All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

I realize that it's not for everyone....but everytime I watch an episode of 'Last Week Tonight With John Oliver' on HBO....I quickly look to see if I had missed a week. Usually tackling one main story per week....their team does an excellent job of putting together a very concise...but also thorough look at the issue. Happens to be very funny as well.

'Better Call Saul' finale last night. Amazing end to the series. Really...the entire final season...specifically the second half (last six episodes)...was a masterclass on great television. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I think that BCS was a better show than Breaking Bad. But you're really splitting hairs as they are both top notch.

'Better Call Saul' finale last night. Amazing end to the series. Really...the entire final season...specifically the second half (last six episodes)...was a masterclass on great television. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I think that BCS was a better show than Breaking Bad. But you're really splitting hairs as they are both top notch.

I absolutely LOVED Breaking Bad (top 3-4 show all time) but I never watched BCS because I’m not a “prequel” fan since I know he was never going to die. But clearly the show is amazing based on so many reviews and if you think it’s better than BB, then clearly I need to watch it.

Go Walter White!!

Has anyone watched Severance? I’m not a sci-fi fan at all, but this show received so many Emmy nominations I decided to give it a shot. I can’t even understand what’s going on and I’ve only watched 1.5 episodes. I understand it picks up and some say the last episode of S1 is incredible, but for those that have watched it, is it worth it?

Go Gophers!!

I absolutely LOVED Breaking Bad (top 3-4 show all time) but I never watched BCS because I’m not a “prequel” fan since I know he was never going to die. But clearly the show is amazing based on so many reviews and if you think it’s better than BB, then clearly I need to watch it.

Go Walter White!!

I wouldn't even really consider it a prequel in the general sense of the word. Technically it is a backstory....but it's not for either of the main characters of Breaking Bad. It's the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman....who's only an ancillary character in Breaking Bad. Mike's story is also told in much more detail.

Also worth noting that while the majority of the show IS the backstory and the events leading up to Saul becoming Walter White's lawyer.....they pepper in flash forwards to the events after 'Breaking Bad'. And the last half of the last season is mostly the events afterwards....providing a conclusion for Saul.

But again....it's splitting hairs trying to pick which is the superior show. They're both incredible.

Has anyone watched Severance? I’m not a sci-fi fan at all, but this show received so many Emmy nominations I decided to give it a shot. I can’t even understand what’s going on and I’ve only watched 1.5 episodes. I understand it picks up and some say the last episode of S1 is incredible, but for those that have watched it, is it worth it?

Go Gophers!!

Severance is really good. Starts off very slow and leaves a lot of questions hanging around. As things start to unravel the pacing picks up a lot. Absolutely worth it.

I wouldn't even really consider it a prequel in the general sense of the word. Technically it is a backstory....but it's not for either of the main characters of Breaking Bad. It's the story of how Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman....who's only an ancillary character in Breaking Bad. Mike's story is also told in much more detail.

Also worth noting that while the majority of the show IS the backstory and the events leading up to Saul becoming Walter White's lawyer.....they pepper in flash forwards to the events after 'Breaking Bad'. And the last half of the last season is mostly the events afterwards....providing a conclusion for Saul.

But again....it's splitting hairs trying to pick which is the superior show. They're both incredible.

Severance is really good. Starts off very slow and leaves a lot of questions hanging around. As things start to unravel the pacing picks up a lot. Absolutely worth it.

Awesome, appreciate the detail on both.

Go Gophers!!

I need advice. I watched (and loved) the Breaking Bad series when it was first aired. I recall broad plot points and major characters, but have been intending to go back and watch it again. Haven't watched Better Call Saul as I have been waiting for the series to end so I could watch it all at once. Now I am wondering whether I should I re-watch Breaking Bad and then Saul, or watch Saul and then have that lead in to re-watching Breaking Bad? Put another way, are there enough minor Breaking Bad characters and plot references in Saul that I'll miss a lot by not first getting a refresher on Breaking Bad?

I need advice. I watched (and loved) the Breaking Bad series when it was first aired. I recall broad plot points and major characters, but have been intending to go back and watch it again. Haven't watched Better Call Saul as I have been waiting for the series to end so I could watch it all at once. Now I am wondering whether I should I re-watch Breaking Bad and then Saul, or watch Saul and then have that lead in to re-watching Breaking Bad? Put another way, are there enough minor Breaking Bad characters and plot references in Saul that I'll miss a lot by not first getting a refresher on Breaking Bad?

