Am I the only one who dislikes "the chant"?

Hey I know all about THE super bowl, I'm live in Minnesota but go to Iowa. That being said, us Vikings fans haven't seen one in about thirty years. :)

Hey I know all about THE super bowl, I'm live in Minnesota but go to Iowa. That being said, us Vikings fans haven't seen one in about thirty years. :)

It's good to know that you're live in Minnesota. I would be really freaked out if you were dead and somehow typing on this sports-themed message board.

Assuming that you meant, "I live in Minnesota", that must be one hell of a commute to Iowa City every day.

It depends on where you live on which game is bigger. If you're a Gopher working in Wiscy, you'd rather beat BECKY. We who are working in IA would rather beat HERKY. Iowa grads working in the TCities seem to revel in Hawkeye victories. I supect this is a human nature thing.

Maybe I haven't been here long enough but I still think the wisconsin game is more important. There's not nearly as many recruits crossing the IA-MN border as there is the WI-MN border. Don't get me wrong, I certainly dislike Iowa more now that I live among their fans, but I'd still rather beat wisconsin if we could only win one of the two.

I think they know that aside from a few covered bridges, Iowa is ummmmmm producer of 25% of the world's corn. All in all they are good people, just like Wisconsin folks.

There you go, insulting Wisconsinites by saying they are only as good as Iowans. :D

Dude, I think it's the worst chant we have. I don't mind it when we're facing Iowa, but it shows a deep inferiority complex when we're playing Cal, or somebody like that, and Iowa's still on our mind. I can guarantee you one thing. Supporters of Iowa think it's hilarious to have that chant going all the time. I went to Carleton, and St. Olaf's school fight song mentions Carleton in it. We always thought it was hilarious that we were always on their mind. I'm sure Iowa feels the same. I think it's a terrible cheer, and we need a new one. Plus, I hate Wisconsin WAY more, maybe because Wisconsin is our rival in way more sports.

To be honest I think it lacks originality and humrous creativity, it's something you would hear on a school playground. But if-as you state- it bothers our friendly, corn fed, animal violating neighbors to our south I'm all for it

I agree that it lacks any creativity, but that is the genius of it... so simple, and yet so annoying for our neighbors to the south.

It's simply a lame cheer. We ought to be more creative than a pediatric 3-word phrase. Let's ask the Duke fans what they think of it.

Plus it feels really good to say. give it a whirl GGR, a one, and a two and a one two three four....who hates Iowa??

I hate it

I HATE the stupid "chant" and would never be caught dead doing it. I would never be caught dead doing any cheer that has my opponent's name in it. It is the equivalent of "Yankees Suck", which Boston fans always holler. In either case, the people yelling it are total losers IMHO.

Love it.

When I was a Sophomore, there was always a crusty looking, middled aged guy with a black mustache who would always sit in front of us in the student section.

The front of his shirt read: "Who Hates"
The back read: "Iowa".

Every Saturday, he'd get sloppy drunk, hit on the college women, and get riled up yelling "WHO HATES IOWA?!?!"

Now, I'm that crusty guy longing for a January bowl game; God damn it, I hate Iowa and I'm not afraid to tell every team that comes to Minneapolis about it.

We hear cries every week about how our student section is weak and how we haven't done anything to create a hostile environment for opposing teams. The chant is family-safe... (we've been known to chant "smells like yeast" at opposing cheerleaders).

So, embrace your inner mustached underachiever. God knows we've had the team to lead us on that 7-8 win a season mission.

Its a great chant, ESPECIALLY when its done during non-Iowa games. Just because the gophers are not playing Iowa on that specific week, does that mean the state of Iowa has taken that week off from being a boring wasteland of corn, hicks, and incest? Of course not! And that's why our hatred of that state shouldn't take that week off either! Hating Iowa is something all Minnesotans should be proud to display in public. I only wish the chant would spread to more than just sporting events, it should be taught in Elementary school.

Plus honestly.....people keep complaining about our lack of tradition, thats really the only fun chant we have right now that actually has any momentum. I mean I know we all love the stupid superman thing before Goldy does his pushups, and the Gopher first down gallup....but I really dont see those catching on during the pre-game tailgates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzqAF8NHRPo

I agree with Haye

I totally agree.

"Who Hates Iowa" is our "O H - I O"

Someday they'll put the damn chant in University of Minnesota advertisements. It's not an insecurity thing, it's part of being in a fun rivalry. Besides, "Who Hates Wisconsin" doesn't roll off the tongue.

It's basically a college thing. In Gainesville, "It's great to be a Florida Gator" has a corollary, "It's great to hate Florida State." And both are true!

It's basically a college thing. In Gainesville, "It's great to be a Florida Gator" has a corollary, "It's great to hate Florida State." And both are true!

Though I don't actually hate people from Iowa or the players of the team, I do hate Iowa football and if we lose I'm :mad: With that said, I agree with Gator81. Michigan fans (and other BigTen fans as well) have been known to chant " Oh how I hate Ohio State.".

Going back to the original posters points, the reason I don't chant it anymore is because way too many Iowa fans take it personally. At that point it was no longer fun. It became too personal.

I hate the "We hate Iowa" chant

Who cares about iowa. We should aim our hate a little higher. Maybe we should chant about our hate of Alabama or Tennessee or one those places. Maybe we should just chant that we hate everybody and everything. Maybe we could follow John Lennon and give peace a chance.

Top Bottom