Andre Ingram is a Gopher

Al Nolen (G) left - Replaced with Andre Hollins (G)
Blake Hoffarber (G) left - Replaced with Joe Coleman (G)
Devoe Joseph (G) left - Replaced with Julian Welch (G)
Colton Iverson (F) left - Replaced with Andre Ingram (F)

I am sensing a pattern here ...

Just because he can shoot outside doesn't make him a wing.

And, just because he's 6-9 doesn't make him a PF.

There's a reason the coaches wanted another PF. At best, you could call Oto a combo forward, a tweener who is too skinny to play the 4 on an every possession basis in the Big Ten. The good news is he definitely runs and jumps like a SF and shoots it like a SG. I think we'll see Oto playing the wing, and probably playing the wing very well. I don't think he will be a Big Ten banger-type who will post people up and get you 9 rebounds a night in the paint. But, he might drop six 3pt baskets on you.

And, just because he's 6-9 doesn't make him a PF.

There's a reason the coaches wanted another PF. At best, you could call Oto a combo forward, a tweener who is too skinny to play the 4 on an every possession basis in the Big Ten. The good news is he definitely runs and jumps like a SF and shoots it like a SG. I think we'll see Oto playing the wing, and probably playing the wing very well. I don't think he will be a Big Ten banger-type who will post people up and get you 9 rebounds a night in the paint. But, he might drop six 3pt baskets on you.

Oto will not see enough minutes to drop 6 3pt on anyone.

why do beleive he is some great player? because Tubby said he is the best player in practice? Probably 97% of the people on this board have never even seen him play.

Probably true. I admit, six might be a bit enthusiastic.

why do beleive he is some great player?

Where did I say he was some great player? I said I think he will play the wing 'very well.' That is open for debate, but I think he'll get 12-16 minutes per game and be fine. He has a nice skill set. That doesn't mean I think he's the pending Player of the Year in the Big Ten or anything.

Probably 97% of the people on this board have never even seen him play.

Are you one of the 3% of people to have seen him play? Otherwise, how can you be so sure yourself he won't get enough minutes to drop a few 3pt shots in a game?

Gives them an experienced inside player that will be needed two years from now and evens out the scholerships to 3 each in 2012 and 2013.

why do beleive he is some great player? because Tubby said he is the best player in practice? Probably 97% of the people on this board have never even seen him play.

I do trust Tubby's eye some, and when he talks of specifically Oto and Eliason, you can tell he's excited to get them on the floor. That tells me they will both seem some minutes out there. I don't think anyone's ever referred to Oto as "great", but hearing he can shoot well excites people because that is a trait of big need on this team, is it not? That alone will probably net him more minutes.

From the article:

"Bargen said Ingram was pursued by Duquesne, Green Bay, Milwaukee, South Dakota, North Dakota, Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois and Illinois State before he committed to the Gophers during an official visit."

A very Monson like list. Hopefully Tubby sees something others BCS coaches don't.

How are we going to find enough minutes for all the future NBA stars on this roster???

From the article:

"Bargen said Ingram was pursued by Duquesne, Green Bay, Milwaukee, South Dakota, North Dakota, Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois and Illinois State before he committed to the Gophers during an official visit."

A very Monson like list. Hopefully Tubby sees something others BCS coaches don't.

He is from MN which makes him appealing to the Gophers, IMO, and he fits Tubby's system perfectly and is a viable replacement for Trevor after this season.

I like the addition of Ingram, but I would add Dom Dawson at PF. He has the body / strength of a PF and he improved enough last year to get some court time. Likely will never be a star, but he is big and strong and hopefully will make another leap in development next year.

If Dom see's any meaningful action next year...we are in big trouble. No offense to Dom.

Who gets how many minutes?

Scout
"Minnesota native and Junior College transfer Andre Ingram gave his commitment to Minnesota. The 6-foot-7 power forward from Minneapolis is the fourth member of the Gophers' class of 2011.

Andre Ingram of Butler Community College (El Dorado, Kansas) gave his verbal commitment to Tubby Smith and the Gophers on Sunday. With the transfer of Colton Iverson, Minnesota was left with an extra scholarship and an opening in the post. The Gophers' may have found a hidden gem in former Minnesota Transitions big man Andre Ingram who will be a junior next season with Minnesota.
This season for Butler Community College, the super-athletic Ingram put up very solid numbers. He averaged 13.3 points and 7.4 rebounds per contest as a sophomore for Butler. Ingram will use this athleticism to give the Gophers’ frontcourt a jolt next season.

Ingram is a very solid kid at 235 pounds but still has the bounce and athleticism to be a difference-maker. Ingram uses his leaping ability to snag rebounds, block shots and dunk over opponents. He shot an impressive 64 percent from the floor last season. For a big man, Ingram has a pretty good handle when he has the ball. Ingram is still developing his game but could become a hidden gem in the Gophers’ recruiting class.

Ingram now joins guard Andre Hollins, wing Joe
"
http://minnesota.scout.com/2/1063348.html
Rivals
"by Ryan James
Butler County CC power forward Andre Ingram has been hearing from division one schools throughout his sophomore year. But when his hometown Minnesota Gophers came calling the athletic 6-foot-7 four man couldn't turn down the opportunity. Today, according to his coaches at Butler County CC, Ingram committed to Minnesota .
"

On paper he sounds like an Mbakwe clone.

with sullinger coming back Andre will be needed and to have another Minnesotan on the roster is great.. next yrs gophers squad will be VERY deep hopefully Tubby can find the right lineups

Andre is a sweet pickup, should play good backup minutes.

wont' he be behind Mo and Trevor for sure?

He is from MN which makes him appealing to the Gophers, IMO, and he fits Tubby's system perfectly and is a viable replacement for Trevor after this season.

He's from Minnesota??? How does that matter at all when he's on the basketball court??

He's a viable replacement for Trevor? A guy with low D1 offers who averaged 13 and 7 against JUCO competition is going to replace Trevor, who averaged a double-double in the Big Ten.

Ok!

I think Tubby is going to put him on the floor with Andre Hollins and the two of them will smile the opponents into submission.

Top Bottom