All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Started watching Rings of Power with my kids. Best part is that Galadriel is the main character, instead of a bunch of dudes out adventuring. My daughter, who went as Gandalf for Halloween one year, is into it.

Has anyone seen "The Greatest Beer Run Ever"?

Didn't know much about it until reading a recent review; true story, sounds like a good feel-good movie, I think I may try to check it out in the next 5-7 days, since there doesn't seem to be much else out that interests me at the moment.
Watched it. A bit outrageous but most movies are. I’d give it a 7 out of 10

Has anyone watched Reservation Dogs? I've watched the first couple episodes and like it so far. I believe it's the first show from a major network with a cast and crew that's primarily Native. It's part comedy, part crime drama, and part coming-of-age story. My favorite line so far is when the group is first called Reservation Dogs, the one kids asks, "Can I be Mr. Camouflage?" :LOL:
Picked up for a 3rd season!

Hot D season finale tonight. Excellent, excellent show.

Already can't wait for the true Dance of Dragons to begin! We got a ... shall we say "tasty appetizer" tonight! :devilish:

Has anyone watched this War of the Worlds series out of the UK? Obviously very loosely based on the book it appears. I came across it at random, the premise seems interesting to me but the reviews are mixed.

I did, but it was at least a few years ago. As a sci-fi fan I thought was good enough to watch the first season. Come to think of it I can’t recall how the season ended or if I even watched all of it-the last few years are a big blur TBH. Was it originally on Cinemax or Starz?

What did everyone think of the Rings of Power?

I enjoyed it. Slow burn with a few slow spots but the culmination in episode 8 was great. The depth added to eg Sauron as villain and master manipulator was fantastic. Throw in some political intrigue, Gandalf backstory, rings backstory and it was entertaining.

I did, but it was at least a few years ago. As a sci-fi fan I thought was good enough to watch the first season. Come to think of it I can’t recall how the season ended or if I even watched all of it-the last few years are a big blur TBH. Was it originally on Cinemax or Starz?
I believe it's available on EPIX but not 100% sure. I'll probably give it a try.

so it was announced today that "Doctor Who" will be shown on Disney+ in the US starting sometime next year.

at this point, they have not indicated whether this is for the new season only, or whether Disney+ will also have some or all of the back catalogue.

I am only a casual Doctor Who fan. Watched the season with Christopher Ecclestone (the 9th Doctor) when it ran on the Sci-Fi Channel. Way back when, I watched a number of the Tom Baker episodes on PBS.

still, I am interested enough to give it a watch when the new season begins.

I am only a casual Doctor Who fan. Watched the season with Christopher Ecclestone (the 9th Doctor) when it ran on the Sci-Fi Channel. Way back when, I watched a number of the Tom Baker episodes on PBS.

still, I am interested enough to give it a watch when the new season begins.

Will always be The Doctor to me. His uniquely Austin Powers-like visage and charisma (and scarf) will never be matched.

That said, I’ve heard the succeeding shows have been pretty good. I’ve never watched them. Someday. Might hit up the newer Star Trek series someday as well. There is only so much time.

Will always be The Doctor to me. His uniquely Austin Powers-like visage and charisma (and scarf) will never be matched.

That said, I’ve heard the succeeding shows have been pretty good. I’ve never watched them. Someday. Might hit up the newer Star Trek series someday as well. There is only so much time.

one of the issues is the fragmentation of TV. there are a lot of interesting shows out there, but each one is on a different streaming service. the new Star Trek stuff is on Paramount+. House of the Dragon is on HBO Max. The Rings of Power and The Boys are on Amazon Prime Video. For all Mankind is on Apple TV+.

for Doctor Who, I believe the more recent seasons are on HBO max, but the older seasons are on Brit Box.

bottom line, all of those outlets cost money. and I'm not rich.

If you liked Dark the creators and screen writers Jantje Friese and Baran bo Odar’s (not an elf) next effort comes out soon. Much anticipation for fans.

Saw this last week. Looks real interesting. Never watched 'Dark' though. Might have to look into it.

one of the issues is the fragmentation of TV. there are a lot of interesting shows out there, but each one is on a different streaming service. the new Star Trek stuff is on Paramount+. House of the Dragon is on HBO Max. The Rings of Power and The Boys are on Amazon Prime Video. For all Mankind is on Apple TV+.

for Doctor Who, I believe the more recent seasons are on HBO max, but the older seasons are on Brit Box.

bottom line, all of those outlets cost money. and I'm not rich.

