All Things Transfer Portal News

Most, if not all companies, have language in their code of conduct or similar about going to work for a competitor in your industry. It is generally a one year non-compete clause. Since all these teams are in the same industry, the one year sit out rule makes sense.

Here is another thought: Hold head coaches to the same standard. Part of me believes that is what started this mess in the first place. At the very least, they can't be moving around until the bowl season is complete.

Most, if not all companies, have language in their code of conduct or similar about going to work for a competitor in your industry. It is generally a one year non-compete clause. Since all these teams are in the same industry, the one year sit out rule makes sense.

Here is another thought: Hold head coaches to the same standard. Part of me believes that is what started this mess in the first place. At the very least, they can't be moving around until the bowl season is complete.
Non-competes are garbage and are almost entirely unenforceable as an unreasonable restraint on trade. Even the ones that are enforceable have to be extremely limited in scope. So, in theory, a non-compete that said you have to sit out a year to play in the same conference would be more likely to be enforceable than a rule that allowed it nationwide.

A non-compete agreement analogous to the one you're suggesting would never be enforceable.

They are put there to scare people.

Non-solicits have a bit more teeth (you can't go after clients or fellow employees).

The ruling by the ncaa has no writing that indicated anything about transfers. Many organizations have rules for eligibility for moving. If the ncaa had a 1 year transfer sit out requirement and the SCOTUS overturned it they’d be blowing up a large number of organizations and there would be massive fallout (MSHSL included)
As simple as a non compete clause for one year, seems to make sense.

Elijah Spencer ranked the #12 transfer by ESPN+.

12. Elijah Spencer, WR​

Transferring to: Minnesota | Transferring from: Charlotte

HT: 6-1 | WT: 193 | Class: Sophomore

Background: Spencer won four state titles at Dutch Fork High School in Irm, South Carolina. He signed with Charlotte as a three-star prospect and was tied for the team lead with six touchdowns in 12 games in a debut season in which he was named Conference USA Freshman of the Year. He followed that up with an excellent 2022 season, putting up 943 yards on 57 receptions with nine touchdowns.

How he fits at Minnesota: Minnesota is returning receiver Chris Autman-Bell in 2023, who dealt with injuries this season but led the team with six receiving touchdowns in the 2021 season. The staff is also bringing back Daniel Jackson, who led the team this season in receiving touchdowns. Adding Spencer gives the Gophers an outside threat who has multiple seasons of eligibility remaining. He'll make the offense more difficult to cover and more versatile in what it can do for 2023.

Any chance the Gophers give real interest in Bothroyd? He would be coming to a good defense and give sacks the Gophers lacked.

Notre Dame has expressed interest.

Ky Thomas is in the portal from Kansas. Have to believe he would have a starting role at the U should he transfer home. I would doubt it though, it seems like K-state is his destination.

Ky Thomas is in the portal from Kansas. Have to believe he would have a starting role at the U should he transfer home. I would doubt it though, it seems like K-state is his destination.
No chance he comes here.

Any chance the Gophers give real interest in Bothroyd? He would be coming to a good defense and give sacks the Gophers lacked.

Notre Dame has expressed interest.

I think we'd likely be interested but I think he'll end up at helmet school.

Bryson Green is in the portal. Seth’s brother. Also Verdis Brown, part of the IMG group we had recruited a few years back.

Would think there would have been some mutual interest with Bryson, but might not have space at this point. He had some big games this year as a true sophomore.

Bryson Green is in the portal. Seth’s brother. Also Verdis Brown, part of the IMG group we had recruited a few years back.

Would think there would have been some mutual interest with Bryson, but might not have space at this point. He had some big games this year as a true sophomore.
Interesting. . . his twin bro hasn't entered (yet).

This article had an interesting quote that could be a lesson.

"Some reported that Notre Dame took 2nd place for [freshman DL Anthony] Lucas, who eventually chose Texas A&M – which was part of a massive recruiting class for the Aggies that was seen as a huge NIL cash heist, and now many of those recruits are on the portal right now."

This article had an interesting quote that could be a lesson.

"Some reported that Notre Dame took 2nd place for [freshman DL Anthony] Lucas, who eventually chose Texas A&M – which was part of a massive recruiting class for the Aggies that was seen as a huge NIL cash heist, and now many of those recruits are on the portal right now."

A&M has a massive number transfers out. 28 players. I'd love to know that backstory.

A&M has a massive number transfers out. 28 players. I'd love to know that backstory.
Wow.....had to look for myself....that is a massive number of transfers out and a lot of them have 3-4 years left so they haven't been with A&M long.

They made way too many promises. Tons of those NIL deals are based on exposure (ie playing time). They were sold a bill of goods by a grifter but it’s hard to feel too bad for them, they’re like the guys who fall in love at the strip club.

I’m sure Petrino will help clean this up.

They made way too many promises. Tons of those NIL deals are based on exposure (ie playing time). They were sold a bill of goods by a grifter but it’s hard to feel too bad for them, they’re like the guys who fall in love at the strip club.

And now they’re being poached by other tampering coaches and being sold another bill of goods per Jimbo Fisher. Just like any other business, competing solely on price is a ruthless endeavor.

It could go both ways too. Chasing after guys who have the lure of money too high on their list of priorities might not produce a lot of loyalty out of them. Another glimpse into the dark side of NIL.

It could go both ways too. Chasing after guys who have the lure of money too high on their list of priorities might not produce a lot of loyalty out of them. Another glimpse into the dark side of NIL.
100%. I am sure there are locker rooms where it is all about who is getting paid the most which leads to hurt feelings and in-fighting.

Thankfully those guys who are just in it for the money are unlikely to be an option for us and those are the kind of guys that don't fit Fleck's mold anyway in terms of emphasizing more than just football.

Iowa has completely cleared house in the QB room, but none of the coaching is changing. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think only the kid that played in the Bowl is coming back and they are getting McNamara from Michigan and Deacon Hill from Wisconsin.

Interesting that Arland Bruce hasn't found a home yet.

He can’t start because he has to sit a year

Wisconsin's new O Coordinator suggesting they have 5 new transfer commitments from this weekend alone. Sheesh. Likely highlighted by former USC WR C.J. Williams. If I got it accurate, they had 3 WR visit this weekend and I believe 3 OL. I'm sure there's more but they're gonna have an entire new team at this point.

Wisconsin's new O Coordinator suggesting they have 5 new transfer commitments from this weekend alone. Sheesh. Likely highlighted by former USC WR C.J. Williams. If I got it accurate, they had 3 WR visit this weekend and I believe 3 OL. I'm sure there's more but they're gonna have an entire new team at this point.

Going full Mel Tucker on it.

Top Bottom