Not at all. Since most of the show takes place prior to the events of Breaking Bad, there is not a whole lot that you need to carry over. The final season does start to close the gap....as well as jump past the events of Breaking Bad. For that reason....I wouldn't recommend a *FIRST* time watcher starting with BCS and going into Breaking Bad. But seeing as how you've already seen BB.....I think that it would work pretty well watching BCS first.....as you won't be spoiling anything.

The day has finally arrived. Got my popcorn ready.

Felt very flat. Especially in comparison to the first episode of GoT. Showing some restraint isn't a bad thing however. My concern here is that there wasn't a single character that was all that interesting. Again....pales in comparison to GoT that introduced a bunch of really interesting characters right off the bat.

Felt very flat. Especially in comparison to the first episode of GoT. Showing some restraint isn't a bad thing however. My concern here is that there wasn't a single character that was all that interesting. Again....pales in comparison to GoT that introduced a bunch of really interesting characters right off the bat.

stocker - just out of curiosity, did you have any trouble watching the show? heard a lot of reports about people trying to log on and not being able to connect due to server issues.

It’s IMDB rating is currently higher than the GoT pilot 🤷‍♀️. Though that won’t last once the mouth breathers get around to review bombing it. Thought it was good. The queen’s scenes were pretty powerful imo. Anything but flat.

stocker - just out of curiosity, did you have any trouble watching the show? heard a lot of reports about people trying to log on and not being able to connect due to server issues.

I watched it the next day. I'm past appointment viewing TV shows.

It’s IMDB rating is currently higher than the GoT pilot 🤷‍♀️. Though that won’t last once the mouth breathers get around to review bombing it. Thought it was good. The queen’s scenes were pretty powerful imo. Anything but flat.

I caught the first episode of Game of Thrones back when it was new. I was watching a movie on HBO during the day and playing a game or something and it just came on afterwards. Had no idea what it was. When I saw Sean Bean....my first thought was that it was a straight to DVD movie....before seeing that it was the first episode of a new series. But it grabbed my attention immediately. This isn't a dig against the first episode of 'House of the Dragon'.....but it pales in comparison to the first episode of GoT.

Again....it's the first episode. The setup for where the show is going was definitely good. My judgement will be withheld until more characters are introduced.

Just finished also. Hell of a final season. Gonna miss the Breaking Bad universe.

Watched the 1st two episodes of "She-Hulk" on Disney+.

Actually liked it a little more than I expected. tone is fairly light, but it wasn't too jokey.

based on the Marvel comic character. attorney Jennifer Walters is the cousin of Bruce Banner, aka The Hulk. she is exposed to his blood and gains the ability to "hulk out," which complicates her career and social life.

the show takes after the comic, which frequently featured She-Hulk "breaking the 4th wall" and talking directly to the readers - or in this case, the viewers.

show is 9 episodes. new episodes being released every Thursday.

Watched the 1st two episodes of "She-Hulk" on Disney+.

Actually liked it a little more than I expected. tone is fairly light, but it wasn't too jokey.

based on the Marvel comic character. attorney Jennifer Walters is the cousin of Bruce Banner, aka The Hulk. she is exposed to his blood and gains the ability to "hulk out," which complicates her career and social life.

the show takes after the comic, which frequently featured She-Hulk "breaking the 4th wall" and talking directly to the readers - or in this case, the viewers.

show is 9 episodes. new episodes being released every Thursday.
I liked it as well. It is not Loki, Moon Knight, or Wandavision but has been entertaining so far. As a kid, I collected the She-Hulk comics which I still have in a box somewhere with my other comics.

1661546881801.png

The day has finally arrived. Got my popcorn ready.

I enjoyed this episode far more than I thought I would. Minus the awful "birthing" scene.

Excited for what the rest of the season will bring.

10M viewers tuned in, HBO record for a premiere. 2nd season already approved

Haven't seen a single episode of either.

o_O

I'm pretty sure there had been good reviews on here, but I did finally watch the first episode of The Old Man. (on Hulu, no commercials)

Definitely enjoyed and will continue!

