Am I the only one who dislikes "the chant"?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I know I'll get blasted for this, but I really don't like the Who Hates Iowa thing. This is on a number of levels:

1) Personally, I try to be "for" something, rather than "against" anything. It bugs me to see people with bumper stickers stating what they're against. Any idiot can be against stuff, what are you for?
2) It makes us look petty. The opposite of love isn't hate, its indifference.
3) I have a hard time explaining it to my kids. I've tried to teach them that hate is a very profound word and that it should be used very cautiously. Do you really want to teach your kids hate?

I would NEVER want to live in Iowa. It is a cultural wasteland with very little natural beauty and I do find it to have a bad odor. Just like Wisconsinites, I don't understand why Iowans tend to leave for Minnesota or Illinois in droves, yet once they're here they try to tell us why Iowa is the best place on earth.

But I don't hate Iowa and the vast majority of Iowans I've met are very nice people.

I'm probably taking this too seriously but that's how I feel about it. Am I all alone?

Yes, you are the only one.

It's even better when "chanted" at games were not even facing IA.

Interesting post. I like rivalries. I like some traditional cheers that all the people know, and that are chanted.

I'm not sure if I'm totally on board with your thought process. There are a lot of distinctions I have to teach my kids. It is okay to throw a ball to someone but not a rock. It is okay to spit out toothpaste but not to spit other things. Those are just some things off the top of my head.

I guess talking to my kid about a rivalry and a cheer just falls into the natural part of teaching kids for me. However, more power to you if you don't want your kids hearing it or saying it.

With my kids, its also a sportsmanship thing. Both of my sons play sports and I really don't want to see trash-talking or smack amongst kids in sports, should they be chanting "we hate Richfield" when they play them in little league? what's the difference?

Then again, when a sizable percentage of fans boo the opposing team at Gophers games (really? we're going to boo the South Dakota State players?) I tell tham that its poor sportsmanship and that I won't participate in it.

I don't particularly care for it....I don't get offended by any means, but I just don't think it's that clever & funny.

Now....singing the National American University song while subsituting "Minnesota State University," "St. Cloud State University" or "South Dakota State University" in place of NAU....that's gold, Jerry!

To me it is an age thing. I don't let my kids watch shows now that they'll be able to watch later. I don't expect your kids to be trash talking in little league. However when they get older, and they rib their friends during competition and then when done pat each other on the back, and go get a coke together. It seems like then they have understood the gray that exists in the world.

I'm not telling you that how you are raising your kids is wrong, as I wrote before.
monk10 said:
However, more power to you if you don't want your kids hearing it or saying it.

You know your kids. You know what is best for them. Just to me, this chant doesn't bother me as an adult.

Nope...sounds like our fans have an inferiority complex when they chant that.

pigskinp.gif

Are there really people who think it's serious? :eek:

Really?

Now that, THAT would bother me....

I also dislike the chant. I'm not sure if I can pinpoint why... but I never have liked it. Maybe it is the inferiority complex thing. Maybe it's a tacit acknowledgment that Iowa has our number and, therefore, we hate them because we can't beat them. In any event, maybe we can end the losing and the chant this weekend. I'll be there hoping we do. Go Gophers!

I think they know that aside from a few covered bridges, Iowa is ummmmmm producer of 25% of the world's corn. All in all they are good people, just like Wisconsin folks.

I think the chant being used when not playing Iowa is in bad taste and is downright pathetic. Then again, ISU does a f*ck the Hawks chant when they play NDSU as well. I guess it must be a jealousy thing. :)

I love the chant, mainly because it is clean (i.e. no swear words), and for some reason really seems to get under the skin of the Iowegians!

Lol I wouldn't say it get under our skin. We all think it's funny and pathetic you guys do it at games when half the time you are losing. Honestly, this is your Super Bowl. Iowa State feels the same way.

Lol I wouldn't say it get under our skin. We all think it's funny and pathetic you guys do it at games when half the time you are losing. Honestly, this is your Super Bowl. Iowa State feels the same way.

Honestly? No it isn't. There are FAR more Gopher fans who care about beating Wisconsin then Iowa. Football, basketball or hockey a victory over the Badgers is what the vast majority of Minnesota fans want to see. The bile around here was far worse after the three point loss Wisconsin then the horrendous beat down last year at the hands of the Hawkeyes.

The victories over Wisconsin last year in basketball? Heavenly. Didn't even Monson's team beat Iowa on occasion? As for hockey.......:cool:

Honestly, this is your Super Bowl. Iowa State feels the same way.

Actually our super bowl is THE Super Bowl. You know, the National Football League's NFC Champion vs. AFC Champion. We have the Minnesota Vikings in town, who have a good chance of going to The Super Bowl this year. In Iowa the term "super bowl" is just a term people throw around to sound like they know something about professional sports.

All, and I mean ALL of our problems the past 40+ years have been internal...that is, our own fault - it has never been the fault of WI or IA that MN chose to wallow in mediocrity - with the new stadium and Brew's recruiting the tide is starting to turn, but it is ultimately our responsibility to be competitive...we are not victims, so quit blaming others.

I think the chant is fairly stupid, especially at games against teams other than Iowa.

Who politely dislikes Iowa sports teams?

We politely dislike Iowa sports teams!!!

You guys are all pussies.

I like the hate chant. It's easy and sounds good in unison. Plus, no obscenitites. I save those for Badger chants :D

The word hate is very ambiguous nowadays. I really think very few people use it for it's original, Webster's dictionary intended meaning. Instead of saying, "Quantum physics tests bring me down," most would say, "I hate quantum physics tests," or "Quantum physics tests suck." Would those people persecute said tests, blame them for the recession, and burn them at the stake? Probably not. Would we be a better society if we used literal meanings of words and stopped calling things "gay?" I think so.

Honestly, this is your Super Bowl. Iowa State feels the same way.

I would attribute it more to the Pro Bowl from a fandom perspective (not athletic). The Badger game got us up and boiling, and now we have to settle for your sorry rears to end the season. Except instead of Hawaii, we are in cornfield hell.

And there is nothing more envigorating than yelling "WE HATE IOWA!!!" down the stairway in response to the question after a victory at TCF.

Actually our super bowl is THE Super Bowl. You know, the National Football League's NFC Champion vs. AFC Champion. We have the Minnesota Vikings in town, who have a good chance of going to The Super Bowl this year. In Iowa the term "super bowl" is just a term people throw around to sound like they know something about professional sports.

Sorry I missed that. Nice job!:party:

Because you can't possibly know anything about professional sports unless you live in a state where there are professional sports . . . all the knowledge gets sucked out of you as you cross the state border. I have lived in Minnesota for 17 years, but I have been a Vikings fan for 35+ years.

Because you can't possibly know anything about professional sports unless you live in a state where there are professional sports . . . all the knowledge gets sucked out of you as you cross the state border. I have lived in Minnesota for 17 years, but I have been a Vikings fan for 35+ years.

Well that response was remarkably thin-skinned don't you think? :p

I'm pretty sure the Wisconsin games are a much bigger deal to Gopher fans than the Iowa games.

I love the chant, mainly because it is clean (i.e. no swear words), and for some reason really seems to get under the skin of the Iowegians!

To be honest I think it lacks originality and humrous creativity, it's something you would hear on a school playground. But if-as you state- it bothers our friendly, corn fed, animal violating neighbors to our south I'm all for it

It depends on where you live

It depends on where you live on which game is bigger. If you're a Gopher working in Wiscy, you'd rather beat BECKY. We who are working in IA would rather beat HERKY. Iowa grads working in the TCities seem to revel in Hawkeye victories. I supect this is a human nature thing.

My take on the "Who Hates Iowa" thing is that it comes across as defensive. It's like when you score a touchdown (limited in my personal playing career) you are supposed to act like you've done it before. If we beat Iowa this year, I'd ratehr we just celebrate and act like we expected it and *love* it; no need to chant "Who Hates Iowa" if the scorboard at Kinnick refelcts Gopher dominance. Maye "Nice game, and thanks for the pig"!:)

Top Bottom