All Things "Top 5" Thread (Movies, TV Shows, Cities, Countries, Actors, Beers, Restaurants, Athletes, Sporting Events etc.)

Top 5 minor Dazed & Confused characters who remind me of my HS/hometown:
1. Clint (the hothead who is up for a fight from the slightest provocation at a party)
2. Carl (the freshman who is obnoxious and everyone wouldn't mind seeing his ass get kicked, and he stays that way through high school)
3. Jodi (Mitch's older sister who gets Pink into hot water with his girlfriend as the hot girl who likes to stir shit up without putting out)
4. Benny (the friend who gets pissed off when he thinks you are getting too generous handing out the beers)
5. Pickford's Dad (the parent who wises up to the plans at inopportune times to squelch the good times of the teens)

1. Clint (the hothead who is up for a fight from the slightest provocation at a party)
2. Carl (the freshman who is obnoxious and everyone wouldn't mind seeing his ass get kicked, and he stays that way through high school)
3. Jodi (Mitch's older sister who gets Pink into hot water with his girlfriend as the hot girl who likes to stir shit up without putting out)
4. Benny (the friend who gets pissed off when he thinks you are getting too generous handing out the beers)
5. Pickford's Dad (the parent who wises up to the plans at inopportune times to squelch the good times of the teens)
6. Hirschfelder. He was so close to getting some. Carl ruined it for him.

Top 5 Jurassic Park Heroes (this was a major discussion last night at dinner) (Nokomis family consensus, not my personal picks):
1. T-Rex
2. Dr. Grant
3. Lex
4. Dr. Satler
5. Muldoon

6. Hirschfelder. He was so close to getting some. Carl ruined it for him.
Good call on Hirschfelder. Not only was he denied getting some, but to be immediately followed up with a paddling was a cruel twist of fate.

Over the years, Carl has established himself as far and away my most despised character from D&C. Plus, his Mom was the original helicopter/lawn mower parent.

In my self-projection of the future, when they are seniors, Mitch is Pink's equivalent while Carl becomes O'Bannion. Hirschfelder would seem to slide into Benny's role (he's got the offensive lineman build), while Randy (can't exactly recall his name?) could go either the route of Slater or Doug. Mitch definitely needs to develop a better crew in those intervening years.

Good call on Hirschfelder. Not only was he denied getting some, but to be immediately followed up with a paddling was a cruel twist of fate.

Over the years, Carl has established himself as far and away my most despised character from D&C. Plus, his Mom was the original helicopter/lawn mower parent.

In my self-projection of the future, when they are seniors, Mitch is Pink's equivalent while Carl becomes O'Bannion. Hirschfelder would seem to slide into Benny's role (he's got the offensive lineman build), while Randy (can't exactly recall his name?) could go either the route of Slater or Doug. Mitch definitely needs to develop a better crew in those intervening years.
Mitch would go on to have a son who would pitch for the S.F. Giants.

I dig Cynthia, a redhead who can play poker. At my HS/hometown it was more likely to be euchre.

I dig Cynthia, a redhead who can play poker. At my HS/hometown it was more likely to be euchre.
She nearly made the cut-but as the smart girl who fell for the skeezy guy who paid her some attention. I believe every small town has a Cynthia or two in their midst.

She nearly made the cut-but as the smart girl who fell for the skeezy guy who paid her some attention. I believe every small town has a Cynthia or two in their midst.
8. Julie. Soph. girl Mitch spends time with on the blanket. I still use her line when she is asked what's up at the emporium . " Nothing, nothing at all."

8. Julie. Soph. girl Mitch spends time with on the blanket. I still use her line when she is asked what's up at the emporium . " Nothing, nothing at all."
9. The store clerk who sold Mitch beer. Every small town has the convenience store worker that makes fake ID fiends and five finger discount artists light up when they are on the clock.

Correct.

9. Liquor Store Clerk. "Eat a green everyday...see you tomorrow. " He would appear in Linklater's movie, Boyhood as a liquor store clerk as well.
Jinx, dude. I owe you a Coke-you beat my post by about 30 seconds.

Jinx, dude. I owe you a Coke-you beat my post by about 30 seconds.
Cherry Coke please.

I use that movie almost everyday in some way. I don't even think about it anymore, it just happens. I do not use, "alright, alright, alright" though. Too cliché.

I use that movie almost everyday in some way. I don't even think about it anymore, it just happens. I do not use, "alright, alright, alright" though. Too cliché.

The line I use often (even if it's just in my own head) is Wooderson's "It would be a lot cooler if you did."

top 5 chicago movies

ferris bueller
adventures in babysitting
the fugitive
high fidelity
the untouchables

honorable mention for the dark knight movies, but its not really chicago. also, for blues brothers. would have made the list, but im not a fan. also, anything john hughes.

Probably already done somewhere in this thread, but the quotes above got me thinking about...

Famous movie quotes

“I'm walking here. I'm walking here!”

“You talking to me?”

“What we got here is failure to communicate”.

“Say hello to my little friend”

“Bond. Jame Bond”

No particular order. So many good ones.

Probably already done somewhere in this thread, but the quotes above got me thinking about...

Famous movie quotes

“I'm walking here. I'm walking here!”

“You talking to me?”

“What we got here is failure to communicate”.

“Say hello to my little friend”

“Bond. Jame Bond”

No particular order. So many good ones.
I always thought this was an underrated movie quote. 1000 GH points for the first to name the movie.
"That your purse? That's a nice purse."

I always thought this was an underrated movie quote. 1000 GH points for the first to name the movie.
"That your purse? That's a nice purse."
Trading Places

Another great line from a different movie: "I need to go return some videotapes." Who knows it?

Last edited:

I just watched most of the movie for the umpteenth, time. I think the Asst Football Coaches' Shorts were overlooked in this ranking.

I just watched most of the movie for the umpteenth, time. I think the Asst Football Coaches' Shorts were overlooked in this ranking.
Absolutely. That was a 100% accurate picture of some of my Junior High and High School coaches.

Absolutely. That was a 100% accurate picture of some of my Junior High and High School coaches.
My tennis coach wore shorts so short they were obscene even for the 80's.

5 favorite Ringo songs:

1. It Don't Come Easy
2. With a Little Help From My Friends
3. Photograph
4. Act Naturally
5. Boys

Last edited:

5 favorite George songs:

1. Here Comes the Sun
2. What is Life?
3. If I Needed Someone
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps