All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

I don't know how far you are, but that is a show that just gets better and better with every season.

Absolutely agree. Such a great show.

Also agree with the Barry recommendation. Excellent show. Bill Hader is great. Can't imagine that it won't be back.

That's one Yay, and two Nays. I think we'll skip it. We also recently watched the first couple episodes of the fifth season of Arrested Development. Loved the original seasons, but it seems like they're just phoning it in with Netflix and recycling old jokes. Hmm...what else to try besides The Wire?
If you’ve ever been to Ireland - or not - I highly recommend Derry Girls. Hilarious characters.

I remember liking Lilyhammer, but it’s been a while.

I recently started two new shows. My wife and I watched the first season of Broadchurch and really liked it. I believe there are 3 seasons - I hope they can continue to carry a strong story through.

And I am in the middle of the second season of Ballers. Sports, sports agents, jersey chasers, etc....what's not to love?!

Go Gophers!!
All 3 seasons of Broadchurch are excellent. Then move on to Happy Valley. British Crime dramas are superb.

the wire is one that i need to watch again.

i have heard good things about true detective, but im not gonna pay hbo to watch it
The first season of True Detective, with Matthew McG and Woody H, was probably the most incredible shorter series I have ever seen. Holy shit. 8 episodes, so you can get through it faster than a 10-12 episode series, and it was amazing from start to finish. Probably the highest recommendation I have right now about anything to watch.

The second series was okay, some thought even less of it; the 3rd series was pretty decent but the Mahershala Ali character, holy crap, the way he mumbles made it just impossible to understand through the entire season.

A few other great comedies:

Catastrophe (Amazon)
Inbetweeners (Netflix)
American Vandal (Netflix)

If you’ve ever been to Ireland - or not - I highly recommend Derry Girls. Hilarious characters.

I remember liking Lilyhammer, but it’s been a while.
Studied abroad in Ireland. We have family in Northern Ireland, so also spent some time up there, though not in Derry. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I've seen previews for it. Seems like something my wife could get on board with too.

Studied abroad in Ireland. We have family in Northern Ireland, so also spent some time up there, though not in Derry. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I've seen previews for it. Seems like something my wife could get on board with too.
It's a must see, based upon your post. I had to use subtitles on occasion to catch everything - well worth the effort. If you end up liking it, you will have been hooked about 5 minutes into the first episode. Set in Northern Ireland in like 1980.

It's a must see, based upon your post. I had to use subtitles on occasion to catch everything - well worth the effort. If you end up liking it, you will have been hooked about 5 minutes into the first episode. Set in Northern Ireland in like 1980.
Oh! I guess I assumed it was set today based on the previews. Even more intrigued. Way off topic, but last night I just finished the book A Secret History of the IRA by Ed Moloney, which chronicles the Troubles from the '70s - 90s. Ironically, 9/11 played a role in the peace process. Bush & the US basically told the Irish & British governments to get their shit together on IRA disarmament as it ramped up the war on terror. A dense read but worth it for anyone interested in Irish history.

Funny story on accents. We're fairly close with our Irish relatives, so I spent some time with them and partied with my Irish cousins (third cousins or however it works out). Uncle Tom lived through the heat of the Troubles and apparently had some crazy stories, especially for an American college kid. So he starts telling me some of his stories, but with the accent and old man mumbles, I can't understand a single word. I eventually give up and just smile & nod, matching my reaction to his voice inflection.

It is set in the 90's. Ireland always looks like it is about 20 years behind.

It is set in the 90's. Ireland always looks like it is about 20 years behind.
Yep. You are correct. In any event a couple things still hold true. Troubles still going on - though it feels like everyone is pretty tired of it. No cell phones. No internet.

The primary nun is such an awesome character. But too many to list, honestly.

Wife and I started Away on Netflix over the past week. Hilary Swank is an astronaut on the first mission to Mars. It's pretty good so far as it hasn't been ridiculously sci fi and is more drama based looking at the characters lives and what they are leaving behind. Some action, and suspensful "space" related moments as well.

We also watched Dead to Me which I was surprised how much I liked.

I miss the Inbetweeners.
Thank you guys for The Inbetweeners recommendation. I started watching it this weekend and in episode 2, season 1, I found myself in a laugh attack that made it hard to breathe. It had been a long time since I've watched a British comedy (maybe back to the original Office) and I had forgotten how self-flagellating their comedies can be.

Thank you guys for The Inbetweeners recommendation. I started watching it this weekend and in episode 2, season 1, I found myself in a laugh attack that made it hard to breathe. It had been a long time since I've watched a British comedy (maybe back to the original Office) and I had forgotten how self-flagellating their comedies can be.
Fresh Meat should be next for you.

I'm in the midst of rewatching Cheers. I'm on season 9. What a great show.

I'm planning on Fresh Meat when I'm done. Looking forward to it!
It's funny how overlooked Cheers has become, at least in comparison to the likes of Seinfeld and Friends, who also shared Must See Thursdays (or whatever NBC termed it). This is no shot at those shows-Seinfeld's my favorite sitcom of all-time and Friends is like a PB&J sandwich-while not the best thing ever, it's always enjoyable. That being said, Cheers is likely #2 on the favorite sitcom list and has really aged so well, due to its great writing. The Sam/Diane/Coach years were just brilliant, but there wasn't much of a drop-off when Woody and then Rebecca made their way onto the show, which is astounding-has another show replaced a major cast member so effectively, much less two?