Key here is to subscribe to the things you think you'll get the MOST use out of. I actually use Amazon Prime....so the Prime Video subscription doesn't ever really cross my mind.

IMO....HBOMax is easily the best streaming service around. Consistently pumping out top notch originals/series....as well as contracting for full seasons of shows from other networks in order to provide extra value. They also tend to be much better than other streaming services at getting newer movies while also shuffling around their library of older films. Not close in my mind.

After that....I've found that Hulu has been my most used streaming service. Probably on HBOMax's level this past year or so. Original content has been increasing hand over fist....and the quality of the original content seems to keep improving as well. The partnership with FX was a brilliant move. Some FX on Hulu exclusives. 'Reservation Dogs' is pretty well liked. 'The Patient' was very good. And FX already has a bunch of great original content, so having it all available in it's entirety moves the needle. Just in the past year or so....I've watched the full series of 'You're The Worst', 'Justified', 'The Americans', and caught up on 'What We Do In The Shadows', along with some other things.

Best thing to do is track shows on each service and subscribe at a time when you can knock them all out at once. Rinse and repeat. Even with the number of streaming services I subscribe to....I still wait until entire seasons wrap up in order to watch them with a few exceptions (House of the Dragon on HBOMax due to inability to avoid spoilers being one).

Saw this last week. Looks real interesting. Never watched 'Dark' though. Might have to look into it.

Key here is to subscribe to the things you think you'll get the MOST use out of. I actually use Amazon Prime....so the Prime Video subscription doesn't ever really cross my mind.

IMO....HBOMax is easily the best streaming service around. Consistently pumping out top notch originals/series....as well as contracting for full seasons of shows from other networks in order to provide extra value. They also tend to be much better than other streaming services at getting newer movies while also shuffling around their library of older films. Not close in my mind.

After that....I've found that Hulu has been my most used streaming service. Probably on HBOMax's level this past year or so. Original content has been increasing hand over fist....and the quality of the original content seems to keep improving as well. The partnership with FX was a brilliant move. Some FX on Hulu exclusives. 'Reservation Dogs' is pretty well liked. 'The Patient' was very good. And FX already has a bunch of great original content, so having it all available in it's entirety moves the needle. Just in the past year or so....I've watched the full series of 'You're The Worst', 'Justified', 'The Americans', and caught up on 'What We Do In The Shadows', along with some other things.

Best thing to do is track shows on each service and subscribe at a time when you can knock them all out at once. Rinse and repeat. Even with the number of streaming services I subscribe to....I still wait until entire seasons wrap up in order to watch them with a few exceptions (House of the Dragon on HBOMax due to inability to avoid spoilers being one).

It is German thus a little under the radar but if you’re into that kind of thing…wonderful, complex. Well-written. I didn’t find the subtitles distracting as the dialogue is germanically sparse…

Agree on cycling services. I will probably add paramount plus for Yellowstone. I dropped Apple plus as I had watched everything I wanted. Had Philo for Curse of Oak Island for a number of years - history channel. Dropped that last year. It’s very easy to add and stop services.

Started watching The English on Amazon. First episode seemed ok. Closed with a really good song. It was Some Say (I got Devil) by Melanie.

Last edited:

Andor has been excellent. These spinoff series' for Star Wars have been a mixed bag. This one is really good.

First season is done for "Interview with a Vampire."

In general, I liked it. they changed a lot of things from the book, but I think they got the overall tone of the book right. worth watching - although I think now that the season is over, it's on AMC+. there will be an 8-episode season 2. the showrunner said in an interview that the 2nd season will basically adapt the second half of the book.

and - have to mention - next Sunday is the Final episode of "The Walking Dead." I've stuck with it this long, so have to see it through to the end.

and after that - 3 new spin-off series.........

Well, the Final episode of "The Walking Dead" aired on Sunday. 11 seasons.

