All Things Treyton Thompson Recruiting Thread (Class of 2021) UPDATE 6/15: MN Offers

Both? Pitino if you make me pick one or the other, but I have no basis for any of it. .
Maybe not willing to kiss their arse? If a local player development program is intentionally steering kids away from the U then it needs to be replaced with another organization or leadership! I don’t expect them to “push” kids to go to the U, but they need to be fair for the sake of the all the kids that grow up in the state. I can see some kids being enticed by the bright lights of a Duke or such, but what is happening is much more than that.

A good program at the U helps develop a good youth program in the state. It is in the best interest of the youth development programs to have a strong program at the U. Look at how many of these good young players are a direct result of the players that Dutcher and Haskins (and the Twolves) brought into the state.

Pulley isn't playing EYBL next year so it makes sense for him.

Oh wow I wasn't aware of that. Too bad, they had a long good run. D1 and Sizzle have really taken them out. Can't imagine Tre stays to play 16s. Go play 17s with some else?

per the Alexandria Echo Press:

Thompson gave a verbal commitment to Minnesota and head coach Richard Pitino on Nov. 30, becoming the first commitment for the Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class.

“They have everything that I really want,” Thompson said. “The practice facility, the weight lifting and everything like that. The cafeteria for their athletes is right next to where I would be living. It’s one of the top places in the country now after they’ve redone it. Richard Pitino is a really good coach who has been around coaching his whole life with his dad being one of the better coaches. Overall, I just had a really good connection with them. I felt if I wanted to get to the next level after college, it would be a good spot to go to.”

Thompson grew up a fan of the Gophers and said that did play into his decision some. It started from his time performing with the Aces, Alexandria’s youth performance basketball team that put on shows at halftimes all over the country.

“I remember watching them play and wanting to be a part of that,” Thompson said of the Gophers. “That influenced me a lot. Also, I just want to make an impact on all the other Minnesota kids, trying to tell them Minnesota is a good college, stay home. My parents, my grandparents, they all want to watch me, so they’ll probably come to every single game.”

Go Gophers!!

per Bossi:

As for Thompson, this was my first time ever seeing him in person. He's slight of build but has very good hands and is mobile with some lateral quickness. He went to work in the post and wasn't scared to attack stronger players and relied on getting good position and soft touch to finish. He's got a long way to go physically for sure, but he's a nice early pickup for Richard Pitino and the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Holy s$$$ an mn out state tall white kid that chose us over wi or a big east catholic school? Wtf is happening?

Iowa for sure but UW was a pass, they like where they are in that class.
Curious to why? He's prototypical Wisconsin big (not because he's white either). Don't know where they are at in that class yet .

They love Crowl in the previous class are far along with others in the next class.

They love Crowl in the previous class are far along with others in the next class.
Gross on Crowl, but I respect Gard and expect him to prove me wrong . Was hoping you'd share Some names for Treytons class.

Gross on Crowl, but I respect Gard and expect him to prove me wrong . Was hoping you'd share Some names for Treytons class.
I believe they already have 3 commits in that class already (check 247) and signed crowl and carlson who are similar players for 2020 can understand why they didnt offer

STrib: For Gophers recruit Treyton Thompson, home state had major appeal

He became the first Minnesotan to commit to the Gophers as a high school junior since former Cretin-Derham Hall standout Daniel Oturu three years ago. Oturu’s class in 2018 was the last with local recruits.

“They didn’t have a really good reputation of getting Minnesota kids,” Thompson said. “I kind of wanted to change that, change the culture of it and help the Gophers and myself. Kind of leading a path for future people to stay home.”

The Gophers finished a disappointing 15-16 last season, but that didn’t change Thompson’s mind. He picked the Gophers after being offered scholarships by Iowa, Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

One major factor was proximity, especially since his family has to make a 10-hour trek to see him play for La Lumiere and can’t watch every game. He plans to return there for his senior season.

“There was no reason I needed to go away for college,” Thompson said. “Minnesota had everything I wanted.”

Go Gophers!!

He seems like one that will stay recruited regardless of what happens with Pitino. Playing for the U over everything

STrib: For Gophers recruit Treyton Thompson, home state had major appeal

He became the first Minnesotan to commit to the Gophers as a high school junior since former Cretin-Derham Hall standout Daniel Oturu three years ago. Oturu’s class in 2018 was the last with local recruits.

“They didn’t have a really good reputation of getting Minnesota kids,” Thompson said. “I kind of wanted to change that, change the culture of it and help the Gophers and myself. Kind of leading a path for future people to stay home.”

The Gophers finished a disappointing 15-16 last season, but that didn’t change Thompson’s mind. He picked the Gophers after being offered scholarships by Iowa, Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

One major factor was proximity, especially since his family has to make a 10-hour trek to see him play for La Lumiere and can’t watch every game. He plans to return there for his senior season.

“There was no reason I needed to go away for college,” Thompson said. “Minnesota had everything I wanted.”

Go Gophers!!

Signs like a leader to me and is the type of player that Fleck would want rowing!

Quick, tough point point guard. Understands how to play, how to control a game. Every aspect of his game has taken off. Incredibly well coached.
How does this apply to Treyton Thompson?

“Picking up steam on Tyrese Hunter.” Does this refer to Minnesota’s efforts recruiting this young man? Please tell me you aren’t referencing Wiscy.

How does this apply to Treyton Thompson?

“Picking up steam on Tyrese Hunter.” Does this refer to Minnesota’s efforts recruiting this young man? Please tell me you aren’t referencing Wiscy.
Not at all. Saw the 2021 Thompson thread and not a 2021 thread. I did not mention UW. When i want to bring up UW to make a point i do so. Not the case here.

Picking up steam on Tyrese Hunter.

Do you mean Hunter's recruitment is generally picking up steam, or do you mean there is something picking up specific to the Gophers and Hunter? Potential commitment soon? Or not that much steam?

Do you mean Hunter's recruitment is generally picking up steam, or do you mean there is something picking up specific to the Gophers and Hunter? Potential commitment soon? Or not that much steam?
As a whole it has gone wild. Not sure with the Gophers as we have a tough sell for 2021 but it is one of our offers with a great deal of effort.

As a whole it has gone wild. Not sure with the Gophers as we have a tough sell for 2021 but it is one of our offers with a great deal of effort.
Why hasn't Gard offered him? Hunter is currently ranked the #2 player in Wisconsin

Well, that's kind of disappointing. Just telling us that general recruiting is picking up on a highly-rated kid from Wisconsin within a Treyton Thomspon thread is a bit strange. I thought you maybe had something specific to Minnesota.

Top Bottom