All Things Treyton Thompson Recruiting Thread (Class of 2021) UPDATE 6/15: MN Offers

per Shama:

Jerry Kline Jr. told Sports Headliners yesterday there have been “no conversations” with Treyton Thompson or his family this spring about transferring to Cretin-Derham Hall. Conjecture in recent weeks has Thompson, a top 100 prep player for the class of 2021 and a verbal commit to the Gophers, playing his senior season for coach Kline.

Thompson, a native of Alexandria, Minnesota and a power forward, played as a junior at La Lumiere School in Indiana last year. He and his family inquired more than 12 months ago about a transfer to CDH but that wasn’t possible because metro area residence is required. It’s not known if Thompson is looking at other options than La Lumiere for his senior season.

Go Gophers!!

Gophers expected to sign 6-11 Minnesotan Treyton Thompson today

When Glenwood, Minn., native Treyton Thompson committed to the Gophers last November, he was fully aware of the criticism surrounding the program for failing to recruit in-state talent.

The 2019 and 2020 classes were absent of players from the Gophers’ backyard, most notably huge misses on All-Americas Matthew Hurt, Jalen Suggs and Dawson Garcia.

Thompson will end that drought Wednesday when he signs his letter of intent to play for Richard Pitino’s Gophers to begin college basketball’s early signing period.

“I didn’t really feel like I belonged anywhere else,” the 6-foot-11 four-star forward said. “Minnesota has been my home for all my life.”

After starting high school in Alexandria, Thompson left to play at La Lumiere Prep in Indiana. That left him homesick, looking forward even more to playing college basketball back in Minnesota. He wants to change the narrative by leading more in-state prospects to stay home.

“I’m definitely going to try and start a movement,” said Thompson, who is joined in the U’s 2021 recruiting class by Sunrise Christian (Kan.) center Kenny Pohto from Sweden. “I’m just extremely excited to be here. I love the energy of the crowd. Been in Williams Arena so many times.”

Go Gophers!!

Gophers expected to sign 6-11 Minnesotan Treyton Thompson today

When Glenwood, Minn., native Treyton Thompson committed to the Gophers last November, he was fully aware of the criticism surrounding the program for failing to recruit in-state talent.

The 2019 and 2020 classes were absent of players from the Gophers’ backyard, most notably huge misses on All-Americas Matthew Hurt, Jalen Suggs and Dawson Garcia.

Thompson will end that drought Wednesday when he signs his letter of intent to play for Richard Pitino’s Gophers to begin college basketball’s early signing period.

“I didn’t really feel like I belonged anywhere else,” the 6-foot-11 four-star forward said. “Minnesota has been my home for all my life.”

After starting high school in Alexandria, Thompson left to play at La Lumiere Prep in Indiana. That left him homesick, looking forward even more to playing college basketball back in Minnesota. He wants to change the narrative by leading more in-state prospects to stay home.

“I’m definitely going to try and start a movement,” said Thompson, who is joined in the U’s 2021 recruiting class by Sunrise Christian (Kan.) center Kenny Pohto from Sweden. “I’m just extremely excited to be here. I love the energy of the crowd. Been in Williams Arena so many times.”

Go Gophers!!

Great article on him and love his confidence in signing with the Gophs and his improvement.

Will be great to have here as as 3-4 year old player and ambassador for future in-state recruits

NATURAL BORN LEADER

He looks a little thicker. That is good. I'm excited to see him, haven't watched him live before.

He might be one of our only big men too...even though he isn't a big man
6-11 qualifies as a big man, at least tall, even if a bit thin. Probably not ready to start in the Big Ten, though. Looks like a possible 4 guards/small forwards and a power forward as a starting line up.

I would think he's a stretch 4. I thought Pohto looked B1G ready with his size, more so than Treyton. Pohto would be a big get for Richie down in New Mexico...

Top Bottom