Alonzo Craighton commits to the Gophers

Matt over at TDG speculates that the coaches are interested in signing 7 DBs this year because of the turnover expected over the next few seasons. Not sure where the info that all spots are taken is coming from.

PLEASE STOP TWEETING RECRUITS

You make yourself look like an idiot and you damage the reputation of the fan base as a whole.

+1,000,000

In this history of twitter has anything good ever come from an idiot fan tweeting at recruits?

The good news is he handled it so well I am now really interested in him joining Craighton and patrolling the skies at TCF.

1. I read it as a joke as another committed player tweeted that there was plenty of room for him.
2. Recruiting is fluid until signing day

Craighton was recruited as a CB. he does not have the build for a safety. The Gophers now have reached their quota for CBs-Craighton, Shenault and Buford. They need 2 more safeties since they have signed Jacob Huff. Unlikely they take Sykes unless they see him as a possible safety.

Did it occur to anyone that there is room for both? Let the Coaching staff decide. Get the guys, find a place for them. That's why the coaches get big bucks.
I would think there is room for both and hopefully there was just some sort of misunderstanding with Sykes but regardless I'm sure the coaching staff has a plan when it comes to recruiting the secondary and with the way our secondary has played there is no reason not to trust whatever that plan is.

Craighton was recruited as a CB. he does not have the build for a safety. The Gophers now have reached their quota for CBs-Craighton, Shenault and Buford. They need 2 more safeties since they have signed Jacob Huff. Unlikely they take Sykes unless they see him as a possible safety.
I thought Buford was more of a safety but could play either.

Maybe, just maybe, we might already be full due to some silent verbals that we at GH and Ryan Burns et.al. are not aware of. :D

Sounds like Sykes may have wanted to be a Gopher. If this is true.........I hope that the staff finds a place for him.

Maybe, just maybe, we might already be full due to some silent verbals that we at GH and Ryan Burns et.al. are not aware of. :D

Maybe, just maybe, you are blowing smoke out your ass and don't know what you are talking about? :eek:

We're going to take 6-7 DBs. Book it.

We have 4 committed right now. My bet is they would take Rodgers irregardless of the high school recruits because he's a JUCO and we have bascially one sophomore DB on the team (Myrick). Shenault and Craighton are considered corners, Huff is a safety, and Buford seems to be viewed as a safety. That leaves two more open spots for this class, and they probably want to keep spots open for Kelly (safety) and Redwine (CB).

Maybe, just maybe, you are blowing smoke out your ass and don't know what you are talking about? :eek:

Never claimed to know what I was talking about, just speculating. It might explain early reports of possibly taking 6 DBs and Mr. Sykes implying that they are full. I was also thinking about Kelly and Redwine as possibilities. If I am blowing smoke out of my ass then maybe you could recommend a proctologist to help address my wishful thinking and unnatural emssions :)

The Goph's are taking 6, maybe 7 DB's total.

3-4 of them will be CB's. So far they have Buford, Shenault & Craighton, all plan A guys at CB. They'd like to take a 4th, but the guy has to be better than their plan A's. A guy that they simply can't say no to. Kelly & Redwine (both visited this past weekend), would be guys that staff would still take at CB.

We're also looking for 3 safeties, 1 of which will be a Juco to pair with Duke McGhee. We've been trying to get Charlie Rodgers as that guy, but he's stringing us along pretty good (again). Huff is the on prep safety that's already signed & Alex Barnes, from Kansas (who's coach is tight with Kill as I recall?) is the #1 target.

The Goph's are taking 6, maybe 7 DB's total.

3-4 of them will be CB's. So far they have Buford, Shenault & Craighton, all plan A guys at CB. They'd like to take a 4th, but the guy has to be better than their plan A's. A guy that they simply can't say no to. Kelly & Redwine (both visited this past weekend), would be guys that staff would still take at CB.

We're also looking for 3 safeties, 1 of which will be a Juco to pair with Duke McGhee. We've been trying to get Charlie Rodgers as that guy, but he's stringing us along pretty good (again). Huff is the on prep safety that's already signed & Alex Barnes, from Kansas (who's coach is tight with Kill as I recall?) is the #1 target.
Thought Buford was more of a safety but can play corner if needed? Looks like Alex Barnes received an offer from Kansas State and I believe it is for RB so that may play a factor in his decision.

Never claimed to know what I was talking about, just speculating. It might explain early reports of possibly taking 6 DBs and Mr. Sykes implying that they are full. I was also thinking about Kelly and Redwine as possibilities. If I am blowing smoke out of my ass then maybe you could recommend a proctologist to help address my wishful thinking and unnatural emssions :)

You have contacted the right guy. :)

No impressive offers, but recent history would tell us that Sawvel knows a thing or two about evaluating DBs. Murray, Myrick, James, Travis, and hopefully we can add Craighton to the list of promising DBs. Welcome aboard.

Thank God we got the "no impressive offers" bullshat out of the way early on

Thank God we got the "no impressive offers" bullshat out of the way early on

Who was our highest ranked d-back recruit currently starting? Stars don't mean as much any longer.

Did it occur to anyone that there is room for both? Let the Coaching staff decide. Get the guys, find a place for them. That's why the coaches get big bucks.

This^^^^^

I usually don't worry. I leave the recruiting decisions and the number of open scholarship spots to the coaches and let them make all the decisions. It seems to work out better that way.

This^^^^^

I usually don't worry. I leave the recruiting decisions and the number of open scholarship spots to the coaches and let them make all the decisions. It seems to work out better that way.

Well to be honest, I can't recall the last time they took my advice anyway.

This^^^^^

It's hilarious how this one particular thing bugs you SOOOOO much. Nothing we do or say here has any impact on anything. It's just for fun. Why does this one thing bother you so much? If people want to speculate on the number of open scholarships, how is that causing injury to you? They talk about it because they care. Would you rather they didn't care and didn't talk about anything? What fun would that be?

It's hilarious how this one particular thing bugs you SOOOOO much. Nothing we do or say here has any impact on anything. It's just for fun. Why does this one thing bother you so much? If people want to speculate on the number of open scholarships, how is that causing injury to you? They talk about it because they care. Would you rather they didn't care and didn't talk about anything? What fun would that be?

For me part of the fun is watching others get so angry about this and stuff like "let's take it one game at a time, we can't afford to overlook anyone on the schedule." There may be a select few of us here (not me) that actually have contact and connections with the team, but outside of that we are just fans and nothing we say here has any impact on the team outside from maybe a player or coach reading our criticism of him.

I think what it boils down to is extreme superstition and a loser's mentality.

Top Bottom