All Things Weather

In Mendota Heights, hasnt stopped yet.

Has it stopped on the north side of town?
Pretty much just super light flurries for most of the late morning until now. The kind of small flurries where you have to look at something dark to really even see them.

NW burbs seem to have gotten substantially less than what was predicted, which I'm A-ok with. Hard to tell with wind/drifts, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got about 12". Seems the south metro got hit worse.
After snowblowing/shoveling my driveway and the in-laws, this guy is an idiot. it's more than 12" in the NW burbs. I'd guess more in the 16" range maybe. All I know, the clearing took longer than I anticipated. Don't listen to this doofus.

looks like local weather observer had 13.9" total for Windom. other reports from SW MN - 16" in Slayton, 15.5" in Worthington, 15" in Edgerton, 14" in Lamberton.

started shoveling at 10:00am. (plastic shovel - I'm stubborn). spent about two hours getting my sidewalk and driveway clear. because I have a detached garage (worst decision ever) I also have to shovel a walking path from my house to the garage.

then I spent some time trying to help a neighbor dig out his truck which had been plowed in in his driveway off the alley. walked back in the house at 1:00pm. 3 hours of shoveling.

I am really f*cking tired right now. It may not have been the storm of the century, but between the snow and the wind, it was a job-and-a-half.

I may have underestimated the snow drifts...Had to cut them down with a shovel since they were gunna be too much for the snow blower. Did that for about an hour. Taking a break before going back in with the snow blower.

Overall this storm underachieved from original expectations by about 3-6", which was about how much the first round underachieved by.

Most everyone saw around a foot with round 2, which was as expected.

Lol, oh it's worth it.
My comment was tongue-in-cheek. But I definitely don't need it. Got no interest in collecting cars or work shopping in the garage. Lesson learned on my part.

Last edited:

Just moved to NE Mpls where we got almost 17 inches. After a decade as the caretaker at my old place I am no longer responsible for snow removal. Can I get an Amen people?! 🍾

Just moved to NE Mpls where we got almost 17 inches. After a decade as the caretaker at my old place I am no longer responsible for snow removal. Can I get an Amen people?! 🍾
amen

I can't remember a time where any snowstorm lived up to the hype.

That all changed after the Halloween Blizzard in '91. Local forecasters had said the Metro would get 2-4" of snow. Halloween brought 8" next day 18.5". Stations were inundated with people screaming at them about how they depended on getting 2-4 and how they got stuck, buried, etc. because of the faulty forecasts.

From then on they nearly always gonna err on the side of more snow not less.

NE 17 inches, but MSP 13 inches??

Like 5-6 miles as the crow flies?? How is that possible?

I can't explain how, but it's not unique. Apple Valley registered 19 while neighboring Rosemount has 13.

MSP maybe being between the rivers somehow disrupts the snow pattern? Just a wild guess.

Just a theory, but - I think that meteorologists with all the advances in radar, computers, etc have so much more data now to evaluate - AND as noted they would rather give the worst-case forecast as opposed to being too optimistic and under-forecasting.

in my time working in local radio and covering weather events, as time went by it certainly seemed as if the NWS was quicker to put out warnings for all types of weather especially severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. once upon a time, an actual person had to see a tornado funnel, but now, someone looking at a radar screen sees a hook echo or rotation, and based on that issues a tornado warning.

the danger is that people start to expect that the forecast is exaggerated, and stop paying attention because "they're always wrong." I know that if I hear the local tornado sirens going, instead of going to the basement I go out in the front yard to see if anything is happening.

Do not aspire to own a 3-car garage. It's not worth it. I just left that third door to die. It'll thaw out in the summer.
I would love a 3 car garage. I have one of the smallest 2 car garages I've ever seen. But we still find a way to get both vehicles in there.

Finally snow in in the NYC metro?
I was referring to the snow in LA as a harbinger of the end - the movie wasn’t great, but I loved the special effects.

We got “measurable snow” a few weeks ago overnight and when I woke up there was none🤔.

It seemed like only a trace during one of my nightly privy breaks, but I guess it counted

Last edited:

I was referring to the snow in LA as a harbinger of the end - the movie wasn’t great, but I loved the special effects.

We got “measurable snow” a few weeks ago overnight and when I woke up there was none🤔.

It seemed like a trace during one of my nightly privy breaks, but I guess it counted
It's crazy but I wonder, is the Malibu winter snow fall total is more than Manhattan currently?

was reading about some of the weather systems in California. numbers are nuts.

A powerful winter storm that swept down the West Coast with flooding and frigid temperatures shifted its focus to southern California on Saturday, swelling rivers to dangerous levels and dropping snow in even low-lying areas around Los Angeles.

Multiday precipitation totals as of Saturday morning included a staggering 81 inches (205 centimeters) of snow at the Mountain High resort in the San Gabriel Mountains northeast of Los Angeles and up to 64 inches (160 centimeters) farther east at Snow Valley in the San Bernardino Mountains.

Rainfall totals as of late Saturday morning were equally stunning, including nearly 15 inches (38.1 centimeters) at Los Angeles County's Cogswell Dam and nearly 10.5 inches (26.6 cm) in the Woodland Hills section of Los Angeles.

An avalanche warning was issued for the Sierra Nevada backcountry around Lake Tahoe, which straddles the California-Nevada border. Nearly 2 feet (61 cm) of new snow had fallen by Friday and up to another 5 feet (1.5 meters) was expected when another storm moves in with the potential for gale-force winds and high-intensity flurries Sunday, the weather service said.

In Arizona, the heaviest snow was expected late Saturday through midday Sunday, with up to a foot of new snow possible in Flagstaff, forecasters said.

Euro wanting to wrap up a huge storm over the eastern US in about a week.

1677827386884.png

Wow. title this "I survived the drive home from the Springsteen concert."

Went to see Bruce at the Xcel Center Sunday in St. Paul.

Drive up, caught some snow through Mankato and St. Peter, then it picked up again at about Shakopee. when I got out of the X at 11:00pm, it was snowing hard. Hard to see - I missed my bleeping exit to the freeway and drove around St. Paul for 15 minutes trying to figure out where the F*** I was. (true story - at one point I was waiting forever for a light to change and got pissed off, so I made a left turn on a red light......I was a little worked up by that point)

Then the real fun began. Traffic was moving about 30-35mph on 94, 35W and 494. If you stayed in one lane, it was ok, but changing lanes was dicey - ran through piled-up snow and started fish-tailing.

Got to 169 south - and that was worse. unplowed with no lanes visible. slogged along at about 30 to 40 mph. north of Jordan, I got behind a snow plow and figured bleep it, I'd rather go 25mph behind a plow on a clear road as opposed to going 10mph faster through slop.

South of St. Peter, roads got better, and from Mankato to Butterfield, roads were fine - going 60. Butterfield to Windom, ran into some drifting and snow patches, so backed off again.

Got to my house at about 3:00am. a trip that normally would take a little over 2-1/2 hours took close to 4 hours. and then, because I'm nuts, I shoveled my driveway before putting the car in the garage. (hey, I hate when snow gets 'wheel-tracked' down in the driveway). Went to bed a little after 3:30am.

I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

Looks like the active pattern continues. Another large storm possible Thursday-Friday.

And the west continues to get pounded.

Top Bottom