Am I the only one annoyed with Minnesota projected ranking?

Golden Goldy

Reaction score
Dear Fellow (loyal to a fault?) Fans,

I understand we have a lot to prove this year and our performance last year did nothing to help our cause, but does Athlon Sports really think these teams will be better than Minnesota?

52. Temple
53. Duke
54. Cincinnati
55. INDIANA
56. Kentucky
57. Vanderbilt
58. APPALACHIAN STATE
59. NC State
60. Minnesota

Is the kool-aid I'm drinking really spiked that much?

Fondly,

Perpetually-hurt Gopher Fan

What did we finish last year? I'd assume lower than that. We lost a lot on defense, OL and our top WR, the only thing we have going for us is potentially an easier schedule.... I don't see a problem with this as a pre-season ranking. If we want to rank higher we need to prove it. We have a new HC, DC, and OC.They all need to prove it too.

I understand we have a lot to prove this year and our performance last year did nothing to help our cause, but does Athlon Sports really think these teams will be better than Minnesota?

52. Temple
53. Duke
54. Cincinnati
55. INDIANA
56. Kentucky
57. Vanderbilt
58. APPALACHIAN STATE
59. NC State
60. Minnesota

Fondly,

Maybe not that much. Take a look at the emboldened parts. There are 128 FBS teams playing football and it's Athlon Sports. Put them together and about all the research that's done is to look at last year's results. The "in depth" mags also look at this year's schedule.

Oh and Good Morning too you.

Been a Gopher football fan for 6 decades. Same old stuff. We are who we are.

52. Temple
53. Duke
54. Cincinnati
55. INDIANA
56. Kentucky
57. Vanderbilt
58. APPALACHIAN STATE
59. NC State
60. Minnesota

Fondly,

If it upsets you, don't read them. Athlon, Steele, all the pre-season rags are worthless, but just like recruiting they get tons of money from suckers that buy magazines and subscriptions for "insider" information.

I'm not looking for insider information. I am mourning the lack of football in my life and it temporarily fills the void (coupled with the countdown thread).

To be clear I am not wishing the Summer away, but I will welcome September 1st with open arms.

Once upon a time, the pre-season mags were a much stronger source of information. But, the internet has made them much less important. Anyone who really cares and has the time can go on-line and find out more information than any of the pre-season mags will have.

These days, the mags are marketed for the casual fans, or people who don't have the time or inclination to do their own research on-line.

As far as the Gophers - we're talking about a team that went 5-7 in the regular season, has a new FT head coach, new O and D coordinators, and (to be kind) does not have a long-standing tradition of FB success.

If the Gophs can run off an 8- or 9-win season, then next year's mags will be a lot kinder to the program.

52. Temple
53. Duke
54. Cincinnati
55. INDIANA
56. Kentucky
57. Vanderbilt
58. APPALACHIAN STATE
59. NC State
60. Minnesota

Fondly,

Why would anyone rank the gophers ahead of Temple?

Maybe they can use this as motivation to stop being cannon fodder for the big cheeses in the B1G West on their way to the title.

Goal #1 for Tracey Claeys: We have to turn the badgers into roadkill once and for all!

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athlon is an objectively trash publication.

That being said, we did lose a lot.

Anyone who has been following gopher fb for the last 20 plus years should realize we are rarely as good as gopher fans believe. Look at last year, 5 wins. That is not a good season. No one in national media respects us and, for good reason, we are not a great fb program. Accept that and the rankings will make more sense.

Anyone who has been following gopher fb for the last 20 plus years should realize we are rarely as good as gopher fans believe. Look at last year, 5 wins. That is not a good season. No one in national media respects us and, for good reason, we are not a great fb program. Accept that and the rankings will make more sense.

Plus 1000.....90% of the posters on here wear rose colored glasses. They get all hyped up over a grad transfer who played in one game for Oregon. The Gophers right now are ranked where they should be.And really, when you go back through the past 20 years the rags have pretty much
been right on.Phil Steele has been especially accurate.. When a division, and maybe a B1G Ten
Title. Then maybe you'll start getting some love

Stay healthy Gophers! Stay healthy!

Plus 1000.....90% of the posters on here wear rose colored glasses. They get all hyped up over a grad transfer who played in one game for Oregon. The Gophers right now are ranked where they should be.And really, when you go back through the past 20 years the rags have pretty much
been right on.Phil Steele has been especially accurate.. When a division, and maybe a B1G Ten
Title. Then maybe you'll start getting some love

Only in your world. No one got all hyped up over him.

No.. gophers need to get it done on field

Athlon is garbage.

Having said that the Gophers have hardly show much consistency.

No lie, there are four pages dedicated to photos of cheerleaders in this magazine. On the whole page dedicated to the 2016 Gopher Football roster (see Big Ten version), they left out Carter Coughlin, despite touting his high recruit rankings in the other 3 pages. You all are on to something; it is hysterical.

BTW; I thought the message board background was white but why does my screen have a rose-maroon tint?? Foreshadowing to January 1?! ;)

I'm laughing at that. On any other football site It's not even a new thread.

Gotcha. So you're just irritated about how people use this site. So it would have been in okay in your world if everything that has been said was put in the 2016 recruiting thread.

So can you point out where someone was "hyped up"? Or did you just make that up because you're mad others don't agree with your way of thinking?

No lie, there are four pages dedicated to photos of cheerleaders in this magazine. On the whole page dedicated to the 2016 Gopher Football roster (see Big Ten version), they left out Carter Coughlin, despite touting his high recruit rankings in the other 3 pages. You all are on to something; it is hysterical.

BTW; I thought the message board background was white but why does my screen have a rose-maroon tint?? Foreshadowing to January 1?! ;)

I'll be in my bunk...

Athlon and Lindys are all based in the South so they skew SEC. Listen to their podcast. All the writers are pretty much SEC beat writers for various newspapers down there. They know little about our team beyond our record so don't expect a nuance analysis of our prospects.

Gotcha. So you're just irritated about how people use this site. So it would have been in okay in your world if everything that has been said was put in the 2016 recruiting thread.

So can you point out where someone was "hyped up"? Or did you just make that up because you're mad others don't agree with your way of thinking?

Nope, not mad. On the whole topic my thought process was out of the box. Where everyone else thought the transfer of this kid was a black and white situation concerning 2016. I still maintain that they would never recruited him as a transfer if we had a couple of DB's in fold for 2017. His numbers are just not that good. Like I said, the situation reminds me of when Kill recruited the QB Dexter Foreman, even though he wasn't a grad transfer. Scholarship avaiable,
shot in the dark. Some of you guys are just to Gopher sensitive, and if someone doesn't agree with the mainstream you're quick with the grenade launcher.

Top Bottom