All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

Been on the Mn bb wagon for 5 decades. Talking to me about fast and patience?
Please.
Just sign the best kids. Win. Big. Your view may change after your 3rd or 4th decade.
Penny Hardaway signs the best kids. How’s it been going at Memphis? How good was Duke last year? Do you need to get talented players? Of course, but being old and developing those kids win more in ncaa basketball. Baylor is a great example. Drew used to signed McDonalds all Americans and didn’t win a ton. Switched to getting 3-4 year kids and preached defending hard and they won the championship. Go look at Virginia, Wisconsin, Purdue, and other programs that we can realistically emulate.

Well said. Another top target from this class goes elsewhere.

When is it going to be expected that these types of players sign in Mn?
Next year? Two years? Three?

All this talk of building the “culture “ is code for excuses.

Landing Tre means nothing without a solid foundation. Penny Hardaway’s put together classes we would dream of and in three years, he hasn’t come close to contending for the title in the AAC. Watchers of the Big Ten should know better than anyone, the importance of culture and in not skipping steps in establishing a program. It’s Izzo’s culture that Tre bought into…after watching the Gophers run MSU off the court last year, it sure isn’t the talent on roster.

I’m not excuse making here, Ben prioritized Tre since he’s been hired and missed. Missed on Heide too. Even though I have the view I do on building the program, coaches deserve criticism when they miss on targets or make missteps on guys they take…it’s part of the game but where we are needs to shape expectations early in the process. Matt Painter went 9-19, finished with the 55th ranked recruiting class in the country and missed on anybody worth a damn in the state of Indiana in his first season. It was after that season when things really started turn particularly in recruiting when he actually had something to sell recruits. First year coaches are selling hopes and dreams, that’s not getting you top tier talent.

Explain the culture of UNLV with Augmon Johnson and company.

What is the culture is Ames with TJ?
Tark had a type of kid he recruited. His kids fit their system. They played a match up zone and relied on transition offense. They recruited kids that fit that.
I have no idea on TJ. I don’t think he’s personally a great coach. Jury is out on him still for me.

Tark had a type of kid he recruited. His kids fit their system. They played a match up zone and relied on transition offense. They recruited kids that fit that.
I have no idea on TJ. I don’t think he’s personally a great coach. Jury is out on him still for me.
Not type of kid. Explain the culture. Favorite buzzword now.
I didn’t ask about TJ being a great or poor coach. Culture to land the kids he has?

Been around long enough. Mn isn't going to be destination for top recruits overnight.

I'm willing to let it play out.
If that’s the case you should have enough information to be realistic about mn bb and expect more from the program, without resetting in another 4 years which seems all right to you. Not to me.

Not type of kid. Explain the culture. Favorite buzzword now.
I didn’t ask about TJ being a great or poor coach. Culture to land the kids he has?
Good coaches build culture. Playing style is part of the culture. Having a system in place that is focused on player development. Recruiting kids who are bought into doing things the way the program is set up too. This is different with every coach and program. You can call culture a buzzword, but to high level coaches it’s been their focus for decades. I don’t know what TJs approach to culture is, I just know that his teams underachieved in my opinion. I watched his UNLV teams get out worked other MW schools. Similar to former Supreme Court Justice Potters definitions of obscenity, in regards to good culture “I know it when I see it”.

If that’s the case you should have enough information to be realistic about mn bb and expect more from the program, without resetting in another 4 years which seems all right to you. Not to me.
I expect solid growth over next 4 years.

On the court, in gym, and on recruiting trail. I expect ben to get us in top half of B1g and win damn thing once in awhile. I expect it'll take him time to do so considering current state of the program and the (lack of) history of program.

Good coaches build culture. Playing style is part of the culture. Having a system in place that is focused on player development. Recruiting kids who are bought into doing things the way the program is set up too. This is different with every coach and program. You can call culture a buzzword, but to high level coaches it’s been their focus for decades. I don’t know what TJs approach to culture is, I just know that his teams underachieved in my opinion. I watched his UNLV teams get out worked other MW schools. Similar to former Supreme Court Justice Potters definitions of obscenity, in regards to good culture “I know it when I see it”.
TJ signs top kids without culture and getting out worked, apparently. If you believe BADGER, kids and parents see that. Yet, Ames here we come.

I expect solid growth over next 4 years.

On the court, in gym, and on recruiting trail. I expect ben to get us in top half of B1g and win damn thing once in awhile. I expect it'll take him time to do so considering current state of the program and the (lack of) history of program.
Proper culture begins in the classroom, something not on your superfan, patient radar.
Lots of coaches and programs win in a year or 2. Mn can’t. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Izzo has been prioritizing recruitment of Tre from well before Johnson was hired. MSU fans were getting antsy after some of Izzo's A plan players announced for elsewhere. I don't think Johnson and staff were going to outwork izzo's staff for him, and he's the first MSU recruit for the class.