Bridges is awesome

Hi, first time poster. While perusing the ‘net saw this Yahoo comment on the Rings of Power. There are rumors of a great odor rising in middle earth. Should we watch. Discuss.

BobLOBLAWlawBLOG
3 hours ago

It began with the forging of the great films. Threads were given by JRR Tolkien, immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Rights were granted to Jackson, great miner and craftsman of the mountain of lore. And nine, nine hours were gifted to the race of men, who above all else, desire quality. But they were all of them deceived, for another show was made. In the land of Amazon, in the fires of Mount Prime, the Dark Lord Bezos forged in secret a master flop. And into this show he poured his money, his greed and his will to dominate all film. One show to ruin them all.

I had some issues but seemed to resolve when I tried again a few hours later.

I thought it was good but I had low expectations. There can by necessity never be a GOT spin-off as expansive in scale as the original. We know the kingdoms, hierarchies, houses beforehand. No ice wall drama. We know *SPOILER* the Targaryens hold power until Robert. That doesn’t mean it can’t be incredible with a tighter focus on the infighting, alliances, politics. Will watch again 4.5/5.

Last edited:

Hard to say which one is “better” but they are both excellent. BCS starts so slow some might be tempted to throw in the towel the first season. Don’t! The character building and depth in BCS is a work of art. Some new, some old with a twist.

BB grabbed me from the get go. More humor, faster pace, Holy **** moments and cliffhangers in nearly every episode. Tight story.

I think BB probably has more rewatch value but BCS and BB are equally good. I enjoyed them both. Genius-level writing.

Despite the poor reviews I watched the Rings of Power. Maybe it was lowered expectations but I thought it was very good. Spectacular production value, some interesting characters, an expansion of Middle Earth world-building and mythology.

Maybe the elves in many cases looking more Vulcan than before triggered people. Or the return of Galadriel and Elrond and an expansion on their stories. More diverse casting in spots. It’s always hard to do prequels.

I am intrigued. Worth watching IMHO.

Despite the poor reviews I watched the Rings of Power. Maybe it was lowered expectations but I thought it was very good. Spectacular production value, some interesting characters, an expansion of Middle Earth world-building and mythology.

Maybe the elves in many cases looking more Vulcan than before triggered people. Or the return of Galadriel and Elrond and an expansion on their stories. More diverse casting in spots. It’s always hard to do prequels.

I am intrigued. Worth watching IMHO.
I thought it is pretty good too. They obviously spent a lot on it, but the visuals are amazing. The plot and story are a little “meh” so far, but it is only the first couple episodes. Seems like it got review bombed. A lot of Tolkien fans seem to be unhappy because the show isn’t always consistent with the lore in the Silmarillion, which leads to some inconsistencies.

I had some issues but seemed to resolve when I tried again a few hours later.

I thought it was good but I had low expectations. There can by necessity never be a GOT spin-off as expansive in scale as the original. We know the kingdoms, hierarchies, houses beforehand. No ice wall drama. We know *SPOILER* the Targaryens hold power until Robert. That doesn’t mean it can’t be incredible with a tighter focus on the infighting, alliances, politics. Will watch again 4.5/5.
I was a little hesitant of a GOT spin-off due to how poorly the 8th season went and I thought Matt Smith was an odd choice for Daemon. However, I have been pleasantly suprised so far. There is a fair amount of material to work with as well with the dance of dragons.

I thought it is pretty good too. They obviously spent a lot on it, but the visuals are amazing. The plot and story are a little “meh” so far, but it is only the first couple episodes. Seems like it got review bombed. A lot of Tolkien fans seem to be unhappy because the show isn’t always consistent with the lore in the Silmarillion, which leads to some inconsistencies.

You’re probably right but as I recall Jackson’s LOTR trilogy wasn’t entirely true to the books either. Tom Bombadil, etc. The tone and feel of Rings and Power is consistent with Jackson’s iconic Middle Earth movies which differentiates it from say, the very controversial take on the Star Wars universe, myth, character arcs with Last Jedi and the unmentionable awful third act. I shared in those negative reviews…

How fortunate are we to have two incredible but different worlds in GRR Martin’s GOT and Tolkien’s LOTR/ROP.

Top Bottom