All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

one of the reasons I never understood Tre going to Michigan St. Akins along with some of their other young guards are establishing themselves as longer term starters for them. He’s gonna have an uphill battle at getting playing time

Last edited:

one of the reasons I never understood Tre going to Michigan St. Akins along with some of their other young guards are establishing themselves as longer term starters for them. He’s gonna have an uphill battle at getting playing time
Because you are looking from the perspective of an adult who has experienced both success and failure and probably has developed a rationale idea of what's possible for you. Now put yourself back to being 17 or 18 years of age. You are the best athlete in your high school and probably have been since Sophomore year. Articles are being written about you and coaches like Izzo are showing up to watch you play. I think a lot of kids could have a prime Allen Iverson ahead of them and still think they were going to play PG as Freshmen. It's why I am not a big fan of the concept of avoiding "blocking" a recruit by bringing in someone at their position a year ahead of them. Many of the good ones are going to believe they are going to play regardless because they have never experienced any other outcome.

Portal

Because you are looking from the perspective of an adult who has experienced both success and failure and probably has developed a rationale idea of what's possible for you. Now put yourself back to being 17 or 18 years of age. You are the best athlete in your high school and probably have been since Sophomore year. Articles are being written about you and coaches like Izzo are showing up to watch you play. I think a lot of kids could have a prime Allen Iverson ahead of them and still think they were going to play PG as Freshmen. It's why I am not a big fan of the concept of avoiding "blocking" a recruit by bringing in someone at their position a year ahead of them. Many of the good ones are going to believe they are going to play regardless because they have never experienced any other outcome.

This is a great comment. Generally you take talent where you can get it and figure it out later. What I will say is from a program stability standpoint at our current position in the food chain, I think you have to be clear in mapping out when and how a recruit’s career is going to play out especially in the portal era. This isn’t much of a concern for Sparty but for say, 95% of the programs in the country, an unexpected transfer or two can completely derail a program that’s building. I think that approach works better in football as basketball is much more delicate.

At the end of the day, it becomes a thing of what are the aspirations for a recruit like Tre and athletes at a similar level to him. It’s hard to ignore the prestige of a Michigan State and the opportunity to play for a HOF coach but at the same time, is the program prioritizing your development because it can make or break longer term plans for the program or are you another cog in the wheel that fills a particular role on the team? Tre’s been a lead guard probably from the moment he started playing organized basketball and now is walking into a situation where he’s going to be asked to play off ball a lot more than he’s used to. The issue is he doesn’t really have the skill set to be an effective off ball guard and neither does Akins so something will have to give as they’ll potentially play together for 3 years.

I’ve always thought that an advisory program would be good for aspiring college athletes but no idea how you would implement that without bias.

Aikins is a long way from being a star. 27% from 3. 58% from the line… 10 turnovers and 3 assists. Interesting to see how he develops and looks at the end of January

Shooter checks in:

—Tre Holloman, the Michigan State freshman guard from Cretin-Derham Hall, is averaging 1.6 points and 10.4 minutes in all 17 games for the 12-5 Spartans, who host the Gophers on Feb.

Go Gophers!!

Shooter checks in:

—Tre Holloman, the Michigan State freshman guard from Cretin-Derham Hall, is averaging 1.6 points and 10.4 minutes in all 17 games for the 12-5 Spartans, who host the Gophers on Feb.
This is why I haven't been critical of our freshmen. So far, they're coming along nicely. By the END of the season...last 5 regular-season games...is when I will be looking for more consistent play.

Evans & Christie are higher rated...so with them I hope for slightly faster progress.

This is why I haven't been critical of our freshmen. So far, they're coming along nicely. By the END of the season...last 5 regular-season games...is when I will be looking for more consistent play.

Evans & Christie are higher rated...so with them I hope for slightly faster progress.
It also shows that recruiting isn't an exact science.

Holloman is rated higher (by most measures) than Christie and similar (slightly lower) than Evans. I think most people would have thought Holloman might be more ready than Evans to contribute right away. That isn't a critique of Evans, I just think Evans has an astronomical upside but maybe a slightly steeper learning curve (like most 7 footers).

Holloman going to Michigan State was always going to be an uphill battle for him. They had Akins & walker coming back this year. Both of whom will still be around next year as well.
and they also have another top 30ish PG coming in next years class. so his future minutes are going to be harder to find.

Top Bottom