Izzo has been prioritizing recruitment of Tre from well before Johnson was hired. MSU fans were getting antsy after some of Izzo's A plan players announced for elsewhere. I don't think Johnson and staff were going to outwork izzo's staff for him, and he's the first MSU recruit for the class.
Not going to outwork MSU even though he is in your backyard??

Excuse.

Proper culture begins in the classroom, something not on your superfan, patient radar.
Lots of coaches and programs win in a year or 2. Mn can’t. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yup, classroom too. I expect clean program, assumed that was obvious.

Izzo was on him for at least two years before Ben. They actually were being outworked by Ben and staff this summer on Tre which made people wonder if MSU was backing off of Tre or if Izzo was so confident that he didn't need to put in the effort. Guess we now know the answer.

Izzo was on him for at least two years before Ben. They actually were being outworked by Ben and staff this summer on Tre which made people wonder if MSU was backing off of Tre or if Izzo was so confident that he didn't need to put in the effort. Guess we now know the answer.
Izzo not showing love.

Looks no different than Pitino level recruiting, so far. Carrington was good news. The heat won’t go away if he’s the only local that Ben lands. I’m still hoping for 2-3 more, but Tre was the priority and this has to sting.

Ben and MN staff were at every one of his AAU games. I don’t think they were out worked. They haven’t had the opportunity to work as long.

Looks no different than Pitino level recruiting, so far. Carrington was good news. The heat won’t go away if he’s the only local that Ben lands. I’m still hoping for 2-3 more, but Tre was the priority and this has to sting.
No sting, according to a few here it was expected he would go MSU.

My thoughts if anyone cares.
Tre choosing MSU over MN isn’t surprising. I truly believe that Ben did all he could and outworked Izzo but in the end, the relationship between Tre and Izzo developed over the span of a couple of years (plus having a much more successful program) was more than Ben could make up over a few months. Wished we could’ve had him, but understandable that we didn’t.
Now, as for BarnBurner, it’s telling that he (or she) highlights all the recruiting misses and negative news and his only comment in the Carrington thread was some emoji-filled response teasing another poster who was excited. With that, obviously this guy is preferring bad news to good news. So, either he’s a troll, which I doubt since he’s been here for 10 years. I believe he’s a fan but for some reason wants the U/Ben to fail. No FAN should want that. Ever. The responses seem irrational so I believe it’s personal for some reason. I have to wonder why exactly he’s so bitter about Ben/the U?

Tre decided to go elsewhere. Cant get every kid. There are other states to recruit from too. I think some people forget this.
“can’t get every kid”

Agreed.

Can’t get top in state player.?

I’m not really sure why people expected Johnson to land Holloman.

Why would he come here? Lesser program with a new coach. I think they put in a lot of effort knowing it was unlikely. Gotta aim high.

Hopefully Payne and some others hop on board. Start with a nice class and build with it. It will take time to win here but Johnson’s approach is different which may be good—it’s been a while since there was a consistent winner

Tre decided to go elsewhere. Cant get every kid. There are other states to recruit from too. I think some people forget this.
I don’t care where kids come from but when a coach is brought in to recruit locally and is lauded for that ability and misses top kids...it’s a bad look. Either for the coach or the AD or both

My thoughts if anyone cares.
Tre choosing MSU over MN isn’t surprising. I truly believe that Ben did all he could and outworked Izzo but in the end, the relationship between Tre and Izzo developed over the span of a couple of years (plus having a much more successful program) was more than Ben could make up over a few months. Wished we could’ve had him, but understandable that we didn’t.
Now, as for BarnBurner, it’s telling that he (or she) highlights all the recruiting misses and negative news and his only comment in the Carrington thread was some emoji-filled response teasing another poster who was excited. With that, obviously this guy is preferring bad news to good news. So, either he’s a troll, which I doubt since he’s been here for 10 years. I believe he’s a fan but for some reason wants the U/Ben to fail. No FAN should want that. Ever. The responses seem irrational so I believe it’s personal for some reason. I have to wonder why exactly he’s so bitter about Ben/the U?
Hold on. Are you saying Johnson had no relationship with tre prior to becoming hc???? Telling.

Wished. Isn’t surprising. Understandable.
WOW. These are the terms of excuses. Well done.
BTW. I want nothing more than the Mn men’s bb team to be national champion. That means I want Johnson to be wildly successful.
You do you.

Top Bottom