank the offer because a 17 year old kid wants to be able to take a few free trips. The idiocy of this really boggles my mind. People, he'll be a Gopher, if not, he'll regret leaving, but I would be very surprised if he goes to a Rival and only tO$U could pull him away from us...... he doesn't want to go there right now, he has to know that.

If you accept a job offer, and are still going on interviews, your prospective employer may well pull their offer if they find out. It's just a question of whether it benefits the U, I'm not sure we have the leverage.

You don't pull a four star's offer unless he rapes or kills someone.

+10. When you're a new coach and you have the possiblity of landing a 4 star standout MN kid.... you give him some leeway. Don't just yank the offer because a 17 year old kid wants to be able to take a few free trips. The idiocy of this really boggles my mind. People, he'll be a Gopher, if not, he'll regret leaving, but I would be very surprised if he goes to a Rival and only tO$U could pull him away from us...... he doesn't want to go there right now, he has to know that.

Handsome Pete, Why are you so butthurt that he is simply looking around? Let me guess you were never indecisive at that age, for instance you never changed your major or anything like that when you were a teen or in college. The gophers simply have zero leverage to be playin hard ball. I wouldn't expect the U to stop recruiting other athletes but also wouldn't pull the offer. I also hope you guys get mad at Kill then if he ever pulls an offer or continues to recruit a kid that has committed elsewhere. After all we wouldn't want him to try and break a kid's commitment.

I agree, pull the offer. Being the perennial powerhouse football program that we are, going to BCS bowls year in and year out, and where 10 wins is considered a disappointment, we can totally afford to pull the offer of what would be our highest rated recruit if he were to commit, based on sheer idealism, seeing as another 4 or 5 star guy will likely just fall into our lap.

[/SARCASM]

Seeing this post almost made me think I had gone to an Ohio State forum by mistake, pulling the offer of a 4 star recruit just based on idealism and the fact that he wasn't "fully committed," but then I remembered that Ohio State has no ideals, so that couldn't have been it.

Handsome Pete, Why are you so butthurt that he is simply looking around? Let me guess you were never indecisive at that age, for instance you never changed your major or anything like that when you were a teen or in college. The gophers simply have zero leverage to be playin hard ball. I wouldn't expect the U to stop recruiting other athletes but also wouldn't pull the offer. I also hope you guys get mad at Kill then if he ever pulls an offer or continues to recruit a kid that has committed elsewhere. After all we wouldn't want him to try and break a kid's commitment.

Butthurt is funny because you read it somewhere and liked it.

McDonald didn't have to commit. He is a mediocre player a la Bryce McNeal making an asshole of my alma mater. I think Kill should pull his offer because we don't need him. If you think we need him, please see above re: Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, and Chad Greenway.

Damn that Keanon Cooper and Kim Royston. They had no business changing their minds and coming to Minnesota.

Kill isn't going to be an idiot and pull his offer.

Damn that Keanon Cooper and Kim Royston. They had no business changing their minds and coming to Minnesota.

Kill isn't going to be an idiot and pull his offer.

If you reminisce for the Brewster era, then more power to you.

Butthurt is funny because you read it somewhere and liked it.

McDonald didn't have to commit. He is a mediocre player a la Bryce McNeal making an asshole of my alma mater. I think Kill should pull his offer because we don't need him. If you think we need him, please see above re: Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, and Chad
Greenway.

Congrats on being able to name a few guys who were not highly ranked out of high school that did good. I can name thousands more lowly ranked players out of high school that did nothing. A team of highly ranked kids will beat your lowly ranked players almost all of the time. If McDonald is mediocre to begin with or overrated, why would you want him to keep his committment? You should be jumping for joy at not having to possibly waste a scholarship on a kid who will never do anything.

Fantasy phantom four and five star high school football recruiting fisticuffs by the

the foolish fantasy four and five star high school recruiting groupies who argue whether a Big Ten Coach should pull a scholarship offer on one of those phantom fantasy four star high school recruits...is SO incredibly laughable. Go play your fantasy video games instead of trying to tell a Big Ten football coach how he should run his real Big Ten Football program.