And since I'm on the topic, NBC really had a great run of sitcoms on Thursday nights, didn't they? The Cosby Show (early years), Family Ties, Night Court, along with Cheers made for a great night of comedy when I was in high school and then Seinfeld and Friends during college/early 20's. There were definitely some misses (Veronica's Closet, Suddenly Susan, Caroline in the City, and others that escape memory now), but for awhile there Thursday nights were golden.

Love it. Can't believe it took me so long to give it a go. 4 SCTV alum so far with two seasons to go.
Finished watching every episode of every season. Realize it won awards and all.....it was just......ok. (I might not have what it takes to enjoy sitcoms.)

It's funny how overlooked Cheers has become, at least in comparison to the likes of Seinfeld and Friends, who also shared Must See Thursdays (or whatever NBC termed it). This is no shot at those shows-Seinfeld's my favorite sitcom of all-time and Friends is like a PB&J sandwich-while not the best thing ever, it's always enjoyable. That being said, Cheers is likely #2 on the favorite sitcom list and has really aged so well, due to its great writing. The Sam/Diane/Coach years were just brilliant, but there wasn't much of a drop-off when Woody and then Rebecca made their way onto the show, which is astounding-has another show replaced a major cast member so effectively, much less two?

Completely agree on Cheers, still for sure in my favorite sit-coms. Several of the same parties involved with other great work place comedies, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show & Taxi.

As for the replacing actors aspect, MASH did it quite well with Harry Morgan/Mike Farrell/David Ogden Stiers replacing McLean Stevenson/Wayne Rogers/Larry Linville. I am working my way through that series, and it's clear there was no drop-off in quality except for maybe a little too much Klinger once Radar left.

Side note, watching it now I never previously realized how politically pointed it was. I did not quite grasp that as a kid.

Anybody on here have Apple TV+? Got it free with the purchase of an iPhone. I would say rather disappointing. It seems they are trying really hard for original content, throwing a boatload of money at a couple series (Morning Show and See). The writing on the Morning Show was suspect at best. It was at least tolerable enough to watch. I thought the best shows on there were "Servant" and "For All Mankind".

Recently signed up for the Disney+ bundle, so now I have Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. (I dropped netflix)

Started watching "The Mandalorian" on Disney+. Have seen the first four episodes - hope to catch the other four this weekend. enjoying it so far. production values are good. some good voice work from people like Nick Nolte playing alien characters and some interesting casting - renowned film director Werner Herzog shows up as a mysterious character

and I will note that the episodes run about 40 minutes or less - shorter than the Marvel shows that ran on Netflix - and the faster pace (IMHO) improves the show - not a lot of filler.

Season two is supposed to start in October.

Have not watched anything on Hulu yet. they do have some TV series that were not on netflix, so that might be something for a rainy day.

The Walking Dead returned Sunday with an episode that essentially wraps up Season 10 - but they will be coming back in early 2021 with 6 more season 10 episodes. Season 11 - the final season - will have 24 episodes in 2021 and 2022.

Then, I wasted an hour of my life watching the new spin-off series, "The World Beyond." my sarcastic reading of the premise - a group of really annoying kids who live in a community in Nebraska set out on a cross-country quest to show how annoying they can be. It's set 10 years after the start of the zombie apocalypse. These kids have led a fairly sheltered life and have no idea what things are like out in the real world. after watching the first episode, I am rooting for the zombies to eat them, because that would make them shut up and stop being annoying. On the zombie rating scale of 1 to 10 bites, I give it 1-1/2 bites.

The Walking Dead returned Sunday with an episode that essentially wraps up Season 10 - but they will be coming back in early 2021 with 6 more season 10 episodes. Season 11 - the final season - will have 24 episodes in 2021 and 2022.

Then, I wasted an hour of my life watching the new spin-off series, "The World Beyond." my sarcastic reading of the premise - a group of really annoying kids who live in a community in Nebraska set out on a cross-country quest to show how annoying they can be. It's set 10 years after the start of the zombie apocalypse. These kids have led a fairly sheltered life and have no idea what things are like out in the real world. after watching the first episode, I am rooting for the zombies to eat them, because that would make them shut up and stop being annoying. On the zombie rating scale of 1 to 10 bites, I give it 1-1/2 bites.
Thanks. I watched the terrible Season 10 episode. Luckily there was only one long speech made (I hate those a lot).

I recorded the "The World Beyond" but might not even bother. Next they will do a Melrose Place/Zombie mash-up...I might actually watch that now that I think about it.

We watched the first two seasons of Cobra Kai. If you liked Karate Kid the movie, I think you'll really enjoy the show. Looking forward to Seasons 3 & 4!

Go Miyagi-Do Karate!!

I feel like I've watched everything there is to watch and am just tapped for show ideas so I am watching Breaking Bad since I've only watched it through 1 time.

Top Bottom