As a final episode, it was OK. It had the feel of "we have to get all this stuff into the episode" to it.
so they set up a big problem, and then resolved it in a few minutes of screen time. then, the last half-hour of the show was all about giving the main characters a send-off.

one of the issues was that AMC had already announced three new spin-off series, so you knew those characters were guaranteed to live. So, they killed off one main character and a couple of supporting characters, but most of the main cast 'survived.'

in the end, I think a lot of people feel that the show went on for a couple of seasons too long, at least. the first few seasons were good, but some of the later seasons just didn't have the same feel.
one funny note - in the 1st episode of the show, there was a 'little girl' walker with a teddy bear. they showed that same actress today - she has grown up and is quite attractive!

now, coming some time next year: a new 'Rick and Michonne' series, a new series with Daryl in France (no, I'm not making that up) and a series with Maggie and Negan in New York City. and "Fear the Walking Dead" is still on the air. gotta milk the franchise for all it's worth.

Well, the Final episode of "The Walking Dead" aired on Sunday. 11 seasons.

As a final episode, it was OK. It had the feel of "we have to get all this stuff into the episode" to it.
so they set up a big problem, and then resolved it in a few minutes of screen time. then, the last half-hour of the show was all about giving the main characters a send-off.

one of the issues was that AMC had already announced three new spin-off series, so you knew those characters were guaranteed to live. So, they killed off one main character and a couple of supporting characters, but most of the main cast 'survived.'

in the end, I think a lot of people feel that the show went on for a couple of seasons too long, at least. the first few seasons were good, but some of the later seasons just didn't have the same feel.
one funny note - in the 1st episode of the show, there was a 'little girl' walker with a teddy bear. they showed that same actress today - she has grown up and is quite attractive!

now, coming some time next year: a new 'Rick and Michonne' series, a new series with Daryl in France (no, I'm not making that up) and a series with Maggie and Negan in New York City. and "Fear the Walking Dead" is still on the air. gotta milk the franchise for all it's worth.
This last half season really picked it up imo. Had more the feel the first five or six seasons had. The last bunch of seasons were poor at best. They did kill of my favorite character though, but that is a big reason the show really took off in the beginning. You knew no one was safe.

Watched the first episode of The Tulsa King last night. Was entertaining. Maybe a 6.5, possibly a 7

Another season of Bosch just dropped.

I'm finally getting started on Bosch, only about halfway through Season 1. When you do searches on best streaming series, it's often ranked fairly high. I really like it so far. It's not fast-moving, but it's smart, well-written, and it has some solid acting in. it and some good characters.

How many have watched all of it or even a few seasons and I wonder what they thought

Not sure if anyone watches Documentary Now on IFC? This current season is awesome. Huge fan.

I'm finally getting started on Bosch, only about halfway through Season 1. When you do searches on best streaming series, it's often ranked fairly high. I really like it so far. It's not fast-moving, but it's smart, well-written, and it has some solid acting in. it and some good characters.

How many have watched all of it or even a few seasons and I wonder what they thought
I’ve seen them all including the 1st season of Bosch Legacy which is a continuation of Bosch.

It’s not a show that’ll blow you away or anything but overall a really good detective show.

I’ve seen them all including the 1st season of Bosch Legacy which is a continuation of Bosch.

It’s not a show that’ll blow you away or anything but overall a really good detective show.

It's right up my alley so far, but I'm not sure Mrs Ogee will have the patience for it. We'll see.

On a side note, we just finished the first season of "Rogue" on Prime, with the always hot and sexy Thandie Newton. It's definitely an interesting show, there's a lot going on and a lot to pay attention to; it's got some violence, some language and nudity, what's not to like?

Definitely enough to make us roll into Season 2 at some point, not sure if that's after Bosch Season 1 or before that ends. Maybe at some point I'm watching Bosch on my own, who knows.

Just finished season 1 of The Peripheral on Amazon Prime. Little over my head at times, sci-fi has a way of doing that, but has kept my interest. Stars the little girl from the movie Kick-Ass. She is pretty tough in this one also, besides being very clever.

For the Fantasy fans -
Disney+ is airing a new series based on the movie "Willow." Willow was a 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard.

The series picks up a number of years after the movie. some bad stuff happens and the would-be sorcerer Willow leads a small group on a quest to save the kingdom. Little person Warwick Davis returns as Willow. the movie also starred Val Kilmer, but his throat cancer prevented him from returning.

I watched the first two episodes. It's.....OK. not the worst thing I've seen, but not the best. It's a little odd in that some of the characters speak in modern vernacular, which doesn't seem to fit in the fantasy setting.

Top Bottom