Let the coach coach...let the players play...and quit being such foolish fantasy four star drama kings or queens, which ever your individual cases may dictate. You people are NOT the coach. You don't know what the coach should or shouldn't do. Only the Coach knows what the coach should do about this situation. None of you know what Coach Kill thinks about the situation. You all try to project yourselves into his head and think that YOU know better than HIM.

And, the phantom fantasy four star high school football recruit...how do any of you know what his thoughts are...his process is...what his family wants him to do??????

Who knows where the kid will go...if the kid will be a player who makes as big an impact in college as he has made in high school? Until a kid enrolls in college and is on the team for two or three years you just don't know what will happen. Neither does the Coach. Neither does the kid. Even the fantasy high school football recruiting ranker who charges you to see how many fantasy stars he will rank this kid with doesn't know if the kid will succeed in college ball.

Fantasy phantom four star high school football recruit following by fans of a college team is just SO lame... ; 0 )

Now, I think it's high time for you boys and girls to start assigning each other fantasy star rankings for your expertise and devotion to thinking you know what Coach Kill should do with a fantasy four star recruit who not so surprisingly does what a lot of fantasy four star high school football recruits do. This is just a part of the whole fantasy four and five star experience. Hell, you can't expect a fantasy four star high school recruit to act as graciously about a scholarship offer as a fantasy two or three star high school football recruit can you????? Just remember this is all just a part of the fantasy four star experience that all of you seem to crave. Seems like much ado about nothing to me...

Congrats on being able to name a few guys who were not highly ranked out of high school that did good. I can name thousands more lowly ranked players out of high school that did nothing. A team of highly ranked kids will beat your lowly ranked players almost all of the time. If McDonald is mediocre to begin with or overrated, why would you want him to keep his committment? You should be jumping for joy at not having to possibly waste a scholarship on a kid who will never do anything.

I do not want McDonald to keep his commitment. I want him to leave, permanently. And the NFL legacy of Kirk Ferentz goes far deeper than the three I name here. See my prior thread. That can, and will, be Jerry Kill's legacy.

the foolish fantasy four and five star high school recruiting groupies who argue whether a Big Ten Coach should pull a scholarship offer on one of those phantom fantasy four star high school recruit...is SO incredibly laughable. Go play your fantasy video games instead of trying to tell a Big Ten football coach how he should run his program.

Let the coach coach...let the players play...and quit being such foolish people. You people are NOT the coach. You don't know what the coach should or shouldn't do. Only the Coach knows what the coach should do.

Who knows where the kid will go...if the kid will be a player...or just what will happen? Until a kid enrolls in school and is on the team for two or three years you just don't know what will happen. Neither does the Coach. Neither does the kid. Even the fantasy high school football recruiting ranker who charges you to see how many fantasy stars he will rank this kid with doesn't know if the kid will succeed in college ball.

This has gone too far...

Now, I think it's high time for you boys and girls to start assigning each other fantasy star rankings for your expertise and devotion to thinking you know what Coach Kill should do with a fantasy four star recruit who not so surprisingly does what a lot of fantasy four star high school football recruits do. This is just a part of the whole fantasy four and five star experience. Hell, you can't expect a fantasy four star high school recruit to act as greatful about a scholarship offer as and fantasy two or three star can you????? Just remember this is all just a part of the fantasy four star experience that all of you seem to crave. Seems like much ado about nothing to me...

; 0 )

When are you going to put your name back on the website and take accountability for your actions?

Andre Anthem

Receiver is now the en-vouge position. Just look at the last two Superbowl winners, Saints and the Packers. Both had great receiving cores. (NO-Colston, Devery Henderson, Robert Meachem GB-Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones).

This guy is good and will play starting his freshman year. If he (re)-commits I am going to blast this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG_qcud1ShM

You don't know what the coach should or shouldn't do.

People are offering their opinions, get over it. Not every opinion will mesh with yours. But I'm sure that won't stop you.

Until a kid enrolls in college and is on the team for two or three years you just don't know what will happen. Neither does the Coach. Neither does the kid. Even the fantasy high school football recruiting ranker who charges you to see how many fantasy stars he will rank this kid with doesn't know if the kid will succeed in college ball.

Great! Following your own logic, you surrender your right to offer any opinion on Coach Kill or President Kaler for at least 2 years, maybe 3. And when the new AD is named, you surrender your right to offer any opinion on him/her. Whew...that's a load off my mind.

Top Bottom